May 9th, 2008

O'Donnell: Clinton will exit race by June 15

CNN

Watch Lawrence O'Donnell's interview.

(CNN)— Lawrence O’Donnell, Emmy-Award winning producer of The West Wing and a contributor to the Huffington post, said Friday that a senior Clinton campaign official told him the New York Senator will be leaving the race by June 15 with a clear exit strategy.

O’Donnel said the senior campaign official told him they will continue on through the “final votes on June 3,” during which Clinton and Obama are expected to split the states.

After that point, O’Donnell said, the Clinton campaign “will take no more than a week to make their case to superdelegates and as you know, the superdelegates have absolutely no chance of moving over to Hillary Clinton in a week.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Susan - Florida

I will never give my vote to Obama. What you will see is more medic-aide, welfare, etc. Not to mention his wife. That woman really scares me.

May 9, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  2. Tammy - KCMO

Let them both finish it out so all the voters have the right to make the choice. It is highly doubtful that the outcome will change and this way no one can say they weren't give the chance to vote. Except MI and FL of course – which was not the delegates fault! Maybe if she stays in to the end and cuts out the negatives the party can finally unite behind one candidate without the crossover to back McCain by disgruntled voters.

Personally I think all primaries should be held in a 1 or 2 month time with all candidates remaining in until the end. It sucks right now that someone is out before your state even has a chance to vote.

Obama '08

May 9, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  3. Jeff D, South Bend, IN

"If Senator Clinton would change and run as an independent, she would be our next president."

Not in this version of reality. She'd be another Ross Perot – a joke and a sideshow.

May 9, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  4. yeswecan!

Yes 4 more years of Bush, if people start thinking with their heads instead that with their .................!! not saying that they will vote for a republican or stay home shame on those people, it's actually so disgusting to me how people can think like that!!!!>.. Yes, if people are going to react so childish then yes we are going to have 4 more BUsh years!!!!..

I'm for Obama 100%, but for some reason he doesn't get elected to run for the presidency, I would never react in such ridiculous way to say I won't vote for HIllary on NOV, that would be so stupid and ignorant on my part!!!
    But unfortunaly some people are either ignorant !!!

May 9, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  5. Allen deLuca - Florida

Disappointed democrats, those of you who love your country more than party of obviously unqualified candidate, come on over to McCain. He is well experienced and proven statesman. He will be a great president for ALL the people, not just the Blacks and "elitists".

May 9, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. Sharon Minnesota

Hillary was the best choice. Too bad she wasn't appreciated by the American democrats. You will regret it if she leaves this race.

May 9, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  7. blair

Nobody has seen Berry win or do anything except be handed the nomination by the press and the Republicans. He has not won anything it has been given to him and it is all because of his color and the fact the republicans know they can not beat Hillary. Ask my black boss and co workers why they voted for him, and they are all women. Because of his color and only that. They all have this illusion that with him in there they are going to get my job, my boss's job. A house, a car, an education. You all are nuts. I worked for my job, I went to school to get an education, I worked to get my house and car. Nothing has been handed to me, I worked and saved. Nothing is going to change for them. Why because they like to scream discrimination and file discrimination charges.

May 9, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  8. tidho

Hopefully she keeps it clean until then. Obviously Obama isn't interested in contributing to any trouble, he's moved on to repairing the party already.

If she goes heavily negative like she has the last month the supers will end it for her. I suspect that was communicated because she's come out much softer this week.

May 9, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  9. Jose

Obama-Edwards for President first Tuesday of November this year!

May 9, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  10. DISENFRANCHISED

You people who are supporting Obama are really ugly. Do you all remember when al gore won the pop vote here in florida, and Gw bush was picking out his transition team, just ignoring all the recounting etc? That is exactly what your doing to Clinton. Pushing her out and there are alot of States out there who havent voted yet? If I were Hilary I would run as an independent... Seriously folks she will win the big states and take the nomination. We already know shes gonna win Florida and Michigan, because we have been through enough already. Sounds like Obama is the same old politics if you ask me. Oh by the way if he does win, I can guarentee he will not honor the signed pledge he made with John McCain. Then all of you will realize what we already know. I am sorry I hear alot of racist comments reguarding why we are not voting for obama. Far from it people. He has no record, has no experience. GW had more experience than him, That is toooo scarey for me. Stop being racist and vote with your head.

May 9, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  11. Sharon Minnesota

Mrs. Ricks, I don't know if you realize it but registering in a party doesn't lock you in to vote for that party's nominee. Democrats will cross over as they have in the past to the Republican party one more time in 2008.

John McCain will win in November.

May 9, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  12. Jeanne

The smart thing to do would be to get behind the front runner and start campaigning against the Republicans. Smart isn't even in the Clinton neighborhood. Just hardworking, uneducated whites.

May 9, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  13. yes she will

yes she will !

what makes Hillary and her supporters think that, if she manages to steal the nomination ( could only be a steal at this point), the vast majority who voted for obama would happily accept being tricked and vote for her in november ?

Obama suppoters WOULD NOT GO AND VOTE FOR McCain...They' d just stay home.

May 9, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  14. @americans

sorry Hill

Rovian tactics worked bush, but it didn't work for u this time.

try again; hmmmmm...yr 2016 to be exaxct!

Obama '08 & 2012!

May 9, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  15. TKe

Clinton can't afford to look like she's weak or a quitter. i think she's well aware that she's not going to claim the nomination.
    but she'll want to run again at some point and if she looks like she's a weak leader or one that quits when the going gets rough, she'll have even more trouble securing the nomination at that time.
    i agree with those who say that she should back out now. a good leader has to know when to say when, but i do understand why she may be continuing. with three weeks left i say let her continue.
    the dems don't need to risk disenfranchising a majority of women voters by pushing her out. if she's not willing to concede by the end of June, then its time to move her out. its also not very wise to risk the election based on one (very important) gender's feelings.

May 9, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  16. Eric

This is beautiful. I respect that Hillary wants to gradually phase out. I just hope she will do it in a positive way. No more negative attacks and divisive politics.

People really need to wake up and realize that in order to save and/or change this country; we need to be united as one. No black, white, Native American, Hispanic, Asian, red states, blue states, gay, straight, young, or old. We are all our brothers and sisters keepers; because we are Americans.

Just like the black, white, Native American, Hispanic, Asian, gay, straight, young, and old Americans; that is over there fighting for us. At the end of the day, the blood that is shed is red. No different color. And the money that is being spent is green.

We rise and fall as one nation

Let's unify people.

I love you all!!!!

Peace

May 9, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. Lenore

Somebody.... please...MAKE IT STOP!!!

((go barack!))

May 9, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  18. INDEPENDENT NOW

I have changed my party affiliation, because I cant take what the Dnc has done to this party. They wont take the credit for it. No they will blame Senator Clinton who has given her whole life to public service. They make me sick. Let them clean up their own mess at the Dnc. They have split this party not obama and not clinton. Thanks to them, Clinton is being asked to step down, and Obama presumpted nominee will be beat by McCain in Nov. and his political career will be over. Have any of you thought of that? Hilary can recoop in 2012 but he cant. Just like Kerry. Superdelgates are making mistakes by choosing early. Ted Kennedy and Kerry arent even voting with their states. Thats not the will of the people. Notice how little you are hearing from them these days. They are politicly doomed too. Well I hate to say I told you so. but I told you so. So for all of you voting for obama good luck in neverland. I am independent now

May 9, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  19. Comedy Central

Hillary Clinton did not drive a wedge in the Democratic party. The leadership of this party is driving the wedge. They just do not get it. We should have this election in the bag given the last eight years of Bush. But...that is not going to happen. I still see a loss for Obama in the fall and the Dems sitting back and once again scratching their proverbial heads. Think about it people, the only successful candidate the Dems have had since JFK has been Bill Clinton and that was not without the HUGE battle he had to fight with the Repubs. The Repubs were obsessed with getting the presidency back and did everything they could to discredit Bill Clinton. A Dem can only win if they are in the center. Why the party continues to support and back far left candidates is beyond me. There is no way that Obama will be elected, especially in a time of war and economic collapse–it will not happen. That is why we need more than two parties in this country. We are often left with voting for the lesser of two evils which is exactly what will happen in November. McCain will win because Obama is a lefty who is bordering on the unknown. His influences with anti-patriotism and Marxist philosophy will do him in.

May 9, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  20. Joseph, NY, NY

It's not about voting for Mccain because Hillary lost it about the fact that he has more expierence and the last time america voted in a president without expierence we got what we have now. Knowing how washington works in the only way things will get done, not by hoping things will get done just because I say so.

May 9, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  21. gerard morei

If she doesn't get the nomination, she better leave the Democratic party because this party is crazy if they don't pick her. Next step is running as an Independent and she will win the general election because real democrats will follow her. Obama already damage our party getting in the middle when he knows that Hillary was going to run, and of course he get the help from the republicans(only in the primeries) and the help of inmature people that think this is an election for a student council president, not the U.S.A President. Its very sad, put in the end Hillary will be the President, count on it.
    Hillary for President 2009!!!.
    She have the support of millions, do not forget that.

May 9, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  22. Sir Geshko

What possible reason would she have to stay in the race until June?
    I'll give you 11.4 million.

Under current ethics laws, she can only recoup that lost money if her campaign can raise it before the Convention. Otherwise, her loan becomes a contribution, and is 'lost' forever.

No one wants to donate money to a losing candidate, so she needs to keep fighting and stay alive, not for the American people or voters in FL and MI, but for her own bank account.

As the song goes: "Sad but true."

May 9, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  23. tar

The question is, how much damage to the Democratic Party would Sen. Clinton have done?

If she is leaving on June 15, then why is she sending out all these damaging messages (debate in Oregon, she should be on top of the ticket, Sen. Obama work with me to get Florida and Michigan votes to count, working Whites prefer me).

Something is definitely wrong in that camp.

May 9, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  24. vic nashville,Tn

Huffington post and Fox are same for me I never believe both
    Both are Unfair and Unbalance
    Only CNN is fair and Balance

May 9, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. Steven in Charleston, SC

The drumbeat calling for Hillary to withdraw may be reaching a fever-pitch, but it doesn't actually change anything.

Despite what all the Obama supporters want, Hillary CAN still win this, and in my opinion - and the opinions of millions of other Americans - she should.

How can she win?

Simple. She can hold her own in the upcoming contests and then demonstrate to the Superdelegates that she has the best chance of beating McCain in November. And isn't that what we all really want? A Democrat in the White House?

How can she convince them of this?

It shouldn't be as tough as the SD's are making it. She may very well wind up winning the popular vote. She has won handily in states that we NEED to win in November - specifically Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania. We need a victory in 2 of those 3 states to win, and she is much better positioned to do so than Obama. And finally, according to the polls, the liklihood of Obama's supporters moving over to her if she is the nominee is much greater than the other direction. I personally think it is self-destructive of someone to say they won't support the Democratic nominee regardless, but apparently it is so, and the SD's would be foolish to ingore the facts.

And remember - it doesn't matter what an SD ~says~ they are going to do - they can change their mind right up to the last minute.

Why should she win?

Because she would win, and he would lose.

Don't get me wrong, I like Obama. But I am TIRED OF LOSING! The Republicans will make hay of his inexperience, will play the race/bigotry/Islam/hate/fear cards like we've never seen before, and if they can't find some dirt on him they will make it up, and MCCAIN WILL WIN. Say whatever mean things you wish about Clintons, but the liklihood of there being any skeletons in their closet that we haven't already drug out is exceedingly slim.

So, let me be the first on this board (I think) to call on Senator Obama to do what is right for America, and DROP OUT! Personally I think he would make a fine VP, and I am confident Senator Clinton would be open to extending that offer.

May 9, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |