May 19th, 2008

Clinton has big lead in Kentucky, Obama on top in Oregon

Clinton and Obama each hold leads in Tuesday's voting states.

Clinton and Obama each hold leads in Tuesday's voting states.

(CNN) - A new CNN "poll of polls" shows Hillary Clinton holds a big lead in Kentucky while Barack Obama is on top in Oregon - the next two states to weigh in on the Democratic presidential race.

According to CNN's analysis of several recent polls from both states, Clinton holds a 30-point lead in Kentucky while Obama is up by 10 in Oregon.

In Kentucky, Clinton is winning 58 percent of the vote while Obama is at 28 percent. Kentucky has a broad swath of working class white voters - the demographic that has long supported Clinton and propelled her to a 41-point victory in West Virginia one week ago. Her large margin in Kentucky appears to indicate those voters are sticking with Clinton, even as Obama appears to be the presumptive Democratic nominee.

In Oregon, Obama is winning 50 percent of likely Democratic voters there while Clinton is at 40 percent. With a large population of young voters and those who are college-educated, that state has demographics that have long favored Obama's candidacy.

Oregon is conducting a vote-by-mail primary, which means that a large number of voters in that state have already cast their ballots.

In Kentucky, 51 delegates are at stake while 52 are up for grabs in Oregon. It remains impossible for Clinton to catch Obama in pledged delegates, but the New York senator is looking to catch Obama in the popular vote total.

For more on the latests polls, check out the CNN Election Center

1. Ken

It doesn't matter anymore.

May 19, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  2. Paul

Am I missing something? 58% minus 38% = a 20 point lead.

May 19, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  3. Paul

never mind. my eyes are playing tricks on me.

May 19, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  4. california voter

Obama appears to be the presumptive Democratic nominee to no one but himself, his supporters, and the press.

May 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  5. Uncle Sam

What qualifies a person for the presidency?
    Should it be how much one desires it?
    Or how much one has sacrificed for one's country?

Americans for McCain '08

May 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  6. Ed, Santa Fe NM

YAWNSVILLE.... So big woo. Shrillary wins KY and gains nothing toward the nomination.... I wish she'd shut her yap and go away. She'll lose big in OR.

May 19, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  7. Terry in Fl

The taxpayers of this country are STILL supporting Hillary because we know who can get the job done. Since we are the ones paying the salary, we should have a say in the hiring process. As a democratic taxpayer from Florida who had no say, I resent some yuppie students in Oregon getting to hire our leader.
    That's Okay. In November, I WILL have a say. And I say NO OBAMA!

May 19, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  8. David

Why would Clinton supporters chose to vote for McCain over Obama? this makes no sense at all. Lets just put it out there because we all know its true, and thats if Obama was white, then he'd have won WVA and he'd be ahead in kentucky right now. People vote based off the dumbest things. If Obama were to lose to Hillary, there is no way that most Obama supporters would vote for McCain. Its just like that SNL skit

May 19, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  9. Caryn, Washington DC

Enjoy your last days campaigning Hillary.

Obama '08

May 19, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  10. skyjuice

This woman is stubborn.

OBAMA 08'/12'

May 19, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  11. Joe

Oregon will pretty much make it a done deal for wrapping up the nomination for Obama. Hilary fought a good fight, but it's over. If she's banking on getting huge amounts of delegates from Florida and Michigan primaries, she's wasting her time. If she thinks the superdelegates are going to rescue her, it's not gonna happen. She will be great at campaigning for Obama, though. And since she's always been my number 2 choice for President, it wouldn't break my heart to see her on the ticket as the V.P.

May 19, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  12. Linda

To paraphrase, it's not over until the lady in the pants suit says it;s over - and more power to her!

May 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. Richard Sattich - Georgetown Ky.

Uh, the difference between 58 and 38 is 20 not 30.
    Can you change that please? Jesus!

May 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  14. Susan

Do we really care about these remaining contests? Regardless of how much the Clinton camp wants us to care, regardless of how they parse the numbers, regardless of the rhetoric, Hillary is not going to be the nominee. It is over. Finito.

Florida and Michigan will not be seated as her highness would like. Although difficult to believe, it's not all about Hillary, it's about the future of Democratic primaries and the rules of the DNC.

Is it June 4th yet? I have absorbed all the lies I can take, I think.

May 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  15. A New Mexican

I am sick and tired of hearing threats about if Hillary doesn't win what her supporters are going to do. She isn't going to win so if you want to support a republican who has a foreign policy that mirrors Bush then so be it but accept the fact that if we are still in Iraq for years to come on possibly in Iran that was YOUR choice for America.

May 19, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  16. Tony - DC

If the superdelegats had any guts they would give the nomination to the one with the popular vote, the most votes and the one who can beat McCain in November, but since the Democratic Party is not know for that, when Obama loses to Mc"Bush" they will ahve no one to blame but themselves, AGAIN!

May 19, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  17. Richard Sattich - Georgetown Ky.

nevermind.

May 19, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  18. Tony - DC

If the superdelegats had any guts they would give the nomination to the one with the popular vote, the most votes, and the one who can beat McCain in November, but since the Democratic Party is not known for that, when Obama loses to Mc"Bush" they will have no one to blame but themselves, AGAIN!

May 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  19. dawson from Markham, Canada

I was talking to my 81 year old Dad in India this morning and was watching CNN as I was talking to him. His comment about US politics blew me away. He said the next US President would be Obama. I wondered how he knew so much about US Politics and was astonished by impact Obama had made around the world. Obviously the world has already started looking at Obama as being ready for the "Most powerful Position in the World".

May 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  20. Pat

I am not sure who I will vote for this year. I do know this, if I were Bill Clinton, I would not be saying all the negitive things which I have heard him say. If I had sat and lied to the American people about having an affair with some other woman like he did, I think I would keep my mouth shut. At one time I would have voted fo r him even though he did sat and lie about his affair. He just got caught and he was trying to (like most of us would do) deny it but with his recent comments I would have to think now about voting for him. I know he is not running or that he cannot again but I feel like if Hillary gets in we will have Bill running this country again . Also with the both of them taking things from the White House like they were accused of, why does people want them back in, so they can have another chance of getting it again??

May 19, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  21. Barbara

The people who vote for Hillary Clinton are G. Bush-democrats not Reagan-democrats. They elected G.W. Bush and their preference for Clinton is not surprising. The people elect and deserve their government, this is a democracy.

May 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  22. R.I.F.

Sharon Minnesota
    Hillary or McShame
    Terry in Fl
    fred
    Bayou Joe
    Jack
    Tom
    Gary
    Sheila
    An American in Canada

Everyone, please ignore these people. They are about as much as a democrat as Rush Limbaugh. They spew hate on every single blog including the one about the health of a long time democrat Ted Kennedy. If that's not evidence that they are not true democrats then I don't know what is. They continue to say that they are life long democrats and if not Hillary then McCain, but they are liars. They are not democrats and if they are then we don't need them and their hate in this party. They laugh at the Huckabee joke and then make fun of Kennedy's health? They use talking points that are only used on fixnews, Sean Hannity, and ultra conservative hate websites. Again, they are republicans drumming up fear and stirring the pot. Of course they are going to say that I'm lying but go back and check some of the old blogs and also listen carefully to what they say. Sharon Minnesota even gave George Bush a compliment on the ticker that was up last week about Jenna Bush's wedding. What democrat has something nice to say about Bush? Get LOST!!!

May 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  23. JB

To all of you bitter Clinton fans:

This is not a sporting event. You don't root for the team that knocked your team out. It is about positions on issues. There is no doubt that Clinton and Obama share similiar thoughts on the issues.

So, when you say "I am staying home or voting for McCain", all you do is prove that it is a popularity contest for you. Further identifying your stupidity.

If you agree with Clinton's policies, I wuld hope you think those policies would be best for the country. If that is the case then, Obama would b the next best option. Not McCain.

Stop being babies, grow up and do what is best for the country. You spiteful immature crybabies!

May 19, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  24. Larry Buchas

I disagree with Barack's decision not to campaign in West Virginia & Kentucky. Each of these states should not be left out. The Obama supporters must feel disappointed.

We still need to reconcile our party differences before the convention.

May 19, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  25. Johnny McCain

I guess Hillary leads the redneck demographic. Maybe her politics of fear mongering will do wonders for Barrack when he's in the general election against McCain. Way to go Hil. Your party has a shot and you are diminishing it. Stay in it to win it (for McCain!)

May 19, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |