May 13th, 2008

Schneider: Exit polls show sobering news for Democrats

First Presbyterian Church in St. Albans, West Virginia.

First Presbyterian Church in St. Albans, West Virginia.

(CNN) - The West Virginia exit polls have some sobering news for the Democratic Party.

As has been the case in previous states, a significant amount of both candidates' supporters said they aren't willing to vote for the other candidate in November.

Among Obama supporters, just 51 percent of West Virginia Democrats say they will vote for Clinton if she is the nominee. John McCain would get close to a third of Obama's supporters, and 14 percent said they wouldn't vote at all.

But an even smaller number of Clinton's supporters would back Obama: just 36 percent say that they would vote for the Illinois senator. About the same amount, 35 percent, say they would support McCain and 29 percent say they wouldn't vote or would vote for someone else.

It looks like if Obama becomes the nominee, he's going to have quite a struggle with John McCain to carry West Virginia for the Democrats.

1. Roger

I will thank Hillary if McCain wins. That would be a blessing in disguise.

May 13, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  2. Bubba

All feminists need to take care of their husbands and get back in the kitchen and bake some Toll House cookies. Ever seen a femisist? Ugh ! ! !

May 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. Ann

Clinton supporters are too smart to vote for Obama. There is NO way we can afford a "try it and see" gimmick with Obama. He's a gamble and the Clinton supporters are not willing to chance it. She is the more electable candidate and polls already show that 70% of Obama supporters will vote for Hillary if she's the nominee...so what's the problem? He can't win...she can in November!

May 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. Michael

Unfortunately Obama supporters aren't willing to hear the truth unless it comes out of their messiah's mouth. People aren't willing to vote for Obama. In the end people want quality not looks. People want experience not missed votes and inaction on committees. As a registered Democrat with a 10 year voting record for Democratic candidates I know 100% that if Clinton is not the Nominee I will vote for McCain. To be honest its kinda a close call between Clinton and McCain. Why would I vote for a Lawyer over someone who's done nothing but public service for their entire life.

May 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. Gabriel

This is absurd. If the Democrats lose because of a bunch of stuck up, simpletons who vote for a name and not a principle, then, frankly, the US deserves another 8 years of Bushesque policy blunders. It's just too bad that the rest of the world will be dragged down into this absurdity. I can't fathom it. The idiocy of it all. The lack of thought or concern. I suppose this is simply proves the point that human beings are really nothing more than slack jawed simpletons who follow a flag or a symbol religiously. I give up.

May 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  6. Gloria

This white woman stands tall for a man that continues to prove that he does;nt have to stoop to the lows of the Clinton campaign. I was prepared to support her until she started all the nrgative stuff. No integrity or human decency has been portrayed by Hillary and she makes me ashamed to say that I wanted her to win at one time. Now she could'nt buy my vote. She has so many holes and continuaaly shows just how self-centered she is. I'd never vote nfor MCCain either as he can hardly give a speech without reading a teleprompter. I wonder if he is even reading his own words.

May 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  7. Jackson

It's a heat of the moment poll.
    Ask them in a few months when their candidate has endorsed and campaigned for the other.

May 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  8. Louis

These people are making a grave mistake–will Obama or Clinton supporters please explain how they could vote for McCain if their candidate is not the nominee? The Democratic candidates are very similar on almost all issues but McCain is the polar opposite.
    How can Obama supporters ever vote for McCain who wants to continue the war in Iraq?
    How can Clinton supporters ever vote for McCain who wants to overturn Roe v. Wade?

I await your reply.

May 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  9. Christine V from Dallas, TX

Remember…D day is closing in! And I know from these post many Obama supporters are shaking in their shoes that a large Hillary constituent will not support Obama!!!!!!….well your nightmare will be reality when McCain wins November….and you know without us (large majority) your guy CAN'T WIN! Even media commentators are worried………well this is what you get you nasty obama elitist….and no not all of us are old, uneducated or set on our ways….start worrying obamabots, your bitter and hateful comments on our candidate got you this…..GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD! WE WILL NOT SUPPORT YOUR GUY! WE WILL N0T BACK HIM UP…..**YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN**

ITS HILLARY OR MCCAIN …NEVER THE ELITIST OBAMA WHO LOOKS DOWN ON REGULAR PEOPLE…….YOU DESERVE TO LOSE THIS NOVEMBER!!

May 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  10. Ross in MD

West Virginia is solidly red. I think it's great that Obama would be competitive against McCain here at all. It will be interesting to see the total number of Democratic voters vs Republican voters today.

May 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  11. Derek, Riverside CA

LOL, I love watching Dems eating their own. I also like how Dems are painting McCain with the "uber" conservative brush. Only a hardcore psycopathic liberal would call call McCain ultraconservative. I guess that's why Kerry was desperately pining for McCain to be his running mate or why Bush hates him and vice versa.

Fortunately, the DNC and Obama seem intent on using a horrible strategy of McBush or McSame.

May 13, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  12. Lynda

Clinton supporters will vote for Obama in the fall if they don't feel trashed and disregarded by Obama suporters' /bloggers' venomous comments. Let HRC run through all the primaries; respect all voters and count all votes.

Re superdelegates: they already have a weighty-enough vote and should not be endorsing as well. Let people vote based on the issues, not on the endorsements of superdelegates.

May 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  13. Christian

I voted for Hillary in my states Caucus in Feb. A vote I now regret. I think this just shows how devisive Hillary is. I do not want to vote for her in Nov. as president nor as a VP. Long a supporter of hers, after the negative attacks on Obama, the "mistuths" I now feel she is greatly lacking in character. I want to be able to vote for Obama, however, as an American there is no way in the world I am going to give up my right to vote and stay home. I am deeply troubled by the direction of this country and feel Hillary would do better than McCain in leading us our of the near hopeless mess we are in. So, even though I have been one of those who have said that I would not vote for Hillary, if she an McCain were my only choice I would. God, I hope I get the chance to vote for Obama in Nov. and even more I hope he is our next president. (by the way, my demographics indicate I should like Hillary, white, middleaged, educated , christian woman)

May 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  14. Bryan

A year ago all would pick WV to be red anyways. How is this news.

May 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  15. SAM

Well, you know, up to an hour ago I have been YELLING that there is no way I'd vote for Hillary Clinton if she got the Dem. nomination, or the V.P. position with Obama. I've sat here for the past hour and shuddered at the thought of the Clintons being back in the White House with Obama. But the cold hard FACT is she's tough, she's intelligent, and hard working and she would be ten times better than any Republican or anybody else. So if she gets the nomination or the V.P. spot with Obama I'll be behind her/them 100 percent. Sad and disgusted but still behind her or them.

And I'd like to think whether we support Obama or Clinton we will stick by our Democratic party's chosen candidates. Do we really want more of this Republican MESS? NO WE DO NOT. So let's grow up and put our prejudisms aside- whatever they may be- and stop being pig-headed about this.

May 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  16. Miguel Gomez

Well, long time Democrat supporter and the same feeling in my office here in NY. If Obama is the nominee, we will go for the Republican or any other independent that might come alone. He wont carry the white vote, he wont carry the Latinos vote. He will indeed carry these crazy Obamaniacs that post their comments here. P.S. (No racist, just that this guy is still a big IF, and the media and some half-brain followers can not see this).

May 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  17. Demo Dem

Vote Obama for President...................................of Chicago's Southside Senior Sewing Club.

May 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  18. Patrick

I hate to pick on WV.... oh... no I don't. Lets see... state among the poorest and least educated votes gung ho for Hillary Clinton.

What does that tell ya'll? Simple... uneducated white democrats support Hillary. What a claim to fame Hillary. You pretty much said that yourself.

Oh... and because I am college educated white guy thats voting for Obama... I must not be a "hard worker" because I am not blue collar.

Whatever...

May 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  19. ovitshio Branco from New Mexico

There is a diffrence between being "educated" vs. being "learned."
    After reading 95% of the notes (blogs) on CNN, here are some conclusions:
    1.Hillary's supporters may be learned, but they are not educated. That is, they show gross negligence in doing research to uncover the truth.

2. Majority of Hillary's supporters write using "uppercase" letters, suggesting that they are rude, bitter, and inconsiderate.

3. Like their candidate, most of Obama supporters are very humble and put this nation "first". Wealth and greed are seen as secondary or remote issues

4. All of the lies and disinformaiton about Barack is going up in smoke as past political propaganda. We are now witniessing history unfolding before our very eyes, as the nations' first Democratically elected black man gets voted into the highest position of authority in the country. I can honestly say that I am proud to be an American again. Thank you Barack, for being a true leader.

May 13, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  20. emmaAtlanta

May 13th, 2008 6:20 pm ET
    I am thinking as usual that CNN will not post this comment as long as it does not favor their candidate but I will have to write it anyway.
    Just 36 percent of Democrats in WV will vote for Obama if he becomes the nominee??? The DEMO chiefs are giving away votes to McCain without knowing it. It is dangerous for the super delegates to brush off the idea that a united wholehearted party will fall behind Obama as he carries all these states in Novmber. It is clear that the Republicans will not fold their arms and watch either. Therefore, it is not too late for the undecided supers to rally around the Candidate, Hillary who is winning the November needed demographics.

May 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  21. HYPOCRACY 08

You bet....
    No Hillary... No vote for me... I will not support this hypocracy!

So come on with the racist comments... because that race card is exactly why I'm not voting for Obama... That camp has gotten so bad that if you disagree with them in any way, you must be a racist... and that's a load of BS!

May 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  22. Anonymous

May 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  23. Highly Gifted

I would pit any kin folk from Kenya against any of America's double-digit IQ red-necks and brainwashed country bumpkin flag-wavers any day of the week. Hee Haw, smart lady

The eloquent, articulate intellectual, thinker from Illinois grabbed my vote at the first hello regardless of Kenya kin. I cast my vote for the superlative mind of the gentleman from Illinois; I could care less where his relatives reside. I am thinking only about the greater good of America!

May 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  24. KLT

Of course, if you happen to vote for Clinton, you must be racist. About as absurd as saying that if you vote for Barack Obama, you must be sexist. I'm sorry, but how dumb a generalization is that?

If Barack's supporters are all supposed to be college educated, it's a rather depressing indication of the state of higher eduction in this country.

May 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  25. Steven Fierberg

The reason many of Hillary's supporters won't back Obama is basic, but the media is afraid to call it: They are racists and will not vote for a black man. That simple.

May 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |