May 20th, 2008

Some KY Clinton supporters doubtful she can claim nomination

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/20/art.kyclinton.ap.jpg caption="Clinton's victory party supporters were pragmatic about her chances."] LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) – The crowd at Hillary Clinton’s Kentucky victory party Tuesday night was a cross-section of the state’s Democratic base – the mostly white, working-class voters swayed less by Obama’s lofty message of hope and change than Hillary Clinton’s solutions-oriented stump speech.

“He was inspirational for the first couple of months and I can see why people were voting for him,” said Eric Felddausch, an 18 year-old sophomore at Kentucky Wesleyan College. “It’s more about the experience for me. Obama seems almost naïve to think that he can just sit down with leaders like Ahmadinejad and Raul Castro. Just shows his inexperience and shows he hasn’t been around Washington long enough.”

Standing a few feet away was Ann Regan, a retired Floridian who had come up to Kentucky volunteer for the campaign after contributing the maximum amount allowed.

“I thought it would be good to work in a state where when you go to the polls your vote will count,” said Regan, adding that she doesn’t fault the Obama campaign for not wanting to include Florida’s votes as they stand. “He wants to win so I can’t blame him for that, it’s politics right now.”

Supporters held posters behind Clinton exclaiming, “Count Every Vote” as she delivered prepared remarks to thunderous applause from the crowd.

But as for Clinton’s shot at converting big back-to-back wins in West Virginia and Kentucky into the nomination, both Regan and Felddausch were doubtful.

“It looks like the chances are slim, I’m not going to say none, but they’re slim,” said Regan.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Get Over It

Duh!!!! who still thought she could win???? must be an uneducated, white, blue collar worker and male????? Oh from Kentucky or WV...

Obama 08

May 20, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  2. Electress

Thank you Kentucky. Remember what Hillary said: I'm going until we
    have a nominee, whoever SHE may be! We are the true believers!

Great organizing in Kentucky, thank you!

May 20, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  3. Call it down the middle

What does chain smoking have to do with the issues at hand? Our fine service men and women are losing battles to keep their homes and stay alive, and we are talking about this nonsense. This is why I am irritated by the way things are being handled. We are fighting with one another over Wright and other complete non-sense and our young men and women are dying. And so many people are holding their pride so strongly that the'd rather elect Mcain and see our sevice men and women suffer, than use their heads and support the other cadidate. I support Obama, but I'd just as soon vote for Hillary, as long as we correct the course our country is on. My friends have served and suffered due to this war along with thousands of other families that have lost those closest to them and Hillary supporters are talking politics.

I quote Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along."

Come on dems let's get our service men and women safe regardless of the candidate. It's really not about them it's about what's best for us. Lets unite and crush the repub's instead of fighting each other.

May 20, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  4. L.A. Atlanta, GA

(1) So, an 18 year old college college student knows more about foreign relations than a 47 year old U.S. Senator ON the Foreign Relations Committee. Give me a break. We know what we see and what the media tells us. We don't know how savage or civilized these foreign leaders can be. Let someone else have a shot at negotiating some sense into these people.

(2.) Those Michigan and Florida votes aren't worth anything now. Let's accept it and move on. Of course Obama isn't going to fight for those states to have a vote. Whether we like it or not this is still a competition. That wouldn't be smart, now would it? Not to mention if you don't play by the rules why should you be allowed to be included with the states that did?

3.) His chain smoking habit? Really? Are we going to go to THAT now? How about Clinton's continuous dirty politics? Why would you vote for someone that fights for the people that didn't play by the rules in a fair competition?

4.) I've said it before and I'll say it again. Just because other candidates and politicians didn't have the guts to stand up to the media and defend their families doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Obama doing it. Doesn't make him a whiner. Doesn't mean he thinks he's above the rest (even though he is). It just makes him a man that stuck up for his wife. How is that so wrong?

May 20, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  5. cory,fl

we need the super delegates to do their job and pick the right one that will win and pick hillary

May 20, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  6. cory,fl

obama shouldn't run like a girl from a fight like he say he did in west virgina and kentucky, oh he didnt visit much or work that hard their, so that just means either he dont care about them or he dont fight to win only when he knows he is going to win

May 20, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  7. Edwin, Fayetteville, NC

Race is a factor in this nomination, this is the first time in any election that I head so much emphasis placed on the WHITE vote, does the rest of America count? Clinton only won Kintucky and West Virginia because they are racest states that will only vote white even if the other candadate is better. We should be above that as a nation because other countries are using this aginist us. Thats why I say that Clinton is playing the race card because she is encourging white viters to vote white and not whats best for the country. The Clintons have lost my respect as polititions and I would not vote for Clinton if she stole the nomination (Iwould not vote for McCain eather). With as much work a Bill Clinton did fo the black population, in has been wiped out by rhis elecitio for me.

May 20, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  8. mikie

Why would they doubt she could carry the nomination?

Oh, maybe it's because the public has been fed that message from every media outlet in the country every single day for the past 3 months???

Ya think?

May 20, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  9. JamesAAMale

Take it from a black american male. We will never vote for Obama no matter what when where. We are going to vote for true patrotic americans. Anti-Americans do not belong in the white house no matter what color they are and no matter what kind of snake oil he is selling. He is not one of us and never will be. It may be alright for civilians to hate this country but never the president. He has just said that we must change our habits driving, eating, and heating our homes to the liking of other countries. This dude is not one of us. I will never vote for him, ever, ever, ever.

PRESIDENT HILLARY CLINTON 2008 !!!

next best,

JOHN MCCAIN 2008 !!!

May 20, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  10. Eileen from Portland, Maine

I wonder if her supporters that were holding up the 'count every vote' sign that Hillary supplied to them, were concerned about all of the caucus states that Obama won, which Hillary doesn't include in her total when she makes the fabricated claim that she has won more of the popular vote.
    Surely her supporters aren't as gullible as she seems to believe they are.

May 20, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  11. Lisa

I will say it for them...her chances are NONE.

May 20, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  12. Oregon Democrat

Its naive to sit down with Raul Castro? He isn't the same man as his brother – Clinton Supporters need to stop talking like she is some expert on foreign policy, although I've heard shes amazing at dodging sniper fire.

May 20, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  13. Laurie McCormick

I wish Barrack would have spent more time addressing the problems of the elderly. I ll be listening for this issue in the general election

May 21, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  14. Kristina, Seattle

Only SOME?? That is a riot.

May 21, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  15. Hofzer

What? Having a cigarette would be an issue if Hillary did it? News: this sort of trip is not news.

May 21, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  16. Hofzer

*tripe

May 21, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  17. Phil

Lois just so you know Obama quit smoking, not that it matters it is legal last time I checked

May 21, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  18. The Bu

WOW!!!! This makes me wonder...why would you vote for a candidate that you didn't htink was going to win????? We can talk about experience, name-recognition, policies, well, their policies are the same on about 95% of the issues, so it just makes me wonder. Are you voting for her because she's a woman??? Or are you voting against him because he's black??? I hate to bring that up because it's been brought up too much, but you gotta wonder why people wouldn't put their money on the horse that they know is going to win the race. I like HRC, but she has shown how silly and rude she'd be as president. Kentucky actually voted for someone who, as it stands right now, numerically, cannot win the nomination??? I'm still stuck on that. Forgive me. It's unbelievable.

May 21, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  19. Kathy in KENTUCKY

GO HILLARY!!!!
    GOOD JOB IN KENTUCKY. WE LOVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
    HANG TOUGH!!!
    YOU WILL COME OUT THE WINNER
    OBAMA MIGHT BE IN THE FAME LIGHT FOR NOW BUT WON'T LAST
    OBAMA HAS NOTHING TO SAY, ONLY THERE WILL BE CHANGE,BUT
    OBAMA DOES NOT SAY WHAT KIND OF CHANGE , I DON'T THINK
    I WANT TO KNOW HIS KIND OF CHANGE. OBAMA IS JUST A SLICK
    POLITICIAN AND THATS ALL. IT ALL AMOUNTS TO THE GOOD OLD
    BOYS CLUB IN WASHINGTON DON'T WANT TO TAKE ORDERS FROM A WOMAN.

May 21, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  20. Angel

WAIT????? You mean we can smoke in public if Obama gets to be president? Wow!!!!!! I vote for Hillary or McCain.! CNN needs to tell the public he smokes!

May 21, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  21. Inevitable

May 20th, 2008 10:59 pm ET

And they voted for her anyway????????
    ---------------------------------–
    STRANGE >> HMMM???

I WONDER WHY??? (Sacarsm)

May 21, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  22. DemocracyNow2008

She cannot claim the nomination because Obama will get a whole bunch of Supers to finish this off once and for all in the days ahead just watch .

Obama the next President of the United States

May 21, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  23. wolf man

Wolf, your bias shows through and through. I've been watching CNN all night and it has been all but a pep rally for Obama. I have never seen anything like this where a news agency comes across so in favor of one candidate over the others. Maybe I would have expected to see this in Cuba or communist China where reporters are forced in to it, but not here in the good ol' USA. How about a little objectivity CNN, there's a lot more election to go.

May 21, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  24. real dem

Well now, people say O'bama will steal the nomination if Florida and Michigan isn't counted. Ok for those that don't understand.

Rules was set which Florida and Michigan Agreed to. DO NOT VOTE BEFORE A CERTAIN DATE OR YOUR VOTES ( DELEGATES ) WILL NOT COUNT. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. They didn't follow the rules not O'bama gets blamed. How so? It isn't his fault. Blame the states administration for making a bad decision not O'bama. SO if the DNC allows the delegates to be added the message to the other states is "YEAH, WE CAN DO WHAT FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN DID AND HAVE OUR VOTES COUNTED. No please, have some form of discipline or respect otherwise your saying the rules don't apply which means our country is in trouble.

Go O'bama

May 21, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  25. TJ

This shows why Obama has gotten the majority of the "educated" vote. Who is there right mind would continue to follow a losing team? It's ridiculous. It's like betting your life's savings on a team that you already know will lose! Makes no sense!

May 21, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |