May 13th, 2008

Hagel laughs off - but won't rule out - joining an Obama ticket

CNN

Watch Sen. Hagel’s interview Tuesday.

(CNN) - Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, who has been mentioned as a possible running mate for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, laughed off the possibility Tuesday in a CNN interview – but didn't rule it out, either.

"I don't expect to be on anyone's ticket this year. I don't expect to be in anyone's government next year," Hagel, who is retiring from the Senate this year, told John Roberts on CNN's American Morning.

But would he consider joining a bipartisan unity ticket with Obama? "I'm going to try and find some honest work," he said, adding that "If [Obama] asks, I'll let you know."

Hagel, a long-time friend and Senate ally of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain, has not yet endorsed any presidential candidate.

1. Susan Missouri

Back Hillary Clinton.

She is still in the running!!!

Hillary 08!!

May 13, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  2. Chris

Love all the Obama fans replies..Just prove my point.

Its your way or the wrong way right? Just like Obama!

May 13, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  3. Omar C. Baez

Obama and Hagel. That would make an interesting partnership. It would be good to have a joint bipartinship administration in the white house.

What happens with most people in the whitehouse is they get surrounded by yes-men (or women) and dont get any real different opinions.

With having a (or several) republicans in your administration you would be sure to get different view points.

I personally would like to see an Obama-Colin Powell ticket. Imagine that (2) black men in the white house.

Uh oh...watch out all you white people they will take your land (being sarcastic to all of those closet racists!!!!)

May 13, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  4. joann

Chris I said that too – I'm with you – Hillary run as an "independent" – ha, we'll show Obama that Hillary has the popular vote – they will not get me to vote for Obama by pushing Hillary out – they way she has been treated is not the "American" way. She can run independently and show all the Hillary haters that she is the best candidate. Go Hillary;

May 13, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  5. Sue in CT

Chuck Hagel is the flip side of the Joe Lieberman coin and so would be a wonderful VP prospect for an Obama presidency. But would this pairing be too much culture shock for Americans? A Democratic black president with a Republican running mate? That really would be CHANGE! I also like Joe Biden for the VP spot – his foreign policy expertise cannot be equaled.

May 13, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  6. Goutten

To Hilliary Supports,
    A vote for McCain is a vote for destruction. IF YOU DO VOTE FOR MCCAIN WE ALL WILL PAY THE PRICE.

May 13, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  7. jack texas

Obama/Sharpton08

May 13, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  8. young, gifted and black

I feel that haven't someone like Hagel would be counterproductive for Obama such that Obama is an agent of CHANGE and having someone who is a veteran in Washington be his VP just wouldn't agree with his message... I hope that Obama thinks long and hard about his decision for a VP, but please, please don't put Clinton on the ticket!!!

DEMOCRATS UNITED FOR OBAMA 08

May 13, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  9. Peter

EVERYTIME ANYONE THAT SAY SOMITHING GOOD ABOUT OBAMA, THE OBAMA’S EDUCATED SUPPORTER ARE READY TO PUT HE/SHE ON THE TICKET
    IF HILLARY IS NOT THE NOMINEE, WE SHOULD ALL WRITE HER IN OR SHE SHOULD RUN AS INDEPENDENT.
    I FOR ONE WILL NOT SEND A CHECK AND WILL NOT VOTE IN NOVEMBER REFUSING TO ACCEPT AND FOLLOW WHAT THE DNC, THE ESTABLISMENT AND THE MEDIA TELLING US TO DO.
    I WANT MY VOTE TO BE COUNTED. IN THE FUTURE PLEASE HAVE THE NOMINEE SELECT BY PRIMARY ELECTION NO CAUCUSES AND WINNER OF EACH STATE TAKE ALL.
    HILLARY 08

May 13, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  10. Starxzilla

Hillary and Obama's platforms are 96% identical twins... an d McCain stands for almost everything Hillary has been fighting her entire political career to build. Hillary supporters are willing to throw a a Dem on the fire in favor of a 3rd Bush term in the White House just because she didn't win? How can that possibley make sense? McCain = WW3, he can't even help himself... Hill supporters turned McCain supporters will be in the same group as the people apoligizing voting for Bush now. I mean, can we all just hug and make nice for the good of the people who will lose their lives?

Better yet, think of the 4,000 + soldiers and civilians who have died and why... then imagine voting to keep that going, just because you don't like the tone of people who post on a website, someones church, or the fact that someone who supported a different candidate is a jerk? I mean, can we get some perspective here... please???

May 13, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  11. Michael Houston TX.

Sen. Chuck Hagel is a great America, who dare stand for the truth! Thank God he wasn't the nominee for the Republicans, because the race to the White house would have been even exremely competitive! We need people like Sen Hagel to maitain sanity in politics. I would love that his is offered a position in Obama's adminstration, when finally makes it to the White house God willing. Someone like Gen. Collin Powell, would be a good person there too. One of the female Gov. would fit well as VP. There many wonderful women who can do VP job better, those who are used to and are playing "Washington old politics"!

May 13, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  12. Tired of W, OH

CNN, why do you let Republican plants like Chris post this crap on all of your blogs? It's obvious that he's one of the Rush Limbaugh "Operation Chaos" nut jobs who's only trying to throw a wrench in the democratic process.

I refuse to believe that any Hillary supporter honestly would rather see McCain in office than Obama. McCain runs opposite to Hillary on nearly every issue. For example, Hillary is pro-choice. If McCain gets in office, he has said that he will appoint the most conservative judges that will overturn Roe v Wade.

Vote with your brains, people!

May 13, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  13. Mike Birmingham, AL

Wahhh, wahhh, wahhhh … my candidate didn't get nominated, wahhh, wahhh, wahhh…. I'm going to vote for McCain, wahhh, wahhh, wahhh…. I'm going to do my best to ruin this country out of spite, … wahh, wahhh, wahhh….

May 13, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  14. Michelle, Baltimore

Chuck Hagel is a good contender but an even better Rep nominee would be Colin Powell. The Republican's would have a meltdown. One of the most respected men in their party running on the democratic ticket how ironic. It would also be a slap in Bush's face.

May 13, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  15. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Okay, here's the dilemma. Obama can't win in November without Clinton.

But if he chooses Hillary, then all hell will break loose.

Bill can't run for VP because of term limits.

How's this: Obama/Chelsea 08!!! 🙂

May 13, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  16. Starxzilla

Whoops has a type-o (moderators... choose this one instead)

Hillary and Obama's platforms are 96% identical twins… and McCain stands for the destruction of almost everything Hillary has been fighting her entire political career to build. Hillary supporters are willing to throw a a Dem on the fire in favor of a 3rd Bush term in the White House just because she didn't win? How can that possibley make sense? McCain = WW3, he can't even help himself… Hill supporters turned McCain supporters will be in the same group as the people apoligizing voting for Bush now. I mean, can we all just hug and make nice for the good of the people who will lose their lives?

Better yet, think of the 4,000 + soldiers and civilians who have died and why… then imagine voting to keep that going, just because you don't like the tone of people who post on a website, someones church, or the fact that someone who supported a different candidate is a jerk? I mean, can we get some perspective here… please???

May 13, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  17. Thomas

Please allow me to comment just a little more.
    I would like to remind those in support of Hillary Clinton of this fact. I don't think Mr Obama mentioned one time Hillary Clinton's involvement in Whitewater, her husband's immorality while serving in the Whitehouse. She has been extremely viscious in her attack on him but he has been steadfast in maintaining his dignity. I find it extremely difficult to believe that people can be view her as an advocate for the average man or woman when she and her husband recieved 109 million dollars over the past 8 years. What real service did they deliver to justify that much money. Yet, Obama is called an elistist by Hillary. This man just recently paid off his student loans. I thought Americans were smarter than that.

May 13, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  18. Greg F :)...

We do people think that Obama is above politics? He has you all duped...

May 13, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  19. T L

A democrat picking a republican as VP is a joke. Those Obama fans should get their brain check. This move doesn't make you bipartisian, this move makes you stupid. If you think it is a good idea, then I guess McCain should pick Hillary Clinton. Democrats will be out of the white house for another 8 years.

May 13, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  20. joann

Hey Glenn, so now you're turning against bloggers like Chris calling him names because he doesn't agree with you? Well, I don't agree with you either. We might have felt differently if everyone – you, the media – the superdeligates – everyone – wasn't trying to buy this election for Obama – it is just not american to try to force a candidate to step down before all of the people have voted and to treat Hillary with so little respect. She deserves better than that. 95% of all blacks are voting for Obama – that's racism! Not acceptable – I agree with Chris – Hillary should show them all that they cannot force her to go away – she is best qualified; more experience, better plan, she can win as an independent. Go Hillary – and stop the name calling Glenn

May 13, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  21. Extinct Snipe

Nice try media guys. Now you're trying to doom Obama by saying he's somehow linked to rank breakers and Benedict Arnolds. You should wait and see what Obama has to say rather than try to put words in his mouth. Shame on you!

May 13, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  22. Chris Jr

I agree with Chris.

May 13, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  23. pb Voter

Listen I am not an Obama supporter, but the facts are the facts!! Three new justices will be names to the Supreme Court over the next 4 years, ask yourself –do we want McCain to roll back Roe-vs.-Wade - and a women's right to choose what happens to their body. This is SERIOUS people –it is no time for hurt feeling!!! GET OVER IT –I AM!! I DON'T WANT to pay $10 a gallon for gas. TOO MUCH is at stake!!

Signed,
    A Hillary supporter but a REALIST 1st

May 13, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  24. Girl 2

Obama/Hagel 2008... Unbeatable.. Two people against the war

May 13, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  25. Deb.

Chuck Hagel voted for the war, doesn't that automatically disqualify him for his faulty judgment?

May 13, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |