May 20th, 2008

Kennedy seizure caused by brain tumor

Sen. Kennedy has endorsed Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) - The hospital treating Sen. Edward Kennedy said Tuesday that the Democratic senator has a malignant brain tumor.

The tumor was the cause of his seizure on Saturday, according to a statement from the doctors treating the 76-year-old at Massachusetts General Hospital.

While such tumors are usually treated by a combination of radiation and chemotherapy, Kennedy's doctors said "decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis."

"Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol."

Kennedy "remains in good overall condition and is up and walking around the hospital," the statement said.

He was airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital on Saturday, and has remained hospitalized since then.

(updated with additional information 1:30 p.m.; full hospital statement after the jump)

Drs. Lee Schwamm and Larry Ronan of Massachusetts General Hospital, where Kennedy is being treated, released this statement Tuesday:

"Over the course of the last several days, we've done a series of tests on Senator Kennedy to determine the cause of his seizure. He has had no further seizures, remains in good overall condition, and is up and walking around the hospital. Some of the tests we had performed were inconclusive, particularly in light of the fact that the Senator had severe narrowing of the left carotid artery and underwent surgery just 6 months ago.

"However, preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal-lobe. The usual course of treatment includes combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy. Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis. Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol. He remains in good spirits and full of energy."

Full story

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. Dopamine

Sen. Kennedy will be in my prayers....

May 20, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. MD

I wish you well, Senator.

May 20, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  3. Fred

As someone with a Mom who has brain tumor, I send my best to Senator Kennedy and his family.

The Kennedys and the Senator have done so much for this country. I pray that the indominable Kennedy spirit will help him fight this.

Stay strong Ted! Get well! We need you!

May 20, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. Rob in Philly

I just want to send my thoughts and prayers out to Senator Kennedy and his family Get well soon your in my prayers.

May 20, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. OAS

Thank God the Democratic Party has a young candidate running for President. I hope Senator Kennedy recovers speedily.

May 20, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. IwishHimWell

I wish Sentor Kenedy the best of wishes he is one of kind senotor, I know God will be with him for the sake of the hard working americans who depend on the decision made by the honorable man Teddy Kenedy. God be with him and heal his tumor.

May 20, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  7. Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

WE WISH YOU A FAST RECOVERY.

YOU & YOUR FAMILY ARE IN OUR CONSTANT PRAYERS.

May 20, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. carlo

I am absolutely heartbroken! It's like losing an entire era. God bless Teddy Kennedy. He fights for ALL people, even those who hate his guts.

May 20, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  9. Leah DiMarco, Texas

We are praying for Senator Kennedy and his family. God be with them at this hour of need.

May 20, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  10. GLORIA

HE IS A GREAT FIGHTER AND YOU WILL BE BACK TO CONTINUE. MY PRAY.ER AND THOUGHT IS WITH YOU AND FAMILY. AMEN.
    TO KENNEDY FAMILY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CHURCH HOME PLEASE FIND ONE WHERE THE BIBLE IS TAUGHT

May 20, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  11. Ex Clinton supporter

Hope the Senator pulls out of this ok, you really have to feel for him and his family.
    Lieberman/Clinton 08

May 20, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. Zelda of Pittsburgh

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I wish Sen. Kennedy the best as he battles this latest foe. I know he knows how to fight the good fight. I wish him and his family all the best. I know the treatment will be successful.

May 20, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  13. Heidi

I wish him the best. He seems to be a really good guy a true american icon.

May 20, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  14. Keith Bonds

Horrible, horrible, horrible news. I'm sure we ALL will keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

May 20, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  15. Wish you well

No matter what your ideology is, this man is a lion and one of the greatest senators in American history. I hope he gets well soon.

May 20, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  16. Anne E.

The Senator has overcome myriad trials and tribulations in his public and private life, and he'll overcome this, too. Best wishes, Godspeed, and thanks for your lifelong public service! You're the best!

May 20, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  17. peter

My prayers goes to him and his families.He sure is a good servant of this nation.Not just democrats and republicans but true leader.

May 20, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  18. SHIRLEY-OHIO

God bless you and he will keep you in his prayer. You are a strong man and you will get through this. God do not keep the good down too long especially when they have a mission. Again, God bless.

May 20, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  19. Mel

Our prayers are with Senator Kennedy and his family. We will pray for a full recovery.

May 20, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  20. Ezequiel Hernandez

My Families prayers are with the Kennedy Family.

Senator Kennedy is a TRUE american Hero! A great Senator that has championed The RIGHTS of all people!

May God watch over him at this crucial time, and may he help him get through this hard time.

The People's Senator!!!!!!!

Ezequiel
    Dumfries VA

May 20, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  21. Prayers.....

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your love ones........
    With God's present -wishing you a speedy recovery.

May 20, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. Ken Pittsburgh

To the Kennedy family

To a person who as given much to the nation the nation will extend her hand to support you. The Senator will fight this like all of the other fights that he as taken on.

May 20, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  23. y

best wishes to the Kennedy family....

May 20, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  24. MAD AS HELL & NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE

Typical to use a photo of Kennedy that has Barack Obama in it. Typical CNN style.

May 20, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |