May 20th, 2008

Schneider: Majority in Kentucky say Obama doesn't share values

(CNN) - In another sign Barack Obama has trouble courting blue-collar voters, less than half of Kentucky Democrats said Tuesday that Barack Obama shares their values.

According to the exit polls, only 43 percent of voters there said Obama shares their values, a statistic that could potentially hurt him in the fall should he win the party's nomination.

That compares to 73 percent of Kentucky Democrats who said Hillary Clinton shares their values – a statistic the Clinton campaign often references when it claims the New York Democrat has a better chance of winning the crucial swing states in a general election.

The numbers were very similar in West Virginia last week. There only 43 percent said Obama shared their values while 70 percent said Clinton did.

Obama clearly has a long way to go in defining himself among these voters should he be the party's nominee.

Filed under: Exit Polls
  1. The Bu

So, does that mean that most of the people in Kentucky tell lies and don't take responsibility for their mistakes??? If I were Obama, I would think, if telling the truth is wrong, I don't wanna be right. Which values specifically do they share with Hillary? Well, besides the lying and pandering, and love of self?

May 21, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  2. Moe

Well someone finally said it...the "R" word. 1 in 5 Kentucky voters said race played a part in their decision. And 90% of them voted for Clinton.

I think that is what CNN reported.

May 21, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  3. Holly B

Kentucky, what are your values? Are you not mostly Christian? Well so is Obama and a church attender far more loyally than Hillary. Do you believe it is okay to lie? Is that your value, because Hillary does a heck of a lot more of it than Obama. Do you want to continue to send your sons into a war that should never have been? Hillary voted for that war? Who is the more patriotic American? Obama will tell you everything he is he owes to this great country. Hillary will almost bring down her own political party to gain power for her and her lyin' cheatn' husband! Do you really have more in common with her values than his? I hope not!! Get a better look at Obama and I think that you will find that you do share his values – including his family values!

May 21, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  4. Bill

Bill Schneider,...do you and Wolf think Barack Obama should learn to lie more? Would he then share values with Hillary, and some of her supporters? Your polling, and observations are so much crap. Americans want honest politicians. Values??? What values??? You sound much like the nitwits in office now. They ran on values.
    Many of you journeyman news hands at CNN have been disgracing your profession. You couldn't carry water for Walter Cronkite, and his contempories.

May 21, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  5. Jillian

People in Kentucky get what they deserve. These fools voted for Bush big time in 2000 and 2004. I'm sure a lot of them still think he's doing a helluva job. They're uneducated, ignorant and backward. I'm allowed to say all that because I was born and raised here and I know how foolish my fellow Kentuckians can be.

May 21, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  6. SC for Hillary

BARACK AND MICHELLE OBAMA HATE WHITE PEOPLE, IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW, JUST ASK REV WRIGHT, OR BUY HIS BOOK WHEN IT COME OUT IN OCTOBER, YOU WILL ALSO SEE THE VIDEO THAT THE REPUBLICANS HAVE WITH BOTH MICHELLE AND BARACK IN THE PEWS CLAPPING WHEN REV WRIGHT WERE PREACHING ABOUT THE HATEFUL WHITE PEOPLE IN AMERICA, YOU WILL ALSO SEE THAT OBAMA LIED ABOUT BEING IN THOSE PEWS, HE IS A LIAR, AND WILL LOSE BY A LANDSLIDE IN NOVEMBER. OBAMA IS AN EMPTY SUIT WITH NO SUBSTANCE AND LOVE TERRIOSTS.

May 21, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  7. Edward

Is that a bad thing? Most of America does not share their values either. These people have been voting Republican for years now. In a sense, they have more invested in the culture of the Republican party than the Democrat party. This is why Bush's bluster and latent white male machismo is so appealing to them. I have never understood why poor white people feel a kinship in the Republican party, and they say Obama is elitist. It remains to be seen now whether they will vote with their heads or their hearts in November.

By the way, "Engagement is not Appeasement" John

May 21, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  8. David D Kollie

Obama share both values of white and black people. He has White Blood as well as African-American Blood in him. He is bivalues.

May 21, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  9. Cindy,CA

To Dia Akin,
    No matter who you support, your comment was in really bad taste. Our troops are actually dying in Iraq so this is not fodder for use in an attack on anyone. I guess you are alittle upset as we all our with this long campaign season. Nerves and tempers can get alittle out of control, but please think before you vent. I know you could not have really meant what you wrote.

Take a breath and I wish you peace and happiness.

May 21, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  10. Mary

WOW! Take a good look of some of these values, main one being I will not vote for a black man. Now if Hillary wants to share those values it's all good.

May 21, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  11. jj

woow color of skin is their value ha? this people voted for bush and now they messing this my America again?????

May 21, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  12. Anonymous

the majority of the US doesn't share the values of Kentucky...

May 21, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  13. Peggy

Why does CNN insist on saying that Senator Obama can't win the "white blue-collar workers"? While Senator Clinton yells "sexcism" as the reason for her campaign woes, Mr. Obama continues to deny that "racism" has plagured his campaign. Stop whining Hillary Clinton and CNN supporters! Those rednecks in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Kentucky didn't vote for Senator Obama because he's half-White., but because he's half-Black is reason for not voting for him! And...I no longer watch CNN as your bias toward the White candidate is very obvious. So I say goodbye to Wolf, Lou and even the White Toy Boy Anderson Cooper! You all have shown the world your TRUE COLOR and it's not BLACK!

May 21, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  14. BBGG

The problem in West Virginia and Kentucky is not that Obama does not share their values. The problem is that he is a black man. Any one who listens to Obama and Hillary would know they both share the same issues for improving this country. Lets us tell the truth. This has nothing to do with values, but the color of Obama's skin. There needs to be an article written on how does a black nominee who wants to unite the country reach out to gain the votes of white racist?

May 21, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  15. American Joe

If a guy who grow up in small town America and raise by a mom who has to live on food stamp for while, went to school on scholarship and worked as a community organizer on the streets of middle America isn't someone who share their values, then I don't know who is...My goodness, people can just lie like that...I guess the fundamental qualification that they feel is need to share their values is the color of the person's skin~~~truly sad...

May 21, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  16. Gayle, CA

Wow, but of course these are the same voters who say Hillary attacked unfairly and STILL voted for her.

Hillary supporters, how does it feel to aggree with the Roves, Limbaughs, Scarboroughs and Pat Robinsons of the world? Does it ever give you pause?

May 21, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  17. Wow!

Dia Akin....my son and I are over here SCREAMING laughing at your comment. LMAO @ Well fear not! I've also died a time or two serving my country and will continue to do so when I'm President of the United States of America!"

I agree with you; I just wonder why some of her supporters are so slow they haven't caught on.

May 21, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  18. Don in Seattle

Unfortunatey, Hillary uses the phrase, "I share your values" but then time and time again shoots holes in them if it gets her ahead in some way. I was once an avid supporter of Hillary but have to say she has turned me off big time with her manipulations, attacks, unreasonale math, stretching the truth, actually lying, etc. Yes, she really is a good manipulator and uses every tool she can muster to get herself ahead. Unfortunately, that is exactly what she is doing...building herself up at everyone's expense and misleading many, many of her supporters. She has shown through her own words that she places certain values on race, jobs, and people of different geographies. And, that changes depending on what state she is trying to win in. She is simply not the "Queen" that she thinks she is and she is not "entitled" to the throne she wants to sit on...at least not THAT throne!

May 21, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  19. Elmo

The exit polls also indicate that Clinton's supporters in West Virginia and Kentucky are disproportionately comprised of uneducated racists, so they're probably right that Obama doesn't share their values.

May 21, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  20. ?

Let us be honest, is the thing that really divides the vote in these states values or race? If obama's name was Dave and he were white would we see his values differently?
    These are states steeped in racism and Clinton knows this, we all do.
    The real question is, will there ever be a time when we can just be Americans without a racial divide?
    We are a great and wonderful country but if we are honesty we as Americans are at our weakest when we are fractured, Let us hope that we are not beyond repair.

May 21, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  21. Sebastian

CNN –

Did you ask them ... "Does Obama share your values"?

-or-

Did you ask them ...."What are your core values & beliefs" ... followed by .... Do you believe both candidates share those beliefs?

May 21, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  22. Bill

contemporaries

May 21, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  23. S - Austin

So, 73% of Kentucky Democrats share Hillary's values... changing the rules mid-game to suit your needs, playing on people's fears and prejudices, spreading lies about someone on your own team, spending frivolously with money you don't have and expecting someone else to foot the bill? Those are values we as a nation can do without!

May 21, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  24. Rafi, NY NY

Obama's and Clinton's values are almost exactly the same.

"They don't share my values" is something people say when they can't pinpoint a real reason they don't like a candidate.

May 21, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  25. goawaymongers

Kentucky is a beautiful state to VISIT. I don't think that the "values" of most of the people there are shared by most AMERICANS....

May 21, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |