May 13th, 2008

Schneider: Will West Virginia keep Clinton alive?

Sen. Hillary Clinton talks on a mobile phone while walking to the Senate chambers Tuesday.

(CNN) - What are we looking for tonight in West Virginia? Whether the state’s Democrats will keep Hillary Clinton's campaign going.

If Hillary Clinton wins big in West Virginia, it will send a message: that she has something to say, and Democrats better listen. Clinton's strength all along has been, not just with women, but also with older, rural and blue-collar Democrats. The kinds of voters who predominate in West Virginia.

Are they Reagan Democrats? Not exactly. West Virginia did not vote for Ronald Reagan in 1980, and it did not vote for his vice president in 1988.

But the state did vote for George W. Bush. Twice. They're Bush Democrats, and the Democratic Party wants them back. Obama has had trouble reaching them. He has a message of inspiration and unity.

"We've got to open up our arms and say we want everybody - black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, young, old, rich, poor, gay, straight - we want everybody,” Obama has told crowds on the campaign trail.

But a lot of West Virginia Democrats are hurting. They're not bitter. They're not turning to guns and religion for solace. They're looking for hope.

"I think the message that Barack Obama takes from West Virginia and states like West Virginia, at least from our experience, is that he's going to somehow have to convince older, socially conservative voters that he can make their life better, and he's going to have to stick to the issues of economics and health care " says Kenny Bass, a political reporter in West Virginia.

Hillary Clinton seems to know how to reach those voters. Listen to what she's been saying in West Virginia: "We need a president again who's going to be solving our problems and begin to once again take care of the american people and all the challenges that we face.”

She says she delivers and says she’s a fighter: "It's going to take somebody who gets in there and rolls up her sleeves and gets to work for you!"

Senator Clinton may not win the nomination, but she's sending a valuable message to Democrats: show more fight!

You know, sometimes it takes a woman to toughen up a man.

"Screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail," Lady Macbeth said.

Not that Lady Macbeth is a role model, but still.

1. mj

As a white 54 year old female, I support Obama. I have never hear him "mock" females. I'm not sure why the press jumped on his "bitter" comments but didn't pound into the ground her "hard working white folks"! They have both made mistakes–who hasn't?

She has worked hard to win the vote, so has he. They both have avid supporters but I don't think that either one of them would like the juvenile bickering that is going back and forth between their supporters. Let's help her exit this race with dignity and grace and move forward.

May 13, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. HH

ITS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  3. v4hill

you got it right CNN. You go girl. OB cannot win nov .. never without PA and WV..

May 13, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  4. Sandy

We can only hope that W.Va. keeps Hillary's campaign alive.

All those foolish enough to fall for Barack "Slick" Obama's act should not be allowed to drag the rest of us with you.

There should be a law against allowing gullible people to vote.

May 13, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  5. Fact

YES.. IT DOES.

May 13, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. Ivey League

OBAMA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHETHER OR NOT FL OR MI ARE REPRESENTED AT THE CONVENTION...

Talk to the DNC... please.

May 13, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. No

it won't keep Clinton alive. If anything it will raise questions but she's too far behind to catch up. I'm still trying to figure out how a campaign that started with $100 million funded ended at $20 million in the red. How on earth does that happen in 15 months????

May 13, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. marylee wagerman atlanta,ga

* SUSA finds Obama to be ahead 54% to 43% and gaining ground among women. Note that 43% of voters say they have already voted (Oregon has a mail-in voting system) and Obama only leads by 1%.

* The Portland Tribune finds Obama crushing Clinton 55% to 35%. I believe this is the first non-SUSA poll of Oregon.

* Finally, PPP shows Obama leading 53% to 39%.

May 13, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. Iam U.

Why is CNN always posting negative stuff about Obama, Racists.
    Every news about Hillary is about hope, and everything that has to do with positive actions.

May 13, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. Democrat but Still Thinking

Oh yea, and all of you that think we are just racist for not voting for Obama, JUST STOP IT. Stop using the race card for everything, because racism is a real thing not something to be used whenver somone says I don't agree with you. This is ridiculous. It seems like all white Obama supporters are trying to clean their conscious and feel good about themselves. Well, you want feel good? Stop urging me to support Obama and treat my husband and all African American people fairly. Words amount to nothing. Actions speak for themselves. Stop this utopic ideology and embrace your own values and principles.

May 13, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  11. Ronald

Clinton doesn't believe small states count . . . so, if we are to believe anything the woman says (ha, ha), then no. WV has no impact on the Democratic race.

May 13, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. Fact

I will take McCain over Obama any given day, even though I am a democrat.

May 13, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. robert

What exactly has Obama done to offend women in general. Could you plese be more specific ?

May 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. sheryl

Hell no!!!!!!! she has to go......This is not news Sandy and v4hill you both are nuts!!!!!!! unite she cannot win the math is not there!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. Daniella

Hillary Clinton should carry on , she has worked hard and still deserves to be in the race.
    The Democratic Party has been exposed as a self serving , inept and disorganized mean machine , and Obama is their golden boy.
    Sorry ,but you have lost my respect and support.
    This election process has been unfair and interfered with by the old boys club inWashington.
    A lot of you have forgotten that you are elected public servants yourselves and many of you have gone against the will of your constituents.
    Shame on you and the super delegates who have sold their integrity for political expedience.

May 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  16. Adam, Los Angeles

Keep her alive? She's basically been Dead-Woman Walking since North Carolina and Indiana. Nonetheless, I congratulate her on a hard-fought campaign.

May 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  17. The Dude

No... West Virginia is going to keep the Magic Wall alive!

If Hillary dropped out now, we wouldn't have a reason to stay up all night watching the best election coverage on television! I don't know about you guys, but I can't get enough of that Magic Wall.

Okay, you're right... Hillary has NO chance whatsoever of winning this nomination, but who cares?! "Tuesday Night Primary" has become the new Monday Night Football. The only difference is that instead of Madden, we get Anderson Cooper.

Magic Wall '08!

May 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  18. Bridget

Because 5 whole electoral votes count. Yeah right. She lost me after her "poor white people like me better" pandering.

May 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  19. pee-d-feet cause something stinks

AH, NO

May 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  20. James

In a word, no. t wasn't over when Obama swept Wyoming, Mississippi, and a bunch of other states by 30+ points. The race it too short and the hole it too deep for her to get back in it.

It does however point out Obama MUST get more focused on connecting with workers, explaining his history of working for health care, collective bargaining and ending preditory lending practices.

I hate to agree with Carl Rove but a trip to Washington to buff the record on these things would be helpful before it is the Republicans turns to slap him around.

May 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. BOB

"But they DID vote for George Bush. TWICE." LOL, with such a population of geniuses, no wonder Hellary is their choice.

May 13, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. Extinct Snipe

"Stick your courage in the screwing place, and all will be hell," sounds like something Hillary said.

May 13, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. HILLARY SUPPORTER

I think it is absolutely funny that several weeks ago, ALL BO supporters INCLUDING ALL Pundits and CNN folks were saying "HILLARY WILL NEED OBAMA, BUT HE WILL NOT NEED HER..." FUNNY how times change!.....She could win EASILY without him.....looks like he DOES NEED her! TOO funny!!!!!!
    Loved his comment, too...remember this one (my all-time favorite)....."I'm sure I can get her voters, I'm not so sure she can get mine...." What an ego.....yet another thing he said that I thought was absolutely rediculous when I heard it!!!!!
    GO HILLARY!!!!!!! 🙂

May 13, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. Ilona Proud Canadian

CNN, please post my comment.
    Thanks.

When I first started watching cnn (many months ago) I could always pick out the cnn Clinton supporters, I must admit that I have been kicking myself for quite sometime now. You see, I really thought that Bill Schneider was not a clinton supporter, I thought that he was one of the very few fair reporters, but with every day that goes by, he shows just how biased he is.

Right now on Wolf Blitzer, there is Bill, spouting that Hillary is going to change the Democratic Race with a blow-out win in WV. Why are you folks so biased?

We all know that Sen. Obama spent only a part of the day yesterday in this state, and cnn is touting Hillary's claims that he ran a very "aggressive campaign" in WV.

For what it is worth, my opinion is this. Barack deliberately avoided campaigning in WV. because he really wants Hillary to be in the spotlight, even if it will be just for a little while. If the tables were turned and Barack was in Hillary's place, you better believe that there would have been a huge outcry, for him to quit the race. Gosh cnn do you think you can be just a little less transparent? CNN Please post this comment.

May 13, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. The Show Goes On... And On... And On

Hillary's "campaign" is not a campaign any more – it's a traveling comedy show about a lady in need of psychiatric help, and nobody helps her.

May 13, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |