May 13th, 2008

Majority of Dems want Clinton to be V.P.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/13/art.clintonvp.gi.jpg caption="A majority of Democrats want Clinton to be vice president."]
(CNN) - Even as the prolonged Democratic presidential race has become more divisive in its final stretch, a majority of Democrats want Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new poll out Tuesday.

A new Gallup poll shows 55 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents surveyed think Obama should offer the New York senator a spot on his ticket. That number is significantly influenced by Clinton's supporters - close to 75 percent of her backers want the No. 2 spot to be offered, while only 43 percent of Obama supporters feel the same.

The poll comes as some of Clinton's highest profile backers increasingly suggest Obama and Clinton should team up for the general election. Speaking in New York Friday, Sen. Chuck Schumer said he at first didn't think such a team was possible but now believes "it could be."

"Hillary and Barack have both run very strong and great races, and I think they'd be a strong ticket together," he said.

Rep. Charlie Rangel, who also backs Clinton, also put his support behind a joint ticket Monday. Speaking on CNN, the New York congressman said such a scenario would be "terrific," adding "I hope it works out that way."

1. Lee WV

I am a republican for Obama but I won't vote for Obama/Clinton.Too much baggage with Bill and Hillary tagging along.

May 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  2. Enlightened Voter

HELL NO!!!! I am a staunch supporter of Barack and the democratic party but I might have to sit that one out. Besides Obama wouldn't last one month before she tries to off him and take over as president. I believe she is very capable of that. I put nothing past her.

May 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  3. Gabe, Austin TX

I think that would be a terrible idea

May 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  4. Status QuO.

At this point it's not easy to see how all of Hillary's supporters are going to react. It is almost safe to say Obama will not win without Clinton. We'll see!

May 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  5. Veterans For Obama

She would help the ticket, but can she take a back seat. Also in 2012 will she be running AGAINST Obama, or would she wait till 2016, when she's McCain's age?

Obama would have to hire a food taster!

May 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  6. Dylan

ehhh.... NOT THIS DEM.

I'd much prefer Kathleen Sebelius, Jim Webb or John Edwards.

May 13, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  7. A New Mexican

I think a better VP candidate would be Sebelius from Kansas. With her, you get a very strong democrat who well liked in the midwest. I think she may be able to bring some of the Clinton supporters back. I think that Hillary Clinton doesn't bring enough to the ticket and has said too many damaging things about Obama.

May 13, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  8. SL, Reno

This is so NOT TRUE....good try, CNN.

May 13, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  9. David in Illinois

Hillary woud be a bad choice for veep only because of Bill. He would complicate things in the White House. I don't recommend an Obama-Clinton ticket. Wes Clark would be great, Bill Richardson maybe. But not Hillary. That would be a train wreck. The GOP Swift Boat machine would get three for the price of one... Don't do it Sen. Obama!!

May 13, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  10. gerald strother

Just in Abama add 4 more Superdelegates to DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  11. Bill L

As a long time Republican, I voted for Obama because I want change from politics as usual. If the Clintons (Bill and Hillary) are added to the ticket, that is a step backward, and I would not vote for such a ticket.
    If they are worried about Clinton supporters not voting for Obama, th party should worry about Obama supporters who will not vote for Clinton. A new face is needed for Vice President.

May 13, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  12. Veterans For Obama

I prefer Wesley Clark. He's a smart man that would take some of the Liberal edge of Obama's image.

May 13, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  13. Jenny

No way! That would not work. He should offer that to someone else.

May 13, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  14. Francis

Not this Dem. I don't even think she should be in politics. We have rewarded her enough to the tune of 109 million dollars. She'll be fine.

May 13, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  15. Venus

Obama got 3-SD this morning!

Here we got with these so-call POLLS!

This is another game Hillary's staff is trying to spin!

No way Obama! Hillary was too nasty and I think Ted Kennedy said it best! She is not fit to be Obama's VP!

She ran a BAD campaign and she is OLD!

Let's move forward!

May 13, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  16. Obama will be President!

Let's let Barack choose.

May 13, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  17. We don't need a motivational speaker for President

Obama/Clinton 08 = The Socialist States of America

Good job liberals....good job!

May 13, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  18. Dennis

She turned this process into a circus and I will not vote for her.

May 13, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  19. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Let's see.... They started out as good friends, they agree on just about everything, but now they're at each other's throats. And now they want to kiss and make up.

Sounds like my family.

In fact, it sounds like ALL families! Maybe it could work. But we'll need to keep Bill in a cage.

May 13, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  20. A.K.

Well, this Democrat doesn't.

May 13, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  21. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Well, this is one Dem that does NOT think she should be VP. I don't mind being in the minority.

Hillary just doesn't 'get it'. Obama does, and we need a VP who also 'gets it' and who will support the president and his agenda 100%, not play power-politics behind his back.

She's a good woman. Let her stay in the senate and use her power there.

May 13, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  22. Tony Z- MD

Doubt it. Clinton would have to eat a lot of words to make this happen. See what happens when you say anything to win.

May 13, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  23. Lan Hennessy

Myself and my familly are Hillary supportors, we would love to see Obama and Hillary joind ticket for November against John McCain. That will be undefeat able team. If just Obama and no Hillary in the dream ticket, we will support Join McCain.

May 13, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  24. Democrat

I actually have lost a lot of respect for both Clintons during this election. I was for her until she put McCain above Obama.

But we desperately need to get the Republicans out from behind the wheel of this train wreck!

And I believe Obama/Clinton would be a sure thing. So I'll hold my breath and vote for her and hope she doesn't bring old style politics into the new thing Obama is trying to do – WE NEED CHANGE before we lose everything.

May 13, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  25. A.K.

Also, "blives" is not a word.

May 13, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |