May 16th, 2008

Stark endorses Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/16/art.stark.ap.jpg caption="Stark endorsed Obama Friday."] (CNN) - California Rep. Pete Stark became the latest superdelegate to endorse Barack Obama Friday.

Stark, who has represented California's 13th District for 35 years, said Obama has "captured the imagination of Americans in a way we’ve not seen for decades."

“He’s inspired millions of young people to register to vote and join the ranks of our Democratic Party, he’s consistently opposed the war, he advocates universal health care, and he delivers a message that transcends party politics at the same time," Stark also said in a statement released by the Obama campaign. “I have the greatest respect for Senator Clinton and for her many years of service, but I believe the time has come to unify our party.”

By CNN's count, Obama now leads Clinton among superdelegates by 18, 292-274.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Don in Seattle

I think that most everyone posting here is only interested in trashing everyone regardless of what they stand for. This is digusting and only serves to keep CNN and the news agencies in juicy trash talk which they are so good at creating. Get a life people and get behind the Democratic nominee regardless of who that may end up being. Back biting, back stabbing and trash talk should be left to the Republicans. We used to be so much better than that!

May 16, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. maxine montes

If you vote for McCain, just because hill dont win, your hurting your dumb self. just vote rep and stay in a living hell;bite your nose of f and spite your face. maxine montes of yonkers ny.

May 16, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  3. YouthForAmerica

I am beginning to admire the way Hillary is standing up for her party. I wish she had conducted herself in this manner when she was conducting her campaign against Obama. Go Obama 2008

May 16, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  4. James

MillionMan, Washington, DC
    Democrat Yes – (Elitist No – Racist No – only Obama supporters qualify for the later two)
    Actually Hillary had secret service earlier than any candidate since she already had it from being First Lady when this country was good and strong! They all face a threat just by running therefore they are all patriots with that logic..

May 16, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  5. mitchell from arkansaw

time to bow out gracefully,hillary.at least suspend your campaign.that way everyone can still vote,but,we can also begin uniting the party,and the nation,for the fall election.anyone bashing hillary or obama on these blogs,are mostly operatives for rush limbaugh's 'operation chaos',which is still in operation,so don't get caught up ,in their game.the only way the repubs can win ,in the fall,is if they succeed in dividing the party.

May 16, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  6. DR

Again, another person mesmerized by this empty suit. What a laughable comment from a guy who has held office for 35 years: ..."captured the imagination of Americans in a way we’ve not seen for decades."

These people supporting Obama better wake up and realize that you don't elect rock stars president, you elect experience!!!

May 16, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  7. Becky

Democrats unite! Stop the fighting and let's start working together to defeat McCain.

May 16, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  8. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

From now on, until November, let's all of us Democrats do one thing (If you are a Republican, ignore this message – Feel free to vote for McCain – he's your man and I'm not mad at you).

If you support Barack Obama and by some chance he doesn't win the nomination, PLEASE vote for Hillary. I don't agree with everything she stands for, but I'll gladly take her over McCain.

If you support Hillary Clinton and by some chance she doesn't win the nomination, PLEASE vote for Barack Obama. He might be inexperienced, but he's smart, and he'll choose good advisors (most likely including Hillary).

The Republicans complain when a Democrat negotiates with terrorists.

But do you remember Ronald Reagan? Remember when he negotiated with the Iranian terrorists holding the hostages? Well, he negotiated their release upon his inauguration day. Also, remember Iran-Contra? If not, google it.

The Republicans are full of (I'll keep this one clean) MALARKEY!

Let's focus on what's important. I no longer care about Hillary's sniper fire incident. I also don't care about Rev. Wright. He's not going to end the Iraq war. But either Hillary or Obama will.

Do you want your sons and daughters coming home in body bags? If so, then ignore this message.

But be careful who you vote for. You just might get them!

May 16, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. Jen-Louise

These terms Elitist, blue collar, working man, how do they really fit into politics. Voting for the guy you want to have a beer with just makes no sense to me. I do not want to have a beer with my president I want him working. I do not want a president who speaks the working mans language. I want a president who understands the working mans plight and uses the elitist language to push those perspectives through congress. I want someone who sounds intelligent when they are addressing the nation and the global community. We get so caught up in non issues that we forget that this is nit a popularity contest it is the hardest job in the world and we need the best possible candidates to fill it. Stop voting for the guy you want as your friend and vote for the guy who can lead.

McCain has had how many years in politics and exactly what change has he provided us. Hillary has had how many years in the Senate and did she not fail to provide what she promised New Yorkers millions of jobs that never materialized? Isn’t it time for something new, something DIFFERENT- someone who has shown by words and deeds that the old politics of yesterday are no longer accepted by America? People please remember we are voting for how our country is run over the next 4 years. Do not allow these non issues to cloud your judgment. Vote for the guy who has you in mind

Obama/Hillary/ or ANY OTHER DEM 08

May 16, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  10. Andy

I am in complete agreement with millionman. All of those people that say that they are going to vote for McCain if Obama gets the nomination are just upset that Hillary in all likelihood will not get the nomination. Hillary and Obama have the same viewpoint on numerous issues and they greatly differ with McCain. So when you use your vote for McCain because you're not done eating your sour grapes and he becomes president and doesn't represent your views at all and you still upset by the economy and the war, then you will have no one but yourselves to blame. We need a Democrat in the White House whether it be Clinton or Obama. I personally would rather have it be Obama, but I will without a doubt vote for Hillary Clinton in November if that's the way the process plays out. I would hope that most of my Democrat friends would have the sense to do the same.

Any Democrat in 08!

May 16, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  11. OBAMA 4 President

Its time for Democrats to start to Unite, let the healing begin.

I support Obama, but I commend Hillary for her tenacity. She has raised women's issues, poverty, etc to a national level. THANK YOU HILLARY!

Obama 08!

May 16, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  12. JJ

I'm glad he's not endorsing hairpieces for men. They obviously don't work. Maybe his judgement is as poor as his eyesight...

May 16, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  13. Real Change

***********ATTENTION CLINTON SUPPORTERS**************

Please see the comments by "Fred."
    This is what you sound like...okay

May 16, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  14. Super Dummys

1900= 125 TO GO

May 16, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  15. b4change

I willingly admit that this is the first election in decades that I have paid close attention to. (I am a middle aged, white, catholic female.) Though I have always considered myself a Democrat, I was never involved enough, listening enough, reading enough to make an informed decision. This year I am. I have supported Obama since February and feel stronger about him everyday. I have never liked HRC. HOWEVER, I would vote for her if she was the candidate because I honestly believe that our country needs to NOT continue with a Republican White House. As other blogs/posts suggest, it is not just one person (Obama, Clinton) who make up an administration. Whomever is elected will be the leader of a team. That team needs to be Democrat in order for real change to occur. Bickering within our party, and on these blogs, is counterproductive to what our country needs. People need to take a deep, deep breath and THINK about what is best for our country overall. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face!

DEMOCRATS UNITE!

May 16, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  16. Go Get 'Em Barack!

We are at a pivotal moment in US history. We have, serving at this time, the worst president in modern times, and probably in the entire history of this country. Fortunately, he is leaving us soon. Unfortunately, John McCain, who carries the same values and the same politics as the current president, has a chance of continuing the Bush policies for 4 more years.

It is time to think with your head, not your heart. It is disappointing that Hillary probably won't get the nomination, but the Democratic Party needs you. Do not vote for John McCain out of spite for Hillary's loss.
    Do not write in Hillary's name (write ins NEVER work on the national scale). Vote Democratic. Save our country!!!!

May 16, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  17. Get Real

The simple answer to the question "why would amy Democrat write Clinton or McCain" or the statement "I will write in Hillary!" is that these are Republicans, They are simply trolling for fools who really think that this might be a solution.
    Anybody who would do either is basically an idiot. The "I will write in Hillary" folks are the biggest idiots since they might as well write in "Mickey Mouse" for all the good it does...its just another spoiled ballot!

May 16, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  18. La Raza.

To Million Man,

It appears that these are Hillary supporters, in reality they are republicans "hiding" as Hillary supporters who will vote McCain if not Hillary. They are tricky and sneaky but clever. They really fear Obama.

May 16, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  19. Andy

And can someone tell me what Obama has done to get so much hate from the Clinton supporters. Please don't say that it is because of what his supporters say in these comments and not what the man himself has done.

May 16, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  20. Ken

OK, Hillary supporters, if you want to continue to give the knee-jerk conservatives a good laugh, then keep on saying you'll vote against everything your candidate stands for. Why are you so militant in your support? Is it because of What she is and not Who she is? That's how most conservatives think, isn't it? She wants the same change as Obama, but you seem to have the same misguided knee-jerk reactions to him as our countryfolk on the right. As a democrat, I'd like to suggest that my fellow party members rise above their disappointment that Hillary won't be president this year, and get down to the business of electing people that can fix our government. If you are among the 72% (latest count) of people who disapprove of the job the president is doing, then act like it.

May 16, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  21. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

CC, Chicago:

I agree. I also support Obama, but we need to be more civil. We need to disagree without being nasty. I hope others take your advice.

May 16, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  22. Kristopher

It will be a sad day for the Democratic Party when Barack Obama gets the nomination...

But

As for the many Republicans, inluding myself, will rejoice that the weaker candidate got the nomination.

It will bring us one step closer to keep the Republican vision strong.

John McCain for President 2008

May 16, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  23. lamin

This is amazing. I am happy, very happy to witnness or be a part of history.

May 16, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  24. Linned

The Democratic bloggers are onto the Republicans pretending to be Democrats trying to divide us. Sorry, it won't work. Did Rush Limbaugh tell you to do it?

May 16, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  25. One America

People that say they will not vote for OBAMA were not going to vote for him anyways so stay home. Stop blogging and leaving hate filled messages. It is time for America to move forward and reclaim it's position in the world community. MANY PEOPLE IN AMARICA ARE SO SIMPLE MINDED, WHICH ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO ARE SCARED OF THE FURURE. CHANGE IS INEVITABLE..... GET OVER IT....

OBAMA 08.... IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME BUT CHANGE IS COMING....

May 16, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |