May 19th, 2008

Clinton cites Karl Rove as reason to stay in

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/19/art.clinton.5.19.jpg caption="Hillary Clinton campaigns in Kentucky Monday ahead of the states primary."]
PRESTONSBURG, Kentucky (CNN) – Hillary Clinton defended her reasoning for staying in the presidential race Monday afternoon by pointing out that Karl Rove's analysis shows her to be the strongest candidate against John McCain in November.

“There has been a lot of analysis about which of us is stronger to win against Sen. McCain, and I believe I am the stronger candidate,” said Clinton, repeating a line from her stump speech.

Then she veered from her usual argument.

“Just today I found some curious support for that position when one of the TV networks released an analysis done by – of all people – Karl Rove, saying that I was the stronger candidate,” said Clinton. “Somebody go a hold of his analysis and there it is.”

Clinton was referring to electoral maps drawn up by Karl Rove’s consulting firm that were obtained by ABC and forecast her currently leading McCain in the electoral college by 53 votes (259-206), while Obama trails McCain by 17 (238-221)

270 electoral votes are needed to win November’s election.

Clinton continued to push for Florida and Michigan’s delegates to be seated but said that even if that happens, the race won’t be over.

“Once we include Florida and Michigan, neither Sen. Obama nor I will have enough delegates to get the nomination so there is no way that this is going to end any time soon because we’re going to keep fighting for the nomination.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Michael

And you believe Karl Rove, I taught you were smarter than that.

May 19, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  2. owen

Hillary has really lost her bearing and her marble. The office of the president is not your inheritance.

May 19, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  3. ki-jana carter

Hillary, just go ahead and make your switch to the GOP complete. You have shifted your entire position to try to win white, racist, southern, poor, uneducated, toothless hill people who cling to their guns. You basically are a republican anyways, in all but name. Just get it over with so we don't have to deal with you anymore. And take all your racist supporters with you, we don't need their bitterness.

May 19, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  4. D.

This is a laughably poor reason.

May 19, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. Obama 08

She gets Rove's endorsement and Barack gets two Alaskan superdelegates...that is FIVE today!!!!!

May 19, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. Yankee Dog

Billary/Rove – a perfect match. Good God America – enough is enough! Can't we please get past this psychodrama that is the Clinton grip on Democrat politics and move on to a more stable, honorable, truthful, honest, connected, hopeful, promising (did I say truthful) candidate that is Obama!

May 19, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. zorba

To even mention that horrible, evil man's name in connection with any reasoning to stay in the race is absolutely deplorable. I love Hillary.
    Why has she made so many stupid mistakes during her campaign? If you want to know what a person is going to be like as president, watch how they run their campaign. That's why, with sadness as a woman, but with hope as a human, I am voting for Obama.

May 19, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. UNITE

UNITE OR IMPLODE!

USE YOUR BRAIN.

May 19, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. Heidi

it is so sad to me how the obama supporters (who are supposedly so "educated") often ignore the REAL analysis (it's not about Rove – it's about a little something called THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE and who will win it! This analysis was done FOR Rove, not BY Rove) in favor of ridiculous personal attacks and empty rhetoric. I am a democrat, and I am ashamed of my party and at this point feel they deserve to lose in the Fall. This election was handed to them gift wrapped, and they choose to run the unelectable candidate over the electable one.

May 19, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  10. Bri

HMMMM,SOUNDS SUSPICIOUS TO ME. WOULDN'T IT BE CRAZY IF HILLARY JUMPS SHIP TO BECOME MCCAIN'S VEEP . SHE'S DESPERATE ENOUGH AND I DON'T THINK OBAMA WANTS HER ON HIS TICKET. STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED.

May 19, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  11. R. Brown

Wow Wow Wow...... Wow....... just Wow.......

This woman is absolutely nuts. She's taking advice from Karl Rove now?

Clinton/Bush '08

May 19, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  12. AB

I cannot believe that Sen Clinton would use Karl Rove as a reason for staying in the campaign. I am now in the Obama camp.

May 19, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  13. Dan, TX

??????????????

May 19, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. mary

You know, just read next article.

May 19, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  15. Martie -- Los Angeles, CA

Did she ever think that Rove said that because the Republicans want her in the race, because in fact they feel McCain is more likely to beat her?

May 19, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  16. Voice of Reason

Are you really that desperate Hillary? Yeah, I BET Rove wants you in this thing until the convention – so does Limbaugh, O'Reilly, and the rest of the Right-wing, Redneck, Narrow-minded and Bullet-Headed AM-Radio mouthpieces for the GOP.

Heck, they really want Kucinich back in the race so they can taunt him about UFOs! They're hoping Lyndon Larouche will win the Dem nomination! They're still trying to find a way to get ANYBODY but Obama on the ticket, 'cause they know that McSame hasnt got a chance against him.

Puh-leese!

May 19, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  17. goodcitizen

Money can NOT buy people's heart. Elite doesn't need a president, average americans do.
    Puppet Obama will never win average american's heart.

Hillary is real gold, she shines forever!

Go Hillary, millions of your supporters stay with you all the way!

May 19, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  18. fred

Go Hillary...Rove will tear Obama a new one!!! I really can't wait!!

May 19, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  19. Neelam

what about todays Gallup poll that suggests "Obama holds a 16-point lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton" ? The clear messege for Hillary from democrats all around the country is that they already started rallying behind IL senator.
    who is Carl Rove by the way?

May 19, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  20. Becky

Since I Just came from Church yesterday, I will let this slide!! who listens to Rove? grrrrrrrrrrr... let me stop here,

May 19, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  21. Geoff

Karl Roves wants Hillary as the nominee...because he knows Obama is so much more difficult to beat!

May 19, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  22. JJ-Orlando

If I had millions of corporate and lobbyist dollars, I would move to China and run for Kung Fu leader and vote democrat, at least there my vote may count. In retrospect, I will be crying because Mc Cain's gonna win. Ouch, see we're gonna go republican if the primary vote will not count here in FL.

May 19, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  23. barbara

Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh, John McCain – all seem to want Hillary to become the Democratic nominee. Wonder why?

PS Hillary: see the next article "Obama opens up biggest lead ever over Clinton". If you'd be the strongest candidate in the general election, why can't you win the primary?

May 19, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  24. rick lorch

Yes Hillary...but remember Rove would love nothing more you and Obama to "cat fight" each other to the bitter end. He feels you ar both beatable.

May 19, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  25. Phillip

Oh yeah, Hillary. Karl Rove, one of the great minds of our time.

Just goes to show you, Hillary will say anything- she will even tell people to listen seriously to Karl Rove- if she thinks it will make you vote for her.

May 19, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |