May 13th, 2008

Hagel laughs off - but won't rule out - joining an Obama ticket

CNN

Watch Sen. Hagel’s interview Tuesday.

(CNN) - Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, who has been mentioned as a possible running mate for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, laughed off the possibility Tuesday in a CNN interview – but didn't rule it out, either.

"I don't expect to be on anyone's ticket this year. I don't expect to be in anyone's government next year," Hagel, who is retiring from the Senate this year, told John Roberts on CNN's American Morning.

But would he consider joining a bipartisan unity ticket with Obama? "I'm going to try and find some honest work," he said, adding that "If [Obama] asks, I'll let you know."

Hagel, a long-time friend and Senate ally of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain, has not yet endorsed any presidential candidate.

1. CNN Post This -(http://www.buchanan.org/blog/).

NSM.. I agree with you. I would call it stupidity

May 13, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  2. Chris

What makes you guys think Hillary cant win as an Independent? Why are you scared? Oh, That's right..In the General Election there are no Caucasus for you.

May 13, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  3. Venus

To some of Hillary's supporters:

Get your freaking facts:

Hillary can't run as an Independent this year because she ran in the primary! Just like you, her, and her staff – she ran a bad campaign and this race was over with in February when Obama won 11-states!

Go ahead and vote for Mc Cain – he will need your vote – but – Obama will be our next president!

Can you say........................President Obama!

May 13, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  4. Independent

That is an interesting idea, but I just think people would be too confused by it.

On the other hand, anything would be better than Clinton as veep. Just my opinion. I used to think she was at least ok, but now she frightens me.

May 13, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  5. Jason - KY

Chris,

Get a grip on your way of thinking. Do you really believe that Clinton could really contest for the presidency with only 50% of the people that did vote for her in a poll?

Have you thought about how many people that really is? That's just a sample.

Just suppose they only sampled 100 people, where do the campaign funds come from?

You must be one of those supporter that did not further you education past high school.

May 13, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  6. Alex

Hillary and her democratic supporters who won't vote for the democratic nominee in the general are delusional, and sore losers!!! She's run a good race, but curtain on this show is closing.

I think Sen. Hagel would be a great choice as Veep for Obama and it would definitely show a willingness for change and bipartisanship.

May 13, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  7. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

I like the idea of Obama teaming up with a Republican – but Hagel has the personality of a bowl of oatmeal. Maybe he could try someone like Pataki... just thinking out loud 🙂

May 13, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  8. Bob

Chris:

You are the embodiment of Hillary Clinton. Care nothing about your party or your country, only for yourself and your family.

Hate? Have you read what Clinton supporters have said about Obama. A co-worker tore here Clinton bumper sticker off her car after hearing some of it from Clinton herself. She could of won, if you wasn't such a hater herself. I was for Edwards, but Bill's own hate filled speech made me move to Obama.

May 13, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  9. Swift

There are NO hillary supporters blogging on these sites: they are bitter republicans attempting to make an issue out of clinton's failed campaign.

Clinton loses to McInsane, Obama crushes McInsane, so the american-hating republicans would love Clinton to be the nominee.

May 13, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  10. Mike

The malice on this post between Obama and Hillary supporters is truly disturbing. Both candidates are good people; we must unite as a party around whoever wins if we don't want another 4 years in Iraq.

May 13, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  11. Alex Richards

Chuck Hagel,

Rev. Al Sharpton is more of a Republican than Chuck Hagel. Alright Dems lets do a trade straight up. We will give you Chuck Hagel for Joe Lieberman, Hows that, even? HA..

May 13, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  12. Rob - WA

Chris you are a moron and that is putting it extremely kindly.

May 13, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  13. Jason - KY

Chris,

Have you thought about how many people that really is? That's just a sample.

May 13, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  14. bigben

Obama is the emperor with no clothes.

May 13, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  15. Lumberjack

I'm a Clinton supporter ,but I would definitely Support an Obama/Hagel ticket if it turns out that way. There are very few in the US Government now with more Integrity than Senator Hagel.

May 13, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  16. Alexis

I LOVE THE IDEA!!!

OBAMA/ HAGEL 08, ITS GREAT COME ON EVERYONE CHANT IT!!!
    OBAMA/HAGEL 08 IS GREAT
    OBAMA/HAGEL 08 IS GREAT
    OBAMA/HAGEL 08 IS GREAT
    OBAMA/HAGEL 08 IS GREAT
    OBAMA/HAGEL 08 IS GREAT
    OBAMA/HAGEL 08 IS GREAT

AND ALL YOU HILLARY SUPPORTERS JUST GO SIT DOWN SOMEWHERE!!

May 13, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  17. MM

I would love to see a bipartisan ticket! Imagine what strides that means we've made.

May 13, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  18. Venus

Obama – Mr. Hagel would be a great VP and .....

We can still make history if the Gov. of Kansas becomes Obama's VP!
    I like her better than Hillary and she has a grace with her style! She will probably wear a dress once in a while!

It would be great history in the making!

May 13, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  19. sheryl

That would be the most awesome ticket ever!

May 13, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  20. Lisa in Canada

HRC's campaign was not on the right track. She has turned many white voters away from Obama. She used the race issue to divide the Democrats. She is using her awful mind to do awful things. Even in Canada we all respected the Clinton family even though they went through their rough times. Now I and most other people are seeing the true colors of the Clinton household. Therefore, I'm glad Obama made it this far, he has been through so much to get this far and I respect everyone who has helped him reach this far to unite the World not only America.

Thanks

May 13, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  21. Independent

Chris – You do realize that if Hillary runs as an independent, she will not have the financial backing of the DNC. Considering she is 20 million in debt now, where do you think an independent run at the presidency is going to leave her. I know she has some deep pockets but she will have to pull a Mitt Romney to do this.

Oh and she will also likely be blackballed by the DNC, so she can kiss her senate seat good bye as well.

To all Hillary supporters, its been a tough race, but Obama is not stealing the election, he played by the rules in place. Rules that Hillary also agreed to. If you don't agree with the rules, thats fine, loby to change them for the next election, but they are the current rules in place.

Obama is not buying the election. His money came from over a million supporters that believe in him. They voted with their wallets.

The sad truth is that Hillary was overconfident that she would be the nominee by Super Tuesday and she completely screwed up her campaign because of it. Some year we will have a woman president, it just wont be next year. The time has come to rally around the nominee, just as she would expect if she was that nominee.

May 13, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  22. It kills me..

To hear people say that Obama did not win legally and that he and his supporters are racist and hateful is just ridiculous! Chris, go play in traffic and then hide under a rock with those silly comments.

Anyhoo, picking a Republician for your running mate may not be bad way to go. I'm not up on Hagel's views concerning the issues but I'll be studying them.

May 13, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  23. Ardavan

Chris,
    I have been following this election season from Europe. I have to say, from here it is Hillary's fan that seems to be hateful. When you are willing to vote against your own interest (Obama and Clinton are very close on the issues afterall, aren't they?) it could only be described as hate. So I won't be bragging about how 50% of Hillary supporters will not vote or Obama, that is just the kind of thinking that has given the world 8 years of George Bush.
    Just my .012 Euro

May 13, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  24. Charlotte

How bad can McCain be when Kerry wanted him for a running mate?
    If a write in for Hillary is a vote for McCain then so be it. ABO...
    I will write in Hillary in November. I cannot vote for Obama, mostly because of his bloggers who spew hate and racism. If he appeals to those kind of people, I sure don't want him as president. I don't want to vote for McCain either so that leaves me but one choice…Write in Hillary

May 13, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  25. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Hey, let's take this thing further! How about (drum roll...)

Obama/Rumsfeld! 🙂