May 20th, 2008

Kennedy seizure caused by brain tumor

Sen. Kennedy has endorsed Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) - The hospital treating Sen. Edward Kennedy said Tuesday that the Democratic senator has a malignant brain tumor.

The tumor was the cause of his seizure on Saturday, according to a statement from the doctors treating the 76-year-old at Massachusetts General Hospital.

While such tumors are usually treated by a combination of radiation and chemotherapy, Kennedy's doctors said "decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis."

"Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol."

Kennedy "remains in good overall condition and is up and walking around the hospital," the statement said.

He was airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital on Saturday, and has remained hospitalized since then.

(updated with additional information 1:30 p.m.; full hospital statement after the jump)

Drs. Lee Schwamm and Larry Ronan of Massachusetts General Hospital, where Kennedy is being treated, released this statement Tuesday:

"Over the course of the last several days, we've done a series of tests on Senator Kennedy to determine the cause of his seizure. He has had no further seizures, remains in good overall condition, and is up and walking around the hospital. Some of the tests we had performed were inconclusive, particularly in light of the fact that the Senator had severe narrowing of the left carotid artery and underwent surgery just 6 months ago.

"However, preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal-lobe. The usual course of treatment includes combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy. Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis. Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol. He remains in good spirits and full of energy."

Full story

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. J. Sully, New York

My prayers are with Senator Kennedy. He's been around all my life like an old uncle. I hope he recovers. The Kennedys are strong.

May 20, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  2. Patricia in Las Vegas

Senator Kennedy, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

May 20, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  3. Sue F

I lost my own husband in February of this year from two malignant brain tumors, a glial and astrocytoma, in the left frontal lobe. He chose no treatment because he didn't want to spend his last days on earth sick and weak. They gave him six months to a year, that was in November 2004! Of course the last four months were the worst, but prior to that other then balance problems, nasuea and some personality changes he did well. He was a strong man, just like Senator Kennedy is, every person has to decide what they want to do for themselves, it's a very personal decision. But they should take heart how long my husband survived, he was able to spend time with his family and mend broken relationships with family and friends he had a falling out with many years prior. I would tell them be strong, pray, take care of him, love him but in the end, let him talk and vent and decide what he wants to do, it's his right, it's his body. My husband was around Senator Kennedy's age, but the three and a half years we had left to us were the most special for everyone. I will pray for them, and may God bless him and his family.

May 20, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  4. Bubba

Geez...get well soon Ted.

May 20, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  5. MC- Atlanta,GA

OMG this is awful news....we need Teddy Kennedy now more than ever...Please god don't take him now...

May 20, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  6. Hip_Hop_Says

i hope they are able to operate and the senator is able to return after the summer break....while i can't say i always say i am on the same side of the issues with sen. kennedy i can say he wields the bully pulpit for his state well and is a master statesman.

May 20, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  7. Justin

Beat this tumor Mr. Kennedy, your country still needs you.

May 20, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. Tired of all the Flap

To the Kennedy family: My thoughts and prayers are with Senator Ted Kennedy during this time of his illness. May God Bless You All.

May 20, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. Connie Sturgeon

May the whole country cling to their faith now and Pray for the Kennedy family. They have done great things for all of us,black,white,yellow or red.
    May God be with them all.

Connie from Logansport,IN

May 20, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  10. Michele, Oregon

The prayers of the nation are with you and your family Senator Kennedy.

May 20, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  11. sprkl12000

My Prayers are with Ted and his entire family!!! He is a political GIANT and regardless of what your party affiliation is, you have to respect the great works he has done on behalf of ALL people!

May 20, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Helen

It is my prayer that God heals your body Senator Kennedy.

Helen

May 20, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  13. Linda of Atlanta

I am very sorry about Senator Kennedy's condition. However, I am optimistic about his chances to beat this. He has worked very hard for the greater good and I believe that will count for a lot.

May 20, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  14. lea

My prayers are with Senator Kennedy and his family. He has meant a lot to this country.

May 20, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. Independent for Obama

God bless and best of luck to the Senator and his family.

May 20, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  16. Sarah

My thoughts are with Sen. Kennedy and his family. Best of luck.

May 20, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  17. Dee, NY

My family is praying for you and your family....Speedy recovery sir...God Bless you.

May 20, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  18. Modern Monkey!!!!

My pray's are with you sir. You are a true statesman and a model American. Thanks for your service Ted. I know you want to see your brother, but wait.....there are things that still need to be done with you at the Demorcratic helm.

May 20, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  19. Franky

Is malignant??? Oh boy, that doesn't sound that good. Let's hope is not as serious and critical as it may sound. Hopefully, is not as critical as it may be....

May 20, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  20. George

As a Republican, I could never stand Ted Kennedy. But with hopefully all Americans, I wish you a good prognosis, good treatment and a speedy recovery so I can go back to not liking you again. Get better soon!!

May 20, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  21. Phong Nguyen

We all are born to die someday!!! Death is just a phase of our life! It is part of a deal that most of us do not want to accept even though it is very normal. God Bless S. Kennedy!!! We all wish him the very best!!!

May 20, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  22. Viva Obama 08

God bless the man.

May 20, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  23. John

CNN, please be consistent!!!! Is it Edward or Ted Kennedy with the tumor??? You have two contradicting headlines... Is there an editor in the building???

May 20, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  24. D N DC

u and ur family will remain n my prayers!!!!

Peace and Blessings

May 20, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  25. Sensible Cape Coral Fl

My prayers and best wishes go to the Senator and his family. Regardless of one's political affiliation, this has to be a moment when we put aside our prejudices. Senator Kennedy has done a lot for this country and no thinking person can deny that.

May 20, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |