May 20th, 2008

McCain to address NAACP convention

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.mccain0520.ap.jpg caption="McCain will make an appearance at the NAACP convention this summer."] (CNN) - Last year, Rep. Tom Tancredo was the only Republican presidential contender to accept an invitation from the NAACP to appear at its convention. This summer, the party’s presumptive nominee, John McCain, will address members of the civil rights group at its annual meeting.

In an interview with Essence magazine released Tuesday, the Arizona senator said he would "go to places and venues that would allow me to continue a dialogue with the African-American community. I will go to the NAACP convention."

Last month, McCain spent a week touring the country in an effort to reach out to voters who have not traditionally backed the GOP in large numbers, including a stop in Selma, Alabama – a pivotal location in the civil rights movement.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. LT for Obama

If I were going to that convention, I would hate to have to eat my rubber chicken while listening to his speech. Ughhhhh...........

May 20, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  2. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

So long as he practices hard and doesn't start out with "my colored friends," he might get polite applause.

May 20, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  3. R. Brown

This will be interesting...... 🙂

I'll have a front row seat to see this side show.

May 20, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  4. Sue in MI

This should be good....will he talk about the young black men going to war, and why he failed to support the bill for benefits when they return?
    Just how does he plan to help black folks, or any of us, by his commitment to war unending?

May 20, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  5. Chris in Va.

I'm sure McCain will be a big hit pandering to the NAACP especially after voting AGAINST the MLK holiday. African-Americans have been lied to for 400 years by persons manipulating them to get something from them only to disappoint them. Didn't he get booed enough in Selma?

May 20, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  6. NORA, FLORIDA

It is amazing that in previous elections that Republican party could have cared less about people of color vote and all of a sudden when they see that people of color are turning out in this election, hmmmmmm they come out to feast like bats.

Latinos, African Americans, Asians, Haitians, Hispanic, Jamaican, etc... don't be fulled by this ploy.

May 20, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  7. Linned

MLK day – and didn't vote intially for Arizona to have the MLK holiday., Selma, Alabama – dancing to church music, what next NAACP convention.

May 20, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  8. Carol

All I have to say about this is John McCain voted AGAINST DR. KING'S BIRTHDAY AS A FEDERAL HOLIDAY...PERIOD...THERE IS NOTHING MORE TO SAY. He can now, NOW, say its a mistake in judgement based on the fact that he's now running for President. but the idea that this man, even in his Senate seat, was so narrow-minded and abstract, and as far as I'm concerned, suggestively racist by not even voting for an acknowledgement for probably the Premier black emblem of our generation.

McCain and his cronies like Bush have said a lifetime of things and I have decided that just like not recognizing the King holiday, I won't recognize anyone so narrow-minded and small minded that they wouldn't learn from their past for their own future.

May 20, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  9. Carol

P.S. The same judgement was made about the IRAQ War, so I've had my fill of John McCain and his bad judgements.

May 20, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  10. Unknown

Why would John McShame want to speak to a civil rights organization when you didn't want Arizona to celebrate Dr. King's birthday? John McShame is a old man that needs to climb under a rock.

May 20, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  11. Greg Turner

I am offended as an African American. For years John McCain has ignored our community and championed against our issues. Now all of a sudden he wants to get our vote and engage us. Mr. McCain, in the years you were ignoring us and sending our family and friends to fight in Iraq( and you want another 100 years) believe it or not alot of us went to college, got good jobs, and made contributions to this country as opposed to becoming criminals or living in ignorance. We see through your cornball antics. We'll listen out of respect, but we know you don't have our interests at heart. You'll say anything for a vote, you flip flop more than a shoe. Obama 09

May 20, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  12. Kevin - Jonesboro, GA

McCain can address anyone and everyone for as long as he wants but until he changes his message, he will still lose!

May 20, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  13. patrick

I strongly urge Senator McCain to leave this one alone!!......If he really wants to flip the light switch off, just show his face for 1 hr and that will be all she wrote.

May 20, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  14. LOL

didnt he try to block MLK day???

May 21, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  15. Paul from S.F.

It's about time! McCain is going a long way to save the Republican party and bring it back to the party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt....

May 21, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  16. john mccain

John McCain surrounds himself with the "old white-man's country club". Are you kidding me?

May 21, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  17. The Bu

Obama can't go because he'd be viewed as pandering to African-Americans, then Hillary would get more support from her "hard-working, white Americans." The ones who, by no means are they racist in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky.

May 21, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  18. Boston for OBAMA

They won't be fooled by McCain.

May 21, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  19. David D Kollie

Every candidate tries to win the voters approval. Let him try. One I must say, McCain please do not talk about GW Bush policies there.
    Also, Hillary say congratulation for thinking to go at the NAACP convention.

May 21, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  20. Craig

It seems republicans are willing to participate in events such as the NAACP convention when elections come around. They never go back. Blacks need to be respected more because Obama is bring more blacks to the polls and it will make a difference.

But this Republican game will not work and he may not be received that well at the convention any way.

May 21, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  21. Mad in Michigan

Please...... What could he possibly say.

I was for a MLK holiday but instead voted against it NOT.

I will help you get Health Insurance NOT.

The Republican Party values your opinion NOT.

The Republican Party is committed to the NAACP and its iseas NOT NOT NOT

May 21, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  22. Jeanne

That will be an interesting speech. I wish I could believe McCain was genuine about some of these issues. I'm not so sure he simply isn't pandering with no real intention of carrying through.

May 21, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  23. colene

omg he must be desparate! talking about pandering!

May 21, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  24. Janel, St. Paul, MN

This should be very interesting!

How I'd like to be a mouse in the corner!

May 21, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  25. Inevitable

Mc Cain .......... you're going to a place .. you're not wanted .......

May 21, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |