May 16th, 2008

Eight Edwards delegates now moving to Obama

, ,

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/15/art.edwardsobama1.gi.jpg caption="Obama picked up several of Edwards' delegates Thursday."](CNN) – At least six of John Edwards' pledged delegates in South Carolina will throw their support to Barack Obama following Edwards’ endorsement of the Democratic frontrunner, bringing the total number of delegates switching to Obama on Thursday to eight.

One Edwards delegate from Iowa, Machelle Crum, came out for Obama on Thursday morning, as did New Hampshire delegate Joshua Denton. Crum made the decision after receiving a phone call from Edwards supporters encouraging her to make the switch.

In South Carolina, Daniel Boan, Christine Brennan-Bond, Robert Groce, Susan Smith, Mike Evatt and Lauren Bilton - all elected as pledged delegates for Edwards following his third place finish in the primary there on January 29 - announced Thursday they will follow Edwards’ lead and pledge their support to Obama at the Democratic National Convention in August.

John Moylan, the Columbia attorney who directed Edwards’ campaign in the state and is now serving as an alternate delegate for Edwards, appeared on CNN’s “American Morning” Thursday. He stated his support for Obama and hinted that more members of the Edwards delegation would follow later in the day.

“I didn't reach all eight of them, but I can tell you that at least six of the eight are prepared to endorse Senator Obama,” Moylan said this morning.

He added: “I think you will see overwhelming support of John Edwards delegates standing with John Edwards and now standing for Barack Obama.”

Bilton appeared on the show alongside Moylan and confirmed that she, too, is now supporting Obama.

Boan, Brennan-Bond and Groce, all reached by phone or e-mail, confirmed they will switch their commitment to Obama. In a separate e-mail, Moylan said that Smith and Evatt will also move into Obama’s camp.

The remaining two delegates supporting Edwards in South Carolina are Marilyn Hemingway, who told CNN she would continue to support Edwards, and Tim Moore, who said he is waiting until the primary process concludes before deciding whom to back.

Obama had reached out to Edwards' South Carolina delegation even before winning the endorsement of the former North Carolina senator. Last Thursday while in Washington, the Illinois senator arranged a conference call with the delegates to introduce himself and take questions about his campaign

1. Matt

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 15, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  2. b

This is great news. I believe Edwards made the right choice in backing Obama for the Democratic Party.

May 15, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. Chris from NY

Keep on going--–going---and going. There may not have been a blow out but it's been consistent. It may not have been a plane ride but a train ride. Drip, drip and drip. Slow but staedy wins the race. Consistency is God's motto for human success.

Go! Obama

May 15, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  4. Russ C, Seattle, Wa

We are beginning to see how the party will come together around it's candidate. Frankly I am a bit relieved because it was feeling a bit dicey what with backers of both candidates talking about abstaining or voting for McCain. This is definitely not the year to register disapproval in this way.

May 15, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  5. No Hillary

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... this is great news.... this will make up for Hillary's "crushing win" in VA.

Hey Hillary, time to prepare your goodbye speech.

May 15, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  6. v.ananthan

OPEN QUESTION TO EDWARDS..:

YOU DON^T MIND :
    more than 90% of african americans are voting for OBAMA

BUT YOU ARE WORRIED
    Hillary is getting more votes from some white community people...

I am not from the white community but I feel this is not right...

May 15, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  7. tammy

Barack "sweetie" Obama and the media, it's time to treat women equally and have a fair compeitition. If you become our nominee, I can never vote for you cause you haven't been playing fair.

May 15, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  8. Tony Z- MD

Thank you- Edwards and the folks of SC.

May 15, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  9. Monica

This just clarifies the importance of Edwards endorsement for all of the Hillary supporters who have been calling him names and saying who cares that he endorsed Barack.

May 15, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. GREGG LA

OBAMA IS NOW GOING TO ATTEND ON EDWARDS SUNDAY SERVICE

EDWARDS DON'T MATTER BEFORE, HE DON'T MATTER NOW!

May 15, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  11. Sue

As a woman who has worked with men fighting to climb the office ladder, I can tell you, that when it comes to a promotion, 99% of the time, if it is between a man and a woman, the guys will alwas gang up on the female and make sure one of the good old boys gets the job. It's a guy thing, I am sure the gentleman from the South was just doing his duty.

As far as his followers, please hold off and vote at the convention. You had a chance to vote, let the remaining states have a say.

I watch CNN, but when they announced that Edwards would appear, I turned the TV off. It also appears Edwards likes the lime light so I would expect that every day until Obama picks a Vice President, Edwards will look forward to being asked whether he is willing to be VP. Edwards ran once and couldn't get it done for us. He had his turn.

I will put my faith in the woman who is willing to take all you guys on. It is obvious that you can't win unless you all gang up on her.

Thank you Hillary Clinton, you have made me proud and a great example for my 13 year old daughter.

May 15, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. csimp

I am a fat lady and I am singing. It is over Hillary. Now lets work toether to unify the Democrats.

May 15, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  13. Pamela, Chicago, IL

Hillary, we admire your will to continue but please, for the good of the party... STOP! It is time to stop the rhetoric and deluded arguments to continue. The math is not in your favor. Let Sen Obama turn to the general election and win the White House for the Democrats. As you have already stated, a vote McCain is ill advised. But as long as you are making a counter argument against another democrat, that factoid is being lost in the media circus. If you want to preserve any change you have as an elected official in the future, act graciously. The race baiting comments, the mathmatical gymnastics and the constant moving of the goal posts is not doing your reputation any favors. At the start of your campaign, as a woman I was energized and excited, but now I cannot even watch you on TV as you make petty comments and spout unrealistic strategies. Don't block your blessing. Greater things than the White House await you.

May 15, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  14. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

Like McDonalds, "I'm lov'in it!"

YES WE CAN!

May 15, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  15. Norisha

That is amazing.... TO ALL CLINTONITES.....IT"S OVER THE FAT LADY IS SINGING!!!!

OBAMA 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 15, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  16. Ludovic

Now obama is winning even pledge delegates without any primary !!!
    what a lucky guy !

May 15, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  17. JB

Yo, Billary....

"Na-na-NAAAA-NAAAA, na-na- NAAAAA-NAAAAAA.... Hey, hey, hey... GOODBYE."

un-educated NASCAR rednecks and women who love women, lets start to support the next President of the United States, Barack Obama.

May 15, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  18. toni

I dont think his endorsement is going to amount to much. Where was Elisabeth? I find it hard to beleive that Edwards has agreed with Obama on one of his key issues Health care. I know Elisabeth dosent agree. I suspect that Obama will owe HUGE favors to Richardson edwards and the likes. SOUNDS LIKE NEW POLITICS TO ME..gOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU DEMS VOTING FOR OBAMA. I am hoping Clinton runs as independent candiate, but if her loyality prevails her, I will still vote for her in Nov. Even if she isnt the nominee.

May 15, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  19. rich

what was that threshold number of delegates needed.

May 15, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  20. Griff

The Edama for Obama.... Sound's Soapy.

May 15, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  21. Adam C

NO to selfish Hillary!!

May 15, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  22. Lisa

Godd deal.. lets end this thing.... I have nothing against Hillary... but Bush and John McCain are already hitting Dems hard.. its time to stop fighting each other (Dems) and move McSane and No Nothing Bush out of the way......I can't say Bush do not know anything.. he knew just enough to cause catastrophic damage to all of AMERICA....

Impeach Bush now.. he should have been impeached for falsely sending our troops to an unneccssary war...... nothing but debt and higher oil prices came from Iraq..

I M P E A C H B U S H N O W ! !

May 15, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  23. Frank, Missouri

YES-WE-CAN !

Join Us !

May 15, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  24. Michelle, Indiana

Welcome aboard ladies and gentlemen. It's time to focus on the GE so please bring all your delegate friends with you.

May 15, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  25. Lynda

This is a smart thing to do to put in end en this process that seems endlessness.

Go forward people!