May 13th, 2008

Hagel laughs off - but won't rule out - joining an Obama ticket

CNN

Watch Sen. Hagel’s interview Tuesday.

(CNN) - Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, who has been mentioned as a possible running mate for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, laughed off the possibility Tuesday in a CNN interview – but didn't rule it out, either.

"I don't expect to be on anyone's ticket this year. I don't expect to be in anyone's government next year," Hagel, who is retiring from the Senate this year, told John Roberts on CNN's American Morning.

But would he consider joining a bipartisan unity ticket with Obama? "I'm going to try and find some honest work," he said, adding that "If [Obama] asks, I'll let you know."

Hagel, a long-time friend and Senate ally of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain, has not yet endorsed any presidential candidate.

1. Charlotte

I will write in Hillary in November. I cannot vote for Obama, mostly because of his bloggers who spew hate and racism. If he appeals to those kind of people, I sure don't want him as president. I don't want to vote for McCain either so that leaves me but one choice…Write in Hillary

May 13, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  2. sozzi

Webb or Hagel, will do.

May 13, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  3. joao

Obama/Ted Kennedy. What a duo !!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  4. Barry IL

With his theme of change, it may better if Obama chooses one of the governors for VP than Washington insiders. Retiring Senator cannot stand as a mark for change, changing Washington.

May 13, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  5. Matt Florida

I want someone on Hillary's side to actually give solid reasons for why they hate Obama so much. They say he has no experience. NO ONE has experience. The last time I checked, all of the candidates have never been president before.

They say he is a liar and a crook. Please give some examples instead of name calling.

How is he horrible? I think in the absence of the traditional name calling and hate/attack ads that have been less absent than in the past, we fellow democrats have resorted to doing the dirty work for the campaigns. We don't need to fight, we are all on the same side and the platforms for both democratic cadidates are virtually the same.

There is a lot of spite in this primary, but lets not lose sight of the main goal, NOVEMBER.

May 13, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  6. HILLARY CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER!!

***************** RUN AS AN INDEPENDENT HILLARY********************

WE WILL SUPPORT YOU AND I AM SURE YOU WILL WIN!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  7. GDC

To CNN....

If you want to do everyone a true favor, you appear to be randomly deciding what comments to post and which not to post, then do no post the bitter/angry comments regardless of which candidate they are/aren't supporting.

To everyone....
    I also ask everyone on here, regardless of who you support, to refrain from posting attacking and hateful comments. This doesn't help the current situations of country or democracy at all. It's childish and no matter who you support, very sad and pathetic.

On this blog (a great point/idea from the blog)....
    I think Governor Sebelius from Kansas is a great running mate, if (and most likely when, with the current state of the primaries) Obama wins the nomination. She's done some amazing things for the state of Kansas, if anyone reads background information on her, and she's done it all in a way that everyone can respect. She's made vast improvements in the economy of the state, held true to her believes without flip-flopping or pandering, and stood strong against corporate temptations/threats/monopolies. She's also been able to win, by a respectably large margin in a commonly Republican/moderate state for two terms.

Many have predicted she will run in 2012 or 2016, and stepping into the VP role with Obama would be a great step in the direction, as well as show Obama trying to mend the bridges (that's what we democrats and this country really need to do with so many groups, and in so many ways) with female voters that strongly supported Hillary as a female representative.

May 13, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  8. Helen

First post from Chris.

New Flash.... Hillary can't afford the race she's in now. How can you suggest she run as a independent?

She lent the campaign that $11.4 she expects it back. You do understand the President position doesn't pay that well.

But rather than stump on your dreams...go ahead and she if Hillary can make it as an Independent.

I must admit...this primary season has been extremely entertaining.

Helen
    Charlotte, NC

May 13, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  9. Enlightened Voter

This would be great i think, anybody but Clinton. Also it would prove that Obama is the great uniter.

May 13, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  10. SOLOMON EMERUWA

EVERY PAST NOMINEE OF EITHER PARTY HAS GOTTEN THERE BY WINNING THE PRESCRIPED NUMBER OF DELEGATES TO THEIR PARTY'S CONVENTION. IF THE DEMOCRATS CHANGE THE RULES NOW JUST TO DENY A BLACK THE PRESIDENCY, HILARY WOULD HAVE PREVAILED BY DESTROYING THE DEMOCRATIC PART.
    IF ON THE OTHER HAND IF NANCY PELOSI AND THE DNC INSIST ON THE RULES BEING THE RULES, AMERICAN PRESTIGE ALL THE WORLD OVER WILL BE THE HIGHEST SINCE 1776!!
    THE WORLD ,BOTH FRIENDS AND NON-FRIENDS ARE WATCHING HOW AMERICA TREATS OBAMA AND TAKING SERIOUS NOTES!!

May 13, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  11. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin Endorses Barack Obama; Delegate Countdown – 148 To Go:

Thanks for the news. I didn't see this one on CNN!

May 13, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  12. Andrea

Chris, this is not a kindergarten playground. Why the hate? Can't you give this guy some credit? He is, alone, up against 3 Clintons and winning. If he is so bad, why is he winning? You make no sense at all. They are very close on the issues. Try to support each other and stop this hateful crap.

May 13, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  13. Johnny Be Good

I didnt even think you could do that!!!! Who knew, I guess I would be down with that as long as he CAN NOT affect policy. Those GOP guys are wacko's. I always beleived that the Democrats have a better agenda for this country than the GOP does!

May 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  14. nycdem

obama/hagel would be bulletproof.

obama 08!

May 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  15. anybody but clinton

i fully understand why hillary supporters would not vote for Obama inspite of the fact they'd be cutting off their nose to spite their face. she said it best - her supporters are hard working UNEDUCATED white Americans. Only the truly uneducated would be so moronic as to vote for someone totally opposed to their values/beliefs in order to make some kind of point.

i can see Hillary's victory speech Tuesday night in WV. Probably within the first 3 minutes she'll ask for money and give her website so people could contribute. Maybe if she gets back that $12 million she put in from her 109 plus million, she will finally be able to quit.

May 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  16. MARION WILLIAMS

HILLARY-HILLARY-SLICK WILLY-I AM SICK AND TIRED OFHEARING ABOUT THE LYING CHEATING CLINTONS.THEY WANT BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE TO FINISH THE JOB THEY STARTED WHEN THEY MOVED OUT,SEE HOW MUCH MORE THEY CAN STEAL.THEY HAVE A 1.2 MILLION FRAUD CASE IN COURT IN CALIFORNIA NOW WHERE THEY BORROWED MONEY FOR HER SENATE BID AND COMITED FRAUD.I HOPE THEY SENT THEY BOTH FOR A RIDE THEY THINK THEY RUN THE WORLD.WAY UP WHITE RIVER WOULD BE A BIG LAUGH.SLICK WILLY SAID IF HE RELEASED ALL THE TAX RETURNS ETC SHE WOULD LOOSE THE NOMINATION,SHE HAS LOST ANYWAY.SEE WHERE LYING HAS GOT HER GO TO BOSNIA AND FIGHT SNIPER FIRE.

May 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  17. H

OBAMA AND HAGEL ARE LOSERS

May 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  18. Brian from New Jersey

So apparently none of these people that suggest an Independent Hillary Clinton ticket have ever picked up a history book. Let me do you a favor, and save you from that short 10 pages of reading:

In 1912, Teddy Roosevelt and W. H. Taft were both Republicans that disagreed with each other. You could see the same kind of split going on in the modern Democratic nomination process. Roosevelt decided to run as an independent, so th Republican vote was split down the middle, allowing Wilson to become president with just over 40% of the popular vote. So if you really want to see McCain for '08, then keep proposing that Hillary run as an independent and show everybody your ignorance.

May 13, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  19. Ovidiu Carstea, Florida

For Billy From Fla and all Hillary supporters:
    Do you need the EXPERIENCE on lying people?
    Vote for Hillary.
    Shut yourself in the foot.
    Be my guest.

May 13, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  20. glory cartier

This is to Chris
    you know chris you sound just like a rasist to me. How is it that Senator Obama people are hateful, and hillary's'not? well let me tell you something-i voted for Bill Clinton, twice when he ran for president, but when that sex thing came out and he outright lied; that turned a lot of people off.I would not have voted for hillary,anyway if S.Obama was not running,I would have for another democrat. hillary pouts too much she cannot have everything her way all the time ,no one owes her anything, I think she is turly a nasty hateful person, who donot and will not help any body but herself. A new direction without and her husband is what this country need right about now, history should not repeat it self.

May 13, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  21. Kathy

A real UNITY ticket would be Obama asking Clinton to be his running mate.

Because I'd like to SEE Obama walk his TALK, and UNIFY our party - and selecting Hillary is the only way to prove he is really "above it all". I would respect and support the man if he could do that.

If Clinton is not asked to run as VP, I will write her name in....as president.

May 13, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  22. Bev (WI)

I am a Hilary supporter, but more importantly I am a DEMOCRAT! I am astonished how many people are willing to sacrifice the next 4 years of their lives just out of spite. Come on fellow Hilary supporters, wake up! We need to unite for the good of the country. I will always be proud of Hilary, but it's over. Obama ran a better campaign. How many more lives need to be lost in Iraq? You people are actually willing to send more soldiers over to be killed, maimed, and forever scarred mentally? Please don't be selfish this November, vote Democrat!

CNN, Please Post This!

May 13, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  23. Rich SI NYC

Hey Billy Frm Fla:

Riddle me this, if Hillary & McCain have so much experience. Why did both of their campaigns fqace bankruptcy? even though they had BOTH been involved in a presidental campaign before? Hillary's campaign was a complete disaster. and shows she really doen't have a grasp of what she is doing. Especially because she hired a guy "Mark Penn" who didn't even know the rules of teh Demorcratic party. It's a complete contrast on what she has run on (but to be honest she's changed that theme so many times who can keep up) If people really take a close look at Hillary. They'll see an exstreemly flawed candidate. And all this BS about if Hillary is not good enough to be president then who is ridiculous. Her gender was not the reason she lost the nomination. Her incompitent campaign was. And any Clinton supporter who is considering voting for McCain is just a plain stupid racist. Becaue on Policy Obama and Clinton are virtually the same.

May 13, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  24. HILLARY CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER!!

I LOVE HOW ALL HILLARY PEOPLE ARE SUPPORTING HER SO STRONGLY!!!!!!!

WRITE HER IN IN NOVEMBER IF SHE ISN'T THE NOMINEE!!!!!!!

LOOKING FORWARD TO A WIN TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  25. Paul

Alan in Fla...Learn how to speak/write properly!
    "and he in not about anything including change"???

Your comment really loses its effect when you cant even spell!

May 13, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |