May 20th, 2008

Kennedy seizure caused by brain tumor

Sen. Kennedy has endorsed Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) - The hospital treating Sen. Edward Kennedy said Tuesday that the Democratic senator has a malignant brain tumor.

The tumor was the cause of his seizure on Saturday, according to a statement from the doctors treating the 76-year-old at Massachusetts General Hospital.

While such tumors are usually treated by a combination of radiation and chemotherapy, Kennedy's doctors said "decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis."

"Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol."

Kennedy "remains in good overall condition and is up and walking around the hospital," the statement said.

He was airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital on Saturday, and has remained hospitalized since then.

(updated with additional information 1:30 p.m.; full hospital statement after the jump)

Drs. Lee Schwamm and Larry Ronan of Massachusetts General Hospital, where Kennedy is being treated, released this statement Tuesday:

"Over the course of the last several days, we've done a series of tests on Senator Kennedy to determine the cause of his seizure. He has had no further seizures, remains in good overall condition, and is up and walking around the hospital. Some of the tests we had performed were inconclusive, particularly in light of the fact that the Senator had severe narrowing of the left carotid artery and underwent surgery just 6 months ago.

"However, preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal-lobe. The usual course of treatment includes combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy. Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis. Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol. He remains in good spirits and full of energy."

Full story

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. Kwame

Best wishes to his family and loved ones.

May 20, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  2. Conservative -CA

Let us all pray.

May 20, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  3. BattleChicken

My thoughts and prayers go to him and his family.

May 20, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  4. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

God Bless you Ted I will pray for you and your family!

May 20, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  5. Jan, Knoxville, TN

Such sad news. I admire him as a fellow Catholic and probably being the best Senator to ever serve. I know he is a fighter and will do everything to beat this disease. Many thoughts and prayers are with you Senator Kennedy.

May 20, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  6. Inevitable

Hope he recovers!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need you come Nov ........

May 20, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  7. Patrick Purcell

Get better Sen. Kennedy, best wishes to you. You are a good man and I hope you get well.

May 20, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  8. fred

I hate to hear that about Ted Kennedy.. Just wished he hadn't supported Obama...big, big mistake.

May 20, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  9. anastasia

I am very saddened by this news. I will keep Senator Kennedy in my prayers.

God Bless You.

May 20, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  10. Alice

this certainly casts a pall over all other news . . .

May 20, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  11. American expat

This is very sad news! My thoughts and prayers go out to the Senator and his family. I believe he has the tenacity to fight this battle as he has fought so many battles on the Senate floor. Keep fighting and I pray that you have a successful recovery! Just like Obama's campaign slogan Yes we can- I'm sure you can fight and say- Yes I can!

May 20, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  12. Charla in TX

Mr. Kennedy you and your family are in my thoughts. You have been a champion of the people for decades. Fight the good fight, sir.

May 20, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  13. R.I.F.

Get well Soon!!!

May 20, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  14. SLKWLY

Our prayers are with you and your family....We know know they don't call you "lion" for nothing, keep fighting......

May 20, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  15. Annette

Senator Kennedy is a strong man. My prayers are with his family.

May 20, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  16. The Lady

Jesus; Bless him, protect him and show him your love.

May 20, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. pam Eugene OR

Horrible news! He had so much to give Obama.

May 20, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. Ben

Come on Ted Kennedy..you got to pull through this...America still needs you!

May 20, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  19. nancy

Senator Kennedy, you must get better so you can see President Obama for yourself!! Fight on, fight on, fight on.

May 20, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  20. Ms Biden

My prayers are with you and your family...... YOu are the greatest ever Ted.. The greatest

May 20, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  21. Arkansas Undertaker

I am a greeat admirer of Sen. Edward Kennedy and his entire family. I will be on my knees every day praying that he has a speedy recovery.

God Bless you Mr. Kennedy. Hang in there. We all love you!

May 20, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  22. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

Let us all pray that Senator Kennedy makes a speedy recovery.

May 20, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  23. Anne - VA

My prayers go out to Senator Kennedy and his family. I pray that it just isn't his time.

May 20, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  24. rachel

well wishes going out to him and his family

May 20, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  25. Heather

If anyone can fight this, it's Ted Kennedy. Prayin' for him and his family.

May 20, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |