May 13th, 2008

Majority of Dems want Clinton to be V.P.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/13/art.clintonvp.gi.jpg caption="A majority of Democrats want Clinton to be vice president."]
(CNN) - Even as the prolonged Democratic presidential race has become more divisive in its final stretch, a majority of Democrats want Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new poll out Tuesday.

A new Gallup poll shows 55 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents surveyed think Obama should offer the New York senator a spot on his ticket. That number is significantly influenced by Clinton's supporters - close to 75 percent of her backers want the No. 2 spot to be offered, while only 43 percent of Obama supporters feel the same.

The poll comes as some of Clinton's highest profile backers increasingly suggest Obama and Clinton should team up for the general election. Speaking in New York Friday, Sen. Chuck Schumer said he at first didn't think such a team was possible but now believes "it could be."

"Hillary and Barack have both run very strong and great races, and I think they'd be a strong ticket together," he said.

Rep. Charlie Rangel, who also backs Clinton, also put his support behind a joint ticket Monday. Speaking on CNN, the New York congressman said such a scenario would be "terrific," adding "I hope it works out that way."

1. No Way

Jane L.......If the majority of democrats wanted her to be president why did she lose the nomination. You had better take a math lesson. And why would anyone choose someone who has said he is not ready to be president.....I am the best choice....Hillary has killed any chance by her being so arrogant and stupid....

May 13, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  2. Republican for Obama

I don't get why after all the nasty things she said about him he would consider it. Also if she was offered and accepted that would be a mighty big crow pie she would have to eat after the comments.

I'm not a big fan of McCain and I think Obama would better serve our country as statesman but all you Clinton supporters baffle me. You are acting so childish and mature claiming to write her in or vote McCain. Remember these 3 things:

1. Her policy stances are identical to Obama, and don't issue mean anything to you, or do you vote on superficial characteristics.

2. If 50% of Democrats defect the party to make sure Obama loses and hope Clinton runs again in 4 years, what do you think the 50% of Obama supporters are going to do in 4 years when she runs?

3. The Republican machine has you eating out of there hands and you are foolish enough to believe it is Obama causing this.

Lastly for every nasty/taunting Obama supporter comment on here I can quote the same from a Clinton supporter, so everyone needs to grow up and show a little maturity! Remember the President only proposes ideas, Congress must enact them.

May 13, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  3. Steven Barone

Count me out as wanting Hillary and Bill on the ticket. They are everything Barack is not. Obama is trying to change politics and he can't do it with the King and Queen of destructive politics on the same ticket. I used to like and respect the Clinton's but not anymore. They showed their true colors during the past few months. Barack would need a food taster if she was his VP.

May 13, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  4. Jordan, NY

Of course that would be a tremendous ticket for democrats. We were lucky enough during this election to choose from a number of tremendous candidates (even above the two that still remain). Putting both Clinton and Obama on a ticket would bring democrats out in droves.

Unfortunately, I wonder if it would weaken the political strength of the ticket. I believe that disappointed Clinton supporters ultimately will be unwilling to vote for McCain and his (possibly) two conservative supreme court appointments. Our goal as democrats will be to lure independents and conservatives who overwhelmingly (and often unfairly) dislike Mrs. Clinton.

With so many tremendous choices for VP, I think Senator Obama will ultimately offer the position to Sen. Clinton out of respect. She will turn it down for the good of the party, and we'll have a strong ticket in November to trounce John McCain.

May 13, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. Zach

Please no.

May 13, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  6. Yolanda/S.A. Texas

I think this would be the best decision Obama could make in uniting the democratic party.

Both bring a vase amount of experience, sincere will to serve the people and I believe overall they both due truly respect eachother dispite certain events that have taken place throughout the campaign.

It would not be the first (JFK) or last time a decision like this will benefit the party as a whole.

Both have come so far, let's do it for the party people!

May 13, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  7. CAROL FROM NC

this reminds me of the song by johnny rivers called "the snake" check out the lyrics.

May 13, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  8. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

ConsDemo:

Actually, that might work. After all, she was co-president when her husband was in office.

I'd like to see her back in the White House for one reason: I'm curious who she'll pick as an intern! 🙂

May 13, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  9. Debbie,NJ

Obama has the right to pick whomever he want to be on the ticket.
    Having Hillary and Bill on the ticket would ruin this country. Obama can pull voters that Hillary can't , young, new , independent and republican voters. THe news media isn' t telling you this. This is how he has most delegates, most states won and popular vote. The media has try to sell us on the idea that people aren't or won't vote for Obama. Then how did he get in the lead, in every thing. Race and gender didn't do it.

May 13, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  10. Concerned

In the beginning Hillary and Barack would have been a good ticket. However, Hillary ran such a nasty campaign like the Republicans against Barack. This would not be a good ticket. She tried everything to discredit Barack and throw him to the wolves (Republicans).

Sorry

May 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  11. Linda Esen

No, No , No!!!! OBAMA/HAGEL 08 ..... PERIOD !!!!!
    Hillary will bring all her dirt and smoot to the Obama – and changes the keys to the Oval office each chance she gets !!!

May 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  12. Dean - Colton, CA

Jane L. That is a humorous comment, considering the fact that Obama has the popular vote lead, even with MI and FL counted as they are.

May 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  13. Elle

Hillary and Bill are not accustomed to driving from the back seat. I think it would require great discipline and humility on both of their parts to play a supporting role to Obama or anyone else who held the coveted number one spot. They have both proven over the course of this campaign that neither of them have the discipline to refrain from using divisive tactics that may hurt the overall goals of their party. Humility just isn't in their vocabulary. The bottom line is: "They think that they can do it better and will undermine Obama at every opportunity.". Another word of warning, be wary of Bob Barr. He is entering the race as a surrogate to sling the get-down-dirty mud that John McCain has vowed not to do. After all, V.P. Romney can't do it all. The other side has lots of tricks...

May 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  14. Karen from Charlottesville

Why would he drag along a woman who will have to be spending a whole lot of time testifying as a material witness in her husband's trial after the election?

May 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  15. Ludovic

Barack have to choose between his wife michele and Hillary Clinton, because it seems that the white house is not big enough for those 2 ladies

May 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  16. MD

The biggest disaster since George Bush would be Hillary as V.P.

I will seriously doubt Obama's sanity, if he folds under pressure, and picks her.

May 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  17. Phil From VA

No VP slot. Obama wants to move away from the old Wahsington Politics then leave her out. Bring a fresh face like Wesley Clark or someone with deep foreign policy experience. Let's go. Take over the White house.

May 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  18. Tom in Desoto, Tx

If so many democrats want Hillary as VP, since she cannot have the top spot, they should contribute to her campaign to help with her debt. That would be support as well. Her current debt would sink the Titanic, if it wasn't already at the bottom of the ocean.

May 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  19. toni

Mrs. Clinton should not accept the vp position (if asked to) Obama has unclaimed baggage. Once there is buyers remorse she should run as and independent and she will win. Lets have a REAL choice this election. Independent, rep, dem, Lib and green!!! Then when she wins NO ONE can say she didnt win it FAIR AND SQUARE!!!!

May 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  20. NEVER!!

I will never vote for Obama with Clinton on the ticket. He would lose so many of his own supporters if he did that crap.

May 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  21. Elle

Hillary and Bill are not accustomed to driving from the back seat. I think it would require great discipline and humility on both of their parts to play a supporting role to Obama or anyone else who held the coveted number one spot. They have both proven over the course of this campaign that neither of them have the discipline to refrain from using divisive tactics that may hurt the overall goals of their party. Humility just isn't in their vocabulary. The bottom line is: "They think that they can do it better and will undermine Obama at every opportunity.". Another word of warning, be wary of Bob Barr. He is entering the race as a surrogate to sling the get-down-dirty mud that John McCain has vowed not to do. After all, V.P. candidate Romney can't do it all. The other side has lots of tricks...

May 13, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  22. Carrie Goodeagle Hayden, Idaho

Great, yes she should be the VP.

May 13, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  23. mama4obama

After the way Hillary treated Obama so badly during this election season? Obama is a good man... most likely better than me because the answer would be no way for me.

May 13, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  24. Maxine

Hillary would not settle for VP, it would show her as a weak woman, taking second best. I don't want her as VP, Hell I don't want her as Pres. She is too strong of a person to except second......this race isn't about the country it is about her status and President was it.... I want Obama to pick a woman, but someone else, I believe the governor Kathleen S. would be good, she has been on board from the beginning and she ran a good election in her state.

This is such a bad idea, and notice it is only the Clinton sd that want this...have thier cake and eat it too. She is too old school and Obama is trying to change the way things are being ran....I just don't think it would work.....

May 13, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  25. Clowny

I prefer AL Gore or John Edwards to be on the ticket with Obama. I think Obama need a non confrontational partner. I don't think it would work with Hillary. I think Obama, Gore, and Edwards have views that United States needed since the voodoo economics. It's been down hill ever since. One thing the american public is not thinking about is, if Hillary was elected, how would the middle east work with her. For one, our relationship is already suffering over there. We all know how the middle eastern countries views are toward women. I'm a female. I don't think the is a good thing right now for our country. Sure, we have women issues, but not enough. My concerns are being employed with keeping my job in this country, gas, environment, and my healthcare. I considered myself a blue collar worker. I TOTALLY DISAGREE with the bull that Hillary is getting all the votes for blue collar workers. I think she is getting more so the prejudice votes. Don't get me wrong, I love Hillary. Why can't we just get alone?

May 13, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |