May 12th, 2008

Edwards says Clinton must be careful

Edwards says Clinton needs to be careful.

Edwards says Clinton needs to be careful.

(CNN) - John Edwards still says he is remaining neutral in the Democratic presidential race, but the onetime candidate all but said Sunday it is impossible for Hillary Clinton win the Democratic nomination, and warned the New York senator not to damage the party in the primary campaign's final stretch.

Appearing on CBS' Face the Nation, Edwards said Clinton has to be “has to be really careful that she’s not damaging our prospects," with continuing to take jabs at Obama.

"She doesn't need my advice, she knows this full well," Edwards said. "If she makes the case for herself, which she's completely entitled to do, she has to be really careful that she's not damaging our prospects, the Democratic Party, and our cause, for the fall."

Edwards also praised Clinton for the "strength and fortitude she has shown."

"I know how hard it is to get up and go out there every day, speak to the media, speak to crowds, when people are urging you to get out of the race. I mean, it's a very hard place to be in," he said. “But she's shown a lot of strength about that."

But the former North Carolina senator all but said her chances for winning the White House are over.

"The math is very, very hard for her," he said regarding her deficit in delegates to Obama. "The problem is, I think, you can no longer make a compelling case for the math.”

According to CNN's latest estimate, Clinton and Obama are now dead even in superdelegate support and Obama holds an overall 167-delegate lead.

Asked directly if Clinton should quit her White House bids, Edwards said, "I think it's a judgment that she has to make. And I think she's in a very, very tough place.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. Johnny Be Good

I wish this guys would grow a set and endorse Obama, as did practally his whole family!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The writing is on the wall baby!!! Obama all the way.

WV and KY. What does it feel like to be from a backward thinking state? Really, you guys out there must think it is 1960 and god forbid this uppity "you know what" runs for office. I find it funny you all get mad when the AA vote for Obama. This is the same thing, just reversed.

So if you cannot find it in you heart to vote DEM this year, so be it. Obama will be the POTUS in NOV and we will have done it without you.

Hey HILLBOTS, any more threats today, how can you vote againt your own best intresets? That is silly and you are just trying to scare us Obama people to vote for your queen. No thanks, I know what she is about and it is not about the american average Joe, that person is Barrack Obama.

May 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  2. norma

Had John Edwards had more of a midwestern accent, he would have still been in the race. For some reason, his voice didn't resonate like a screaming preacher. His message was clear, but you've got to yell to look forceful and confident. Hillary doesn't have to yell, but her voice is concise and clear.

John Edwards should be behind Hillary, and I hope that he's not going to be giving his support to Obama. I think we have too many weak-kneed Democrats who are afraid to stand up for her, because they want to say they voted for the "winner," if that is the case. There's no way all of these flip/floppers really believe that Obama is the better candidate for our country. This is the problem with the Democrats, and it is evident in the newly acquired Congress and Senate.

Come on John, stand up for the real candidate and support Hillary – they talked you out of staying in – help her out here.

May 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  3. Elisabeth

Barack Obama is not a skilful diplomat. His superior and ironic smile (the same social handicap as Goerg W. Bush is suffering from) would in a long-term not be a success regarding foreign politics. It is to be hoped that remaining voters and superdelegates will realize that and don´t make a fateful error once again.

May 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  4. Michelle from Colorado

My Republican friend recently asked me if I felt like the Democratic Party is damaged and which candidate did it. I told her if it is damaged, it is by the party bosses themselves. caucuses, which totally do not represent the general population but only those who attend them hurt. And allowing one slightly stonger candidate who was voted on by these caucuses to tell the rest of the primary states, in essence, to forget about voting because he is the winner is what has shaken this race and this party.

May 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  5. DK

I hope Hillary stays in the race. I like the fact she's not a quitter.

As far as her voting for the war in Iraq. The American people were lied to just like Congress was lied to. I also supported the war at that time. So lay off her regarding that issue.

May 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  6. Ed, Santa Fe NM

Hillary is all for herself and no one else... not even the Democratic Party... She's now sunk $11M into her own campaign with little chance or getting it all back... some fiscal responsibility, huh?

She's a megalomaniac of the the first order.... I hope Obama is smart enough to keep her (and Bill) off his ticket and out of his cabinet... PERIOD.

May 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  7. Hillary Democrat

Obamabots neet be the one that need to be careful and stop spreading hate to Hillary 's Democrats because they need us for him to win. They are millions of us , millions that are going to vote and I one of them that will never vote for a liying ,crook , unpatriotic person like Obama, never!

May 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. Diane

Hilliary 08 or McCain 08........ Obama is a fraud, arrogant, and a liar.

May 12, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  9. Chris from San Antonio

I think it's funny Hillary supporters say it's EVERYONE ELSE is responsible for destroying the party, but this entire thread is: Hillary or McCain, Hillary or McCain.

How is that NOT destroying the party again?

May 12, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  10. Brigeite

To Freida NYC,
    Are you serious? You sound like a member of a cult, "Hillary is my only no. 1." Crazy. How about voting on the issues. I and many Obama supporters would have stuck with Hillary if she had the nom., but it seems like many Clinton supporters would rather stomp their feet and vote for no healthcare, a stringent supreme court and four wars. Go ahead and vote for McCain out of spite, but don't go badmouthing Republicans and blaming them for everything when our economy dips again and our sons and daughters are sent off to die for a lost cause.

May 12, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  11. Flora

To begin with, who in their right mind would name Howard Dean to the post he is holding?. It's always the same with us Dems, we fight amongst ourselves so much and we are so extremely individualistic that we end up with the short end of the stick. Obama is not fit to preside over the greates nation in the world, let's face it, where is his Senate voting record?, his speeches are just like a miso soup: good flavor, no substance.
    Time is running out, I beg to differ with party die hards but it looks to me like another 4 years for Republicans. Thank you
    CNN Please post.

May 12, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  12. hope

John Edwards should have been now front runner instead of Barak Obama.Americans were looled by media and democratic leadership making Obama "BIG STAR" , it may cost democrats dearly in November than everyone can congradulate Edward Kennedy and his team of anti Clintons and other more experienced ex runners.

May 12, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  13. Aaron

"I will never ,ever vote for Obama, even if Hillary is #2 on the ticket. She is my only number 1, McCain is my number 2…NEVER OBAMA! I wil never forget the unfairness of this campaign and all the anti-Hillary media coverage. I hope all of the Hillary's supporters turn to McCain in November.

Hillary is our only hope!"

I hope so too. I will vote for whomever the Dems candidate is, but truth be told, with my salary, benefits, and age, I'll do fine under another republican. 90% of Hillary's supporters won't. So go ahead...be spiteful. Vote republican. I'll be fine, you'll only be hurting yourself.

Obama 08!

May 12, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  14. Ralph

I am definitely for Obama 08 but we should play the game fairly and wisely. If Senator Clinton decides to continue with the primary, then lets all wait and see who wins the nomination by June 3.
    Just curious, why is senator Obama not campaigning personally in WV and KY? Its true the math works in his favor but i believe he should start establishing bases in this areas for the general election. True he cannot win both states but he should give the people some sense of importance. Just showing up there will tell the WV and KY people that they do count just as NC and other do.
    And for all the clinton supporters that suggest voting for McCain in the fall over Obama, what in the world is wrong with you people? I bet if you have relatives in Iraq, you would not be uttering such statements. So i say put aside your hatred, your immatured, self centered ego and face reality because we cannot afford another four years of the republicans.

May 12, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  15. ESH

EVERYONE LISTEN TO THIS VERY CAREFULLY...

YOU ARE WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY. NOT HILLARY. NOT OBAMA.

YOU ARE VOTING ON VANITY.

OBAMA AND HILLARY HAVE THE SAME STANCES ON ISSUES... BOTH WILL BE GOING FOR THEIR PARTY'S STANCES NO MATTER WHAT. HILLARY IS JUST BLOODYING OBAMA FOR THE FALL.

MCCAIN WANTS PRO-LIFE LEGISLATION. MCCAIN WANTS MILITARY FUNDING OVER EDUCATION.

HILLARY AND OBAMA ARE THE SAME CANDIDATE.

BUT YOU CANNOT LOOK PAST COLOR, OR GENDER, OR PERSONALITY.

VOTE FOR YOUR PARTY WITH YOUR LIVELIHOOD IN MIND, NOT WITH YOUR STUBBORN BIASES.

May 12, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  16. Kyle

I didn't get the chance to yesterday, so I'll do it today, Happy Mother's Day Hillary!

West Virginians-Make your voices heard LOUDLY on Tuesday!

May 12, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  17. Cathy

I know if Obama is the nominee. I will either not vote or have to vote Republican. The man does not even pledege the flag! He is not to be trusted. Look at the pastor he listened to for 20 years +. People open your ears & eyses. In God we trust!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  18. jimmy

FRED,
    I am with you. This is not about destroying the party, it's about how the DNC along with the crooked and rabid Obama Boy supporters screwed Hillary and her supporters. Crooked Caucuses and negative phone calling. For one I am an Independent and have no reservations for voting for McCain. Obama did not prove himself to lead this great nation and I will not get behind him for reasons I don't know him enough and what little I do know I don't like – PERIOD.

Clinton or McCain '08 – Clinton '12

May 12, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  19. Kevin, NC

Every keeps talking about someone who can do the job from day one a candidate with experience to do this or that. The fact is, none of the candidates have ever been President and have no experience making executive decisions. With that said McCain is very out of touch and cant be trusted based on his suddenly conservative view points. And Hillary is doing so much damage in the primaries with lies and kitchen sinks that it is eroding our Democratic base not to mention if she cant manage the finance of her campaign and or cant make the right decisions once again in terms of picking her finance people this time around how in the world can she expect us to believe she can help the American Economy.

I'd stake my chances with Obama in 08 and it cant and will be no other way.

May 12, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  20. monica

Hillary is making a fool of herself. She's closer to going down in history as a joke instead of a trailblazer.

May 12, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  21. Paul

Hillary or McCain

We need someone with experience in the White House

Hillary we are with you all the way!!!

May 12, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  22. No Hope

Hillary Sucks, Obama Sucks and McCain Sucks! We lose no matter which way you vote!!!

May 12, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. Neutral

Superdelegates CAN change their endorsement anytime they wanted to. The problem with Edwards he try to be influential, he doesn't have any influence in his own state of North Carolina.

Obama is ALREADY a DAMAGED GOODS. Voters he asked to be DEMOCRAT FOR A DAY to vote for him, is going back to their OWN party. The GOP helped Obama, even in my own state, caucus precint Captain was a GOP but ONLY a Democrat for a day to push Obama.

May 12, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  24. Lori

The Clintons are hanging on to the leg of the throne and it's time to let go. It's getting to the pitiful stage....

May 12, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  25. Andy

To Freida NYC:
    Okay, go and vote for McCain because you didn't get what you want. And while you're at it, grow up a little. Just remember not to go badmouthing Republicans and blaming them for our terrible healthcare system and our weak economy that will surely be exacerbated by our fighting of four wars if McCain is elected. I guess people never learn.

May 12, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |