May 20th, 2008

Clinton fights on, Obama returns to Iowa

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/05/20/primary.wrap/art.split.candidates.ap.jpg caption=" Obama campaigned in Montana Monday while Clinton campaigned in Kentucky the day before the state's primary."]
(CNN) - It's all about location, location, location.

Sen. Hillary Clinton will spend Tuesday night in Kentucky to celebrate what's expected to be a big win in that state's primary. But Sen. Barack Obama won't be in Oregon, even though he's favored to win that state's contest Tuesday.

The Illinois senator will appear at a rally in Iowa, where he kicked off the primary season with a January 3 caucus win - a victory that helped propel him to Democratic front-runner status.

Iowa is also a swing state - one President Bush won by just 10,000 votes in 2004, and one the Democrats would love to win this November.

Obama told reporters Sunday that visiting Iowa "was a terrific way to kind of bring things full circle."

Full story

1. Darrell

I am from Florida and I am a democart that has voted my entire life Democrat unless the DNC counts Florida's Vote and we are the 4th largest State in the Union the Majority of the Democrats will not fall in line at the Convention if we are not counted then the Staate will go Republican. At this time every Democrat I know is going to Vote for McCaine. Wake Up Howard Dean Wake Up DNC wake up OBama what are you afraid of by not letting our votes count. We are the 4th Largest State in the Union and our Voice and Vote will be heard and Cast in November and you can not take that away from us

May 20, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  2. Obama 08

Wow AJ, were blacks ruining the party when we voted (majority) for Clinton NOT once but TWICE!!!!!!!! As long as we "stay in our place" then things are fine in your mind. Well I have news for you we are NOT on the plantation anymore and we can vote for whoever we want to vote for be it Hillary, McCain or Barack. Barack is no more arrogant than anybody else whoever ran for President. I guess what you really want to say is he is an Uppity Negro and you dont like well tough cookies..lol I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT

YES WE CAN

May 20, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  3. Bev McClain

At a rally in Kentucky, Hillary Clinton told the audience that she "has more electoral votes, enough to win".

Has she forgotten that if she were to get the nomination, she would have to run against the Republican nominee (McCain) before she got those electoral votes, "enough to win"?

Who takes the voters for idiots?

I'm very very very tired of this woman and I'm even more weary of a media that panders to the most ignorant among the voters, that doesn't ask the questions about the issues that are important to the people.

These candidates are not taking questions from people at these events. When the media, our representatives, get to ask the candidates questions, it's about irrelevancies. I don't care if the candidates wear flag pins. I don't care about Rev. Wright. I don't care what Geraldine Ferraro has to say. I don't care what the polls say.

I do care about US foreign policy that causes blowback on citizens back home. I do care about domestic policy that isn't just for the benefit of the most privileged Americans, but for ALL Americans.

May 20, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  4. Joe - Wilmington, DE

I guess Hillary can't stand the fact that the coronation will not happen after all; that people saw through the Clinton charade.

May 20, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  5. Noble Seattle, WA

Its seems to me that Hillary is living her life like a candle in the wind. No wonder Elton John did a fund raiser for her. If wishes were horses beggers will ride, but wishes are not horses so,.... My sympathy goes to Hillary who earlier at the begining of the primary voting season was clearly the front-runner and favoured to win the nomination and possibly the general election only to subsequently slip behind. I think that explains Hillary's frustration. But what explains the turn around of events is when she made the election seem more about the Clintons and forgot that "vox populi, vox dei" – voice of the people is the supreme law.

Maybe Hillary thinks she can box Obama into a corner of offering a V.P position, maybe to help pay for some of her debt. Well, if that is the case, then she is beating her hands on a fully loaded truck. The truck is full hillary and ready to deliver!

Strait talk : Hillary, why are you doing all of these?

May 20, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  6. T-Bone in IL

I find it funny that all of the Hillary supporters are complaining that not everyone has had a chance to vote yet. If you look at McCain – He is already the purposed nomonee of the Republicans – WITHOUT ALL OF THE VOTER VOTING IN EACH STATE.

You all would not be complaining if Hillary had been able to shore up the election in Feb. though would you.

The thing is, that as long as the nomonee has reached that Golden number they are the one that gets to run in the GE. I understand that most likely niether of our candidates will reach that number. OBAMA has the lead now in every facit possible, even with Hillary winning in Kentucky, this would not change this fact.

No mattrer how you dice it, it doesn't change the reallity of the election process.

For those who keep bringing up FL & MI, I too feel those two states should be counted, but it should be done fairly. Hillary opposed a count that would atleast include MI, because she stated it would not favor her enough. That's BULL, Obama took his name off of the ballot because the DNC asked EVERY candidate to do so. Hillary was the only one who didn't HMMMM. As for Florida, give Hillary the votes she recieved and give the rest to OBAMA.

I know that if Obama is the winner that some of the Hillary Supporters will go over to McCain and that s O.K. Thats your choice, but I don't think that it will affect the outcome. One thing that Obama has been able to do is reconnect with the voters. People tend to gravitate toward him, because of his spirit fro change.

By the way, I grew up poor, am a Vet, but now a college educated, working professional. I now live the American Dream because I made it possible by utilizing my resources. This is one more reasons I connect with Barack and feel that he will be abe to eventually conncet with all voters.

OBAMA 08'

May 20, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  7. Modern Monkey!!!!

Why are you guys even covering her......she had a good run and almost made it, but then Obama came along and stole the carpet right out from under her feet!!!!!

May 20, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  8. Linda

When will Hillary disappear?

May 20, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  9. Darrell

To: the DNC and Howard Dean and Barrach Husein Obama

1.7 Mil Democrats voted in Florida we want our Vote To Count and we want to be seated at the Convention do it or loose it

May 20, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  10. SlimSista

TO AJ...

YOU AND YOUR RACISTS REMARKS REFLECT YOUR IGNORGANCE....AFRICAN AMERICANS ON MAKE UP 14% OF VOTES IN AMERICA...SO THAT MEANS THAT HE IS GETTING ALOT OF WHITE VOTERS VOTING FOR HIM...

AS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN I TAKE YOUR INSULTS VERY PERSONAL ...IT IS HATEFUL, RACISTS LIKE YOURSELF THAT MAKES THIS ELECTION ABOUT RACE WHICH IT IS NOT....MOVE TO ANOTHER COUNTRY AS WE DO NOT NEED YOU IN AMERICA....

May 20, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  11. Mike

Senator Obama appears to be our best hope of actually changing America in so many ways. He will certainly improve our relationship with other countries. This idea that we should not negotiate with other countries because we have label them one way or the other is insane. What could it hurt to talk to Hamas? You may be able to find a common ground to settle this. I would do on heck of alot of negotiating to save you children from both sides from being killed in senseless violence. American revolutinaries were considered terrorists by the British. Had the British negotiated with them after the Olive branch petition was given to them, we would probably be British today.

American government is dominated by big business. Senator Obama would at least try to remove them from Washington. I doubt he would be sucessful–but he would try.

Hilary like her husband will say whatever it takes to win and gain power. Of the three canidates she is the most dishonest and corrupt.

Barrack is far left of me, but he will try to make a difference and is the most honest of the three. I think character counts and they sure aren't coming up with much on Obama. So I will vote Obama and if Hilary somehow manages to win the Democratic nomination, I will vote McCain because I think he is more honest of the two.

May 20, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. Megan, Oregon

I am an Obama supporter–but I have great respect for Senator Clinton. I think it would do everyone commenting here a lot of good to read the actual words of these candidates and thoughtfully spend the time to get to know their policy positions, rather than arguing over character issues and threatening to not vote for the other person. I would gladly vote for Senator Clinton if she earned the nomination. Our task at hand is to be mature adults and Democrats and think of the future of the nation before our own loyalties. John McCain is a disastrous choice. Not voting is a disastrous choice. Please, stop all the negativity and get behind our candidate–whether Senator Clinton or Senator Obama. Neither one is a perfect human being–we cannot expect that. But, we can make a choice to be maturely and respectfully invested in our nation. Think of the future of our children, ourselves, and our parents before being petty and small-minded.

Democrats '08.

May 20, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  13. Michelle from Colorado

Fuzzy math or not...Obama ought to wake up. Since he won in caucus stateswhere these states do not share actual numbers of "popular vote", he truly is dealing with unknown numbers as to how popular he is. Hillary knows for sure, as do I, that she is the one who can beat McCain in November. She has real nuber and solid facts. Obama reminds me of the popular kid in gym, only choosing the other popular kids to be on his dodgeball team. He only thinks everybody admires him. But down deep most of the kids dislike his arrogance and heady confidence.
    Hillary is the girl with confidence in her heart. Those who are jealous may hate her. But those who know she can get the job done quietly support her and cheer her on. You Go, Girl!!!!

May 20, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  14. Y

If Obama could beat Hillary and several other democratic candidates in the primary, what makes us think he can't beat McCain? Obama does not have a problem winning the white vote. He may have a problem winning the racist vote, but the population of racists in America is decreasing.

Obama '08

May 20, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  15. MJV Tampa

I am going to send Billery a calculator! With INSTRUCTIONS!! Just want to say thanks to Billery & Obama keep up the good work. Senator McCain loves it.

All the best next President John McCain!!

May 20, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  16. CNN loves Hillary

If Hillary was the "experienced fighter" people CLAIM she is, she would not have ignored the caucus system and would be ahead in every legitimate measurable category. LOL

If McCain were the "experienced leader," people CLAIM, he would not have had to fire 5 of his top campaign advisors. LOL

Get over your animosity!! Obama, the freshman senator, has won the nomination...fair and square.

BTW, I don't believe real dems would be sooo foolish as to write in Hillary or vote McCain. These posters are Repubs. Don't listen to them!!

May 20, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  17. Obama 08

MD Houston and others who feel Hillary was entitiled to the White House whatever. She should have run in 2004 but she did not nobody was stopping her. I was never in love with Kerry so she had her chance then as well. You dont want to see the list where BLACKS couldnt even wait in line or come in the door due to whites so dont even go there. This country has a long way to go and Barack being the next Dem Nominee has brought out just far that truly is. As a female Hillary does NOT inspire me and she never has. I will have my girl power sign when we have a female politican running for the white house who does inspire me.

May 20, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  18. Jason, Texas

Those of you touting the experience card are ignorant. Our best presidents lacked in that very category... Lincoln, Kennedy, etc. It's because they are able to think outside the box and not be more of the same. Come on people, think for once in your life.

May 20, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  19. Venus

CNN – you need to update your Ticker.....

Tick... Tock....Tick... Tick...

Obama got 2-more Superdelegates this morning!

Best of luck today Obama in Oregon!

May 20, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  20. funny numbers

How is it that Clinton want to count Michigan and Florida and not count the votes in the caucus states. Why aren't the reporters pointing this out. So MI and FL count but the others don't . It would seem to me that if she wants to count all votes then count all votes, including the caucus states. But she wont do that because it will take away her argument of having the lead in the popular vote.

To Clinton supports (especially those who threaten to go McCain), She does not have a majority, this is a democracy, Why would you turn your back on the party becuase a black man beat Clinton (fairly)? You really need to search your hearts and ask yourself. do we want universal healthcare? do we want to end this war? Do we want a better education system to help America's children compete internationally?

No = vote for McCan
    Yes = Vote democratic (this means the Black guy that you are not familiar with, who beat your choice for the first woman president. It is not about gender or race it is about the issues. And McCain has all of the wrong answers.

May 20, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  21. Barb Hribar

To Hillary Clinton
    I am pulling for you and really want you to win the election
    I pray everyday you win this race you will have my vote forsure

Hope you win no make that you will win{I hope}

May 20, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  22. Melissa, Portland, OR

So I'm a huge supporter of Obama, and I turned in my ballot last week for today's primary...but seriously, what is with the pictures of Clinton regularly being posted on this site? They are almost always unflattering, and my question is, who is picking these to post? It's been a rough campaign and the candidates are friggin tired...a little discretion would be a bit more respectful, don't you think? I'm just sayin'.

May 20, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  23. Rob Johnson

It seems that the spiteful, vengeful pettiness that is a hallmark of the Clinton political machine is contagious.

It bothers me that some of you would gladly hand the keys to the White House to John McCain, not because you agree with his policies, but to "teach Obama/DNC/INSERT ENEMY HERE" a lesson. Because it's not about what is best for the country, it is about punishing your enemies, right?

Then again, when Hillary herself practices the politics of retribution and vengeance, you can't be surprised that she attracts people who think the same way.

May 20, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  24. Proud West Virginian

CAMNI317....I could care less what the rest of this country thinks about me or where I come from..people like you judge one based on their economical and eduational standing in life which boils down to being a SNOB! By the way, I did go to college, I do own a pair of shoes, I still have the majority of my teeth and my father is not also my cousin. I just thought I would clear that all up since narrow-minded people like you have that impression of us.

I would rather live in a poor, uneducated environment, that year after year is rated as one of the SAFEST STATES in the Country...I think it says something about the morality of the "Superior States".

May 20, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  25. mmartin arkansaw

when this is over,hillary will still be fighting the wind.i like watching her swing at nothing.

May 20, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |