May 13th, 2008

Majority of Dems want Clinton to be V.P.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/13/art.clintonvp.gi.jpg caption="A majority of Democrats want Clinton to be vice president."]
(CNN) - Even as the prolonged Democratic presidential race has become more divisive in its final stretch, a majority of Democrats want Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new poll out Tuesday.

A new Gallup poll shows 55 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents surveyed think Obama should offer the New York senator a spot on his ticket. That number is significantly influenced by Clinton's supporters - close to 75 percent of her backers want the No. 2 spot to be offered, while only 43 percent of Obama supporters feel the same.

The poll comes as some of Clinton's highest profile backers increasingly suggest Obama and Clinton should team up for the general election. Speaking in New York Friday, Sen. Chuck Schumer said he at first didn't think such a team was possible but now believes "it could be."

"Hillary and Barack have both run very strong and great races, and I think they'd be a strong ticket together," he said.

Rep. Charlie Rangel, who also backs Clinton, also put his support behind a joint ticket Monday. Speaking on CNN, the New York congressman said such a scenario would be "terrific," adding "I hope it works out that way."

1. LT for Obama

Too much baggage. If she had been a little more civil during this process I would be all for it but too much has happened and she brings to the table far too much political baggage.

Also, because she said that she would do whatever it takes to win, many are seeing her in the VP position as one who would work to undermine the President so that she can run and win in 2012.

Now, if she can convince the country that her baggage is not a crutch and that she will give 200% support to the President, then and only then would I consider her a viable VP candidate.

May 13, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  2. Dennis F

If Hillary does not win the nomination (which is very probable), I hope that she is selected as Obama's VP running mate.

I will probably vote for McCain if this does not happen because I still have serious concerns about Obama's inexperience. I honestly think that he would have major problems in getting support from Hillary's voter support base (myself included).

May 13, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  3. Independent in Florida

I believe, Hillary wants to be on the ticket cause she does not want to go back to the Senate. And because she needs to pay off $20+ mil. And, most of all, because she wants to keep the Clintons legacy going!

Unfortunately, Hillary and Barack do not compliment each other.

Barack needs someone with strong military credentials.

May 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  4. Scott Hughes ATL

Man! It's like the MOB really needs her to be in the White House, huh???

May 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  5. Crazy McCain

I am really concerned about HIllary supporters who will vote for McCain if Obama wins the nomination.
    McCain's stance on just about EVERYTHING is different than where Hillary stands, while Obama's platform is almost identical to Hillary's.

I'm not an Obama-maniac, nor do I hate Hillary (I rather like her alot-always have.), but it's disturbing that folks are willing to let the nation continue on its path of destroying itself by voting for McCain-just because they are angry.
    Look, it's very clear Barack is HARDLY a perfect candidate and he has a lot of things to learn- BUT are we so desperate to see Hillary succeed that we don't care what happens to the country? Please look at the BIG Picture. Truly- I want to see Hillary as president, but folks out there are going too far on the deep end with wanting to punish America and getting revenge if she doesn't get the nomination.

May 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  6. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

i still am not sold on the idea of Hillary being on the ticket. Aside from the animosity this campaign has generated between the different camps, what does Hillary really bring to the table? I actually like the ideal of Hagel more than Clinton.

May 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  7. Mat

I think that would be the worst thing for the party and for Obamas election bid!

She runs her campaign completley different, she uses negative attacks and is very old school washington! Having Hillary as VP goes against everything Obama has been talking about!

However I can see why CNN are running this story! What will you write about when she's out of the race?

May 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. From PA

I don't want Hillary as Vice... but

Gore would be nice.

May 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  9. The Dude

While I'm not a personal fan of the "Dream Ticket", I do think it would guarantee a landslide victory in November. Personally, I'd like to see Senator Obama offer VP to a Republican or Independent. However, I would stand by an Obama/Clinton ticket 100 percent.

Take back America '08!

May 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  10. Chris

Sorry slight majority. If people want Democrat to win in November, Hillary should stay home or move to Canada. The Clinton have more dirt, scandals, and fraudulent activity than any other president. Let's not forget that Clintons are supposed to show up in court in November. Republicans will dig all the stuff up and throw at her. Republicans even have a movie on the Clintons.

No Obama..please do not choose her as the VP. Choosing her as a VP will be like choosing Bill and Hillary together. They will ruin the White House. Let this race run its course.

May 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  11. Michael Blackburn

Not. Gonna. Happen.

May 13, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  12. Linda

Having Clinton as VP to Obama will be like having a newborn be parent to an adult. But anyway, I'll take Senator Clinton. She has been lambasted throughout this campaign and the sexism she's encountered far outweighs the racism I would have thought that Obama would have encountered. She deserves something for her ground-breaking efforts!

May 13, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  13. Ivar

i for one vote obama if he has this sorry excuse as a runniug mate

May 13, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  14. Mary E

Senator Chuck Hegel is the brilliant choice. No-strife bi-partisan ticket foretelling bi-partisanship in D.C. Viet Nam vet; anti-Iraq war; pro life; could make everyone happy and is characteristic of Barack's ideas for the nation. Mary

May 13, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  15. richard

she ran courageously against odds but always with racial whispers now is the time to heal the party and country. let her suggest a vp candidate like wsley clark etc and pursue an honourable senate career. both of them on the same ticket is not a good idea. what if she and bill undermine his presidency. think about that.

May 13, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  16. Joyce in Florida

I might accept this if and only if the situation was reversed. Hillary as President. I hope it won't come to this because I hope and pray that Senator Clinton will be the nominee and all of this can finally move forward. HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT, NOT V.P. GO HILLARY 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  17. Debby

The Dems. are getting scared now that Obama can't close the deal in Nov. without Hillary this is to funny hahaha.

May 13, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  18. don from canada

No way Clinton should be V.P.

May 13, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  19. john

Will somebody, anyone, everybody tell the CLINTONS to take their circus and worn out clowns and just disappear, PLEASE !!!!!

May 13, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  20. Rob

It should be the other way around. Clinton Obama ticket.

Obama cannot beat Mccain in November because the RESKO
    SCANDAL will by then a BIG ISSUE. When Obama said it is a Boneheaded Move, it only means that he really received money from rackeeter Resko.

May 13, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  21. Tom in Desoto, Tx

I can see it now with Hillary being V.P. She and Bill will be having newsconferences usurping the President at every opportunity. The best thing President Obama could do is to send them to Bosnia, after the Boznian's receive sniper training.

In short, having Hillary (and yes, Bill) as V.P. is a two headed viper.

May 13, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  22. C.Kelly

Hillary for president!!!!!

Don't let the media drag you down.
    Its the people who want you. Let them be heard today !!!

May 13, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  23. Berat (Pronounced buh-RAHT), Park Ridge, IL

Oh yeah? Well a majority of Republicans said seven months ago that Rudy Giuliani would make a great nominee for their party, so...

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  24. Tim Spence

I am a Hillary supporter. If Obama does get the nomination, I definitely want Hillary on the ticket. I think they would be unbeatable.

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  25. Jeanne

I don't think this is an ideal ticket for Obama and should be allowed the luxury of choosing his own VP. As I've said in other posts, there are plenty of talented Democrats out there that would be more suitable for Obama. A woman would be great but anyone that can balance the ticket would be good. I personally wouldn't want to see either Clinton as the VP choice.

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |