May 16th, 2008

Clinton seems to defend Obama after apparent Bush swipe

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/09/art.clintonindiana.jpg caption=" Hillary Clinton took aim at President Bush Thursday over his overseas comments."] RAPID CITY, South Dakota (CNN) - Hours after President Bush made an apparent swipe at Barack Obama’s foreign policy in a speech to the Israeli Knesset, Hillary Clinton seemed to come to his defense.

“President Bush's comparison of any Democrat to Nazi appeasers is both offensive and outrageous on the face of it, especially in light of his failures in foreign policy,” she told reporters in Rapid City, South Dakota Thursday. “This is the kind of statement that has no place in any presidential address and certainly to use an important moment like the 60th anniversary celebration of Israel to make a political point seems terribly misplaced; unfortunately, this is what we've come to expect from President Bush.

"There is a very clear difference between Democrats and Republicans on foreign policy and that difference will be evident once we take back the White House.

Bush had made a historical parallel between those willing to engage in dialogue with countries like Iran and pre-World War II appeasers. He did not mention any names, but it was widely viewed as an attack on Obama, who has said that move could be part of his foreign policy as president.

Clinton also told reporters she had not spoken with former presidential candidate John Edwards since his Wednesday endorsement of Obama’s White House bid.

“I haven’t talked to him,” she said. “I’ve spoken with Elizabeth Edwards, and she’s a friend of mine and I have a high regard for her. And I think it’s important that she remain a strong advocate and real champion for universal healthcare.”

Both Clinton and Obama had actively sought the support of former North Carolina Senator John Edwards. Elizabeth Edwards, who has not publicly backed a candidate, has spoken positively of Hillary Clinton’s universal health care plan.

1. Gabriel

I am definitely feeling an Obama / Clinton ticket in 08... definitely.

May 16, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  2. Go Blue!

It is apparent that Hillary has seen the light and coming around to the inevitable.

Obama 08

May 16, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  3. John

We need the support of uneducated people. We need them to Vote for McCain AGAINGST their interests. I invest in energy stocks I need gas prices to go UP!!! I can't have a democrat in office! The only way is if these Uneducated Hillary supporters vote for McCain in the fall and help me out!

MCCain all the way in 08 !
    Me all the way to the bank in 08!

May 16, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  4. tim from Ravenna, OH

Where are all the Hillary slamming comments? The Obamaites must have slept in.

May 16, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  5. jd

Well Clinton has no choice, looks like Obama is the one.

May 16, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  6. JFK

Hillary should win this nomination! She deserves the job!

May 16, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  7. John IND

BP- Are we voting for gender,race, religion or the better canidate?

Clinton and all democrats should denounce statements made by the president. The idea that should always be open to discussion with these leaders that are not for a democracy. The USA can not go into other countries and say their customs are wrong because they don't have a Starbucks. Look at the Iraq war, other countries view us are terrorist and they pulled their aid and troops out months ago but we push ahead with out troops, and money beacsue we want Iraq to have a chance at the American dream that isn't being offered in AMerica lets wake up and unite. Take care of home and push peace aboard not war.

May 16, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  8. Dave W.

To Rich –

May 16, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  9. Veronica

As an African-American woman, this is the reason I admire Hillary Clinton. In spite of all the nasty and vicious attacks that she has endured over the years, she is always professional, gracious, diplomatic and a Democratic loyalist. I know some people would not agree, but I have never heard Hillary or Bill state (unlike others) that they "might" not support the Democratic nominee. It is really dispressing to me because she is obviously the most qualified candidate in this race, but will not win because of the "hatred" for Bill Clinton. When I read the blogs, most people that support Obama is voting for him because they "do not like" Hillary (or Bill) It is just so personal and I am saddened at the tone of the comments that people are posting on these blogs. Democrats do not deserve to win in November !!!!!!!!! I cannot even watch MSNBC or CNN anymore because all the commentators did not even try to hide their dislike for Hillary and Bill. MSNBC is especially bad (Mica on Morning Joe, Chris Matthews, K. Olberman, David Shuster). If anything negative is said about Obama, each one of them will quickly point out something negative about Hillary and just dwell on it. It is sometimes comical to watch them. I have lost all respect for Chris Matthews. He is just in LOVE with Obama and his attacks on Hillary (and Bill) are usually personal. This is my last time posting on this blog because after this I am turning off this election completely. Good Luck Democrats.

May 16, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  10. NC voter

Jane L.

LOL... I was thinking the SAME THING

Baby Obama needs Hillary

If he doesn't pick her as VP. then this clintonista will vote mccain

May 16, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  11. Phong Nguyen

Democrats need to be united to win agaisnt the Republicans in November!!! Dream ticket is the way to go!!!

May 16, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  12. Jimmy P

The majority of these Dems are so out of touch – this is what NoBama himself implied. This wacky bunch of fools are far worse than the isolationists of the 30's. Human conflict is inevitable, war will never be obsolete. Pull your heads out of your disillusioned rears. Too much pot and too much academia with no real world practical insight! God help us.

May 16, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  13. rachel

I am sure Obama supporters will come up with some way to say something bad about her, they just cant seem to help themseleves. I bet Elizabeth was a little upset with her husband, but thats okay, let Edwards be the vp, I hope hillary gets senate majority leader.

May 16, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  14. Rob

Any reasonable person that's read or heard comments understands that they weren't directed at Obama, but were instead a statement of proven, long standing policy that's stood that test of time through both democratic and republican administrations for nearly a half century, and that furthermore, they were being delivered in front of a sympathetic audience – the Kinneset. There is an old saying though – if you throw a rock into a pen of pigs, the one that squeals is the one that got hit. Obama's reaction to this is nothing less than childish and demonstrative of his lack of experience in this area.

May 16, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  15. Kelley

Thank you Sen. Clinton, dems unite and make this country what it should be

May 16, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  16. Andrew in VA

Thank you for the good words, Hillary. Now, good bye.

May 16, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  17. NY Independent

This was a very important move on Senator Clinton's part– more important in this upcoming race is the cohesiveness of the Democratic party behind its chosen candidate. I must say I was appalled to hear the polls re the number of Clinton and Obama supporters who would rather vote for McCain than the Dem. nominee.

I say good job Hillary, standing up for your fellow party member against The Idiot, and if I can't vote for you for President I'll move my vote to Barack Obama.

May 16, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  18. sue

United we stand, divided we fall!

Obama for President!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 16, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  19. chad

Obama '08

May 16, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  20. marylee wagerman atlanta,ga

Yesterday, Obama secured the support of 4 superdelegates (Reps. Henry Wexler, Jim McDermott and Howard Berman and Larry Cohen (CWA DNC)), 1 pledged delegate in North Carolina (because of updated vote tallies in the state) and 7 pledged delegates that had previously supported John Edwards. That means that the number for Obama to secure a majority of pledged delegates has gone down from 25 to 17. And the number Obama needs to secure the nomination is 121.5.

May 16, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  21. Minnesota Fats

Its funny that Hillary would decide to defend Obama on this stance now, especially since she has blasted him on it during the entire primary season.

May 16, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  22. don from canada

bp – the last time I checked Nancy Pelosi was a Democrat and a woman in charge as Speaker. Better check your facts a little bitter are you !

Are you voting for a candidate or a gender, shameful.

May 16, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  23. Jackson

Rich:
    P1) Yes, that's true.
    P2) What? How does that even relate?
    P3) The quote is actually "The lady doth protest too much" so no need to quote an improper excerpt but with your stream-of-consciousness-but-lack-of-cohesion argument leads me to believe you neither know nor care.

May 16, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  24. FloridaVoter

Alright Hillary!!!! Her coming to his defense shows a much more better side of her.

May 16, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  25. dhill

doing what is "politically right" huh Hil? Now that you can't win you seem to all of a sudden be opposed to what Bush says-even though for a whole year you thought Obama was looney for wanting to sit down with our enemies.

Same ol Washington politics.

Obama '08