May 13th, 2008

Majority of Dems want Clinton to be V.P.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/13/art.clintonvp.gi.jpg caption="A majority of Democrats want Clinton to be vice president."]
(CNN) - Even as the prolonged Democratic presidential race has become more divisive in its final stretch, a majority of Democrats want Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new poll out Tuesday.

A new Gallup poll shows 55 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents surveyed think Obama should offer the New York senator a spot on his ticket. That number is significantly influenced by Clinton's supporters - close to 75 percent of her backers want the No. 2 spot to be offered, while only 43 percent of Obama supporters feel the same.

The poll comes as some of Clinton's highest profile backers increasingly suggest Obama and Clinton should team up for the general election. Speaking in New York Friday, Sen. Chuck Schumer said he at first didn't think such a team was possible but now believes "it could be."

"Hillary and Barack have both run very strong and great races, and I think they'd be a strong ticket together," he said.

Rep. Charlie Rangel, who also backs Clinton, also put his support behind a joint ticket Monday. Speaking on CNN, the New York congressman said such a scenario would be "terrific," adding "I hope it works out that way."

1. carrie

eeeeeeeeeeeew
    then i guess america will be held responsible when hillbilly tries to stage a coup.
    that woman will do anything to be in the white house.
    truth is the navy place is still too good for her.
    she deserves to be in an old folks home in some redneck county.
    CNN why?

May 13, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  2. kani

no way!!! it will screw up between clinton and obama for joint ticket!! and try to STEAL obama's "PRESIDENT" !!!

obama 08

May 13, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. Missy

Obama does not need Hillary Clinton to win the Presidency. I hope he stays away from the idea. Imagine the conflicting messages that would be sent out by her. Obama would have to answer for her and her shady husband constantly. I kind of hope he asks Richardson.

May 13, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. kathy

well maybe she could keep an eye on obama if she was, it seems the choices he makes are not very smart. But even with her on the ticket i still dont think i could vote obama and rather see her wait till 2012

5. Angus McDugan

I knew it... It would allow her to decline the offer and give her supporters a reason to vote for Obama. BTW, it would be a leadership disaster to have those two trying to work together.

6. Mark

Hillary is a sad woman–and I can't wait until she exits stage left. She will never get another vote from me, she already gets my tax dollars. And I might add, she will never have to pay a dime for gas because we, the taxpayers pay for it. No wonder she can afford to "save" us $30. this summer.

What a piece of work.

7. Michael

I think putting Hillary on the ticket is the fastest way to bring the party together. That being said, Obama will have to think about the possibly of winning the election with Clinton as VP. She would probably be one of the most powerful VPs, even more so than Cheney.
    And I'm pretty sure a President cannot fire a VP as they are elected.

The Dems lost this election. Obama won't chose Clinton and the party will remain divided, clearing the way for McCain to be the next president.

8. ConsDemo

This is an idiotic idea. Hillary would expect to be a "co-President", there is no way that would work. I've yet to see any evidence an Obama-Clinton ticket would be the strongest in the general election and there are certainly plenty of others who bring real (as opposed to self-declared) experience that Obama needs to balance the ticket.

9. Neal

How can she be a VP candidate? She always "believed" that Obama is not ready for Presidency. With that kind of attacks, and given that she DESPERATELY wants to be the President, I would not trust her in the VP seat.

10. Dean - Colton, CA

I keep hearing people say Obama and his supporters are 'hateful', and yet it is the Clinton supporters who will "Definitely never vote for Obama", while most Obama supporters say they would vote for Hillary.

So I ask – who is hateful? I keep getting these Orwellian nightmares "Hate is Love", "Bitterness is Contentment", "Liberal is Conservative". Scary...

11. Don Wharff

Putting Clinton on the ticket for VP would be a slam dunk victory for Mc Cain as it should be. She as well as Obamma are not friends of the USA and the 2 most dangerous to a civilized world.

12. Jane L.

Actually, the majority of democrats wanted Clinton to be president.

13. carrie

Billie holiday/jennifer hudson,im borrowing you song
    "there's no no no no way
    no no no no way."

14. Johnny Be Good

NO......NO.......NO...............NO............NO...........NO........NO

I would not vote for that woman if she were running for garbage collector of my city!

But in the end I want us out of Iraq, so I guess I will have to hold my nose when I pull the lever.

CNN, you people never let up. Does she owe you people something????? Everyother news stations

15. APS in Hawaii

That ticket would not work. Obama is incompetent. Does not matter, if Hillary does not get the nomination, I will be voting for McCain as a protest vote. I will never vote for Obama. All mouth and no action.

16. Ohio Observer

What’s the deal with CNN love affair with Clinton? Remember, Clinton stated that she and John McCain have a lifetime of achievement to be Commander and Chief while Barrack just gave a speech. Why would he pick her as VP so both of them could answer non-stop questions about Clinton Belittling Obama through out the Primary Campaigns?

17. SK

In their dreams.....she is bad news.....she is a lair and dishonest person.....who is going to control Bubba.....he will be chasing the female white house staff.

We need change from the past. Obama is future and Clinton's are from the past.

May 13, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  18. Kris

obama/Sebelius 08

May 13, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  19. Venus

No way Hillary!

You won't be our VP!

SDs and counting! So far this morning – Obama got 4-Superdelegates!

Way to go!

May 13, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  20. DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!

LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN!!! SEND McBUSH PACKING EVEN B4 HE GETS THERE!

May 13, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  21. carrie

"good bye my friend
    it IS the end"

May 13, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  22. What

For pete's sake, either of them alone is bad enough, why make it worse by putting them together. Daggone it

May 13, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  23. Darryl- Montebello

NO, WE DON"T WANT HILLBILLY OR SLICK WILLY AROUND

May 13, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  24. Pam

How many people did they ask? Were they all Clinton supporters? I think that would be a terrible idea.

May 13, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  25. tom

all they want is her to be on the ticket, she lost it is up to Obama to pick his running mate, Billary no

May 13, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |