May 7th, 2008

Voter tells McCain his temper is 'something of concern'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/07/art.mccainrochester.ap.jpg caption="McCain stumps in Michigan on Wednesday."]

ROCHESTER HILLS, Michigan (CNN) - What temper? John McCain parried away a question Wednesday about his supposedly hot-headed demeanor by talking up his long bipartisan record in the United States Senate.

“If I had some problem as such has been described, my friends, I would not have been able to work with Joe Lieberman and Russ Feingold and Ted Kennedy and all the other members on the other side of the aisle,” McCain said, responding to a Republican voter who described McCain’s temper as “something of concern.”

The voter read McCain a quote from Republican Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, who said in January that “the thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine.”

“He is erratic,” Cochran told the Boston Globe. “He is hotheaded. He loses his temper."

“I am familiar with the quote,” McCain cracked, as the questioner recounted Cochran’s comments.

McCain then confirmed he does get angry - about pork barrel spending.

“Well, I will confess to you my friend, that I get angry,” he explained. “I got angry when I saw a guy named Abramoff that ripped of Native Americans for millions and millions and millions of dollars that ended up putting him in federal prison.”

“I get angry when I see 233 million of your tax dollars going to an island, to a bridge on an island with 50 people on it,” he said. “I get angry when I see corruption to the point when we have former members of Congress residing in federal prison.

“And you know something? The American people are angry too, and they’re not going to take it any more.”

Filed under: John McCain
  1. tidho

I'm not too worried about McCain's temper. He's smart enought to know when to hold it. He may be a bear to work for, but that won't stop me from voting for him.
    ...other things might, but not that.

May 7, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  2. Ken, Florida

Well I guess if I was'nt so angry I could be bitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  3. Operation Chaos

Go Billary Cliton! You can do it! Don't give up...your getting cheated of the nomination.

May 7, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  4. Gary Wilson

You gotta have some kind of temper to want to wage war for 100 years.

May 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Shayna:

You may want to take a permanent vacation to Canada. Because the "stupid democrats" are going to be running the House, the Senate, and the White House.

Duck and cover.

May 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  6. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Maybe John McCain has a hearing problem which can create angry outbrust of not hearing or understanding what's being said. Plus, he has to read everything he does say and then he either didn't mean it the way it sounded or he doesn't remember. America, please do John McCain a favor by saving his seat in the Senate.

May 7, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  7. MurphyMorseJohnson

Guess that when you're married to money, you can do anything you like....

May 7, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  8. Toniette

I'm just ready for all of this to be over and done with. Vote a giraffe into the Whitehouse and I would go with it right now.

May 7, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  9. Annette

I would rather have a President get mad over those things then not. And I think the Dems will be surprised when their candidate, whoever, that may be does NOT win!!!

May 7, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  10. kathleen,retired Professional w/woman for obama

I am concerned about more than his Temper. What about "don't know
    much about the economy. Now, I think, they have TWO teleprompters
    for him because he was always looking one way and now his fat
    head sways.

May 7, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  11. Paul Miller- Kissimmee, Fl

Mark my words stupid democrats. If Hillary loses I'll vote for McCain , no doubt about. I would never vote for Mr. Houssein!

May 7, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  12. Democrats for Clinton or McCain

What makes all you Obama fans so nasty? Did you all go to hate-filled churches all your lives?

If you're so sure Obama is the "chosen one," why do you all have to attack everybody who doesn't sing his praises? You remind me of a bunch of pit bulls who have rabies.

May 7, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  13. Old White Women for Obama

OK, so we have an unpredictable, out-of-touch-with-Ammericans Republican candidate and I'm hearing that some people will vote for this man instead of Obama because of what reason again? They must be content with what George has done. McCain is the sequel. And some people say Obama is stupid?

May 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. Jose'

If I was McCain I would be angry too.

The democrats are destroying the country he fought for.

After 2 years with democrat leadership in congress, we have record spending, record waste, record fuel prices, and a recession.

God help us if Obama becomes president.

May 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. Stacy

I am truly amazed at some of these comments. Some people are saying that they would rather have someone in office that made sure that some of our military planes are being built in another country, someone who says that he doesn't know anything about the economy, and someone that says he will add more Supreme Court justices like the ones that are there. You all use the excuse of Rev. Wright but really what are you afraid of? Some white voters in this country don't want to acknowledge that there is racism in this country. You all keep saying get over slavery but we don't even have to go back that far. If you all don't want to vote for a black man then say that but to use the lame excuses of Rev. Wright, who isn't running for President and stupid things that are reported in the news like terrorists celebrating in the streets, give me a break. Has anyone ever sat down and questioned who Hillary or McCain are affiliated with? Of course not, the media just wants to tarnish Barack and America falls for it everytime, i.e. Bush. Hillary has lied and schemed and said that she has experience that isn't true and can't be proved if you do your research. Take a look before you start calling Barack stupid and see who really is a fanatic and liar.

May 7, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  16. matt

You Obama Hussein Obama voters are ridiculous! Your solution to improving America is to vote in a MUSLIM with SOCIALIST ideals. Good job DIP****S I hope you enjoy the third world country you're going to turn us into. I'd rather have a moody grandpa in charge than someone working for the other side. (By the way when does a one term senator constitute someone that would be a good choice to run the country)

May 7, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  17. TJ

Five and a half years in the Hanoi Hilton, when Obama was still wearing diapars and Billary was trying to eliminate her first best friend....hmm, temper, how about Billary lack of close friends...

May 7, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  18. obamagurl08

mr tejano, you are so full of crap!!! You make us Tejano, Chicano, & Latinos look bad. A person who talks alot of crap is ALWAYS a Person who can't back up that cheap talk!!!!
    You are soo stupid!! I bet you are a poor azz mexican too. You think Mccain will do things good for Us...You are sadly mistaken!!! Why would any Man who can hold his own need OTHERS fighting for Him? Sounds like a weak azz man, or wanna be man, to me.
    A Real Man don't need to walk around ACTING & TALKING bull crap, It's those Quite one's You should Fear. Oh but I guess this is why you don't like Obama. You skerd of a brother that is Educated & has Dignity & IS EVERY BIT OF THE DEFINITON OF A MAN!! Then again I know You probably only have a high school degree or maybe not even that, so stop hating. Usually people hate on others because THEY

May 7, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  19. Say no to socialism

I cannot believe how disrespectful people are of a man who spent his life in service to this great county so that morons like them can post blogs calling him names. Democrat or republican, he deserves our gratitude.

Any person wishing to become commander and cheif should have military service. That's the best proof of individual character and devotion to this country.

Besides, I would rather have a President with a temper who can put the fear of God back into the rest of the world.

Stand with us or die: Semper Fi!

May 7, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  20. Dick

This would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous. McCain's temper is legendary, and the instance extend far beyond one blow up in front of Thad Cochran, no slouch himself when it comes to blowups. Once Sen. Obama is declared the nominee, which will happen soon, (Clinton supporters, you are done, there will be no counting Michigan and Florida, where Obama didn't even campaign), Sen. Obama will turn to the many, many weaknesses and discrepancies in the so-called "Straight Talk Express" and you'll see what a warmongering spendthrift John McCain really is. It will be a cakewalk from there, absent another 9/11 false flag operation.

May 7, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  21. Sam

All Dems voting for Mccain can go ahead and join the republicans we don't want bigots in the Democratic party. You should have left when Nixon declared his southern strategy. If you are worried about an empty suit how did you let George Bush be president

May 7, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  22. Carrie

His temper is not what would the factor to keep me from voting for him. His policies ....his following in Bush's footsteps is enough for me . And some of his statements.... he is the elitest and out of touch.
    His wife is worth multi millions, they have several homes, his wife bought a plane and he did not even know it . How many of us could buy an appliance , car etc without it effecting our budget . Let alone buy a several million dollar airplane. Give me Obama anytime.

May 7, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  23. Randy

Hey Paul of Kissimmee.. talk about stupid. Hillary and Obama are a hair apart from each other on every issue. So you would vote for McBush and four more years of the same? Yeah.. really smart. But I guess when you are a racist POS, colour supercedes every thing else.

May 7, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  24. Chris

OMG what really scares me is that if he got the job, in a year or so CINDY would probably be running the country!!!
    I mean lets get real here the guy is old and he would be older then Regan at the time Nancy was running the country!!!
    We all know the mind is usually the first thing to go!!!

May 7, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |