May 13th, 2008

Majority of Dems want Clinton to be V.P.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/13/art.clintonvp.gi.jpg caption="A majority of Democrats want Clinton to be vice president."]
(CNN) - Even as the prolonged Democratic presidential race has become more divisive in its final stretch, a majority of Democrats want Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new poll out Tuesday.

A new Gallup poll shows 55 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents surveyed think Obama should offer the New York senator a spot on his ticket. That number is significantly influenced by Clinton's supporters - close to 75 percent of her backers want the No. 2 spot to be offered, while only 43 percent of Obama supporters feel the same.

The poll comes as some of Clinton's highest profile backers increasingly suggest Obama and Clinton should team up for the general election. Speaking in New York Friday, Sen. Chuck Schumer said he at first didn't think such a team was possible but now believes "it could be."

"Hillary and Barack have both run very strong and great races, and I think they'd be a strong ticket together," he said.

Rep. Charlie Rangel, who also backs Clinton, also put his support behind a joint ticket Monday. Speaking on CNN, the New York congressman said such a scenario would be "terrific," adding "I hope it works out that way."

1. Simon W. Potentloins

The teaming of Obama and Hillary makes sense, regardless of whether they get along. Both have fought difficult and groundbreaking campaigns.

You better believe these two are talking privately about how to make it work.

Such a teaming would be very difficult to defeat in November. The GOP would need someone a whole lot better than McCain to do it!

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  2. Good Grief

The candidate has the right to choose his own runningmate, based on a variety of factors. To be foisting a preselected person for the VP upon him would be to hamstring him in the general, as well as during his administration. This may be enticing fantasy to engage in, but it is counter-productive in reality.

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  3. Robb, New York

Let's get real– Obama/Clinton is not going to happen, and it shouldn't happen. Two presidents (Bush and Cheney) didn't work, and three presidents (Obama, Hillary and Bill) certainly will fail. For the love of God, people, let it go. Obama's the nominee– let him pick HIS candidate. Jim Webb, Tim Kaine, Kathleen Seibilus, Janet Napolitano, Wesley Clark, even Mike Bloomberg would be a better fit than Hillary.

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  4. Travis in Canada

If she does get on the ticket....hide all the knives.

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  5. Jim

If this liar, this hypocrite, this...this...CLINTON...is part of that ticket, I, and all the other "swing" vote republicans who would vote for Obama in a heartbeat WILL vote for McCain, and the Dem's chance of gaining the WH will wither and rot...

A vote for Hillary is a guaranteed win for the Republicans...

I dare you CNN, I double dare you to print this

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  6. Del

If Sen. Obama is forced to have to take hillary as his VP he will lose all the trust and support he has gained. When most of Americans know she is not to be trusted and is not trustworthy how could the world leaders ever trust her in any leadership role? She would be dead weight for him. And she would set out to sabotage his first four years as President for her self in 2012. If some are not smart enough to understand that then I guess He deserves what he gets. Never forget there is nothing straight forward and honest when it comes to any clinton.

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  7. Justin Russell

...which means we'll have three consecutive terms of the Vice President being more qualified than the President to run the country.

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  8. Ex-Democrat now Independent

I personally don't want her to be on the ticket. Let McCain take the office in November so Hillary can take him out in '12.

This party has done Ms. Clinton a major disgrace and I cannot forgive those that abandoned her.

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  9. Chris

Never in a million years should Obama choose Hellary. Every decision he makes will be attributed to her and he would become exactly what Maureen Dowd describes in her May 11 column in the New York Times column "Is She a Trojan Rabbit"

" Obama will never be at his best around Hillary; she drains him of his magical powers. She’s Jane Jinx to him. It’s a similar syndrome to the one Katharine Hepburn’s star athlete and her supercilious fiancé have in “Pat and Mike.”

The fiancé is always belittling Hepburn, so whenever he’s in the stands, her tennis and golf go kerflooey. Finally, her manager, played by Spencer Tracy, asks the fiancé to stay away from big matches, explaining, “You are the wrong jockey for this chick.”

“You know, except when you’re around, we got a very valuable piece of property here,” he says, later adding, “When you’re around, she’s no good, she’s dead, see?”

The best way Obama can punish Hillary is to reward himself. He’s no good around her, see? "

No Obama. choose Bloomberg, Wesley Clark, never Hellary.

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  10. Greg, Detroit MI

I honestly think this would be a good idea. I know about Obama's idea of change, and I like that, but you can't have change without everyone on board. Hillary as the VP would heal the democratic party quickly. Though, Obama would have to carry the baggage of the Clinton's while he was in office. On the flip side, he might not be able to win otherwise.

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  11. INDEPENDENT NOW

I dont! I think Obama should drop out and be Vp. Mrs. Clinton has the credentials to back up being presiden. Obama is running on hope. I hope I hit the Lotto tonight. But I am realistic. If Mrs. Clinton does not get the nomination, I am hoping that she will run as an independent. Because choice is good! And with Nader, and Bar running along side of B.O and McCain I know Hilary will win! And then all her critics can never say she didnt win Fair and Square. Because B>O> has baggage and I think there will be buyers remorse sooner than later. But I dont think any of it is comming out until hes the nominee.

May 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  12. Marshall

CNN – Please Post or do you want a divided party?

People...I am guilty of bashing. Yes, I can admit it. But we all are. It is time to stop blaming each other. Both sides did it. It wasn't just the Obama supporter or just the Clinton supporters. IT WAS BOTH SIDES.

We need to get past the he said, she said playground justice and focus on the real issue...KEEPING MCCAIN out of the White House.

As I said before, I am guilty. I bashed on both sides. I started supporting one candidate and later changed sides. Who I support doesn't matter because their stand on the issues is almost identical.

Rush wants us to continue to bash and to keep us weak because he knows we could get anyone elected if we stood together. He fears US...A UNITED DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

So let's leave the name calling and finger pointing to the children on the playgrounds and act like adults. Once again, me included.

Let's end the negative and focus on the challenge...Beating McCain.

This is my pledge. Who stands with me?

13. Tony

I "blive" too, Chucky.

14. Edwin Portland

Not this democrat, and not any that I've personally spoken to.

15. Kel in Auburn, AL

Obama would need a food taster if Hillary and Bill are in the white-house with him. I just can't see them not trying to sabotage and undermine every effort Obama puts forth as president.

16. Peg

Sorry the Clinton's already had their term(s) in the whitehouse.

17. Debbie,NJ

Actually the majority of democrats want Obama to be President. Votes count not polls. Most delegates, most states won, most popular vote. So how did you get the notion most people want Hillary?

18. Kim

Thank God Obama will never be President. That's just scary. He's clueless with too many shady connections.

I just can't imagine Hillary being under a nobody like him. It's like you changing places with your boss! Give me a break.

Hillary....GO INDEPENDENT if the DNC continues to push you away!

19. Sarah

I think not Jane L. The proof is in the NUMBERS

20. who cares

HELL TO THE EFFING NO!!

21. Rus in St. Paul, MN

It would be a bad fit for Obama, and it wouldn't change his entire campaign of bringing change to Washington. You can't bring change when you bring along one of the largest political machines in recent history.

It would be a really bad match.

22. MI White Catholic Woman 4 Barack

What Dems are being counted? I don't want Hillary anywhere around at all!

I don't want her as the nominee and I don't want her as a VP. Hillary has done nothing but trash Obama and brought down the Democratic Party all for her personal objectives.

Voting for Hillary simply because she's a woman is completely stupid! I am a woman and sure I'd like to see a woman president but she's not the best choice for comander in chief – Barack is!

Hillary's racist divide should not be rewarded by any means!

BARACK OBAMA 08!

23. zzjagp

Oh Hill NO Thanks!

24. MovingOn

Jane L.

If the majority of Democrats wanted her to be President, wouldn't she be winning? It's time to let it go.

25. Elisabeth

If possible Hillary Clinton should run as an independent!

May 13, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |