May 7th, 2008

Voter tells McCain his temper is 'something of concern'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/07/art.mccainrochester.ap.jpg caption="McCain stumps in Michigan on Wednesday."]

ROCHESTER HILLS, Michigan (CNN) - What temper? John McCain parried away a question Wednesday about his supposedly hot-headed demeanor by talking up his long bipartisan record in the United States Senate.

“If I had some problem as such has been described, my friends, I would not have been able to work with Joe Lieberman and Russ Feingold and Ted Kennedy and all the other members on the other side of the aisle,” McCain said, responding to a Republican voter who described McCain’s temper as “something of concern.”

The voter read McCain a quote from Republican Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, who said in January that “the thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine.”

“He is erratic,” Cochran told the Boston Globe. “He is hotheaded. He loses his temper."

“I am familiar with the quote,” McCain cracked, as the questioner recounted Cochran’s comments.

McCain then confirmed he does get angry - about pork barrel spending.

“Well, I will confess to you my friend, that I get angry,” he explained. “I got angry when I saw a guy named Abramoff that ripped of Native Americans for millions and millions and millions of dollars that ended up putting him in federal prison.”

“I get angry when I see 233 million of your tax dollars going to an island, to a bridge on an island with 50 people on it,” he said. “I get angry when I see corruption to the point when we have former members of Congress residing in federal prison.

“And you know something? The American people are angry too, and they’re not going to take it any more.”

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Kathie

I'm no McCain fan but geez guys, I think you need to cut him some
    slack about his disposition. I bet all of us would come out with alot
    more issues to deal with than a short temper if we had all been
    locked in a cage for 5 1/2 years.

May 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  2. Lusitan

John Mc will be the first EDisfunctinal president...

May 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. MC

RALPH NADER FOR PRESIDENT !!! He is the ONLY candidate who has always told us the truth and is on our side.

May 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. Brian

If I hear McCain call a total stranger/strangers "my friend(s)" one more time I will surely lose my lunch. Who is this guy trying to kid? If he gets elected it will be the nail in the coffin for America.

May 7, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  5. jason Marroquin

I'd rather someone be able to get angry about injustice and corruption, then have someone keep screaming "Hope".

May 7, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. MCD, SF, CA

I would worry about his temper AND HIS AGE! Also, the fact that he apparently will say anything to stay in the limelight... he has flip-flopped sooooooo many times on soooo many issues. What ever happened to his straight talk express? It was just that... all talk.

May 7, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. Marcus -MD

Temper doesn't mean anything to me. George Washington was well known for having a terrible temper.

May 7, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. JUANITA SNEED

I am so afraid for Sen. Obama – there is no telling what these people have in store for him. He took an unnessary beating about Rev. Wright. He is not responsible for what someone else says. You join Church not the Pastor. We need to Bolt that Democratic Party like forty going West if they take this nomination from Sen. Obama and give it to Hillary.

May 7, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  9. Patty Atlanta GA

I'm more concerned about the character of a man who would commit adultery. Clinton did it and it was unacceptable and its bad for McCain too no matter how conservative he pretends to be. He doesn't even believe in Jesus Christ in the was real Christians should!

May 7, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  10. Ozgur Sahin

Of course he gets angry. Who doesn't? After months of reading about jabs between the two democratic candidates, do we really believe they don't get angry too? Or do hippies everywhere think that we must build a world on ONLY love and understanding while 70% of the rest of the world is happy to take advantage of our soft-spoken pacifistic rhetoric? Of course he gets angry, and anger is not unhealthy. There are healthy and unhealthy ways to channel anger and utilize it effectively. Maybe we should focus on that instead of trying to amputate a basic human emotion from our governing body as if that were somehow possible or desirable.

May 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. Shawn, Takoma Park, MD

LOL @ Crazy Ol' Grampa McCain. He won't be a problem.

I also get a kick out of childish little threats from Hillary deadenders – as if they matter. The MILLIONS of new Dem voters Obama brought in will more than make up for their pathetic little tantrums. I think it's hilarious that you think anybody cares.

May 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. Erik

Everyone gets angry and come on he's going to nuke someone while angry or at all? I think that is an exaggeration. Mccain is the epitome of patriotism and knows war well and is sympathetic towards families with sons in iraq for his son is also in iraq. On another note, Obama wants to bomb pakistan for gods sakes. Whose the the warmonger again??? Obama says Washington experience is no experience, well i beg to differ. We are at war, we can't afford to say well obama will probably do a good job we need to know for sure. Barack Obama will be a great president someday just not this election. We need Mccain in office. He has been through war and has the experience which will help with the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Listen, we can't afford to take a chance on Obama right now. Should we really trade one extreme for the other ( i.e. from extreme right to extreme left?) We need someone in the middle, someone like John Mccain. He is our best bet in November for Republicans, Democrats, and Independants.

MCcain '08

May 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  13. Victor

My one hope in this extravagant circus we call the election process, is that Mc Cain and whomever emerges as the Democratic candidate, are allowed to address the issues and not expend time and resources responding to attacks on their character.

It seems that too often the media nowadays, takes the "sensational story bait" from both parties and does not focus on the challenges / issues we have in this country.

let the candidates offer their solutions and insights on our current problems. Then let WE THE PEOPLE decide who will be president, not the media.

May 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  14. Debbie

McCain has PTSD. He will send you, your children and your grand children to fight. He is a warmonger. That's all he cares about, that's all he talks about, and that's all he will do if he won the presidency.

May 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  15. JDW

how about someone do a little investigating into when McCain called his wife the C-word....was he just "angry" that he had gotten caught working with people who ended up bilking the Americans out of billions during the S&L crisis?

May 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  16. Lisa

It's his age...he forgot that he has a temper!

May 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  17. Jo Ann

We need a level head in the white house, because the sparks will be
    flying if he is in the white house. At age of 71 that could cause some
    serious problems.

May 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  18. Jacqueline

So what if McCain gets angry. At least he shows us his true feelings.Obama is a sly, smooth fox. I dont trust him!!

May 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  19. Mike

You better get use to McCain, temper or not, we need experience in the White House not a "hope"ful novice with a lot of idealistic mumbo jumbo.
    I put my heart and soul into backing Obama at the beginning of this process but in the end as I look at what is happening in our economy and culture, I began to realize the days of dreaming are gone. We need real answers and a proven track record. Obama, is essentially the charismatic speaker of the threesome, but I'm getting tired of hearing feel good rhetoric, that no matter how I juggle the math ends in no logical conclusion. Saying and doing are two different things.

The other thought that goes with this, I cannot and will not vote for a candidate who has been chosen by a primary electorate that magnifies the racial divide in this country. It's pretty apparent in the results from N.C. and Indiana that this is what occurred. We have no room for racial politics. Want to talk about tempers flaring, that's a path we should not in good conscious be lulled into. This is one democrat that will vote for McCain, not because I like him, not because I believe in all he believes in, but I sincerely believe a vote for Barrack Obama is vote for a divided nation.

May 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  20. SC

One note about Obama and his church and all "black" churches in general. I go to a christian fellowship where people of all colors and backrounds attend. We go to church, not a black, white or orange church but church.

Why is this race going to be decided by race and not the issues. If you want to have yet another pointless poll, ask Obama supporters what issues they agree with and further, ask if they are voting for him bacause of the color of his skin.

May 7, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  21. "friend" is coping mechanism

I think the word "friend" is a coping mechanism for him to stay calm....like "I'm in my happy place!"

May 7, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  22. PapaPete

To Stop calling me...

At last someone said it.

McCain's habit of saying "My friends" at the start of each sentence is nauseating at best.

May 7, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  23. Linda

While John McCain shrugs off the complaint that he is tempermental
    and difficult to get along with I am concerned that we will have another
    president of the US that cannot get along with other countries and
    improove our standing in the world. This is not anger about issues –
    it is a personality flaw.

May 7, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  24. Gman

I believe that a Democrat will not see the White House for at least 8 years., maybe longer. Too many lightweights in the wings such as Clinton and Obama. No real accomplishments to discuss with these two condidates. They also do not relate to the average family and their value system. Unless they get the family value thing right, they will be losing these elections for quite a while !!!

The average family does not believe in the liberalism of the Democrats. Conservative democrats will not vote for Obama. I also doubt the Bible belt will succumb to the pro-choice , gay marriage and embryo research agenda as well.

When the Dems want to talk seriously about life and liberty, we will begin to see a new Democratic party and maybe a president in the White house

May 7, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  25. Mike

Hey Wendyalene: your quote below is the dumbest thing i've read in a long time. Did Catholics view and hear their preists molesting children every Sunday for 20 years like Obama? Since way more molestations happen in schools than in churches, should everyone who has ever gone to school be to blame for school molestations. You disgust me.

"Holding Senator Obama responsible for the actions and views of his church minister Jeremiah Wright is like holding the catholic parishoners responsible for the actions of their ministers who have molested hundreds of children."

May 7, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |