May 20th, 2008

Kennedy seizure caused by brain tumor

Sen. Kennedy has endorsed Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) - The hospital treating Sen. Edward Kennedy said Tuesday that the Democratic senator has a malignant brain tumor.

The tumor was the cause of his seizure on Saturday, according to a statement from the doctors treating the 76-year-old at Massachusetts General Hospital.

While such tumors are usually treated by a combination of radiation and chemotherapy, Kennedy's doctors said "decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis."

"Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol."

Kennedy "remains in good overall condition and is up and walking around the hospital," the statement said.

He was airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital on Saturday, and has remained hospitalized since then.

(updated with additional information 1:30 p.m.; full hospital statement after the jump)

Drs. Lee Schwamm and Larry Ronan of Massachusetts General Hospital, where Kennedy is being treated, released this statement Tuesday:

"Over the course of the last several days, we've done a series of tests on Senator Kennedy to determine the cause of his seizure. He has had no further seizures, remains in good overall condition, and is up and walking around the hospital. Some of the tests we had performed were inconclusive, particularly in light of the fact that the Senator had severe narrowing of the left carotid artery and underwent surgery just 6 months ago.

"However, preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal-lobe. The usual course of treatment includes combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy. Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis. Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol. He remains in good spirits and full of energy."

Full story

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

GET WELL SOON, TED.

We absolutely need the LIBERAL LION to have our back during this political season.

Best wishes

May 20, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  2. Michael Templer

This man has had to watch all of his brothers die long before their time.

He isn't a man of the people but he has always been a man for the people!

I am not sure we should know about this, it's a family matter

May 20, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  3. Alisha(Independent voter) MN

My thoughts and prayers are with Senator Kennedy and his family, durning this rough time. Laughter is the best medicine, so I hope he keeps his spirits high! God bless you

May 20, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  4. Democrat in 08!

Get Well Soon! Thanks for your support for Obama 08 and your years of service.

May 20, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  5. PCEMKER

May God watch over him and his family.

May 20, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  6. Dave

Our prayers are with you and your family, sir.

May 20, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  7. Lisa in Baltimore

Prayers go out to the Senator and his family.

Truly and man and a family that understands noblesse oblige.

May 20, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  8. R. Cooper

God Bless You, Senator Kennedy. Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

May 20, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  9. mary, Dallas, Tx

You will be in my prayers.

May 20, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  10. Reality Check

Senator, your service to this country has been great and you are one of our most loved. I wish you a speedy recovery and good health moving forward. You are the lagacy left behind by your family and continue to carry that torch. May god bless you and the United States of America

May 20, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  11. Keith

This is terrible

I hope you recover Ted. We all honor you for serving this country so well

May 20, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  12. Matt

Best wishes Sen. Kennedy and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

May 20, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  13. JJ

Godspeed to the Senator and his entire family. Hopefully we can all set aside the silliness of this campaign season for just a moment and remember what's truly important–Good health and time to enjoy it.

May 20, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  14. KMAN

Best wishes for his recovery!

May 20, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  15. Claire

I am so saddened to hear this. The Kennedy family is in my thoughts and prayers.

May 20, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  16. McCain for President

I don't agree with his politics, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I hope he has a full recovery.

May 20, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  17. Matt in PA

I wish Senator Kennedy best of luck and I hope for a speedy and full recovery.

May 20, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  18. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Our prayers are with you Senator Kennedy. You have been a champion of the people and we owe you much for your tireless work on our behalf.

May 20, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  19. mekina

Prayers are with you Senator.

May 20, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  20. squeezer

My heart goes out to the man and his family.

May 20, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  21. April in Texas

My thoughts and prayers are with the Kenedy family. Such a great family that has had so much turmoil and grief in their lives.. While I am sad and my heart aches, I know the family will be strong enough to deal with this with grace and style..

God Bless!

May 20, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  22. James

I'm no great fan of the man's politics, but I hate to hear that anyone has cancer. Best wishes to he and his family.

May 20, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  23. To Kennedy Family.

My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Honestly, can that family get a break for once. I feel for them.

May 20, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  24. Tex

God bless you Ted! God bless your family and all that they have done for this country. You are in our hearts, prayers and thoughts.

May 20, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  25. Stacy Clarks

MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE KENNEDY FAMILY!!!

MAY GOD BE WITH YOU!!!

People, no matter what side of the political scale you are on, please refrain from making this a political issue, and please do not be mean spirited!!

after all, we are all human beings!!!

May 20, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |