May 14th, 2008

Poll shows both Clinton and Obama beating McCain

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/14/art.mccainpoll.ap.jpg caption="McCain trails both Democrats in a new poll."] (CNN) - While exit polls from the West Virginia primary seemed to suggest the party is deeply divided between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, a new poll out Wednesday suggests either candidate would easily beat Republican John McCain in the fall.

According to a new Quinnipiac University poll, both Democratic candidates beat McCain by a gap well outside the margin of error. Obama beats McCain by 7 points in the poll, 47 percent to 40 percent, while Hillary Clinton bests the Arizona senator by 5 points, 46 percent to 41 percent.

The poll carries a margin of error of plus or minus 2.4 points and was conducted from May 8-12.

Clinton and Obama's relatively strong standing against McCain in the poll appear to dispel notions that Democratic party may be unable to come together around one candidate in the fall, even as West Virginia exit polls reported majorities of both candidates' supporters would not support the other candidate in the general election.

1. Democrat first!!

We will come together in the fall and put a democrat in the White House. The bottom line is that both Obama and Hillary's policies will bring this country out of the hole The Bush Boys have dug for us. Once this primary process is over all eyes will turn to the mess that has been made and it is time for a change.

I am fine with the primaries continuing to the end as long as there is no bashing of our future nominee. Every state should be heard. But watch out McCain, this is the future of the country we are talking about. It is our time not yours.

May 14, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  2. Farnsworth Piggleswallow

Oh good we don't even need an election, we have a Quinnipiac University poll!

May 14, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  3. Who Cares

Polls suck. All they do is give a bunch of losers hope.

McCain if not Clinton

May 14, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  4. Theresa

Obama doesn't stand a chance against Mcain....I wonder how the Super Delegates will sleep at night if they let this novice of a senator become the Nominee. I shudder to think of the future with Mcain at the helm but thats what will happen if Hillary Clinton is not the nominee.

May 14, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  5. Johnny Be Good

I was pretty mad this morning when I heard the news. Then I got really mad when I saw most of these posts. Alot of people are saying that if this candiate does not get the nom then I am going to vote for the repugs! This just won't happen. When we finally get a nom, we will unite. The reason we havent yet is there are two very good canidates running and at some point this year we will be down to one. All I can say is that if you think the course of this country is going just fine, then go ahead and vote that way. I dont want you in my party because you have no idea what is means to be a democrat. But if you think there is a better way to run things, then vote DEMOCRAT. This is the only way we will change course in this country.

So I DO NOT beleive most of these poster anyway. They are just whining that their queen did not get the nom.

May 14, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  6. b

Democrats need to come together no matter if Clinton or Obama are the Democratic nominee!!! McCain would only continue the old politics of Bush, and America needs a HUGE clean-up and a TRANSPARENT and HONEST government.

Democrat '08

May 14, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  7. Liberty

Wake up Sheep of the USA! CNN uses polls to try to influence your behavior even stooping so low as to quote a Quinnipiac University Poll. I looked up the poll. No total number of participants or p value or any other statistical indicator of significance is listed. Who has heard of this polling institute. Polling personel can make a poll turn out how ever they wish. I have been called once in my life (probably because I am working long hrs) and they heard my white educated male voice so continued to ask me qualifying questions until they found out I hadn't lived in my new home more than 1 year so they disqualified me. Obama and Clinton both want to take from achievers and give to nonachievers and this results in downfall of economy. Check Myanmar history since 1948 and you will see a prime example of how the welfare state wrecks everyone's lives except a handful in charge at the top.

May 14, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Lorna, NY

The longer Hillary stays in the race, the larger the divide will be. It is time for her to exit and start working with Obama to seal the deal. It is not Obama's fault that Hillary ran an awful campaign and focused on large states. It is not his fault that she is in debt. She should concede and work to bring the party together. The longer she stays in, the more it becomes about her and not for the good of the party. I am hoping the superdelegates put an end to this nonsense.

May 14, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  9. RB

Howard Dean needs to grow a pair and tell the American Democrats how a nominee is selected. It's not "momentum"; it's not "popular votes"; it's not "electoral votes"; it's DELEGATE COUNT!! Period. What a spineless moron. He's going to humor Hillary Clinton until the party is damaged beyond repair.

But, I will say that I am glad that the rest of the US (white America) get to see how incredibly difficult it is for a black man to get a fair shake. HRC called on the racist white voters and they are responding. Obama is winning the black vote, but I don't recall him ever saying that "black people want me". Maybe, they vote for him because he's a better person??

Maybe, it's time for black voters to start considering moving to the republican party. At least there would be no illusion of equal opportunity. Democrats can thank HRC's dirty tactics, DNC lack of courage to enforce the rules, and super-D's lack of courage to cast a vote. CONGRATULATIONS, idiots, you're ripping the party apart!

May 14, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  10. Larry

Either will win - unless Clinton sets off Armageddon in the Democratic Party because of her selfishness.

May 14, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  11. Bill

I think that it is time that the Obamafanatics should take a que from Obama himself. This thing is going until June, so those who want to tell Hillary what to do, I ask – what have you done that you can talk about other than spew your hate filled words on news web site? Don't you have something other to do than to hate people? SAD for those who say they want HOPE and CHANGE. Sounds like they are a little bitter. SAD

May 14, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  12. we ARE bitter!!!!!

I'm a REAL democrat and will support whoever our nominee is. Zero respect to you dems that would vote for McCain if your candidate doesn't get it.

May 14, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  13. Dj

Hey y'all ... did anybody notice the "crackhead" that the Clinton campaign planted behind the podium to depict the most negative image of African Americans imaginable.

I would bet everything that fellow is not even a registered voter. I am certain that he was given some meager amount of cash to stand back there, hoop and holler on cue, and look like a clown. Sadly, I think they can say: "mission accomplished!"

May 14, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  14. an

It will surely be an interesting race considering the combination of people not favoring Bush's presidential term and Obama, but I guess McCain chances are been brightened a lot by Hillary as she continues to push democratic party to the limits, I think she is thinking far ahead she also like many pundits thing Obama can't win the election and with her polarizing her supporters off him his chances will be harder, which will give her lot better chance 4 years from now

May 14, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  15. fred

Who are they polling and where???

LMAO Obama wouldn't beat his own dog!!

If not Hillary...then McCain'

WRITE IN HILLARY!!

May 14, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  16. Richard (from Puerto Rico)

She is like the filly in the Kentucky Derby, she had good strides, but coming to the wire, she was second and had to be sacrificed. Moral, no matter how fast you can run, there is always a stronger runner that takes the lead. My case in point, since the begining of this contest, Hillary appeared to be the runoff candidate, and she miscalculated, she thought the race was over before it started, how wrong she was. By thinking she had the pan by the handle, thought that everyone had to bow to her, Queen like, oh boy!! She not only misread the peoples minds, she misthought, that in the USA, is not, repeat, is not a Monarchy, where the heirs of the throne are the family members. Grave mistake, we are a Democracy, where the leaders are chosen from the people, by the people and for the people. Don't you forgert it. The Bush, Clinton, dynasty is over. I look foward to the American people not to forget this as well. There are people wirh great ideas, vision and imagination to take this country forward with a better purpose for the american people and the rest of the world. Great men and women have come from the humblest of homes, see the history and be awared. Have a nice day

May 14, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  17. Chris

Has Obama actually won any states with large electoral votes, outside of Illinois and Missouri? I don't think DC, Hawaii, etc are going to put him over the top in a general election!

May 14, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  18. stop the crying and bragging

Obama supporters need to stop the bragging and Clinton supporters need to stop the whining and crying. Clinton has run a tough race but she has lost the nomination fair and square. And for her supporters to say they won't vote for Obama is a crying shame. Hillary, you set the tone of your campaign and it is about time you talk straight to your supporters. You can' t win with out tearing the party apart and handing the general to McCain. You know that and it is about time you tell your supporters the truth. You have been a loyal Dem all your life, don't turn your back on us now. We count as much as your supporters.

May 14, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  19. Bobby

Great news that Obama recieved more Super delegates today even after his defeat in WV. It was obvious that Hil was going to win in WV! It's sad that some American's still can not look past the color of a person's skin and vote for the right person. I am glad that either dem canidate can beat McCain ! I pray that it's Barack Obama all the way to the "White House" !
    Obama 2008

May 14, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  20. BH

I hope that CNN polls and Hillary's train job doesn't divide the Democratic party too bad. Based on media coverage and Hillary and her camp trying to make her look electable and negative campaigning, it has caused more to vote along racial and gender lines. When CNN shows polls how Barrack gets over 90% of the black vote or how Hillary gets the uneducated, older votes it causes a big divide. I mean since Hillary has all of a sudden claimed to be the supporter of hardworking white America, her supporters are looked at as being mostly white, old and dumb while Barrack's followers are either black or elite Starbucks type whites. All their votes count the SAME, no matter what anybody says! It has given Republicans and racist types the fuel they need to split the party and the country. Americans should be better and smarter than that. Barrack is doing the right thing in not responding to racial overtones but when his supporters, black or white does then it creates a divide. All I can say is to ignore the ignorant when they respond in blogs and don't give their respones the time of day and focus on the issues and reasonable arguments.

May 14, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  21. Bob in FL

It's simple, if you come in here and say you will vote for McCain if Hillary loses, you're either a republican troll, or a racist.

I'm voting democratic no matter who the candidate is. Even if someone pulls a King Ralph and Gravell is the nominee.

May 14, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  22. Concerned Democrat

To answer the question of why Clinton supporters would back McCain over Obama when Clinton and Obama have the same beliefs, you fail to take into consideration the moderates in the party. Not everyone is in favor of allowing partial birth abortion (Obama favors legislation allowing partial birth abortion), not everyone is in favor of federal legislation banning concealed weapons (Obama favors federal legislation banning concealed weapons), not everyone thinks that Obama is qualified on the issue of homeland security (Obama has said he would invade Pakistan with or without consent of that country's government to clear out al-Queda), not everyone supports a man who says he is for a better national health care system but is then proud of his wife who serves as the director of a hospital that has been repeatedly fined for patient dumping and has documented cases of charging uninsured poor patients more for health care than insured patients (Obama's wife works for such a hospital), not everyone thinks that the best candidate is the one who promises the most to everyone without spelling out how to pay for those promises, and not everyone thinks that an untried, untested and really an inexperienced senator is the best person to handle this country give the current global state of affairs.

I hope that answers you questions.

May 14, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  23. R.I.F.

STOP SAYING THAT OBAMA BLOCKED MI & FL. YOU ALL LISTEN TO THAT WINBAG LANNY DAVIS TOO MUCH. FIRST FL SCRAPED THEIR REVOTE PLANS ALL BY THEMSELVES. SECOND, THE REVOTE PROPOSAL THAT THE CLINTON'S WERE PUSHING WAS ON THAT HEAVILY FAVORED THEM SO OF COURSE OBAMA WOULD NOT SIGN OFF ON IT. IF YOU WOULD READ YOU WOULD FIND OUT THAT THAT REVOTE ATTEMPT DISINFRANCISEDD VPTERS WHO SAID 'WELL, SINCE OR VOTE WONT COUN ON THE DEMOCRATIC SIDE, I'M GOING TO VOTE ON THE REPUBLICAN TICKET." GIVE IT A REST. READ AD STOP GETTING YOUR FACTS FROM LANNY DAVIS AND HOWARD WOLFSON.

May 14, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  24. senj

I have been an avid viewer of CNN for over 20years, but I am greatly disappointed that CNN is clearly biased in this race, FOX obviously is for McCain nonstop, I expected CNN to be more objective however, the bias reporting is evident. I came from outside of the US and I viewed CNNI and BBC for objective reporting, however, CNN is clearly same as FOX, very biased using choice words to describe charade, yes Clinton won WV, as if we don't know, where does crush come into play. Why didn't you use crush in Colorado, Mississippi, Illinois, Georgia, Maryland, Virginia, and Minnesota where Obama won by over 60%, and remember these were primaries not caucuses. Anyway, CNN has definately disppointed me. Congratulation to HRC for winning WV, however, it is high Dems come together and forge one front so that they (i'm Independent) can crush (?) RNC come November. My message to HRC, you ran a good race unfortunately Obama ran a better strategic race and that is why he is winning. I don't think I will mind Obama/Clinton ticket, but lets wait and see. However, Obama is going to win, Clinton will end up a close second.

May 14, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  25. fred

You Obamanuts are about as radical as your nutty leader!!

Evil Obama and Godzilla his wife will never make it to the White House!!

May 14, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |