May 13th, 2008

Hagel laughs off - but won't rule out - joining an Obama ticket

CNN

Watch Sen. Hagel’s interview Tuesday.

(CNN) - Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, who has been mentioned as a possible running mate for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, laughed off the possibility Tuesday in a CNN interview – but didn't rule it out, either.

"I don't expect to be on anyone's ticket this year. I don't expect to be in anyone's government next year," Hagel, who is retiring from the Senate this year, told John Roberts on CNN's American Morning.

But would he consider joining a bipartisan unity ticket with Obama? "I'm going to try and find some honest work," he said, adding that "If [Obama] asks, I'll let you know."

Hagel, a long-time friend and Senate ally of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain, has not yet endorsed any presidential candidate.

1. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

How about Obama/Condoleeza '08?

May 13, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  2. Len

I think this an idea to consider but I do not think it would work.Other than Irag I do not think Hagel agrees with Obama or many other democrats in general with other policy issues..I prefer Senator Jim Webb form Virginia because of the demographics and his military experience.He also was Secretary of the Navy in th Reagan administration which could help to bring in some of the on the fence Republicans. My last comment refers to frustrated Hillary democrats whom would vote for John McCain.Please become more informed about the consequences of your decision and a McCain administration i.e. continuation of the Bush war and economic policies and continued nomination of convervative judges to the Surpreme Court are just a few.

May 13, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  3. proud army and navy mom

not Hagel. Sen Joe Biden would make an excellent running mate. He has loads of experience and he's very likable, honest and smart.

May 13, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  4. Joe in FL

I hope that when all of this is said and done, Hillary Clinton is long remembered as the driving force that let the GOP retain the White House in an election season that should have been a landslide to the Democratic Party.

All of you that insist that you’ll vote for McCain if Hillary doesn’t get the nomination deserve whatever you get. It’s sad that you’re willing to take the rest of your party and your country with you.

All of you liberal women that insist that it’s time for a woman president, without regard for the best interest of your country, brace yourselves. John McCain will install at least two Supreme Court justices and your precious Roe v. Wade will be overturned.

As distasteful as this campaign has become, I will vote for whoever the democratic nominee is. I don’t believe America or the world deserve another four years of the failed policies that will be continued under a McCain presidency.

May 13, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  5. Jeanie Martindale

Chris,
    It is obvious the polls are correct. Hillary gets the uneducated vote. Are you still working on your GED?

May 13, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  6. jeff - Dallas

An Independent run by Hillary ensures a victory by McCain.

50 year old college educated white Texan for Obama.

May 13, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. MD

Chuck Hagel is a patriot and for a Republican, he is the only one who has a clue of the reality on the ground. However, he would not fit into Obama's message. I think Sebelius is the best candidate.. A female governor in the midwest/south... Oh yes!

May 13, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  8. Alex H

Chris May 13th, 2008 10:18 am ET

Love all the Obama fans replies..Just prove my point.

Its your way or the wrong way right? Just like Obama!
    ========================================

Says the sore loser...

May 13, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  9. Rich

I hope Obama ask's. I hope Hagel accepts.

May 13, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  10. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

What about Obama/Nader? That way, we'll still have high gas prices, but at least our cars will be safe!! 😉

May 13, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  11. Terry Davis

What better way to unify the nation, an Obama/Hagel ticket. would be along the lines of his platform. I still remember his speech in 2004
    Democratic National Convention......"especially after 9-11, we shouldn't be divided between blue states and red states but focus on being part of the United States".....

May 13, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  12. Debby

Obama can put Mickey or Mini mouse on his ticket he still isn't going to win in Nov. without Hillary Clinton supporters. If they want her to concede they will have to resolve Michigan and Florida, otherwise this Dem. party is going into the crapper.

May 13, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  13. rachel

There is just something not quite right about Obama and its not his skin color, its his personality his arrogance and the arrogance of his supporters. They talk all this stuff about Obama not really need stupid racisit white blue collar democrats anyway cause well he will get enough independents, and watch if Obama looses Hillary and the blue collar democrats will be the first ones to get blamed, when it will really be Obama's fault and his supporters arrogance and attitude of who cares anyway. I think its really awful how the DNC has treated hillary as a canidate they knew who they wanted all along they just made sure it happened. I have voted democratic every since I was able to vote. As a 33 year old african american woman I am thinking about becoming an independent I am tired of the democratic party taking my vote for granted. I am also not sure about voting for Obama. I dont think in good conscience I can. Also who is tell anyone why they should vote for a president? Yes some people vote on issues that will personally affect them, others vote for the president that reminds them of someone or what they beleive the person represents ex Obama's hope, Hillary' never give up attitude. CNN post

May 13, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  14. HH

Those Hillary voters who say they would vote for McCain over Obama are not true democrats. And are the ones that made our country such a mess. These are the people that should go fight the war and have there taxes raised so they should pay for it.

May 13, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  15. F. Hayle

I reside in Toronto Canada and following the US politics since the nomination began. I think Hillary would be the best V.P for the Democratic Party. She would get all the Democratic women voters included Republicans and swing voters to support Barack. These two would bring back America on the front page once again, so John Mc Cain and the old tired Republican regime will finally put to rest.
    Fitzroy

May 13, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  16. gerard morei

Chris I been pushing that idea for 2 weeks, let start that movement to support Hillary as an Independent candidate.
    Hillary for President as a Democrat or Independent!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  17. real obama supporter

CHRIS THAT WILL ONLY CAUSE HILLARY A CHANCE TO WIN IN 2016 TO LOOSE EVERY THING. ALL DEM. WILL BE SO MAD THEY WILL RUN HER OUT ON A RAILIF YOU ARE A DEM. YOU WILL START ACTING LIKE IT.

May 13, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  18. Chester

No disrespect to Mr. Hagel, but there are too many qualified democrats
    to put a republican on the ticket.

May 13, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  19. libby

I would not be surprised, Hagel has been a turn coat, and never was
    a Republican, good riddence to him.

May 13, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  20. Kevin

When I first heard Obama speak (at the convention and then in Rhode Island), he spoke of a new era of post-partisan politics.

While I'd prefer a completely democrat ticket (and progressives at that), I'd go in for an Obama/Hagel ticket or some combination.

That would show the great middle of America that we are after a new kind of politics – one that tries to solve problems, not create them.

Now that would be interesting.

Not holding my breath, but we'll see... Who would have thought that a black guy named Obama would be our nominee.

Maybe now is the time...

May 13, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  21. Michael, an indepedent

It is so unfortunate that so many Clinton supporters are reacting to their emotions, not to logic, when it comes to voting for Obama if he becomes the Democrat's nominee for President. I have yet to read any substantive argument from a Clinton supporter as to why they don't like Obama. Its pure spite.

In regards to Hagel joining Obama......interesting, but does this reflect true change in politics in Washington?

May 13, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  22. Listen Up

To Chris and other Hillary supporters who plan to desert the Democratic Party of Obama wins the nomination: you do no honor to Hillary Clinton, her campaign or her political legacy by working to hand her real opponent, John McCain, the presidency. Hillary is a firm believer in the principles of the Democratic Party, and has fought hard for them for most of her life. It would be disrespectful to her, and possibly harm her future in the party, if you jump ship just because she doesn't win. Remember, there is a reason we pledge our allegiance to the flag and not to the individual holding the office of president. This is about something much larger and greater than any one individual.

May 13, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  23. Disappointed in California

Obama/Hagel – maybe Hagel will have some influence on Obama to drop the racist, anti-american Reverend Wright since they are all back together in church again! Bad judgment then and now. Obama's platform is actually quite different than Clintons, and Clinton is the only one to beat McCain. Obama's platform is in line with the beliefs and followings of Trinity UCC.....so they are substantially different in that regard.

So Obamaites and DNC – if Obama is the nominee and he looses to McCain (which he will), are you all willing to commit to spending at least 2 hours a week at your local VA volunteering to help the injured soldiers? It will be because of Senator Obama's own selfishness and ego to think he could beat the Republicans, and his supporters also....so make that commitment if you are so sure he can beat McCain. Otherwise, you all are just talk – oh ya, just like Obama.

May 13, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  24. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

I didn't know Hagel could laugh. 🙂

May 13, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  25. Thomas

Please guys and gals show the world that we can select an individual based on substance. We are in a very difficult time in this country. We are in competition for oil and other scarce resources on this planet. Our economy is increasingly dependent on events in other parts of the world. We need someone to represent our interests with diplomacy and skill. Mr. Obama is clearly the only one in the presidential race that has the best hope of resolving some of our international and domestic problems. If your only reason for hating this gentleman is based on pigmentation then your soul is corrupt beyond repair.

May 13, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |