May 13th, 2008

Hagel laughs off - but won't rule out - joining an Obama ticket

CNN

Watch Sen. Hagel’s interview Tuesday.

(CNN) - Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, who has been mentioned as a possible running mate for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, laughed off the possibility Tuesday in a CNN interview – but didn't rule it out, either.

"I don't expect to be on anyone's ticket this year. I don't expect to be in anyone's government next year," Hagel, who is retiring from the Senate this year, told John Roberts on CNN's American Morning.

But would he consider joining a bipartisan unity ticket with Obama? "I'm going to try and find some honest work," he said, adding that "If [Obama] asks, I'll let you know."

Hagel, a long-time friend and Senate ally of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain, has not yet endorsed any presidential candidate.

1. Pat

I would like this ticket!!!!!!! Unity. We could get some things done for a change in Washington.

May 13, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  2. Bond

This would be better than Hillary. If Obama picks Clinton, then his message of change has been full of crap all this time. We need to see young dynamic presidents with new ideas and new ways to move this country forward.

I pray and hope he doesn't pick Hillary. Hillary will be the poorest choice. I hope he picks Nancy Pelosi.

May 13, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  3. Sam

Obama/Hagel would be an instant winning ticket!!

ps – PLEASE GOD DO NOT ALLOW AN OBAMA/CLINTON TICKET FOR THE SAKE OF THIS COUNTRY!!

May 13, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  4. JC

Hagel is an interesting guy. I will welcome a bipartisan ticket.
    The bottom line is that we are very tired of the bickering between the two parties. Nothing gets done in D.C.

It seems to have taken a Hillary and Bush to smear the lines between the two major parties. We should thank them for it in a sense.

May 13, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  5. Omar C. Baez

This is a response to Gary Jennings.

Iraq a weak issue?!!!!! Young Punks?!!! I'm 39 and I'm proud of the service of my son in the military but Iraq should never have been authorized.

Your candidate voted for what was politically popular and not with integrity.

This has been the defining vote of our time. If you can't see that its because your quite frankly BLIND.

For Obama to have come out against during that time when he was just a state legislator showed more courage than Clinton thats for sure.

Obviously you have never had to deal with hearing about soldiers getting killed in Iraq and then having to wait 48 hours to hear if it was your kid. Then when you dont hear from the military and or you hear from your child then you think about the family who did.

Punks?!! HAters?!!!! Dont throw that BS at me!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  6. Paula in Canada

Hillary Clinton would not be too pleased with her so-called supporters who say they will vote for McCain rather than Obama. They will be giving McCain the power to undo things she spent years of her life fighting for. It's the most idiotic thing I've heard from her supporters yet.

I've been following this election with great interest and couldn't conceive of anyone shooting themselves (and all other Americans) in the foot because of such sour grapes. You will doom your country rather than suck it up and support your party's nominee and allow the progress and change to occur as it should. That's simply pathetic!

May 13, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  7. bwl

Obama could use some military/foreign policy experience with him on the ticket...I think Gen. Clark would make a great running mate – though I am not opposed to Hagel. I don't think HRC would accept the position.

May 13, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  8. El Chino

What astonishes and disappoints me is how significant fractions of Clinton or Obama supporters vow to vote for Mccain if their desired candidate loses the nomination. The elections should be about political orientation and policies -which are what steer the country in the future- as opposed to celebrity following.

I voted for Obama; but if he doesn't win, I will vote for Clinton in the General Elections. It should always be about what candidates advocate and stand for; as far as I understand, Clinton and Obama don't differ much in their political stances, while McCain advocates for the contrary. To the in-fighting people who think themselves Democrats – in-fighting does nothing constructive, except for helping McCain's cause. Wake up. Or maybe I am just plain wrong to think that people can see the election as more than a popularity contest.

May 13, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  9. MillionMan, Washington, DC

I am confused by Hillary supporters who indicate they will vote for McCain if Obama gets the Dem. nomination! Are you folks not Democrats!!?? Would you really prefer to cut off your nose just to spite your face?

McCain is not an independent! He is a Bush Republican! He has sold out any "maverick inclinations" in him to pander to the right-wing conservative base of the Republicans. His reversal on the tax cuts, his speech on appointing conservative judges, his denial of not having voted for Bush, etc. all speak to this pandering.

Obama is a black man running for president. He has received Secret Service protection earlier than any other candidate in history. His life, his wife's life and the lives of their two daughters are being threatened every day. Would not only a patriot go through this!?

Don’t Obama and Hillary agree on most major issues!?

Thus, the questions become: Are you more racist than Democrat!?
    Are you more racist than pro choice!? Are you more racist than anti-tax cuts for the rich!?

May 13, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  10. Utterly Disgusted

I'm a Hillary supporter. I'm NOT a Democrat and no, I don't have children who play soccer and am not a Regan Democrat. I'm an independent. There are things that agree with on policies on both parties. BUT, I WILL NEVER EVER EVER VOTE FOR BARACK, unless he chooses Hillary as his VP. Otherwise, no Hillary, then all McCain and no, he is not nearly as awful as some extreme left wing democrats on this board would have you believe. He, like Hillary are in the middle more and that is what appeals to me. He like Hillary have reached across the aisle. And I truly think they both love this country and will do everything they can to get us back on track. Barack's floundering and is nothing more than Howard Dean's puppet. He'll surround himself with extreme left wing people and if you think for a moment he'd every tap Hagel as his running mate you're really on drugs. Barack is over his head in what he owes Dean. His message is Dean's message and I wouldn't be surprised if Barry blows this whole thing up by choosing the wrong VP. McCain will have a really good chance if Barack doesn't choose Hillary. That's just realistic.

May 13, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  11. 2 Cents

It woul be dumb for Clinton supports to back McCain. If Obama loses, Hillary will be blaimed and she'll get smashed in 2012.

May 13, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  12. Crazy McCain

I am really concerned about HIllary supporters who will vote for McCain if Obama wins the nomination.
    McCain's stance on just about EVERYTHING is different than where Hillary stands, while Obama's platform is almost identical to Hillary's.

I'm not an Obama-maniac, nor do I hate Hillary (I rather like her alot), but it just concerns me that folks are willing to let the nation continue on its path of destroying itself by voting for a man who is so different than both Hillary and Barack.

I am disappointed that we are so desperate to see Hillary succeed that we don't care what happens to the country. Don't get me wrong- I want to see Hillary succeed, but folks out there are going too far.

May 13, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  13. s

When are we going to be tired of hating each other? Hillary supporters won't support Barack, and Barack supporters won't support Hillary. I guess gas prices aren't high enough, we don't have enough forclosures, we need to send more jobs overseas, and we need a few thousand more deaths in Iraq before the hate will stop. I am not a Hillary supporter, but if she steals this nomination I guess she will get my vote because I am beyond tired!

May 13, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  14. Good Grief

I love the idea of an Obama/Hagel ticket!! Either Hagel or Siebelius in the VP slot would make me very enthusiastic.

May 13, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  15. Jewish Women for Obama

This, my fellow Americans, would be the dream ticket that will help change America's course....

Senator Obama, for God's sake, PLEASE choose Mr. Hagel as your running mate... If you do, you are GUARANTEED to win the election by at least 70% of the vote... I can promise you that!

This honorable man completely neutralizes McBush's so-called Washington and National Security experience, and it shows that Obama is willing to work with members across the aisle for the betterment of the American people...

Oh Goodness, I pray he makes the right choice here... This is a no-brainer!!!!

Obama / Hagel 2008, 2012 and forever!

God Bless America!!!

May 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  16. George Likukela

well, well. that is America. A republican on dem ticket? only in America. Are you refering to coalition government? i wonder how he attack his fellow Reps.

May 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  17. PA_Hill-fan

Super delegates can change their mind any time between now and August just like some of them already changed their suppport from Hillary to Obama, they can also change from Obama to Hillary as it is clearly evident that Obama has no chance of winning the General Election.
    If Hillary enters the race as an Independent, she will still win the General Election because Barr will pull votes away from McCain.

May 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  18. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

I HAVE LONG ADMIRED THIS SHARP, HONEST, INDEPENDENT THINKING SENATOR, ONE OF VERY FEW REPUBLICANS WHO HAVEN'T FALLEN VICTIM TO MUCH OF THE FAR-RIGHT BUSH INSANITY WHICH HAS HIJACKED THE GOP IN RECENT YEARS. SEN. HAGEL WOULD BE A SUPERB PICK FOR VP IN AN OBAMA ADMINISTRATION! OBAMA-HAGEL '08!!!

May 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  19. TK

Chris-1st post,
    You are delusional. What are you a 10 year old? "my candidate didn't get elected so I'm going to be against the other candidate". C'mon people, HRC lost in a democratic election and we all should respect it, and support the nominee.

May 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  20. Breaker

Chirs is a disguised republican like many others here !

They are spreading hate and nothing else!

Get lost !

Dems unite and support the fair winner of this contest BARACK OBAMA !

May 13, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  21. Tony Z- MD

a Democrat/Republican ticket happened in MD about 4 years ago. That was the wrong move because it alienated the larger portion of the vote. In this case, it would be a smart move because it is not about party, but about America.

America needs leadership.

May 13, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  22. Omar C. Baez

Oh by the way 100% of the country wasnt behind Iraq after 9-11.

Only those blind sheep who follow without reading or checking were.

Even with my son in the military I wasn't.

If he is going to die for this country I want it to be for something. Not for lies, being politically safe or pure BS.

All of you think about this long and hard about who will have the proper judgement and use integrity in the white house not just go were the wind is blowing like Clinton does.

May 13, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  23. Tired of hillary

Hillary- can we please bring this thing to an end. I am about tired of this circus, plus I think you are beginng to start over on these pant-suits, or you are forgetting the last time you wore it. Any rate I am sick of you and the pants -suits. Before this ends, which I perdict in a few more days, CAN you please wear a dress or a skirt suit.

May 13, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  24. Debby

Hey Benoit if Hillary was at the bottom of McCain's ticket boy that would be a power house. Bloomberg, Richardson, and the others that were mentioned will do nothing for Obama in Nov. Latino's don't even like Richardson and Jews don't like Bloomberg LOL. Lieberman will bring in the Florida vote for McCain if Obama is the nominee and the Panhandle always goes Republican. Obama will bring 10% of blacks in Dade county but from what I am hearing the state will go to McCain driving. If PA and Ohio go red Obama loses big time.

May 13, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  25. Chris and other Clinton fools.

"Clinton run as an independent???" you people are fools. She has been a loyal democrat all her life and now you want her to betray her party just because she lost. What does that sound like to you? Crybaby, sore sport loser...sounds right. I hope your candidate has more credibility and decency than you suggest. Get over it or go join Joe Lieberman and John McCain on the other side. We'll keep Hillary and win with Obama. Thank you!

May 13, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |