May 21st, 2008

Bill Clinton says race card allegation 'revolting strategy'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.billc.ap.jpg caption="Bill Clinton had some tough words for the media and the Obama campaign."](CNN) - Bill Clinton says that he thinks most people in the media are in Barack Obama’s demographic, telling People magazine “There have been times when I thought I was literally lost in a fun house."

In an interview hitting newsstands Friday, the former president said his wife Hillary Clinton has been “outspent, dismissed, denigrated, declared dead” this primary season.

Asked whether he likes Obama, Clinton responded that he did not know the Illinois senator very well – but “I think I understand him. There are enough similarities in our childhoods and things that I think I get what he is doing.”

Clinton said the allegation that he and Sen. Clinton played the race card was a “cold-blooded, calculated, manipulated, and a revolting strategy,” and that his only campaign season regret was speaking “late at night when I was tired, ‘cause if you are tired or angry, you shouldn’t be talking.”

Clinton told People that after her mother lost the Iowa caucuses, daughter Chelsea “was upset, bawled, went to her employer and said, ‘Look, you got to let me go or give me an indefinite leave of absence. I’m not letting my mother go down like this.’”

Does the former president think Chelsea Clinton would consider a run for elected office? “I don’t know. If you had asked me this before Iowa, I would have said ‘No way. She is too allergic to anything we do,” responded Clinton. “But she is really good at it.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. jwilliams

Hillary go all the way please we need you

May 21, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  2. Susan for Hillary

Keep going HIllary.

You will be a good president.

We need one who is experienced, for all the people, and a fighter.

Hillary 08

May 21, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  3. ml

Agree.
    I did not see anything racist in Mr. Clinton's words ever. All is in what people "want" to hear and see. If someone is looking for negative, wro=ng, they will find it no matter what.....everything can be twisted. All was so much "wanted" to paint Clintons bad.

May 21, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  4. Bruce

Bill Clinton is sounding like a rebel military leader somewhere in a war ravaged third world country who does not have the backing of the people but wants to be thrust to power through one way or another. His wife accuses Obama oftrying to idsenfrancise Florida and Mich voters when she agreed to the rules and the banning before the primaries/caucuses there. I think we sould realise that there are so many people who did not go and vote there because of the DNC's ruling i think those are the ones that would be really disenfrancised if the current 'so-called ' results from there are considered. Honest people who obeyed the rules. She is devious and wants to get a free ride to the white house. Wish her luck because she really needs it, i wonder what kind of president she will be , one that would have got the nomination via the back door

May 21, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  5. 1926

Bill, I just adore Hillary and your daughter, and especially you. I voted for you both times, and I wish to heavens you were still there. We are in a mess now. It scares me to death to think Obama may go in. He is not the person we need now. Someone with some sense is needed now. I think the Democrat party has lost its bearings. What are they thinking? Please dont let Hillary stop. Maybe someone will come to their senses before its too late.
    Best wishes.

May 21, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  6. sophia nyc

Guess what, McCainiac?

Israel is meeting with Syria. How's that for diplomacy? Guess Obama's ideas don't sound so bad to thinking people.

May 21, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  7. Gangsta Grizzill

Get off it, Bill. You opened your mouth and the words came out. It seems that Mis-speak happens quite often in the Clinton household. Tell Chelsea to stop saying, "It's none of your business" to your issues of being a Playa.

Don't you have a teacher or someone to try and sleep with?

May 21, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  8. silence do good

Clintons played the race card? What a bizarre media invention. Any loss or set back for Obama has had him whining racism sometimes on a daily basis. Of course, his followers do it every few minutes. It has worked for him, sadly.

Oh no – and a report of of Chelsea bawling – and Bill caring about his spouse – you know – human emotions. The Ozombies will be cruel – just watch......

But don't dare say anything about Obama's spouse! The hypocracy is so deep as to need hip waders!

May 21, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  9. Tyler

Susan stop flip-flopping on who you support.

May 21, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  10. Jerry D

I guess I don't understand when Obama exercised this "revolting strategy". When did Obama ever accuse them of playing the race card.

In addition, Bill DID play the race card after South Carolina. Why else would he go out of the way to compare Obama to Jesse Jackson? He was making the subtle argument that Obama was just a marginal black candidate, like Jackson and Sharpton.

Sorry Bill, like most things coming out of your mouth, this doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

May 21, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  11. Geri from NC

Get a grip people, it's all over for Hillary, she lost, pack it in.

May 21, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  12. Anna

It is a tragedy and it is Hillary that is using it.
    She said it , the white vote is hers.
    Its not true, but we know, everyone knows that her white vote is the
    votes of those that will not vote for a biracial person.
    We do not need Hillary, we do not need Bill.
    We do not need obliteration.
    Hillary is wrong and she will never change.

May 21, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  13. Kevin

Totally agree. It is so obvious.

May 21, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  14. martin

it's not an allegation.it's true.you had your chance in the white house,and you brought shame to the institution,with your philandering ways.get out!and take your old hen with you.

May 21, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  15. Johnny Boy

I don't understand this guy – his actions are indefensible and are the clear mark of a man that knows when he (or his wife) is beaten. Good riddance to both Clintons and God Bless America!

May 21, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  16. Joe Terrogano

I voted for Bill Clinton. I defended him with my conservative friends. But after this election, i have lost all respect for him and Hillary. His a revolting strategy comment applies well to Hillary's campaign tactics, like her and McCain are the only qualified commander in chief, Like the "white" hard working voters, etc. Come on Bill, you really are "Slick Willie".

May 21, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  17. MM

Oh please, the Clintons are pros at politics and time and time again have subtly played the racist card and the gender card. I have tried not to join in with the Clinton negatives but to think that the Clintons have not been calculating the race aspect is to not take into account that politics run in their blood and they will use whatever tool that they can to try and win the nomination. I do not think that the Clintons themselves are racist, just ultimate politicans.

May 21, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  18. No McSame

Check your nose Bill because it has been growing at an alarming rate.

May 21, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  19. Brian D Alger II

Man, I've heard it all. Remember, people saying if Hillary were a man, noone would dare ask her to step out. Look at the republican race, as soon as the canidate was inevitable by the math, the others were pressured to step aside. I think we see more of the gender card than race card here. They are hypocrits.

May 21, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  20. Joyce in Florida

The Clinton's have never started anything racist. The Obama camp started it from the get go and still continue to this day. The Obama staff and campaign supporters keep it up every day. They should be ashamed of themselves. Hillary keep fighting for the presidency. We need you in the White House to fix the mess the Bush administration has made. There is no way that Obama can do it. He doesn't know anything. We still support you 100%. Keep fighting Hillary. HILLARY 08!!!!!!!!!

May 21, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  21. martin

hillary is finished thanks to bill

May 21, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  22. givemeabreak

give me a break... the clintons have played every card in the book, sexism, racism, to overall victim.

don't play dead now - go back to arkansas were you belong...

OBAMA 08!!

May 21, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  23. Susan

Boo-hoo-hoo!! Sore losers!

I have never seen such power-hungry liars! Hillary and Bill's CLAIMS that they care so much about the American people is the BIGGEST LIE of all! They only care about getting into the White House. Why is Hillary trying to disenfranchise the voters from the many caucuses Obama won?? She does not care about them because it does not further her own selfish ambitions. Every day Hillary and her campaign comes up with another metric to try to cheat their way back into the White House.

May 21, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  24. Denice, PA

It is a sad commentary on the state of this primary race. The pundits have been stating what is racist and have backed it up with the words from their own mouths. I appreciate their misspeaking due to tiredness but life goes on. We all forget that Hillary was the presumed nominee from day one and her campaign lost it, no one else.

May 21, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  25. pbj

Bill Clinton is right - playing the race card IS a revolting strategy; too bad it is he and his wife who are doing it.

May 21, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |