May 13th, 2008

Schneider: More sobering news - the value gap

PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES.

PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES.

(CNN) - The West Virginia exit polls show more sobering news for Democrats about the deepening division within the party.

We asked the voters whether each candidate shared their values.

Among Barack Obama supporters, 62 percent said Hillary Clinton does not share their values while just 37 percent said she does.

The number is even more staggering among Clinton supporters: nearly 70 percent of her voters say Obama does not share their values while just 30 percent say he does.

We're getting over 60 percent of the supporters of each candidate saying the other candidate does not share our values – which could spell trouble for the Democrats as they try to unite the party for the general election.

1. jdona

Here's a news flash for you people thinking West Virginia is red neck racist territory. West Virginia if full of government, federal workers who work in DC and reside in beautiful West Virginia where the cost of living is lower. Why don't you do your homework on the state instead of regurgitating the Hatfields and McCoy clan wars? They don't like Obama just like PA didn't like Obama and Ohio didn't like Obama, and Texas didn't like Obama. In fact, there are over 15 million of us voters who DON'T LIKE OBAMA!.

May 13, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  2. Sharon Minnesota

The issues may appear to be similar between the candidates but people know that their value systems are light years apart.

I prefer to share my values with Clinton even if we don't agree on everything. Obama is way too far left for my tastes.

May 13, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  3. Pat

I am shocked at what Senator clinton is doing. She is a very intelligent woman and certainly does not need any one to tell her that she will not be the nominee. She also knows that her continued racing will not only destroy the position of the Democratic party in this election but will definitely distroy the immage her husband worked hard to build.
    Is she honestly running for the White house or is she a loose cannon that is being sponsored by the republican party? What a shame. I used to respect and admire this Lady. She has shown herself as a deadly Politician who does not know when to stop. Her blind perseverence has killed what would have been a dream team -Obama-Clinton Ticket. Please people, advice Hillary to get out now, to restore her dignity. My fellow woman be prudent.

May 13, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  4. Lisa

Yeah let's leave the Democrated party and go Independent Hillary. They don't need us anymore, they robbed Florida and Michigan of their votes and refuse to let all the votes count before selecting a nominee. They don't care about us, so we don't care about them.

Have fun will your nominee DNC, he cannot beat Mccain!!!

May 13, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. Kevin from WA

Since when do the West Virginia Democrats reflect the sentiments of the entire Democratic Party?

BEWARE EVERYONE!

This series of articles about West Virginia are meant to manipulate us into believing this primary is not over.

ITS OVER! Obama is the obvious choice of the Democratic Party, country-wide. Its plain as day!

May 13, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  6. barry

I find it interesting that, all of the sudden, WV matters. I'm not really a demeaning person, but the last time I was in WV, a piece of county legislation set to authorize the addition of fluoride into the city water was rejected by the public because of fears that the fluoride would react in your stomach to make chlorine gas. Granted, that was several years ago, but I still think the country as a whole should take the public opinion of WV with a grain of salt.

May 13, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  7. Sean, Detroit MI

Blah Blah Blah West Virginia. WV has always been a RED state. It's toothless incestuous gun toting uneducated bible thumpers will go for McCain in the fall regardless of who is on the democrat ticket. Lets move on people, nothing to see here.

May 13, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  8. Nat

What does this tell you? Based on the demographics of West Virginia it tells you uneducated white rednecks over 65 years old do not like this young whipper-snipper called "Barrack." (What kind of name is that for an America anyway?) That's what it tells you.

Personally, I think America is better off without these voters. Who would advocate picking the leader of the USA based on the opinions of old people who never bothered to finish high school and never made anything of themselves after dropping out?

May 13, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  9. Kim

Values? What kind of values are reflected when Hillary openly brags that only she can get the white vote. Is purposely dividing the Democrats along racial lines just to make one final futile attempt to overturn an already decided election, an indication of morality and desirable values? If Hillary were a woman of any decent conviction she would apologize for having played the racial prejudice card and she would withdraw from the primary. But of course, that is not Hillary is it?

May 13, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  10. OBAMA WON

ALL YOUR ALL CAPS THREATS MEAN NOTHING!!!!

OBAMA WON, SO YOUR THREATS MEAN NADA, IF HILARY STEALS THE ELECTION, DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR OBAMA WILL SUPPORT HILLARY?

YOU ARE ALL SORE LOSERS LIKE YOUR LEADER...

IF YOU LOSE STICK WITH THE PARTY, IF YOU DON'T – GET READY FOR MORE BUSH...

IF YOU STEAL THE ELECTION, GET READY FOR CRAZY BACKLASH!

May 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  11. Patricia in Las Vegas

All of you women who are screeching that you will run to McCain if Obama gets the nomination truly give women a bad name. Are you really that STUPID? Either you are harpys hired by the Republicans or you are truly brain-dead idiots. I didn't realize that stupidity came hand-in-hand with bigotry. You have set women's rights back decades by your support of McCain.

May 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  12. shannonL

Man you people are dumb...attack the Clinton supporters will only drive the towards McCain.

Once again, in your insanity, you have hurt Obama, just like A huffington.

May 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  13. Denver

Apparently my first comment about WV being the least intelligent state and being pro-Hillary was deemed unacceptable by the Clinton News Network (CNN).

But the truth is WV is number 50 when talking about educated people and they proved that by being so blatently racist in this primary. If all these racist people in WV want HRC, then that's just another reason for her to NOT win the nomination.

May 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  14. Gina

The way WV runs their state...their values are reflected in their choice of candidate.

May 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  15. Bridget

Hillary will make it right when she throws her support to Barack Obama on June 4 and touts their similarities. She'll encourage her supporters to vote for Obama and they will fall in line because they are loyal to Hillary and will do as she asks.

May 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  16. Alex

Anyone who does NOT vote for the Democratic nominee, regardless of whom it turns out to be, should be ashamed of themselves for allowing their pride & bitterness to interfere in our country's and children's future. Let US, put an end to the Bush policies in 2009. (Don't play into the Republican game.)

May 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  17. Mark K.

CNN always seems to have "sobering news", and yet the Democrats keep on doing very well this year.

I have a feeling that it's CNN's reporters that could use a little sobering.

I've never heard such a bunch of hopeless, feckless fearmongers in all my life.

May 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  18. Kevin

Bill Schneider is the one who needs the sobering.

May 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  19. tell the truth

So what only one state.

May 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  20. Franky

To be honest, I don't think I share any values with my boy or even Hillary or McCain! LOL!!! I have my own "unidentified and confidential" reasons why I support my boy. Is not because he shares some of the things I have, is because for other personal reasons. No offense but people have their own values that separate from one another....

May 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  21. Agnosticpragmatist

I think these polls are are insignificant. Clinton and Obama are far more similar than they are different as illustrated by the fact that their Health Plans are nearly identical. Each camp has to highlight the differences between the candidates to rally their supporters to the primary booths. The truth is that they are of like minds on most issues. Although they do not APPEAR the same, they certainly share the same values, all posturing and pandering aside. Perhaps my faith is misplaced but I do believe the American electorate will see in the end and that the Democrats will rally around the candidate elect because 8 years of a Republican administration has been a disaster and 4 more years of the same cannot be an option.

May 13, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  22. John Smith

How are the folks in West VA able to tell the difference between Change and Experience? Will they not need to go back to grade school?

Trust me, I lived in West VA for approximately 10 years. I never knew there were other states as big as West VA!

May 13, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  23. Nora

I have been a lifelong democrat and I will switch parties to become a Republican and vote for McCain if Hillary Clinton is not our nominee.

I will not vote for Obama. He has no experience or qualifications to be President.

I don't trust Obama. He will not be able to earn my vote.

May 13, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  24. pbj

Can you spell "McGovern"? It looks like even NOW, after 8 years of Bush, the Democrats are STILL going to lose. Kinda makes you think they don't deserve to win.

May 13, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  25. Mickey

Would Hillary be there if she were not Bill Clinton's wife? Being married to a president does not qualify her for anything. Would she even be a senator without being his wife? No. She has media exposure which has given her name recognition – She hasn't done anything more than Obama has in the Senate. I was a big supporter of Bill Clinton; but I've seen enough of him in this campaign.
    He weakens her; can't she do it without him?

May 13, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |