May 12th, 2008

West Virginia Gov. not ready to call race for Obama

CNN

Watch Gov. Manchin’s interview Monday.

(CNN)— West Virgina’s Governor Joe Manchin echoed the sentiment of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton Monday saying his state is not ready to call the race for Barack Obama until every state has had its chance to vote.

“I see the numbers the same as you see them,” Manchin told American Morning anchor John Roberts. “It looks like [Obama] has done quite well, but it’s not over until it’s over. We’re going to enjoy this primary tomorrow, and I’m sure other states will enjoy theirs.”

Voters in West Virgina head to the polls in less than 24 hours, with 28 pledged delegates at stake.

Clinton, who has a significant lead in West Virginia polls, has spent three out of the past five days campaigning there.

Obama is scheduled to campaign there Monday, but plans to head to Missouri - an important general election swing state for Democrats – on Tuesday, another sign his campaign has begun looking past the primary battle.

Gov. Manchin - who is chairman of the Democratic Governor’s Association and one of six uncommitted superdelegate governors - said if Obama is the party’s nominee, he will work to help the Illinois senator win his state in the fall.

1. none

anyone but obama the fake american and racist along with his racist wife. Change don't you people know no one likes change so when he gets in office and "changes" things just wait while I sit and laugh at you because your whining about not changing. Do you even know what his change is? Someone tell me.

May 12, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Pam B

Why are you censoring comments, you are suppose to be subjective to the issues? I have several times on different topics tried to comment on Obama vs. Hillary, but, my comments are never put on.
    Censorship is ......, not what this country is about. Are you afraid for you
    viewers to hear true comments? I am starting to think this are all fake
    comments you post.

May 12, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  3. Carol

Oh, isn't this the Gov who's daughter received an erroneous Masters Degree from WVU leading to the provost resigning? Oops, yes it was

Woman given degree she didn't earn
    Last week, a five-member independent panel led by two WVU faculty members issued a report saying high-ranking academic officers and administration officials showed "seriously flawed" judgment last fall in revising the academic records of Mylan Inc. executive Heather Bresch, who is Gov. Joe Manchin's daughter. She was awarded a degree as an executive master of business administration she had not earned.

Cronyism is still alive and well!

May 12, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. Kim, Dallas, TX

I get so disheartened when I read these blog comments. I don't mind if Hillary stays in the race, as long as she quits the "kitchen sink catastrophe" that is tearing our party apart. Before all of that strategy happened, I felt she was a very divisive politician. My feelings were dead on correct. Our party is near the breaking point, at a point where we really need to pull together to beat the Republicans. For so many of her "followers" to comment they would vote for McCain and even do the math knowing that it would hurt Obama more than simply not showing up shows the divisiveness that has occurred during this campaign season. I for one don't care for her personality, but I would vote for her because of what another four years of Bush strategy, economy, recession, war, and supreme court nominations would do to our country. After Bush for the past nearly eight years, we cannot afford such ignorance and petty "high school" behavior. "If my candidate doesn't win, yours will suffer the consequences" mentality. We need to unite our party so that we can win in the fall. I understand that nearly half of the Democratic party supports Hillary, however, the other more than one half does support Obama. Yes, it's clear that there are divisions within our party by gender, race, age, educational level, but if we are truly Democratic and these two candidates platforms are nearly the same, why abandon the party when our country needs you most? I am not an elitist; although, I do have a college education. I worked/paid my own way through as a single parent. I work for education, not the highest paying career, but I love our country and what it stands for. I do support Obama; I am a white, middle aged, female, I know that is crossing over the line of demarcation, so to speak. However, I am educated enough, or understand things better, and I would never vote outside of the Democratic Party for someone so completely supportive of what we have been going through for the past eight years. It's time to really reflect on what you stand for if you are a Democrat and stand behind those values. Let's not let pride or prejudice create a bigger difficulty for our country. My son is of draft age, and I didn't vote for Bush and never supported the Iraq War. So, I don't buy the argument that we should let go of our disapproval of who voted for that ridiculous war. I want a leader with sound judgment. To me, that leader is Obama.

I know that some don't understand the whole Reverend Wright thing. I can't say that I do, but I do know that I don't condone what the Catholic preachers did just by going to a Catholic Church. There are those who are not the best role models out there, but a congregation is the heart of why and where I attend church. I would venture to say that is true for everyone of us out there. It's amazing to me that we would complain so much about Rev. Wright and then have Hillary say it's not important that she doesn't even attend church-the last time she went she thought was Easter, but what does that matter was her exact comment.

One more point, the process of nomination for a party goes over the span of months. I don't hear Romney supporters, or other Republican supporters that didn't get to vote upset about the process when they realized their candidate wasn't going to make it. The other candidates bowed out knowing that it was impossible to win and threw their support behind the candidate for the party. It doesn't alienate voters if there is a clear nominee. It alienates past voters though if their votes are cast off as not important, because of a few states yet to vote that clearly back one over another candidate. WV, KY, you will support Clinton, but your votes cannot overturn what has already happened, and that is the numbers show Obama cannot be overtaken. Even Terry McAuliffe understood this as he stated on Meet The Press yesterday. There would have to be a huge catastrophe for Obama to lose at this point....something so crippling that it's difficult to imagine what could happen. If there were something still that big that's out there, it would have been introduced already. I pray we aren't referring to a Bobby Kennedy situation.

May 12, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  5. Robert in Toronto,ON

Hillary has ZERO experience being the President, so that makes it a fair run against everyone else.

And btw Hillbots – those of you planning to "tank" the election for Obama so that Hillary can run again in 2012....don't forget that turnabout would be fair play. And trust me, you would have a LEGION of angry Americans if Clinton were to torpedo Obama for the general election.

Your candidate would feel the wrath if she were to ever run again.

May 12, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. jimmy velman

WE THINK IT IS STILL PREMATURE FOR ALL THE SUPER DELEGATES TO CALL THE NOMINATION FOR OBAMA AND DISREGARD THE VOTERS OF BOTH MICHIGAN AND FLORIDA.
    WE HEAR THAT OBAMA PLANS TO DECLARE VICTORY SOON.
    NOW , IF OBAMA OR HIS AIDES ARE PREPARED TO OFFER HILLARY CLINTON THE VP SPOT. THE CAMPAIGN WILL PROBABLY END RIGHT THEN AND THERE., IF HILLARY WILL ACCEPT AS SHE MIGHT WELL DO. KEEPING HER OUT OF THAT SPOT IF SHE LOSES THE NOMINATION, WILL ANGER NOT ONLY HER LOYAL AND HUGE NUMBERS OF SUPPORTERS / CONSTITUENTS BUT INDEPENDENTS AS WELL. IT IS PREMATURE TO CALL THE NOMINATION BEFORE SEATING THE MICHIGAN AND FLORIDA
    DELEGATIONS.

May 12, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  7. Moses, Ca.

people please understand, a vote for McCain in the fall is a vote for the "DRAFT". we don't have enough troops to go around. If you have a Son,Nephew,Cousin or a Grandson you'll be voting to send them to a war we shouldn't be in. Is it worth it, not to vote for Obama because Hillary loses?????

May 12, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  8. honkey white guy from cali

Suzy get your facts straight before you keep posting lies Obama has already been to West Virginia and he is also campaigning in FL and MI this week as part of his GE campaign start up get a clue and read beyond the headline it will help you not look so uneducated when you post!

go Obama 08 Yes We Can

May 12, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. Mike

For the Obama-bots –
    The reason why West Virginia, Kentucky, Puerto Rico, and Florida/Michigan matter:

1.Democrats must win Ohio, Pennsylvannia, Michigan, Florida, California, and New Jersey to win the White House.

2.The more you continue to alienate Clinton supporters, the more likely some will vote for John McCain. Because the House and Senate majority is Democratic, McCain would not be able to inflict the type of damage GW Bush did and McCain would only be a one-termer.

3. Latinos, Asians, older voters, and all non-African American minority voters may not vote for Obama – despite his ability to cast his spell over some. If he splits Latinos, blue collar, and older voters, Obama can not win with only the Liberal elite, 1st timers, and African-American voters.

4. If the name calling and disrespectful treatment of Senator Clinton continues, you can count on at least a 25-30% defection of Reagan Democrats "aka" blue collar conservative Dems, going over to the McCain corner. And moderate/conservative Independents as well.

Remember: Mind you manners – Obama-bots!

May 12, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  10. West Virginia

We are proud of our heritage and Klan mantality

May 12, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  11. justobserve

All voters should have their say even though Obama already has won and Clinton can't catch up. We have to humor the Clintons so they can wind down their marathon. If you stop them in their track after such a long time running in a state of delusion, they would be in a deep depression state and they will forget to pay the little people they owed money to. As long as she pays what she owed and runs with more of her own money it's fine. But after this, the Clintons should join Gamblers Anonymous. It's a great trait to be tenacious but when you have to lie (tell voters to turn off TV, radio so they won't know the truth), cheat (change the rules to suit yourself) to keep going against your own family (Democrats) as in the cases of gamblers to get more money to gamble, it is not the kind of tenacity we should cheer on. Beware that our children are watching and learning from our behavior.

May 12, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  12. David in Illinois

Why is it that EVERY state needs to be heard in the Democratic race? The math says it's OVER. Do you see Republicans saying every state needs to be heard?

Ugh! This all about Hillary, not about the Democratic Party or the future of our nation. It's just about HILLARY, and she is absolutely poison.

May 12, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  13. Bridgette

To the Hilary supporter why are you so mad at Obama? He followed the rules that were set in front of him. He did everything that every other person in this race did and I just don't understand why you are so mad at Obama. Are you mad because more people voted for him or are you mad because he raised more money. I just don't understand. How you feel he treated Hilary unfairly. The reality of it was they were two great candidates and their policy are not that far apart whick obviously you believe in because you were voting for them. And now you are going to turn around and vote for everything you disagree with because your candidate didn't win.

I hate to say this being a woman and all, but, maybe women shouldn't be Presidents. Because look how catty you all are acting. Just as catty as your fearless leader. I think it is absolutely just silly to go against everything you believe in and vote for someone because the person in the party you belong to didn't win. If you believed in John McCain that much why didn't you just vote for him from the get go. If you like the country as it is then that's the best way to go.

Let's stop being silly.

May 12, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  14. dz in Austin

When Obama loses the GE, it will be his own and his supporters fault, and nothing to do with Hillary.
    Nobody can win with only 90% of the black vote. You're going to need some of us old, uneducated (not), bitter white people.
    I'm not going to vote for anyone who shows me such little respect. I may not vote for McCain, but I'm not motivated to donate to or work for Obama.
    Obama is the black candidate because that is what he and his supporters have made him. It's not his race that bothers most of us, it's his attitude. Being elitist has nothing to do with where you came from, and everything to do with your attitude now. Don't be condescending to blacks or whites and you'll do much better.

May 12, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  15. timothy Webb Jr

well, we ought to wait for all the states to vote, no matter what she says and does, we have our Nominee.
    Has anyone noticed how everyone is so afraid to tell it like it is, that she needs to leave, but everyone is walking over egg shells, this must be how billy boo walks every day, that is scary.

a huge debt
    behind the popular vote
    behind the SD
    behind the delegates
    behind the race
    everyone sending messages, (not to hurt her ego) carefully
    lies about Colomiba
    lies about Bosnia
    lies about Saudi money
    lies about her library and foundation donor list
    hiding evidence re PaulPeter vs. clinton
    hiding the list of donor
    receives 109,000 million
    private jets
    3 huge homes
    martha's vineyard
    New York home
    elitist
    racist: "white voters, blue collars,"
    shame on you
    it is a personal thing
    my husband first black president
    I am a feminist and work for women's rights all my life: yes see I allow my husband to take advantage of young interns..
    I grew up republican
    I follow advise by Limbaugh
    sniper fire
    VOTED YES for the WAR IN IRAQ

yes that is me, billary aka hillary, bill, and chelsea.. vote for us, you will get not one, but three of us, plus the above list.......and more... more surprises, but in the mean time, give us your vote, your time, and specially your money.............

May 12, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  16. Chris

Its Time to Stand Up for Hillary!!! Hillary has been robbed the nomination. From day 1 the Media has been hard on her. It took until SNL called them out to look at Obama more. By that time Obamas spell has been cast on them and they would not care what he did, they are going to vote for him. What has he done? NOTHING!!! In the Senate for 18 months before he started to run? Come on? And you guys want to just hand over the Role of President to him? NO!!

I, like MANY others will not vote for him and will vote for McCain or just stay home. I would rather vote for someone I know what I'm getting, then vote for Obama who has proved he can do nothing but give an ok speech.

Obama supporters have been the most hateful group of people I have seen. Just read the Ticker over the last 4 months. I have noticed its ok to be sexist and play on that, but don’t you dare say 91% of the blacks voted for Obama. I could care less and I'm happy they are voting for him. But the double standard comes when women or white people (Ohio, Penn, Indiana) vote for Hillary. Just because someone doesn't like Obama and they are white doesn’t mean the are racist. You guys have beat that to death. Now with West Virginia and Kentucky coming up you are at it again. SAD SAD SAD!

Hillary Clinton needs to run as an Independent. I'm pretty sure she could win as an Independent with the supporters. I'm also sure once the election goes on, People will take notice that Obama is just not ready and as we learn more will understand that Hillary is the only choice. The pundits keep saying that Hillary could never win w/o the AA vote, Well Obama can not win w/o 50% of Hillary's supporters.

Hillary 08 Independent!

May 12, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  17. An Agnostic Democrat

Danny G:

Just another example that people are voting for Bill and not Hillary.

May 12, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  18. AJ

It's such an affirmation to see the hateful rhetoric on the blogs by Obama supporters against those who do not support him. It has convinced me that my position is the right one. They say we are racist or ignorant and attribute states like West Virginia and Kentucky as being provincial backwaters whose residents are toothless, inbred idiots. They tout themselves as being educated and enlightened. Apparently they are not educated or enlightened enough to understand that there are many good reasons why lifelong democrats cannot and will not support Obama.
    Well, guys have fun. If Obama is the Democratic nominee, expect him to be ripped to shreds by the Republicans. Expect an exodus of party members that would rather have another republican in office than a Democratic disaster. Expect a division in the party that will not be healed by November, and quite possibly well beyond. Expect that the arrogant and superior attitude of Obama and his supporters will have a nasty backlash.
    Make hay while the sun shines guys, as your day in the sun is soon to end. Your candidate will wind up being seen for what he really is, an arrogant empty suit who has accomplished nothing during his entire political career. It will be fun for the rest of us to watch. I support Senator Clinton and urge all Clinton supporters to either support McCain in the fall or stay home. We don’t need a Democratic empty suit in the White House.

May 12, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  19. Peter

THE ONE THAT CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER.
    THE MOST QUALIFIED
    HILLARY 08

May 12, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  20. John Smith

I did not think the Clintons believe in "hope." It looks though that "hope" is all that is left out there for them, only that this type is a "false sense of hope."

May 12, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  21. MELMARIE

Who cares what that guy thinks... It's a state with Old White Racist people thats going with McSame anyway. Hillary doesn't care if racist people vote for her, "a win is a win"

Obama '08

May 12, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  22. kjames196

Neither Lincoln nor Kennedy had much experience prior to their election as president, so sometimes character and innovative thinking can trump experience (Hoover had a hell of a lot of experience and was a quality individual, but we all know how that turned out....).
    Obama has taken the low blows that typify our current state of politics, and has refused to go negative in return. His refusal to pander on the gas "tax holiday" was particularly impressive. He has the potential to be the leader this country needs right now, to change the direction of the debate.
    And after 8 years of Bush, any Clinton supporters who vote for McCain instead of Obama in the general election have not learned anything; they probably still think there was no difference between Bush and Gore....

May 12, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  23. PAST revisited....

I'll do wonderful things for the people, trust me she says, i'm one of you she says, hmmmmm think about it.......Hitler said the same things then look what happened and who says that the antichrist must be a man. Hillary just scares me and every pic of her recently looks like she is saluting someone with that extended arm and devious smile

May 12, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  24. Paul

As an avid supporter of Obama, I agree that Obama supporters should be careful not to trash Hillary. But that goes both ways. Please everybody... let's be respectful. It's no longer Hillary or Obama that are the ones being divisive. It's We the People who are writing nasty blogs and comments.

May 12, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  25. Susan MO

IT’S 3AM AND THERE IS A PHONE RINGING…
    HRC: I GOT IT!