May 13th, 2008

McAuliffe says Clinton staying in, will win popular vote

McAuliffe said Clinton is in the race through June 3.

McAuliffe said Clinton is in the race through June 3.

(CNN) - Despite calls from some for Hillary Clinton to abandon her presidential bid, her campaign chairman insisted Monday she will stay in the race until the last primary and predicted the New York Democrat will overtake Barack Obama in the popular vote.

“We are going through to June 3," Clinton Campaign Chairman Terry McAuliffe said on MSNBC Monday. "I can unequivocally tell you we are in until June 3.”

“We will move ahead in the popular vote. There are 1.1 million Democrats in West Virginia, there are 1.6 million in Kentucky, 2.4 million in Puerto Rico. We win by these huge margins, have good turnout there, we will pick up a significant amount of the popular vote."

Polls show Clinton will likely score big wins in the next two primary states, West Virginia and Kentucky, though it remains virtually impossible for the New York senator to catch Obama in the pledged delegate count. She lost her lead among the party’s superdelegates on Monday.

Montana and South Dakota hold the last two primary contests on June 3.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts
  1. DLF

To WISER NOW,

If the Dems choose Obama then I want Hillary to run as an independent.

There is absolutely no way I would ever vote for Obama!

So it is either Hillary as the Dem nominee, Hillary as an independent or McCain.

Staying home might be a win for Obama and we all know how dangerous that would be!!!

May 12, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  2. Texican

Hey Tejano you sure know your history. JFK did win at the convention and he did not have the delegates going into the Convention. Does History repeat itself. Hillary is a fighter and we need her in the Whitehouse. Not Obama the surrender candidate.

May 12, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  3. Gregory L. Green

Guess what Terry, She's leading by 98 percent in the state of, of, of, of O yeah, " The State of Denial ".

May 12, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  4. K.L. Sullivan

I can not believe all you stupid women who are buying into the good ole boys senario that Hillary is evil, power hungry, pond scum and that no "good little girls" will support her. Only those nasty lesbian types.

They did a good job and now the most qualified person running in either party has been pushed out. I hope all you "good little girls" are quite happy with yourselves.

May 12, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  5. pat

if the popular vote goes to witch ever obama or clinton then the people have spoken this should not be settled by so called super del. these delagates are only in it for what they can receive after the election the canidates make promises to then an that is unconstitunal. a vote is a vote an it should be upheld by the DNC. THESE UNKNOWNS SUPERDEL. should not have that power. are election should be like the republican partys WINNER TAKE ALL. its so much easier.

May 12, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  6. Karen

Having heard Cohen's comment that compares Clinton to Glen Close in "Fatal Attraction," I like Anderson Cooper's comment even better:

She campaigns like there is NO TOMORROW.

May 12, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  7. Mike in FXBG

Why does anyone expect Hillary to drop out of the nomination process? Her and Bill running for office (HillBilly) is about her, not about what is best for the nation. Hillary's position is, 'if I can't have it, nobody will, and I'll destroy the party before I'll give it up.' However, the disturbing fact of about the entire Democratic ( de 'mock' racy in action) is the only difference between Obama (O bomb A? a la Bill Ayers) and Hillary, is that one is male the other female. An Obama/Clinton ticket; the nation should recoil in revulsion at the thought of it. Images of Rasputin flood my brain.

May 12, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  8. Sebastian (Houston the space City)

I think Hillary is the best option for the Democratic Party and I am glad that she still fighting for the nomination. Hillary has two pros that I don't see in Obama:
    1- Latino vote-. If we make some memory, the latino swing vote is the one that has decided lately the outcome of the elections (see Florida). Hillary has shown in the past primaries that she counts with the latino vote ( California, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida, Texas, Nevada, New York).
    2- Obama supporters need to see also the big picture here, Obama is going to have a tough time as a president and having bills approved because he has criticized the political establishment in Washington since the campaign started. I don't know seriously how he is going to convince and attract votes with the Congress and Senate after criticizing always Washington.How? with the so called lobbys he always criticized?. come on!
    Therefore, WV, Kentucky, South Dakota and Puerto Rico make yourself count!!! go out and vote!! this is not over yet. A good outcome will make the remainning superdelegates think about the whole picture.

May 12, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. Brandon

Typical nonsensical responses from Obama's young and uninformed supporters who have no concept of who Terry McAuliffe is and how hard he has worked for the democratic party. You dismiss and lampoon a man that has been one of the hardest working members for the democrats....all the while hiding behind the guise of "change". Except you have no idea what change is... you can't point to one piece of significant anything that obama has done to change anything in his political career. and you gloss over all the achievements of the clintons and people like terry mcauliffe who have actually brought change to this country.

May 12, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  10. JJ

You Hillary supporters are pathetic...go home, it's over, she lost, shes a hack, and so are all of you. Go ahead, vote for McCain, you have no one to blame but yourselves when this country goes further down the crapper by doing that. idiots.

May 12, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  11. bakersfield

fight on hillary

May 12, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  12. mama coo

Why are Obama supporters so eager to have Senator Clinton drop out of the race? What are they afraid? Since he has the primaries pretty much won, so all you fans say, what difference does it make if Senator Clinton stays in the race? I also find it interesting that Obama and his fans are so eager to disenfranchise so many people and states. Does that mean he is going to be just like Bush and only deal with people who are so totally for him and ignore those who aren't ? I'm beginning to see some very similar characteristics to Bush here.

May 12, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  13. DLF

To WISER NOW,

If the Dems choose Obama then I want Hillary to run as an independent.

There is absolutely no way I would ever vote for Obama!

So it is either Hillary as the Dem nominee or Hillary as an independent or McCain.

Staying home might be a win for Obama and we all know how dangerous that could be!!!

May 12, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  14. Shannon

David in CA, you are dreaming if you think democrats will unite, I and possibly millions like me will never vote for Obama. His supporters are the most hate filled people I have ever seen. Read the fatal attraction post her, read post about PA, OH and WV. Read what Obama supporters say about people who supported Hillary. His campaign thinks that it can insult millions of people, call them and their candidate horrible names, and we will come together....dream on, anyone but Obama is what I am hearing, and I will do everything I can to make sure that happens. I show people the hate filled posts of Obama supporters, and I ask them is this the kind of hope and change they want.

May 12, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  15. Barbara-California

This is just the latest in a series of things her campaign people keep doing to stay in the race and make it look like it is a legimate thing....the race is over, Hillary will never admit it, even after the January 2009 inaugration, she will still be campaigning for the nomination for the Democratic side.

She is delusional.......poor lady, she is a "has been" and needs to go home to Arkansas and try once again to become an honest lawyer....well, I know that is a hard task, but if any attorney can achieve it.....she can....and she needs to start there,.....

.......there is a saying "Cowboy up".....that means get straight, get in the saddle, and ride the horse or bronc....and that is what she needs to do if she ever thinks she can run for President again, she should start by being honest about everything in her life, she would be amazed how forgiving the people are and would be, if she would just try to be a normal person for a change.

Really Hillary, Cowboy UP!!

May 12, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  16. Jenny

GO HILLARY FOR THE INDEPENDENT TICKET IN '08!

I want to be able to vote for you again and again and again.

May 12, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  17. Ind. Voter

I'm telling you guys – It's not over yet!

Wait........................

– something will come out about Obama's back closet?

more to come promised!!!

May 12, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  18. Lori

I live in NYS and Hillary as done NOTHING for me/us. She campaigns about "jobs, jobs, jobs" Yet, they company my husband worked for for 30 years will be permanently closing in July. Eastman Kodak in Rochester, keeps downsizing...
    Our taxes have gone up, fees on everything have gone up, including adding fees to things we never had to pay for. I can't understand why the blue collar workers support her, they will end up losing their jobs and have to pay more for everything...the tax holiday is a JOKE...the government will NOT cut back on THEIR spending to pay for this, it would be added to us, so it's a joke, we will pay for it one way or another!!!

May 12, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  19. Gone Republican

If Michigan and Florida are not counted., These two large states will go Republican in the Fall. That is a given. Without Michigan, Florida,
    Texas and Ohio, No Democrat can win in November. Hillary can carry those criticl states, but Obama cannot. Live with that DNC.

Good bye Obama. Hope you can hold on to your Senate Seat.

May 12, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  20. Enlightened Voter

I just spoke to my aunt who worked with Hillary while she was first lady and reminded me that Hillary was foul mouthed, greedy and nasty and back then in the 90's was all about her, her and Bill. I see nothing has changed. SHe is evil people, realize it before it is too late. By the way did you ever ask yourself why there were so many 'whitewater suicides'.

May 12, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  21. David D Kollie

This guy sounds like Paul BeGala. "We are in until June 3". Who we? They and the Clintons. It is all about the Clintons and their capabilities to run this country. No one else can catch up them when it comes to leadership. Poor, poor, Pooooooooor judgement. First the argument was superdelegate. Now it is popular votes. Next it will be she lost. LOL.
    Has James Carville named those Clintons supporters who switched to Obama yet? If James could find name for Bill Richardson, I'm sure he can find names for those supperdelegates who left HRC for Obama.

May 12, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  22. Phillip Bunn , Bailey NC

If Hillary is so concerned about "blue collar" people I wonder why she doesn't try and raise money for the tornado victims rather than continue to squander money on a campaign she can't win.

May 12, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  23. Bruell

looks like you guy's on CNN are trying to pull up any big mouth who ads
    to the Clinton myth, and strangely enough again, just a day befor the next elections.

May 12, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  24. Austin, New York

B from NY, Can you please tell us what Clinton has done for New York
    Didn't think so
    She has done nothing....where are all of those jobs she promised New York....there are none, since she has been in the senate we have lost thousands and thousands...

I am a republican that will vote for Obama....

May 12, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  25. veronica lynne

The bottom line is–half the Democrats don't want Obama.
    And if he's so great, why not?

And we won't be forced to vote for him if the Dems choose him.
    There's options you know.

May 12, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |