May 20th, 2008

Analysis: Can't discount role of voter affluence, education

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/05/20/obama.general.election/art.obama.gi.jpg caption=" Sen. Obama is favored in Oregon's Democratic primary."]
(CNN) - At first glance, the expectations game in Tuesday's Democratic primaries could appear counterintuitive.

Kentucky has a much higher percentage of African-American residents (7.3 percent) than Oregon (2 percent), yet Sen. Hillary Clinton is favored to win big in Kentucky, and Sen. Barack Obama is the heavy favorite in Oregon.

Why?

Full story

1. Jessica from OKC

David, those educated people who have "two cars and health care all taken care of" tend to have to PAY OFF COLLEGE LOANS. If anything, the uneducated (as in, not college educated) workers have less to worry about. They don't have to pay back thousands of dollars just to earn an education!

May 20, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  2. J.S.

I am going to stop writing negativity. I admit that I have been guilty of doing so once caught up in the moment, the fervor, and the heated atmosphere of this campaign for the Democratic nomination. I’ve made statements which generalize a group of people that were unfair, ignorant, false, and couldn’t be further from the truth once I paused and remembered my own experience completing my studies in the Midwest of the U.S. There I met many good people who welcomed me into their places of business, their community activities, and even their homes because of a mutual trust that we in fact shared many of the same core values in our lives and for our loved ones; even though we weren’t of the same race and our biographies and histories were very different – people who couldn’t be closer to Hillary Clinton’s voter base of working Americans. I speak to the other Barack Obama supporters who are quick and vocal in their disdain yet quiet in their desire for meaningful dialogue with supporters of Hillary Clinton. Please think before you post, as I wish that I did because the true battle will be for the White House next November, and neither Barack Obama nor Hillary Clinton will win if Democratic voters aren’t united whet it comes time to cast their vote.

May 20, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. FedUpDem

OneWhoCares May 20th, 2008 11:57 am ET

Janey, Clinton and McCain both are a lot more affluent and further removed from the the average American than Obama. They have also been playing the "game" longer. This is why they were able to put the 'affluent' label on a Black American who did well for himself, bought up poor by his single mother and grand parents. I mean think about it. You'd have to be a master b-artist to make that stick. But one thing is clear, people who have the hardest time tend to be angrier in general. Any black American can tell you that poor white communities tend to have more racist then more affluent ones. That fact only shocked the racist.
    ********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Any non black American will tell you that the most racist people in their daily lives are black. That fact shocks absolutely no one.

May 20, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  4. precious

The future has already been written, the only difference is that we haven't seen it, or lived through it as yet. So no matter how many votes are casted, no matter who many speeches are given, no matter how many stones are thrown, the bottom line is that we cannot stop destiny, because only one person is in control, and that is GOD. Always remember that "looks are deceiving", and "no one is perfect", and "NOTHING JUST HAPPEN". Always, be ready for what the future holds. Learn to "stand still" and "see the salvation of the Lord". We are already divided, and no one will ever change that. There is only one world, made up of many.

In God We Trust.

May 20, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  5. Sissie in NC

I guess everyone heard that fat lady singing expect Billary and their supporters. You people amaze me, the way you deny racism being a part of the voting process when people admit this stuff. They say it out of their own mouths, this simply isn't just speculation.
    News Flash.....those same bigots who are racists are sexist too and when it comes down to it they will vote for the white man before the white lady........

May 20, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. Sheila

I am a college educated, white woman in her 30's. I voted for Hillary because I think she is the person for the job. Obama is just an "empty suit". Exactly what are his plans? Oh, wait, I know-"Change". That's all he says blah blah blah.
    Unfortunately, Obama will probably get the nomination. So we know what that means-Hello President McCain!
    I never voted for George Bush. I realized the country must be full of idiots to elect him twice! Those same idiots will be voting for McCain.
    All of the bitter people who are clinging to their guns and their religions will be voting for McCain. Yes, some people will vote against Obama because he is black. Yes, some people will vote against him because his name is Barack Hussein Obama. Others will vote against him because of things his acquaintences said/done. Even his wife has said some things that show she would not be a good first lady.
    I think the only reason that Obama has won so many primaries is this: McCain supporters are voting for the weaker democratic candidate.
    Obamabots are going to be *shocked* when McCain slaughters him in the general election!

May 20, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |