May 16th, 2008

Clinton campaign airing a series of positive ads

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/16/art.clinton.ad.parter.jpg caption="Hillary Clinton's campaign released a series of ads Friday.'"]
(CNN)— Hillary Clinton’s campaign released a series of positive ads in Oregon and Kentucky Friday, as the Democratic primary race continued its second straight week without a negative spot.

“What’s Right,” airing in Oregon, stresses her support for universal health care and her opposition to President Bush’s energy bill and No Child Left Behind education policy.

“In Washington, they talk about who's up and who's down,” the announcer says. “In Oregon, we care about what's right and what's wrong. She's been right when it matters… She'll be there when it counts.”

Clinton continues her appeal to the blue collar voters who have overwhelmingly supported her presidential bid with two new Kentucky spots that highlight her image as a fighter for the working class.

“The wealthy and the well connected have had a president. It's time the middle class had a president who will stand up for you,” Clinton says in “Partner.”

The new campaign ads come on the heels of a positive ad released in Oregon Thursday by the American Leadership Project - a pro-Clinton 527 group that had aired anti-Barack Obama ads in Ohio, Texas, Pennsylvania and Indiana. The Obama campaign filed a complaint over the spots with the Federal Election Commission last month.

But the group’s latest ad makes no mention of Obama, instead focusing on Clinton’s positions on energy and job creation. "Gas and food prices are squeezing Oregon families from both ends. Hillary Clinton has the right plan to help,” says the announcer in the 30-second spot.

Since the Indiana and North Carolina primaries May 6, neither Clinton nor Obama have run spots attacking each other, instead running positive ads or focusing their fire on President Bush. Both Clinton and Obama have pledged to support the eventual Democratic nominee.

1. andrew

POST THIS CNN OR I WILL GIVE YOU A CALL!
    HATE HATE HATE HATE
    HATE HATE HATE HATE
    GOD HATES OBAMA
    GOD HATES OBAMA
    GOD HATES OBAMA
    AND OBO FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I stole this from an Obo fan. Why does CNN keep posting the same hate from the same people? You do have to approve the comments, right!

May 16, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  2. Sharon Minnesota

Barack Obama is a blow hard. Speech, Speech, that's all he can do.

Hillary Clinton, please don't demean yourself with these phoney liberal democrats. Your bigger and better than that. Come over to the middle with John McCain and me.

Yea!! John McCain in 08

May 16, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. fred

LMAO musicnme, If you think GW was bad....imagine GW 100 times worse...that is what Obama would be!!!

May 16, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  4. Charlotte

I have to type fast or this will close. Write in Hillary in November, we need her to turn this country around. Don't stay home, write her name on your ballot.

May 16, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. Hillary For President

Hillary is the most amazing candidiate I have seen in many years. She is brilliant, tenacious, strong, courageous, tireless and committed to bringing a better life to hard-working Americans. I am inspired by her strength and energy in the face of mean-spirited comments and the unfair treatment she has received.

She is exactly the type of fighter and do-er that we desperately need in the White House. She has worked tirelessly for our party and has stood up to forces that would have crippled virtually any other person. She is a force of nature and I wish I had even just an ounce of her energy.

I will honor her work, her experience and tenacity by writing her name in on my ballot if she is not the nominee.

She is exactly the person we need in the White House and that is why I am voting for Hillary Clinton in November for President.

May 16, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  6. Natalie

Yay Hillary! I wish she would've stayed positive all along, she'd probably be ahead, and there might not be so much division in the party! Come on Hillary and Obama supporters, let's stand by each other and do what's right for our country! Let's rally around Obama, our nominee!!!

Democrat '08

May 16, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. Charlotte

People have said a write in campaign won't work. That is not true, FDR did not even run for re-election and won a third term because the people wrote his name on their ballot. So don't tell me it won't work. I will not stay home, I will write in Hillary Clinton. I urge all Hillary supporters to cast the vote you really want and write in Hillary Clinton in November

May 16, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  8. Nathen

I know there have been a lot of calls for Obama-Clinton in '08 and most of them have been dismissed, but I as an avid reader of the Political Ticker and a strong advocate for Obama, I must say, as long as she continues this type of rhetoric, I think Obama-Clinton would be unstoppable. There is so much support for both of these candidates that seating them both in the White House to change the future course of the United States just sounds like the best thing to do.

Furthermore, while many Obama supporters feel discontent toward Hilary for her attacks on Obama in recent months, I want to go on record to thank her for her efforts to ensure that no matter what, the strongest candidate wins the democratic nomination. The voters have spoken and Obama is the guy. Let's do it!

May 16, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  9. Go Get 'Em Barack!

Uhhh Clay? I think you're wrong. I'm a white male in my 50's. If my phone rang at 3:00AM and it was Barack asking me to come and work for him, I'd be there by start of business, next day.

May 16, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  10. Hillary Democrat

OBAMANUTS cut it out, we Hillary supporters are not going to the DARK SIDE and vote for Obamaidiot

May 16, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  11. Joe from PA

Thank you. Now we have a real election based on real issues. It is so refreshing to have Hillary out of the race where all you hear about is who’s pastor is worse, and who knows who, and how many shots of Crown Royal she can do, and how the road to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue goes right through the Mediterranean Sea, and how she is a professional bullet dodger, and how she is Rocky’s best friend, and how she grew up in a cottage in 132 US Cities simultaneously, and how her Grandfather worked in every factory in 48 of the 50 states, and how she is more electable with less votes, and how she gets up at 3 am every morning to go to the bathroom and sometimes the phone rings, and how she has all this fancy experience. She will go down in the history books as the most annoying presidential candidate in the history of presidential candidates.
    -It’s on. The real deal.
    – Go Obama
    – Go McCain
    Make me decide which one of you to vote for.

May 16, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  12. hmmm

As someone who started the democratic primaries having no preference for either candidate, but leaning towards hillary because of the name brand, I changed my viewpoint as HRC went increasingly negative on a fellow Democrat. By the time the primary hit my home state of Tx, I was firmly in Obama's corner. While its too late to change my vote (not that I want to), I'm so glad that Hillary has turned her campaign around and figured out that negative campaigning in this year of change is not going to work. I hope she continues the rest of her race in this manner. Thank you Hillary for going positive!

Vote the Issues 08!

May 16, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Look into NOBama's family background and ask youselves if you then want him to be the president. OMG – the man needs to RUN to the jungles of Kenya, where his family is and where he belongs.

May 16, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. susie

Obama looks down at women. He will never get my vote.

May 16, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. Fritz

I am POSTIVE that CNN needs a better spell checker for its headlines. 🙂
    Hopefully this is the beginning of a positive campaign for president and the Democratic Nominee and McCain keep things positive so come November we will be happy about the people we are choosing between rather than frustrated about our two choices.

May 16, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  16. Anonymous

NObama can't run squat! Wake up people. Oh, sorry, I forgot, Democrats are usually asleep at the wheel.

Go McCain!!!

May 16, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  17. Brian

about time she stop the negativity...... We have to cleanse the White House from the Satanist Bush

May 16, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  18. leon

Who cares about Abe we are deciding who will be the next president not a position in dirty Chicago

May 16, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  19. Uncle Sam

Have you heard that Sen. Obama means a third Bush term? Hey, it makes about as much sense as when it's pinned on Sen. McCain. Oh yeah, and I understand that Obama is a warmonger. And senile. Allegedly.

Americans for McCain '08

May 16, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  20. leon

WRITE HILLARY ON THE BALLOT IN NOVEMBER

LET'S GET REAL SOLUTION AND REAL DEMOCRACY TO THIS COUNTRY

May 16, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  21. demwit

i. e... Hillary opposes increasing our energy supplies and educational accountability in order to achieve higher education standards and lower energy costs. No plans or goals, just opposition to proven measures..

May 16, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  22. Debbie,NJ

A negative ad is one in which you attack your opponent (who happens to be in the same party) on a personal level instead of on the issues. But we are beyond this now. I'm glad that she appears to be leaving graciously, except that I don't totally trust her. I read that the Rules Committee is not buying her arguments. The people have voted and that's what counts. I hope Obama finds a female as his running mate also so that women's issues can be heard and not thrown to the side as the first lady's responsibility . I keep asking about Peloski. I think she'll be good. She's tough and she has experience going up against Bush and the fellas. I have a lot of respect for her.

May 16, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  23. Craig T

The only ad she needs to run is that she is dropping out. STOP WASTING MONEY AND THEY EXPECTING PEOPLE TO PAYOFF YOUR DEBTS!!!

May 16, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. Republican in Idaho

It takes real courage to give up something that you have worked so hard for. Hillary Clinton deserves respect for the race she has run. I have a new found respect for her and her ideals. She is willing to give up what she wants to allow the good of the nation to be achieved. Thanks, now that is a true American. I wish the rest of America would follow suit. Don't get angry if your candidate does not win. Remember that we are Americans and we want to secure the future for our children. That is what we should be working for. No president is a magic genie, real progress and change has to start with the individual. What are you doing to make a difference?

May 16, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  25. heartlight 3, Maui, HI

It looks to me like when she had that meeting with the democratic party leaders and superdelegates at her house in Washington, they told her to clean up her act and stop bashing Obama.

May 16, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |