May 8th, 2008

Limbaugh comes out for Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/07/art.limb.gi.jpg caption=" Limbaugh now wants Obama to be the Democratic nominee."](CNN) - He has publicly urged Republicans to vote for Hillary Clinton to keep the divisive Democratic nomination fight alive, but talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday it's Barack Obama who he really wants to be the party's nominee.

"I now believe he would be the weakest of the Democrat nominees," Limbaugh, among the most powerful voices in conservative radio, said on his program. "I now urge the Democrat supereldegates to make your mind up and publicly go for Obama."

"Barack Obama has shown he cannot get the votes Democrats need to win – blue-collar, working class people," Limbaugh also said. "He can get effete snobs, he can get wealthy academics, he can get the young, and he can get the black vote, but Democrats do not win with that."

For months, Limbaugh has urged his listeners in states with open primaries to cross party lines and support Clinton in an effort he has dubbed "Operation Chaos." The conservative talk show host has said the Republican Party will benefit from a protracted Democratic race that grows more bruising by the week.

Full story

1. tidho

Think maybe his locking up the nomination has something to do with him suddenly being the weaker candidate.

I love the complete lack of logic (also envoked by Hillary's campaign) that because Clinton got a voter Obama must not be able to and therefor it will automatically go to McCain. How idiotic. Caucasian blue collar Democrats might prefer Clinton when its two Dems but that doesn't mean they'd rather have a Republican. They aren't all racists.

May 7, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  2. NewJeffCT

So, now we can call Rush a flip-flopper? Didn't he support Obama early on in the race, then flipped to Clinton and is now flipping back to Obama?

Meanwhile, Democratic turnout and enthusiasm has been far outpacing Republic enthusiasm and thousands of new Democrats have registered to vote.

It has been the independents and Republicans voting for Obama that made him the frontrunner in the first place. I don’t think many of them will suddenly move into the McCain-Bush far right column.

McCain, however, has been lucky the media has been focused on the Obama-Clinton wars because he has made some HUGE gaffes on foreign policy that make Ford’s infamous “there is no Soviet domination of eastern Europe” gaffe look small by comparison.

May 7, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  3. Jodie

Even Rush has seen the light. Thanks for your support!

May 7, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  4. Marshall in Nebraska

Rush is why I have left the Republican Party. I don't like his politics.

May 7, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  5. Steve Barba

In all the years Mr. Limbaugh has been in the public eye, he has never offered anything positive to any issue. His approach is to tear down, with never a hint of any way to correct problems. He brings no value to anything.

May 7, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  6. Larry, Apex, North Carolina

Rush is an egotistical pig-just like Hillary.

7. FactCheck

Dear Christine V. Please go ahead and do vote for McCain. Then when Roe v Wade is overturned and your kids/brother/neighbor is sent off to fight the 100 year war in Iraq and your jobs have been outsourced to the United States of Chin-India and gasoline approaches $10 a gallon, please come back and tell us how ya' really stuck it to those Obama supporters.

8. juan

It's amazing that the so-called educated backers of Obama are less educated and very unrully. It just goes to show that the youth of today lack any sense of morality with their continual name calling and bashing. Thank God I am now officially back McCain.

9. I Berry

There are more people that will vote Republican or not vote at all if Obama is the Democratic nominee. This is from New Hampshire

10. IH

You ever see that Dave Chappelle skit where he talked about how MTV wanted to hear Ja Rule's opinion right after September 11. Dave summed it up by saying, "who the fudge cares about what Ja thinks at a time like this." Likewise, seriously, who the fudge really cares about what Rush Limp has to say.

You give this guy way too much importance that he really deserves. Have the American people lost their collective inteliigence?

11. Jeff

After Rush's victory he can buy some oxy and head down to the Caribbean for some young love. 🙂

12. Mary J

I think that what this idiot is doing is illefal and that he shd be punished legally. LOCK HIM UP! IF NOT IN JAIL, IN A MENTAL INSTITUTION!

13. Margi

Who is this man? I guess if he told his followers to jump off of a bridge they would. Unbelievable!

14. EE

This guy needs a fix. Anybody know where his favorite pusher is?

15. Jeff in AL

Totally agree. Obama is the weaker Democratic candidate.

16. Dr. Cocteau

Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer nothing more, nothing less. His comments should be taken as seriously as any other paid entertainer.

He is not a politician, not a scholar and not a political scientist. The only difference between him and the clown that dances in the circus is that he is extremely well paid.

Yes he has a big following but so does Brittany Spears.

17. Randy - Denver

What I do not understand is how I became a black, latte-drinking (never even tasted Latte), college aged kid, wealthy, effete, elitist man. I have worked all my life (fast foods as a teenager than into the Navy for 21 years enlisted since I could not afford college, have busted my butt working on construction sites and at power plants since I left the Navy and this is considered Elite? just exactly how low have we dropped our standards? true I do not watch NASCAR, if I wanted to see people drive fast and make left turns I would go out on the highway an hour after rush hour. It is also true I do not watch wrestling, I just have never seen much entertainment in watching people hurt each other. But I guess that, because I support the one person who I think can actually change the way things are run, the one person who I feel has been MOST truthful, and the one person who I feel is most likely to actually try to make things better for this 48 year old white male I am all these things, won't my kids (who I HAVE put through college!) be surprised! I know I am!

18. Marie in California

If Obama runs.....McCain wins. Period.

19. Gigi

OMG...someone hook me up with Purdue Pharma. I need some pain meds to read thru this article and some of the painful and mindless comments.

You think the stock of Purdue Pharma plummeted when Rush went thru rehab?

20. Eyes

Hillary Clinton's unofficial running mate, Rush Limbaugh, and the continuous spin. The media wants to elect this year's democratic candidate and it is not the same as the people's choice. Rush has provided Hillary with more than one million votes from his evil minions of crossover voters.

Rush Limbaugh has kept Hillary in the race and encouraged republicans "not to vote their conscience". Hillary has accepted these votes happily.

You tell me what is wrong with this picture?

21. Michelle, Baltimore

This guy is an idiot.....bring it on Limbaugh Obama supporters can't wait to bring you down.

May 7, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  22. Buddy Schow

It's pretty scary that a thrice divorced, college drop-out junkie has enough influence to actually (possibly) have enough influence with right-wing kooks to sway an election. What does this say about the current state of our once great country?

May 7, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  23. Femi, CO

Limbaugh is a big liar, he is an addict supporter of HRC but in Republican color. By saying this, he thinks he could mislead our superdelegates to believe that Obama is a weaker candidate thereby go ahead to endorse HRC knowingfully that they will not want to support a weaker candidate. He means opposite and indirectly campaigning for HRC, Superdelegates be aware of the viper and choose wisely.

Democrat 2008

May 7, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  24. Gerald Shields, Seattle, WA

Hillbilly Heroin Addict! 🙁

May 7, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  25. pat

russ is right he is the weakest, look at his record oooh what record. mccain will eat him for lunch, all that baggages im a hillary supporter an i no she is the best person to win this election, i don t know what the superdelagates are thinking you all know what happends in the general elect. you think its because he has rejivanated the base thar will make a differance i think not, mccain has more experiance an obama does not. he only won his state sen. seat through default. not by getting elected. she is byfar the best we can hope for so super del. get behind her if you don t want to lose. then ill come back an say i told you so. LOOK AT HIS RECORD. to much baggages, wright , rezko , etc. who is financing him big oil, health org. insurance co. check it out.

May 7, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |