May 20th, 2008

Kennedy seizure caused by brain tumor

Sen. Kennedy has endorsed Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) - The hospital treating Sen. Edward Kennedy said Tuesday that the Democratic senator has a malignant brain tumor.

The tumor was the cause of his seizure on Saturday, according to a statement from the doctors treating the 76-year-old at Massachusetts General Hospital.

While such tumors are usually treated by a combination of radiation and chemotherapy, Kennedy's doctors said "decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis."

"Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol."

Kennedy "remains in good overall condition and is up and walking around the hospital," the statement said.

He was airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital on Saturday, and has remained hospitalized since then.

(updated with additional information 1:30 p.m.; full hospital statement after the jump)

Drs. Lee Schwamm and Larry Ronan of Massachusetts General Hospital, where Kennedy is being treated, released this statement Tuesday:

"Over the course of the last several days, we've done a series of tests on Senator Kennedy to determine the cause of his seizure. He has had no further seizures, remains in good overall condition, and is up and walking around the hospital. Some of the tests we had performed were inconclusive, particularly in light of the fact that the Senator had severe narrowing of the left carotid artery and underwent surgery just 6 months ago.

"However, preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal-lobe. The usual course of treatment includes combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy. Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis. Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol. He remains in good spirits and full of energy."

Full story

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. Steve

This is awful. Hopefully he's able to pull through okay. He's been a great presence in Congress and his loss would not only be incredibly sad but a huge blow to liberals and progressives everywhere.

May 20, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  2. vic nashville,Tn

I couldn’t believe it
    Get well soon

May 20, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. Gregory H. Brooklyn New York

Dear Sen. Kennedy, when it comes to fighting, you're a heavyweight champion. Keep your hands up. When you tired, we'll fight a round or two for you. God bless!!

May 20, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. D N DC

No matter who you voted 4, this is a sad day n America, it not about the primary. Where is the heart of the American people. My goodness, it's a sad day if we allow anger and hatred to rule our thoughts. Peace and Blessings to the Kennedy family U have give a lot 2 the American people. God Bless

May 20, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  5. Celeste

Father God we lift up Senator Kennedy to you today, because we trust your healing power. We look to You for a miraculous healing because with You all things are possible.

May 20, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  6. Anil C Thakuria , MD

Dear Mr. Kennedy,
    Now I am very sad. But hang on Mr. Senator. You have always been a fighter. Like a Lion you have always been fighting to defend the rigjhts of the poor and defenceless. I and my family wish best of luck and a recovery.

May 20, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  7. Tony

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Senator Kennedy! This family has seen so much tragedy, it's staggering. Shame on all of you so quick to quip "NOW we know why Ted endorsed Obama". May the Lord have mercy on your sorry, good-for-nothing souls when your day of judgement arrives. Regardless of your political leanings, this man is a champion of the American people.

May 20, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. Brian

While I think he should have served time for vehicular manslaughter after Chappaquidick (think if he was a Republican today leaving the scene of an accident with a dead young girl in the car what all the Dems would be saying)...I know from personal experience the toll cancer takes on an individual. God Bless and good luck.

May 20, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  9. Sandy from Ohio

Dear Senator Kennedy and Family

Our prayers and thought are with you and your family Keep your chin up the modern medicine today is in your favor God Bless you and your Family Hope you have a speedy recovery

May 20, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Photon Torpedo Dallas, TX

You been fighting your entire career and you can fight and beat this too!! C'mon Teddy! You still have much to give!

Yes We Can & Yes We Should
    Obama 08'

May 20, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. Prayers and More Prayers

My prayers are with Senator Kennedy and his family. We are all praying for him.

May 20, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  12. Doris,Memphis, TN

Senator ,

God will bless you and carry you. Look to him and pray.
    Thank you for endorsing Barack Obama!
    One good man helping another.
    You will get through this!

May 20, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  13. Michael in Seattle

Some of you people are just plain RUDE!!!!!!
    This is a fellow human being.
    My prayers are with you and your family...I hope you get well soon

May 20, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  14. stop the madness

PRAY AND HAVE FAITH!!

BY GOD I WISH THE MEDIA WOULD STOP REPORTING AS IF HE IS DEAD OR DYING, YOU'RE GOING TOO FAR NEGATIVE. PLEASE GIVE THE FAMILY & AND OTHERS ROOM TO KEEP THEIR FAITH STRONG!

GOD IS ABLE TO HEAL ALL THINGS!

SENATOR KENNEDY, YOU ARE LOVED AND NEEDED SO STAY STRONG!

May 20, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  15. sandra harris

Senator Kennedy has been everybody's friend, regardless of your politics. May God return him to good health soon!

May 20, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  16. Freida NYC

It is very sad, I feel terribly sorry for the Kennedy's!!!!! Hope Ted recovers without too much suffering and pain, that can be caused by chemo and other cancer treatments.

May 20, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. Tre

My prayers are with you Sen.Kennedy. A true american Hero

May 20, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  18. Joel

I am not an American.

However, as a fellow human being from the far away land of Kuwait, I wish the senator a speedy recovery.

A fighter that he is, he will surely and completely recover from this.

Our prayers go out to him and his family. God is great and nothing is impossible to God. Senator will come out of this.

-Joel

May 20, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  19. John

So now we know why he went for obama. In all seriousness, Good luck Ted.

May 20, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  20. averagejoe

Media bias again in action. Still trying to inject Obama into the picture even when the news is about Kennedy's tumor. What a gross, overt way to show CNN's true colors!

Of course, this comment, like my previous ones, won't probably end up getting posted by Obama's media henchmen within CNN.

I just hope there will be more Lou Dobbs inside CNN because he's one of the most objective media man I've seen.

May 20, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. noemi in los angeles

This is so sad.

The Kennedy tragedies never end.

God Bless him and his family.

May 20, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. prairieguy

Thoughts and prayers are sent on to Senator Kennedy and his family during this trying time.

I cannot believe some here are using this time to express their hatred.

Whether one agrees with his policies or not this is not the time to express your hatred....that is what has been wrong with our politics for the past man years!

May 20, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  23. Frank, Missouri

Sad. Very sad. We had a case of cancer in the family this year with a tragic ending. I wish him the best. He always tends to stay on the right side of the issues – I was taken by his energetic support of Barack Obama.

May 20, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  24. JC

Although born with a silver spoon, Senator Kennedy takes to heart the American people that include the illegal immigrants. He and Senator McCain proposed the Immigration Reform Bill, which I disagree with, but I respect his opinion on the problem. He also impressed me with his endorsement for Obama.

My best wishes and prayers for Senator Kennedy and his family!

May 20, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  25. Arturo

I am sorry to hear about Kennedy's health. My prayers are with his family. As I understand, tumors like this give between 1 to five years of life. I am sure Senator Kennedy will do the best he can with the rest of his life

May 20, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |