May 13th, 2008

Special Mississippi election frames big one

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/05/13/miss.election/art.childers.ap.jpg caption="Democrat Travis Childers, left, faces Republican Greg Davis in a special election Tuesday in Mississippi."]
(CNN) - A special congressional election Tuesday in a conservative Mississippi district is expected to hold implications for both parties beyond the gain or loss of single House seat.

For Democrats, a decisive victory by Chancery Clerk Travis Childers would be the latest in a series of special-election wins for the party and provide a strong tailwind heading into the November elections.

For Republicans, Childers' defeat could dispel notions the GOP is in for a widespread thrashing next fall and prove that efforts to link local Democrats in conservative districts to Barack Obama and his former pastor could be a winning strategy in what appears to be a difficult election year for the party.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Congress
  1. fred

Obama isn't going to win anyway....NO PROBLEMS!!

Go Hillary!!

WRITE IN HILLARY!!

RUN AS AN INDEPENDENT HILLARY!!

May 13, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  2. nowlin

The Real problem is that Senator Clinton does not seem to be trustable.
    I am sure she is sincere, however she does not know the difference between " I think, or I believe",and I know. This is what bothers me. she
    has experiance in bad decisions. I realize that this is only a view, but
    researching her has lead me to this concern.

May 13, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. Sharon in Oakland, CA

I hope and pray that americans will come together as a nation. We need to stop all of this "black and white" stuff. We are one race, the human race. The world is looking at us and more importantly our children are looking at us (adults). Some of the comments I read are so disappointing (especially coming from adults).

God help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  4. fred

"Senator Obama hasn't endorsed my candidacy," Childers said after the ad began to air. "I have not been in contact with his campaign nor has he been in contact with mine."

LOL, I WOULDN'T CLAIM THAT OBAMA HAD ENDORSED ME EITHER.

GO HILLARY!!

May 13, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  5. marylee wagerman atlanta,ga

CNN SHOW THE PICTURE OF GREG DAVIS WITH DICK CHENEY

NO MORE BUSH/ CHENEY CRONIES

May 13, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  6. Sissie in NC

Of cut with the spin CNN......If the Democrat wins or loses it has nothing to do with Obama so quit it!
    Democrats 08'

May 13, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  7. Viva Obama 08

I want to clarify for clinton that hard working people are not just white only but they are also African American. Asian, Jews, Arabs, and Hispanics American.
    Florida and Michigan must not be seated. They broke party rules that they have agreed upon. Rules that they have created themselves and the party. Florida and Michigan are disgrace
    The math will not work for Clinton.

May 13, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  8. Belle

Gosh folks,

Let's see....we have over 100,000 thousand dead because of a typhoon...and over 12,000 dead because of an earthquake. Lets NOT forget our OWN death tolls and destruction due to Tornadoes, Floods and fires just within the last 4 months.

Isn't that just a little more important than your precious delegate count?

Chances are good Obama will be the nominee. Clinton could only pull it out by winning Oregon...which does not look likely given the demographics of the state.

The US cannot afford to help China....because we borrow money from China! Now it looks as though China will need the money...what do you suppose the US would do if China calls in the notes?

How do you think Obama or McCain or Clinton would handle that?

How can we help our folks at home when we cannot afford any more disasters? What about New Orleans....

There are graver issues facing ALL of America vs. your little delegate count.

May 13, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  9. Alan

Oh Yeah,

Outlawing killing babies would be terrible!! And yet we are so outraged at China. Ha!

May 13, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  10. Eddie

NO Hillary,NO Hillary,NO Hillary.

May 13, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  11. randy.new york

I think telling hilary clinton to get out of the race will not be good I thing but as it only six state left what obama need to do is to just let her campaign till june 3 by then he will get his normination by merit. So nobody will blame him for nothing I am for obama.

May 13, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  12. Peter in PA

Darth Vadik, CA,

Now that you mentioned.....I couldn't agree with you more.

It's a good one!

May 13, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  13. Moses, Ca.

Good luck Travis. People don't care about the " Rev " anymore. You'll win.

Also, for those who will vote for McCain if Obama get the nod, just think of our military men and women who will get killed after Nov. and ask yourself was it worth it. I hope you don't know any of them, because it was your vote that did it.

May 13, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  14. Independent-woman-voter-for-Obama

Good! The Republicans have been arrogant, divisive, mean, delusional, and THEIR PRESIDENT LIED TO US!

The RNC does not 'get it' yet, but they will come November! The Republicans are RESPONSIBLE FOR THE $10 TRILLION OF NATIONAL DEBT! Any one voting Republican needs some psychological help!

You can claim to be more patriotic, more Christian.... BUT your actions speak louder than words!

WE WILL NOT BE FOOLED AGAIN!

May 13, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  15. Michael Templer

what do any of your comments have to do with this special election.

If the democrats are fortunate enough to borrow this seat for two years

hopefully Obama will listen unlike Clinton in the 90's when they rammed their economic agenda through and caused them to lose the house.

May 13, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  16. Mind

George—FL—this is for you under Hagel laughs off — but won't rule out — joining an Obama ticket because the comments were closed in that section.
    Yes, I thank you for stating the obvious of most of the Hillary supporters, but I addressed this before…I don’t think CNN posted it, so I’ll try again. As for black people not paying their dues?....that is not even debatable. Black people made America what it is off their backs through blood, sweat and tears–literally. As far as I am concerned, there are no dues that any black person owes to anyone. My parents, their parents and their parent’s parents all worked very hard for everything they had; no one handed them a thing, and I admire them for it. There are a lot of people who here who were simply handed things in life…black AND WHITE but not everyone. There are many hard working blacks in this country just like there are many hard working whites and other ppl in this country. As for myself—I just graduated from a university and I am attending professional school this August. I know many people …whites and blacks… who are doing the same, and I know many people whites and blacks who are not doing too much with their lives, it’s really very interchangeable, so before you start to generalize-I understand you’re from Florida, I’m from the south too-one of the worse states with racism—you should use common sense. As far as you not being ready??...It’s OK because God’s will shall be done, not yours or any racist or sexist person out there…like it or not, and in His place, there simply is no “half way point” so I hope you get it right before your time is up.

May 13, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  17. Donald from SC

Democrats all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  18. Marshall

Why are you all blogging about things that are not about this article?

Go Travis Childers!!

May 13, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  19. Barack the Vote in RI

Has this turned into a chat room???? Hey people, stick with the topic.

May 13, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  20. SAM2008

You know before I came to U.S i thought people here are different but i guess all the same, are you people the same people who voted for BUSH twice now you are going to make the same mistake (VOTING FOR OBAMA) this will be your biggest mistake even BUSH is better than OBAMA.'
    this is one of OBAMA lies
    I Have Always Been Against Iraq- LIAR, you weren't in office to vote against it AND you have voted to fund it every single time, unlike Kucinich, who seems to be out gutting you Obama. You also seem to be stepping back from your departure date – AGAIN.

May 13, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  21. Peter in PA

Sharon from minnesota,

Please just look beyond your racial bias. If you still think McShame is the right guy. Then by all means vote for him. We democrats can't change minds of people like you. Barack will win over many Hillary supporters. I have no doubts about that. But there will be very few Hillary supporters won't supporting because he is a different then them. If that's the case, then vote for Republicans who will sell your rights to lobbying firms and appoint neocon judges.

May 13, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  22. Hopeful

Yes, I thank you for stating the obvious of most of the Hillary supporters, but I addressed this before…I don’t think CNN posted it, so I’ll try again. As for black people not paying their dues?….that is not even debatable. Black people made America what it is off their backs through blood, sweat and tears–literally. As far as I am concerned, there are no dues that any black person owes to anyone. My parents, their parents and their parent’s parents all worked very hard for everything they had; no one handed them a thing, and I admire them for it. There are a lot of people here who were simply handed things in life…black AND WHITE but not everyone. There are many hard working blacks in this country just like there are many hard working whites and other ppl in this country. As for myself—I just graduated from a university and I am attending professional school this August. I know many people …whites and blacks… who are doing the same, and I know many people whites and blacks who are not doing too much with their lives, it’s really very interchangeable, so before you start to generalize—I understand you’re from Florida, I’m from the south too—one of the worse states with racism—you should use common sense. As far as you not being ready??…It’s OK because God’s will shall be done, not yours or any racist or sexist person out there…like it or not, and in His place, there simply is no “half way point” so I hope you get it right before your time is up.

May 13, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  23. M.S. Indiana

Vote for hope not fear... the republicans are history after this election !!!

Debby, and why should Democrats not vote for the nominee ?? As soon as this primary stuff is over, then people will look at McCain and we will be united like never before... Do you even know what McCain stands for ?? how far away from being miss Clinton he is ?? Obama and Clinton is 95% the same on issues....

May 13, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  24. george

I agree Clara, I believe if we write her in it would make a difference. They keep saying that were going to unite, however, know one tells me how I'm going to vote nor persuade me. I believe Hillary has gotten a raw deal. I'm going to use my vote too speak volumes.

May 13, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. Punisher

The Democrats will be losing a lot of seats this year because of Obama, he is a POLARIZER.

They'd lose their bid again in the Whitehouse three in a row. I'm a registered Democrat, I support Hillary Clinton. I will cast my vote to McCain this year if Obama is the nominee for my party, I will also vote against candidates here in my state running for re-election that endorsed Obama. I don't care about the Supreme Court, my biggest concern is NATIONAL SECURITY. I have family members serving in Iraq right now, I TRUST only McCain and Hillary to make the right decision for our troops in the Middle East. Obama has too much affiliation with organizations and individuals that hate America and hate white people.

May 13, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |