May 13th, 2008

Hagel laughs off - but won't rule out - joining an Obama ticket

CNN

Watch Sen. Hagel’s interview Tuesday.

(CNN) - Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, who has been mentioned as a possible running mate for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, laughed off the possibility Tuesday in a CNN interview – but didn't rule it out, either.

"I don't expect to be on anyone's ticket this year. I don't expect to be in anyone's government next year," Hagel, who is retiring from the Senate this year, told John Roberts on CNN's American Morning.

But would he consider joining a bipartisan unity ticket with Obama? "I'm going to try and find some honest work," he said, adding that "If [Obama] asks, I'll let you know."

Hagel, a long-time friend and Senate ally of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain, has not yet endorsed any presidential candidate.

1. Rick FL

I still like the idea of an Obama/Clinton ticket, but the prospect of an Obama/Hagel team is definitely compelling. Unity '08 would coincide Obama's message of transcendence.

May 13, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. 60 YO white female , Springfield, VA

Obam – Hagel 08

That has my vote ! 🙂

May 13, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  3. Anna

He is a straight talker. Thats nice.
    Someone from Nebraska in the White House would be groovy.
    GO BIG RED (as in football)

May 13, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  4. Miro

Hillary running as independent is 100% SURE victory for McCain and 100% SURE defeat for both Obama, Clinton and also for Democrats for next 20 years.

May 13, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. KAB

Wow George-FLA
    Thanks for your honesty, I wholeheartedly disagree but I am so glad someone had the U KNOW WHAT"S to say it!

It's a shame though I don't not like Hillary or MCbush because they are white they just don't care for me or my struggles and my life is not as important as yours seems to be to "those people". I truly thank you for that comment, and i don't take it personal at all.
    That's the reason right there that she will win WV and KY!!

WOW!!

May 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  6. E. POWELL I MD, E POWELL MD II & ER. POWELL MD

AS A REPUBILICAN THIS MAN HAS ALWAYS GAVE US THE FEELING THAT HE THINKS FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. UNLIKE MOST REPUBILICANS HE IS NOT STILL IN THAT "LEAVE IT TO BEAVER" MINDSET. GOOD MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  7. KATY

CHRIS...

YOU ONLY WISH US OBAMA SUPPORTERS WERE BEING HYPNOTIZED AND UNDER SOME SPELL. LOL. IF HE DID HYPNOTIZE ME, THANK GOD! BECAUSE I FEEL GREAT KNOWING THAT I'M WITH A CANDIDATE WHO HAS NEW VISION AND WISDOM FOR THIS COUNTRY.

IF YOU ACTUALLY SPENT THE TIME TO "READ" ABOUT HIS STANCES ON ISSUES AND NEW IDEAS...INSTEAD OF JUST LISTENING TO SOUND BYTES ON TELEVISION, YOU WOULDN'T FEEL COMFORTABLE SAYING THAT HE IS ALL "TALK." HE ISN'T...AND HOPEFULLY SOON, YOU WILL SEE THAT.

OTHERWISE, I GUESS YOU'LL HAVE TO JOIN THE REPUBLICANS...LIKE YOU SAID. OH WELL...NO LOSS FOR US. MORE AND MORE REPUBLICANS ARE SWITCHING SIDES TO SUPPORT OBAMA. I THINK WE COULD HANDLE THE LOSS OF YOUR UNHELPFUL SUPPORT.

THE TIME WILL COME...AND YOU'LL SEE WHAT BARACK WILL ACHIEVE FOR THIS COUNTRY. GREAT THINGS ARE GOING TO COME.

YES, WE CAN.

May 13, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  8. Tony

Besides saying that he will "bring us all together", what has Obama really DONE? How does being arrogant and politically inexperienced enable him to be president? What great things has he accomplished, which qualify him to run the country? How is bringing in someone, who by being so in-experienced allows him to stand for change, make it right? WHY IS EXPERIENCE SUCH A BAD THING?

Oh, because, it's Old Washington? So, automatically, Obama is better? I just don't see the logic. Obama is just another privileged, insulated rich person who has no idea of what it means to struggle.

I believe that there's too many people who feel obligated to vote for him, because he's (half) black (And not African-American, but African) – "to show the world how much we've moved on"... Noble yes, but as a Senator maybe, not for President.

Why do all of you arrogant and nasty Obama supporters say (Shut up, you know you are and so does everyone else), if you even question his qualifications, that you're an idiot? But you people don't have any answers for that – you just get HOSTILE and say we need change. How is that bringing people together? Obama is ALL some pie-in-the-sky image, NO substance. And, no matter what you say, he is a WIMP. Do we want an unqualified wimp to be President? I do not.

May 13, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  9. Yes we can!

EVERYONE THAT VOTES MCCAIN AND SUPPOSE TO BE A TRUE DEMOCRAT DESERVES TO HAVE THEIR VOTE STRIPPED...HOW CAN YOU SAY YOU CARE ABOUT THE ISSUES AND WANT A REPUBLICAN BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE....YOU ARE JUST THAT SPITEFUL THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO DROP YOUR VALUES, MORALS AND CARE FOR THE ISSUES JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT LIKE OBAMA....WHAT HAS HE DONE TO YOU...HE HAS SHOWN UNITY AND GREAT STRENGTH AND GREAT JUDGEMENT....HAS OVERCOME GREAT CONTROVERSEY.....WHAT YOU FAIL TO REALIZE IS THAT THE MAJORITY WANTS SOMETHING NEW, GET OVER IT AND EMBRACE IT CAUSE HE WILL BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT. AND I WAS A MIKE HUCKBEE SUPPORTER, NOW THAT SHOWS YOU HOW MUCH OBAMA HAS CONVINCED ME HE IS THE BEST CANDIDATE!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  10. Mario

Obama/Paul 08 would be the dream ticket that would align the stars, and part the clouds to let the sun shine through.

Obama/Paul 08

May 13, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  11. milo in MS

They gonna need a white man on the ticket if dey wanna win

May 13, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. CAT

Hillary has shown she can be just as racist as the next guy. She is not talking about the
    issues as much anymore, she is only talking about the White Vote. She is only talking about her winning these states as if Obama could not do so against McCain.. Hillary is playing divide and concur and she does not give a dam what that might do to the party in November.

She is willing to sacrifice her ideals and respect with cheep shots and prejudices statements just to get votes and to me that is sad.

May 13, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. Carmen

Yes think about it but we want someone who will be with Obama for changing this nation.

May 13, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  14. Yolanda/S.A. Texas

You know it's interesting to me that all of Hillary's supporters call the Obama supporters names and the same goes for Hillary supporters.

But listen everyone...If your a die hard "DEMOCRATE" what is the problem. I could also bring up a lot of issues myself when it comes to the news media emphasizing the demographics voting for Hillary...Let's see the one that really stands out..."Un-educated" voters comes to mind.
    But Hillary has done her part..." McCain is better than a Democratic"
    Obama.."the Bitter remark"...but overall both have made some serious remarks that tarneshes them both.

So DEMOCRATES stand for change! that's what we want regardless to who is in the top. We don't wish to have another 4 years of Bush politics..Or do we??? I believe we all are smarter than that. Aren't We???

May 13, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  15. Shirley, Silicon Valley, CA

Anyone but the Clintons!

The Clintons' negative baggages will be a huge target for GOP to attack.

The DISHONESTY AND UNTRUSTWORTHYNESS of the Clintons will destroy Obama presidency!

It would be a DISASTER Dems are asking for! The Clintons are huge SINKHOLE draggging everybody down!

May 13, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. Brenda

Sen. Hagel will be an excellent choice for VP candidate. Barack Obama should welcome him as his running mate. Also Huffington Post reports that Obama has gained four superdelegates today. In addition, Jack Johnson, a pledged delegate of Hillary's is switching and he plans to endorse Obama at the August convention.

May 13, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  17. Marshall

CNN – Please Post or do you want a divided party?
    People...I am guilty of bashing. Yes, I can admit it. But we all are. It is time to stop blaming each other. Both sides did it. It wasn't just the Obama supporter or just the Clinton supporters. IT WAS BOTH SIDES.

We need to get past the he said, she said playground justice and focus on the real issue...KEEPING MCCAIN out of the White House.

As I said before, I am guilty. I bashed on both sides. I started supporting one candidate and later changed sides. Who I support doesn't matter because their stand on the issues is almost identical.

Rush wants us to continue to bash and to keep us weak because he knows we could get anyone elected if we stood together. He fears US...A UNITED DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

So let's leave the name calling and finger pointing to the children on the playgrounds and act like adults. Once again, me included.

Let's end the negative and focus on the challenge...Beating McCain.

This is my pledge. Who stands with me?

May 13, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  18. Judy

Kim, if Bill give Hillary some money then proably she would, go out on her own but I don't think her backers would apprepriate that right now. She needs and wants to be top dog.

May 13, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  19. NJ

As long as Hillary isn't the Veep... Lord knows if Obama picked her he'd be dead by the inauguration and Hillary would become president by "default"

May 13, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  20. Calett

Well if Obama-Hagel ticket sound great
    how about McCain-Clinton, simple unbeatable, this way the country will be united.

May 13, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  21. Dee

I am a Republican- really believe in Republican values but really tired of Conservative Republicans..That is why I have become Independent to vote for Obama

I will never vote for Obama if he has Clinton as VP as that will not serve what Obama is standing for...

May 13, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  22. doc-Molly

I have to disagree with you Brian – Hagel does have a personality – ok more like cinnamon oatmeal 🙂 – but being a democrat from Nebraska (a rare thing) Hagel is an outstanding Republican who stood for what he believes in and actually I think he would be PERFECT on the ticket. Obama wants to unite us – then prove it by the choice for vice...

Obama/Hagel!!!!!

May 13, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  23. ella

I dont understand why Clinton's supporters especially the women will not vote for Obama. As a mother I teach my children to handle defeat and move on. If HRC was in the lead and the nomination was given to Obama I could understand but she is not, so why on earth are they so upset. As mothers what are we teaching our kids. Its so sad and its a HUGE shame. If the men come out and say they wont vote for Hillary if Obama isnt nominated, that will cause an uproar. We are better than that as women.

May 13, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  24. Chris (CT)

Chris, I must speak out against you, my namesake. Chris, take a deep breath and relax, you're not being rational. Your shortsightedness is alarming...please tell us you're not really that out of touch? Also, where do you live? I want to make sure I stay clear, the water has obviously gone bad.

May 13, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  25. Kelly

If Obama picks Hagel, I would be pleasantly surprised. It would prove to me he isn't just about lip serivce. That would be one way to get this Independent to switch from McCain to Obama.

May 13, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |