May 13th, 2008

Majority of Dems want Clinton to be V.P.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/13/art.clintonvp.gi.jpg caption="A majority of Democrats want Clinton to be vice president."]
(CNN) - Even as the prolonged Democratic presidential race has become more divisive in its final stretch, a majority of Democrats want Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new poll out Tuesday.

A new Gallup poll shows 55 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents surveyed think Obama should offer the New York senator a spot on his ticket. That number is significantly influenced by Clinton's supporters - close to 75 percent of her backers want the No. 2 spot to be offered, while only 43 percent of Obama supporters feel the same.

The poll comes as some of Clinton's highest profile backers increasingly suggest Obama and Clinton should team up for the general election. Speaking in New York Friday, Sen. Chuck Schumer said he at first didn't think such a team was possible but now believes "it could be."

"Hillary and Barack have both run very strong and great races, and I think they'd be a strong ticket together," he said.

Rep. Charlie Rangel, who also backs Clinton, also put his support behind a joint ticket Monday. Speaking on CNN, the New York congressman said such a scenario would be "terrific," adding "I hope it works out that way."

1. Douglas -- Rochester, MN

Definitely not!!! I'm not a Hillary hater/basher; but she has shown too much dishonesty. We need political leaders we can have faith-in and can depend-upon. She has demonstrated an "it's all about me" attitude, and she continues to be too divisive. I believe her (and hubby Bill's) machinations (as will cause too much intrigue and turmoil to effectively lend support to Senator Obama's efforts to effect much needed change in our country. And I don't think it is right to prolong her nomination dreams, in the hope of extracting the consolation prize of VP.

May 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  2. Geo from Toronto

No way in hell should Hillary be his VP, she is too good for him.
    umm ya ummm hmmm, ahhhh ummmm,, obama's exact words. The guy cant even speak properly.

May 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  3. Dave

Not in a million years!!!!! Hillary would put a hit out on Barack because she is ENTITLED to be president. The Clintons are so dishonest I wouldn't trust them for a second! They would do everything they could to undermine his presidency... In fact, as much as I like Barack, I might have be like the Clinton supporters who say, "I will just vote for McSame"!

May 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  4. Caroline

Yuck!! I can think of about twenty people I'd rather see as VP with Obama.

May 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  5. Darth Vadik, CA

After what she has done, I don't want her in my party any more.

May 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  6. Tina

I would be so disappointed if Obama chose her for political expediency. He and Michelle would have to spend every waking (and sleeping) hour to keep Billary from sticking knives in his back.

May 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  7. elm, Georgia

NO!!!! She cannot be trusted.

May 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  8. Steve

I thought the Pres and the V P were people with integrity, honesty, good moral character and trustworthy. I would agree that so far Obama seems that way, but why folks forget all the questional stuff Hillary has pulled, is beyond me why anyone would vote for such a self centered dishonest person.

May 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  9. Saffoula

As a Democrat, I believe Hillary as VP is wrong for SO many reasons. Not the least of which is that Obama does not need to be fighting off attacks against his VP during the general election campaign. Obama declined to go negative against Clinton. The Republicans have all of the negative ammo ready to fire at Clinton and her alleged lack of trustworthiness, e.g., Whitewater, Travelgate, Rose Law Firm, Vince Foster, and more recently the Sniper Fire incident.

Cllinton is an entrenched part of the Washington establishment that Obama has so diligently worked to distinguish himself from. Hillary's gamesmenship has been aptly demonstrated by her constant atttempt to change the primary election rules, including reversing herself on MI and FL, and by her support of measures such as the gas tax holiday. Choosing Clinton as VP fundamentally contradicts Obama's core philosophy. Clinton continues to have an important role to fill within the party, but VP is not it!

May 13, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  10. mick

As an Independent voter reading these posts, I am amazed at the bitterness within the Democratic Party. Why don't you all (most of you) rise above the negative comments and post in a positive way that better reflects on your nominee, your party and OUR country.

All in all, the nominees are worthy choices and command respect.

Write your comment as if you were your chosen nominee. Dig a little deeper. You all can do it. We will then benefit from productive positive dialog not one-way diatribe.

May 13, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  11. Joe Regis

She is hanging there for only that reason now.

I am still a bit apprehensive about it.

Too power angry the Clintons.

May 13, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  12. G.L.

People are nuts. I think we have a big problem about ethic in government in the last 3 decades. The Clintons are some of the prime examples. If we want real change the way we operate our government, we will need to bury the Clintons for good.

May 13, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  13. The truth

Hillary is not trust worthy now,or never. She's broke and money hungury so you can bet she won't be saving American's any money for the future.

GO OBAMA!!!

May 13, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  14. Anthony Stewart

Any Dem that would support a republican because THEIR dem didn't get the nomination is no real Dem at all!

Fairweather Dems! Maybe this is how Bush won his second term and how it seems he'll win his third!

15. Whiskey

“Why do Clinton supporters feel so ENTITLED?”

16. EXPERIENCE FOR TEXANS

He better do something like that because he will not beat McCain.

17. Jed in Texas

Well we do have a V.P running the country now.

18. Buffalo Bill

No matter who's on the ticket with Barry Obama. I am one of millions of Americans who have been proud of our county my whole life and will never vote for him!

NOBAMA not now not ever!

19. No More Years, Lake Forest CA

As an Obama supporter, I actually wouldn't mind Clinton as the V.P., despite the animosity during this campaign. I have said all along that I think she'd be a good president, and that has to be the first qualification for a V.P. Were she to win the nomination, I would support her. I'm not going to be in the ranks of Democrats who holds grudges because the general election is too important for that.

The tough part about this is that his central argument is that he wants to change DC by not inviting the same players back to the table, and she and President Clinton have been in that scene for almost 20 years. I don't know if there's a way for him to justify it. Also, she'd have to really go back on a lot of the things she's claimed about Obama in the primaries, and that might not be easy to pull off.

Can she be the VP? Sure. Should she be the VP? That's a tougher question.

20. m.smith

Let us not overlook that a large number of those voting want to see Hillary become President. This cannot be denied. What I am sick of is the media spinning the truth. Let the thing play out. This political process cannot deny so many voters. This CITIZENS of this country are speaking up. To deny Hillary a place would be detrimental. Obama's CHANGE is a good idea, but what IS that change? Does anyone really know? Dems need BOTH candidates in order to guarantee a win in NOVEMBER.

21. Kyle

Missy-If Obama asks Richardson to be his VP, he will lose even more Clinton voters. Besides Richardson's a flake. He comes out and says the the superdelegates should go the way of their constinuents and then turns and around and backs Obama, even though Clinton won his state. His excuse: oh it was close. So he believes every vote doesn't count. How democratic of him.

22. johnd

It would be difficult to blend that team well. How can you have a change candidate whose VP is same old (lie, mislead and dissemble whenever it suits her)? Obama needs an experienced running mate who knows the economy. That certainly isn't Hillary. Among the democratic contenders, she had by far the least experience excepting Obama. The only reason she did well is women voters and her brand name. Funny that democrats don't realize the only achievement Bill Clinton had was to fix welfare (no permanent dole anymore). The economy doing well and the deficit reduction during his term was all from Bush Sr's tax increases. Hillary sure married well. Other than that, she's just an nearly empty suit holding a mean old bat.

23. jeff - Dallas

Obama's campaign will lose all credibility if he chooses Clinton for VP. They won't stand a chance against McCain. Obama has lots of other choices that will strengthen his ticket and do not have the political and personal baggage of HRC.

50 year old college educated white Texan for Obama.

24. Anonymous

Can we put a moritorium on the phrase "close the deal"? Stop parroting talking points.

And for the last time, the deal is closed. Clinton cannot win. Why couldn't she put Obama away after Super Tuesday? She had been the presumptive nominee since Kerry lost in '04. She had 20 years of name recongition, and more political favors stored up than anyone could use in a lifetime. And yet, a little-known Afr.-Am. senator with a funny name fought off the Clinton machine, racism, and the conventional wisdom to become the nominee for president based on a platform of hope and optimism. I wish we had such a candidate in every election.

25. Carol

no, no, no, NO NO!!

Go away Hillary – we don't want to have to see your face or hear your voice ever again. The only ones that want her as VP are her supporters b/c they expect that she will take over.

I am an Obama supporter but If he picks her, I will be convinced that he is weak. If he can't stand up to this pushy (w)itch, how is he going to stand up to Putin, Ahmadinejahd or Kim Jong Il?

Hillary, please, think of something besides yourself ,for once........ take the high road, for once.... GO AWAY!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11