May 16th, 2008

Stark endorses Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/16/art.stark.ap.jpg caption="Stark endorsed Obama Friday."] (CNN) - California Rep. Pete Stark became the latest superdelegate to endorse Barack Obama Friday.

Stark, who has represented California's 13th District for 35 years, said Obama has "captured the imagination of Americans in a way we’ve not seen for decades."

“He’s inspired millions of young people to register to vote and join the ranks of our Democratic Party, he’s consistently opposed the war, he advocates universal health care, and he delivers a message that transcends party politics at the same time," Stark also said in a statement released by the Obama campaign. “I have the greatest respect for Senator Clinton and for her many years of service, but I believe the time has come to unify our party.”

By CNN's count, Obama now leads Clinton among superdelegates by 18, 292-274.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. dmw: you are nut case.

Hillary is every bit if not more liberal than Obama. Try educating yourself a little bit. You show nothing but ignorance.

May 16, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  2. Independent

Thank you Rep. Stark. We are delighted to have you on board. I just saw Obama in S. Dakota, and he hit Bush and McCain with every FAILURE in foreign policy. It was great. Bring it on McCain! Obama 08!

May 16, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  3. Chris C from Florida

Welcome aboard Mr Stark!

Wow im still amazed idiots posting they'd vote for mccain if hillary looses... i wonder if thats the same republicans that go to the race to vote for hilary to keep the race running...

people missed the part where theirs 250k or so registered dems in WV.. but over 300k voted for the primary...

also you notice... everyone on CNN comments claims to be a democrat except for the few "democrats for mccain"

such bullcrap

May 16, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  4. The Truth

Stark is an idiot. Go Hillary. Don't forget it is 2210 delegates. I think McCain ought to start calling Florida and Michigan and stating the Democrats don't like you but I love you. Vote Hillary or McCain.

May 16, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  5. raf

Voting for Mccain out of grudge is simply the only way to allow Bush having his word to say in the white house, even after everyone thinks we finally got rid of him!

Please use common sense democrats, as most of those hate posts are viciously made by neocons and Limbaugh's garbage followers.

Democrats 08

May 16, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  6. Kel from Auburn AL

How many endorsements has Sen. Clinton had recently? Less than five? Any at all?

May 16, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  7. Chris C from Florida

Edwards doesnt want VP.. he wants Attorney General and thats where he belongs to straighten out that position finally!

May 16, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  8. Eli

LORD what happen to the will of the people in CA. I think there is a double standard on this WILL OF THE PEOPLE. I think the 17 million that has voted for HILLARY needs to stand up and say if she is not on this ticket somewhere we will vote another way. HEY maybe even get her to run independent. She would not win that way but neither would he. I feel this way because I think the party HEADS have done Hillary wrong , they have covered and softened Obamas baggage.

May 16, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  9. bho

Too bad, Edwards didn't listen to his smarter half. You're welcome, John McCain.

May 16, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  10. Proud1of 26% in WV

It's kinda funny Hillary has the second biggest win of her campaign and will finish the week with a big net loss in delegates.John Edwards really rained on her parade.She might win Kentucky big tuesday but his big win in Oregon will cancel that out also.Big win for her Peurto Rico,South Dakota rules it out.Then no matter who wins Montana ,He is the winner!!! Any Hillary supporter that insists on voting for McCain keep in touch with the Red Cross so you can send cards to famalies of soldiers killed after you vote.

May 16, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  11. Raz

Thank You.

Obama 2008 and 2012

Raz

May 16, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  12. Brattleboro, VT

Marilana!

What a poor judgement!!!!

May 16, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  13. jeanise

everyone has one vote thank you for this endorsemtn i wish that it was over we have somuch mending to do in our own party there are some who would and will not vote for senator obama if we want to contimue the way we are going as a country then you can hold your vote the replublicans have already started the guns, gays and religion not because of v

May 16, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  14. MB

It is time for a change. Elect a woman if you want something done and done right.
    Go HILLARY! She is getting thrown under the carpet by the men in the suits. Give her 8 years to straighten the mess out then let the kid come in.

May 16, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  15. Tam

I don't understand why some Clinton supporters say that they'd rather vote for McCain than Obama. Does that mean that their support for Clinton has nothing to do with her policies? Logically, it must mean that, which I find irrational.

May 16, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  16. Dray

If you dont vote now (Obama) Don't complain later !

May 16, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  17. Jamaal Kansas

Hillary supporters why are you commenting on an Endorsement for Obama if you don't Like him get off this thread! And to all you Hillary Supporters that won't back Barack WE DON"T CARE Hillary is a Liar an Oviously You Like to Be Lied to so Stay Home or Vote for Mcsame it will not make me Cry we will win in November With Or Without you.

May 16, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  18. Geoff Jackson

Dream Ticket: Democrat, Barack Obama and Republican, Chuck Hagel

May 16, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  19. John l Bagueux-Scott

let's go. ready for a joint ticket. /Obama-Clinton or Obama -Edwards 2008

May 16, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  20. slkuea

This has not been a fair competition so I will either stay home or will write Hillary on the ballot if Obama is the norminee.

May 16, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  21. LINDA,FL

Well.
    I am not young – 55.
    But still inspired.
    It is hard to inspire me, Mom, who lost her son, who was just 25.
    I am still inspired.
    I am inspired for the future Young Boys, who would not die in Iraq soon, very soon.
    I am inspired, that there ARE ways the country will improve.
    I am inspired, that Great Country would get Great President, whos major word is not I, but WE.
    I want to beincluded to this we.
    I want to do my best for better future, I do believe.

And very simple: every time he got victory – it is so exciting, I am coming to my jobexcited and want and do all my best to perform it the best way possible.

I am telling myself "Yes we Can" and I can do the hardest job around my backyard. Cause – Yes, we can – this is so Human,so natural.
    Very down to the Earth – Yes we can in all senses possible.
    Great Nation , Yes it can to do the best one for generations to come.
    Just do Your best – yes, we can !

May 16, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  22. Nathan

With Obama and his record setting tax plan, My family and I will vote republican. Democrats take you check and take a 1/3 out of it. Thats what your income will be if Obama is elected. I have been a democrat but will cast my vote for McCain.

May 16, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  23. mjc

stark – what a stupid thing to say. IMAGINATION? who needs THAT. we need REALTY. and the reality is that this KID CAN NOT BEAT MCCAIN. get real, moron.

and, by the way, YOUR STATE WENT TO CLINTON. so obama's argument on the SD's following the 'will of the people' is BOGUS... just like him. empty suit.

May 16, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  24. carl from Houston

It's a done deal, and Hillary is not going to be the VP either, We're moving into a new and younger era. The old farts have missed this country up,let's give the younger folk a chance,after they are the one risking their lives to fight the war..

May 16, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  25. Chuck, Democrats United We Stand

For all of you that say you will not vote, or that you will vote for McCain because your candidate did not win are only hurting yourself in the long run. To take such a stand is a cop out. Positions like that is exactly why this country is so divided. Have any of you in this group of people ever heard of a pen and paper, or word processing soft ware?
    Sit down, write a letter, make you position known, outline your issues, provide background and possible solutions (its called problem solving). I have on several occasions done just that, not everything was solved to my satisfaction although some were. It is a process you have to take, its called becoming involved and active. Write your congressperson or senator or state legislature. If you do nothing then you have no ground to stand on while crying or fussing about what ever it is that bothers you. Think about it.

May 16, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |