May 20th, 2008

Kennedy seizure caused by brain tumor

Sen. Kennedy has endorsed Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) - The hospital treating Sen. Edward Kennedy said Tuesday that the Democratic senator has a malignant brain tumor.

The tumor was the cause of his seizure on Saturday, according to a statement from the doctors treating the 76-year-old at Massachusetts General Hospital.

While such tumors are usually treated by a combination of radiation and chemotherapy, Kennedy's doctors said "decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis."

"Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol."

Kennedy "remains in good overall condition and is up and walking around the hospital," the statement said.

He was airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital on Saturday, and has remained hospitalized since then.

(updated with additional information 1:30 p.m.; full hospital statement after the jump)

Drs. Lee Schwamm and Larry Ronan of Massachusetts General Hospital, where Kennedy is being treated, released this statement Tuesday:

"Over the course of the last several days, we've done a series of tests on Senator Kennedy to determine the cause of his seizure. He has had no further seizures, remains in good overall condition, and is up and walking around the hospital. Some of the tests we had performed were inconclusive, particularly in light of the fact that the Senator had severe narrowing of the left carotid artery and underwent surgery just 6 months ago.

"However, preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal-lobe. The usual course of treatment includes combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy. Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis. Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol. He remains in good spirits and full of energy."

Full story

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. Mark

Get well soon Sen. Kennedy!

May 20, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  2. sacto joe

My prayers go with him and his family.

May 20, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  3. Kansan

This is so sad. My heart goes out to the the senator and his family. I hope and pray for a full recovery. He has given a lot to America and has been a strong voice of reason. He was opposed to this shameful war in Iraq from the very beginning.

May 20, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. Jai in PA

My thoughts and prayers are with Senator Kennedy and the entire Kennedy family.

May 20, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. John Los Angeles, CA

I was recently diagonosed with an Astro Cytoma brain tumor and it was found because I had a seizure after ignoring headaches and blurred vision.

Treatment is tough. Ted Kennedy, whether you agree with his politics or not, is a true American hero who has dedicated his life to public service. I hope he gets well and beats it.

May 20, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. Anonymous

My prayers are with you, sir.

May 20, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  7. vjh

I'm really sorry to hear. Sen. Kennedy you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

May 20, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  8. Chuck, Democrats United We Stand

This is so sad, my best wishes and prayers go out to the Kennedy family.

May 20, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  9. DD, New York

May God be with you and your family, Sen. Kennedy.

May 20, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  10. Me

Our thoughts and Prayers are with Senator Kennedy. May God protect him.

May 20, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  11. Cammi317

I wish Senator Kennedy well . One of my best friends is fighting brain cancer for the second time and he is doing well. He maintains a good and positive spirit and I think that is the key.

May 20, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  12. Michael in Seattle

My prayers are with you and your family.

May 20, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  13. Priscilla for Obama

I am so sorry to hear about Senator Kennedy. My thoughts and prayers are with him during this very difficult time. I believe that prayer changes things.

God Bless You Senator Kennedy – We Love You.

May 20, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. R. Squibbs

I'm very sorry to hear that. It's a terrible, terrible illness and the treatments are pretty much as bad as the illness itself in the toll they take on the body and spirit. My best wishes and full sympathy go out to Sen. Kennedy and his family.

May 20, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  15. TREY

he better sit down and relax

May 20, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  16. W A Stokins

Good Riddance.

May 20, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  17. God sent him

Well wishes Mr. Senator. Hope the Doc will do their best so you will be around to one of your many dreams come through......That is to see you friend Obama sworn in as Prez in January 09.

May 20, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  18. Kimetics

Sen. Kennedy,

My prayers are with you and your family. I pray for Strength, I pray for Healing and I pray for You.

Be strong!

May 20, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  19. Raz

My Prayers For Senator Edwards and his family. Please get well soon.

Raz

May 20, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  20. one nation under god!!!!

The timing of this is fishy.They would have known this the day he went in the hospital.So i ask what is the motivation to disclose this now.The answer is Dems thinnk this will help obama or sway votes out of pity.It didnt work in 04 with Sen wellstone and it wont work now.

May 20, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  21. Lyn in Indiana

Prayers to the Senator and his family. Hopefully he'll be back on his feet very soon. Hang in there, "Uncle Teddy!"

May 20, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  22. Oracle99

That's is so sad. I'm sure everyone in America's prayers are with Ted. He has been a friend of the working person, and the poor.

May 20, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  23. glhf

That...doesn't sound good.

May 20, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  24. Ryan

As a person who just had a spinal tumor removed, I wish Sen Kennedy the best and hope for a speady recovery

May 20, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  25. James

Oh my God, Dems please put him in prayers.

May 20, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |