May 13th, 2008

Schneider: Exit polls show sobering news for Democrats

First Presbyterian Church in St. Albans, West Virginia.

First Presbyterian Church in St. Albans, West Virginia.

(CNN) - The West Virginia exit polls have some sobering news for the Democratic Party.

As has been the case in previous states, a significant amount of both candidates' supporters said they aren't willing to vote for the other candidate in November.

Among Obama supporters, just 51 percent of West Virginia Democrats say they will vote for Clinton if she is the nominee. John McCain would get close to a third of Obama's supporters, and 14 percent said they wouldn't vote at all.

But an even smaller number of Clinton's supporters would back Obama: just 36 percent say that they would vote for the Illinois senator. About the same amount, 35 percent, say they would support McCain and 29 percent say they wouldn't vote or would vote for someone else.

It looks like if Obama becomes the nominee, he's going to have quite a struggle with John McCain to carry West Virginia for the Democrats.

1. Mr Din

Most them what ever they say now they will do different...
    during general election I will vote who ever I think good for next president, regardless what party they are...

May 13, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  2. Mary Sue

I resent all of this attenion on WV, as though that small state with its narrow profile of voters is THE barometer of the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party is much bigger than WV and Obama has gotten his fair share of voters in other places.

Hillary is not my first choice, but I'd sure hold my stomach and vote for her instead of old man McCain. I don't want Americans dying in yet another country in the Middle East.

Signed,
    an elitist who likes arugula, can't bowl and clings to her faith

May 13, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  3. John

I fail to see what is so bad about an Obama/Clinton ticket. For all you Clinton haters out there, are you blind? Can you not see that she has a huge number of supporters? Despite what the media tells you, the Clintons are not as hated in America as they would lead you to believe.

You do a lot of talking about math. Well, then look at the math. And it shows that Hillary has a tremendous following. Do you really think it's a wise idea to alienate all these people?

I will vote for whoever is the Democratic candidate, but alienating the huge number of people who support Clinton is a great strategy if the Democrats are determined to lose.

May 13, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  4. Brian Johnson

To all Obama supporters. I to was an Obama backer until I realized that he has some un-explainable connections to some really bad people. I like the guy,his message of change, and his spirit. None of this was enough though to mask what I didn't know about him. I am asking you to do some research on him and come to your own conclusion after looking into his record and history more I had to change my support. I wish I could get my vote back now. This is not meant to offend or make anyone angry but just to give you information that the media is not willing to look into about Mr. Obama. I was jacked up on the fresh face and fairy tale that the media was portraying and these negatives would not be so alarming to me either but the fact that no news agency has checked into this stuff or reported some of it makes me feel like they are helping him conceal this stuff. Let's be honest the media is more than willing to cover anything negative about Hillary or McCain. Why not Obama? Former Obama supporter 😦

May 13, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  5. Mark

HRC should be proud of winning virtually all of the large and most strategically important primary contests for beating the Republican Party in November. Unfortunately, the U.S. election process is so outdated that we continue to struggle to identify who the voters actually prefer (see presidential election results in 2000 and 2004). Now with Florida and Michigan not being "seated" for the Democratic National Convention, we again face an inaccurate methodology for choosing our President.

Charisma is a wonderful element for a leader to possess. Absent of substance, it does not typically yield the best outcome. I believe that to be the case with Senator Obama.

May 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  6. bessie

So more than 90% of AA voted for Obama in most states such as Indiana, Mississippi, etc is not considered "r a c i s m"?

May 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  7. Roger

I'm a Christian and sometimes it is a good time to prey. But during a political speech, asking for a moment of silence for tornado victims just seems a bit phony to me.

May 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  8. Jeff in Portland

The reality of the situation is that once the party settles on a nominee, party members will unite and the healing process will take place. When it comes down to it, voters will have to decide between the same disastrous policies of the previous administration (McCain) and a totally different direction (Obama or Clinton).

I'm a strong Obama supporter, and right now I'm pissed at HRC for putting her own ego before what's best for the country, but come November I will gladly vote for whichever Democrat is going up against Bush Part Deux. And I think most of my colleagues will do the same.

Right now, feelings are hurt, people are pissed off, etc. But voters will do what's best for the country in November.

May 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  9. Cherri

Obviously written by a Hillary fearmonger. Obama has an excellent chance of winning in November. I have seen with my own eyes the conversion of older, racist-leaning Republicans. Everyone, of every political stripe is SICK to death of anything or anyone connected to Bush.

May 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  10. S. Shay

The exit polls show that most of Obama's supporters are like him mature and fair minded while Clinton's supporters are like her, immature with a huge sense entitlement, no moral standing, no integrity and no intellectual fortitude.

May 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  11. IF, Lisbon

That's why the sooner this infighting between Democrats ends the better. Hillary is really hurting any other nominee's chances apart from herself when GE's time comes.

May 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  12. Ben

Shneider, peoples opinion will change after the bitter contest between Barack and Clinton. they'll focus more about the difference between McCain and Obama and will begin to appreciate Obama's plans about the economy and pulling our brothers and sisters from the evil McCain and Bush war going on in iraq. About his race, people will also begin to appreciate the advantage he has as a product of a Mixed race marriage. the truth about Obama is that he is a white man in a black skin. he is 90% white and 5% black. Obama as a president will heal so many wounds. the issue of racism will die a natural death in america. Obama will not only bring change to DC but will effect change in the world. we, as americans have an appiontment with destiny. i'm happy Obama came in my life time. History is about to be made and we are moving towards recovering our lost gory and respect. God Bless America

May 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  13. Marlie:

Just go away Bill Schneider. Far, far away – and don't come back.

May 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  14. Donald S.

Well I have said this several times on this blog, Obama blew it big time not sitting down with Clinton early on to work something out. He listen to the same "Big Heads" he says need to get out of town. The Obama-Clinton ticket done right early on would havw crash to Rep., and they knew it. Obama started listening to all the hipe. "Obama the Superstar". I still don't understand the beef with Hillary. The GOP sucked the American people in again. Hate Clinton...no Hate Obama!! Obama again I ask you show me that you want to be a "REAL" president and put together this ticket. You'll have my vote!! Wake up America, Wake up Obama!!

May 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  15. Ann

Debbie, I am with you! I am white, 39, and make only $21,000 a year and I wouldn't vote for Hillary if my life depended on it, UNLESS she were the nominee, because I'm not stupid enough to vote against my own economic interests.

May 13, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  16. Sherri

Is this a great surprise? This devisive contest needs to come to an end. I support Senator Obama. I would not be happy to see Hillary Clinton win. I think she is dishonest and terribly, terribly selfish. Would I vote for her? You bet. We must get the Republicans out of the White House, as their bad out weighs her bad...the war in Iraq that McCain wants to go on for 100 years, a woman's right to choose, taking care of the elderly, and getting the economy back on track are more important than either candidate. Democrat in 08!

May 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  17. Lynn in Iowa

"If Obama becomes the nominee"? CNN...really...how about a little straight talk for a change? The Clinton backers and Clinton herself know that Obama has the nomination. Lets move forward at last.

May 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  18. LATINOVOTER

E. loz Miami May 13th, 2008 6:13 pm ET

OOOhhh, OOOOhhh… Seems like it's going to be an arranged marriage after all.
    PLEASE WE WANT CHANGE, AND HILLARY< MCCAIN AND BUSH ARE NOT CHANGE. SHE WILL NEVER BE THE VP, YOU WISH!

May 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  19. michael

Tis 1968 all over again. Obama will win one state at most.
    Also, has anyone noticed that Obama will not win with elected delegates; its impossible. He needs the Super Delegates, who are just cigar chomping back room fat cats. This is a brokered convention just like any other. Not to Democratic for a party that claims to be.

May 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  20. Scott M

The Obama strategy is a 50 state one, but the electoral route is through the mid-Atlantic states, Florida, the midwest, the Rockies and the west. No offense WV, but that just appears to be the way it's going.

If Hillary should steal the nomination, her route would probably head through WV, like Bill.

May 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  21. D Rudy, Obama Supporter

Yes, how intelligent you all are who say you will vote McCain if you can not have your Hillary. Oh, poor little babies. Grow-up! I suggest you scratch in the now President Bush name since you want more of the same ole same ole. Especially you white loving WV voters. And you say you paid how much for gas today? And which of your sons is going back to Irac? How many times? Sure... do the smart thing.... vote for McCain, you will deserve everything you get with McCain, "my friends", ha ha ha ha. So sad.

May 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  22. Slick Pickle

We must go until June 3rd. How else will we be able to raise the donations from the people after Hillary's dominating wins in West Virginia and Kentucky? This is funny I was speaking with my 88 year old grandmother in Memphis, who was telling me Obama is a Muslim and his wife isn't proud to be an American. I started to tell my grandmother that these stories in the media are not all true and the truth isn't just black and white, and she interrupts me to say she isn't a bigot or a racist I would have voted for Colin Powell. I wished her a happy Mothers Day and moved on. Just what we should all do… Move on…

May 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  23. clbrune

Why is it that anyone who doesn't fawn over Obama is sneered at and called a racist, or stupid, or both?

Are Obama supporters really that fragile, shallow, and holier-than-thou?

May 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  24. Debbie

To all the female HC supporters – you aren't going to vote for Obama if when he wins the Demo race!!!???
    So you are going to push our coutry back decades for my daughter – that's inane!
    The Republican's will slaughter HC in a GE – there is so much baggage from the Clinton's that hasn't even been touched on.
    PETER PAUL Vs CLINTON – if HC doesn't get elected she has to face her past!!
    And DUH – Why do you think Republican's started voting for HC after Obama startig winning – THEY WANT HER!
    Show some depth of character – it would be wonderful to have a woman president – just not this one!
    SNL was SOOOOO right!!!

May 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  25. Marie, Los Angeles, CA

I knew this would happen......Obama can't win in November without her!!!!

May 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |