May 21st, 2008

Bill Clinton says race card allegation 'revolting strategy'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.billc.ap.jpg caption="Bill Clinton had some tough words for the media and the Obama campaign."](CNN) - Bill Clinton says that he thinks most people in the media are in Barack Obama’s demographic, telling People magazine “There have been times when I thought I was literally lost in a fun house."

In an interview hitting newsstands Friday, the former president said his wife Hillary Clinton has been “outspent, dismissed, denigrated, declared dead” this primary season.

Asked whether he likes Obama, Clinton responded that he did not know the Illinois senator very well – but “I think I understand him. There are enough similarities in our childhoods and things that I think I get what he is doing.”

Clinton said the allegation that he and Sen. Clinton played the race card was a “cold-blooded, calculated, manipulated, and a revolting strategy,” and that his only campaign season regret was speaking “late at night when I was tired, ‘cause if you are tired or angry, you shouldn’t be talking.”

Clinton told People that after her mother lost the Iowa caucuses, daughter Chelsea “was upset, bawled, went to her employer and said, ‘Look, you got to let me go or give me an indefinite leave of absence. I’m not letting my mother go down like this.’”

Does the former president think Chelsea Clinton would consider a run for elected office? “I don’t know. If you had asked me this before Iowa, I would have said ‘No way. She is too allergic to anything we do,” responded Clinton. “But she is really good at it.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. 08ama

Maybe Bill should call his friend Geraldine F and tell her about playing the race card – now she is saying the sexism is from "black" journalists after she couldn't name a specific misogynistic action or comment by Obama or his campaign.

Gerry is making all women look bad as is HRC with her sexism cries.

May 21, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  2. Taka

You tell em' Bill. Keep speaking the truth!

May 21, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  3. Sue

I was a supporter of Pres. Clinton, defended him during the impeachment. I voted for him and his wife when she ran for the senate, twice. However, this year because Bush has made such a mess of things I have watched the election season very closely. I have to tell you, I have never been so disappointed in the Clinton's in my life. They have tried everything. She and her campaign, including her husband, have complained constantly. It has shocked me as to how much. And when I hear Obama complain after the last debate about the first 45 min. of questioning to be nonsense questions, what do the Clinton's do....tell him if he can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen....that's politics. Perhaps they need to listen to their own advice.
    As far as sexism or racism goes...the only campaign distributing any of that is the the Clinton camp.
    It is time for them to retire....both of them....I can guarantee, when she tries to run for senator or gov. of NY...she no longer has my vote.

May 21, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  4. Silly Obama

All of the uneduacated simple white Democrats that you, Howard Dean took for granted, will be voting for John McCain for President.

So chalk up another loss for Deans Dozen. I would rather die than vote for Obama. All of my Democrat friends say the same. In reality I am glad, because Dean you turned your back on us, shoved Obama down our throats, now we're throwing up.

Seems like you old school Dems, Dean, Kennedy, Dodd, Kerry really pissed us off this time. You turned your back on the Democrat's most viable candidate, Hillary. Now we are going to return the favor. I am going to turn my back on YOUR CHOICE Howard Dean, and will be voting Republican for the first time in my life.

At least I know McCain is a patriot, has pride, and shows and has shown his loyalty to his country. Therefore I will vote for McCain with a smile on my face.

May 21, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  5. KE

I really believe Hillary is the only solid candidate with solid constituencies who can win in November.

I just can't see that with both McCain and Obama.

May 21, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  6. Uma Devidatta

Considering all the sexism in the coverage of these primaries/caucuses, Senator Obama does not have a leg to stand upon!

'Race Card'... what rubbish!

May 21, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  7. Make Love, Not War

Sharon from Minnesota:

YOU are what my generation calls a HATER.
    it's great that you can blog all day if you want. i
    may i suggest you do VOLUNTEER WORK in your community?

May 21, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  8. Bill

Bill Clinton dodges the draft...Hillary Clinton votes for war to have that on her resume when she runs for Pres. Hillary then changes horses in mid stream, and says she didn't think bush would do what he said he would do??? He lies,..she lies, we must go back to the old days when candidates had some character. America does not need dishonest leaders.We deserve much better than Hillary Clinton, and gang.

May 21, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  9. pam Eugene OR

I have had it! I try not to be mean but I want Bill and Hill to GET OUT & STAY OUT.
    They are really disgusting smelly old politicians. Go and crawl or slime back under your sledge. Just get out! You are not wanted.

May 21, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  10. Larry

Obama is the one who played the race card, don't forget his educated, deadbeat, welfare mother, ya, they know how to work the system!!!!!!!!!!!

May 21, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  11. Sue

Oh and by the way Bill.....it was the media that saw thru you and "outed" you on interjecting the race card....not the Obama people....so I think you should be ashamed of yourself for even going there.
    You are supposed to be the "elder statesman" of the party. Shame on you.
    I hope the supers step in now and totally shut this thing down before you do any more damage.

May 21, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  12. Kay

don't blame Hillary for moving the goal posts to suit her dreams. "Here are the posts", and the press and her supporters chase them in hordes. "No, there they are!" and they chase it. Never mind that she has been contradicting herself over the importance of delegates and MI and FL votes not counting. Never mind that as past Party Chairman, Terry McCauliffe KNEW what the consequences of breaking Party rules are as set the rules. Never mind that the battle has ALWAYS been about DELEGATES and not popular votes, however conjured. Are Democrats afraid of the Clintons? Imagine Obama being in the position of Clinton. Can you all Imagine what party big shots would be telling him now? I guess some Democrats are more equal than others.

May 21, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  13. MI Luvs Obama!

Would someone please show Hillary's signature that shows she agreed with the MI and Fla. delegates not being seated.

I am a woman Mi voter and I would like to see our delegates seated but in all fairness I think the only way is a 50/50 split or a complete revote, which I am quite confident that Obama would win.

Barack nor Hillary created the problem in Mi or FL, the states did it to themselves, the candidates agreed to it and now this nightmare. Blame our states but don't blame Barack and Hillary....just go home and shut up and take all your Jane Fonda types with you!

Obama 08 & 12!

May 21, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  14. Barbara

I am so sick of reading these comments that state they will NOT vote for Hillary or Obama if their nominee doesn't get it!!!! GROW UP you all sound like a bunch of babies that goes for both sides… It‘s immature; maybe you shouldn’t be voting at all. I am sick of hearing about the WHITE blue collar votes. I am one of them Guess who I voted for.... and some of the votes Hillary has received with the White blue collar folks are REPUBLICANS, with thanks from Rush Limbo.

In the G.E. she will NOT get them…

I hate the flip flopping that continues to go on and Hillary is walking a very fine line, she knows that if Obama doesn’t beat McCain she will get the blame for carrying on with this…

Also this will make it very hard for her to run in 2012 she will be laughed at.

When Hillary was up in super delegates it was the super delegates that mattered and not the popular Vote
    Why because Obama had the popular vote. But now that he is up in everything she wants Florida and Michigan to count because it’s now the popular vote that counts that is going to win this. (It’s flip flopping)

Hillary and Obama agreed Florida and Michigan would not be allowed because they broke the rules, but when Hillary could see that she wasn’t going to win the nomination that’s when Florida and Michigan were important.

Every card has been played in this Race on both sides… I can agree to disagree with a lot of you here. This isn’t about Me or You it is about BEATING the BUSH Republicans!!

I saw a comment on another site that made a really good point–she claims Florida & Michigan are being disenfranchised. But in her use of the popular vote count, she's ignoring the caucus states, thereby disenfranchising them.

I just don’t understand why any TRUE democrat would put another REPUBLICAN in office after these last 7 years, but I guess when all us Dems start feeling more of the PINCH that’s when we will vote our party but I truly hope it’s not to late and that we are not selfish like the Republicans say we are.

I agree that Hillary is a better candidate "today if she would have been this candidate" throughout her campaign she would have WON!!

May 21, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  15. Mak Dix

Why all this contriving and turning the truth on its head? Yesterday it was Hilary with sexism. Today it's Bill with race. What will they not do against this phenom called Obama? Perhaps they need to read their Bibles. They can lie, twist the facts, and contrive anything but God will not allow them to succeed. Failure is the Clintons portion.

May 21, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  16. Chris in Va.

Sharon Minnesota, by all means keep posting!!!! Between you and Hillarity I can't keep a straight face!

May 21, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  17. Over the Hill(ary)

If the Hillary supporters were smart (which according to Hillary, they aren't), you would be encouraging her to step down, and not focus on the Presidency, or VP, or Senate, or any Obama cabinet position. You would be encouraging her to do everything she can to unite the party behind Obama, and then ask her to seek a posistion as a Supreme Court Justice. Under the Obama administration, she'd be a shoe-in, she'd have all the power she could ever want or need, and the legacy of the Clintons would avoid tarnishment. Think about it. It's a pretty good deal all around.

May 21, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  18. w.l. jones

For hundred of years in this country Colored people when they could vote voted for White canidate without any body saying they were voting for a White person because they were White. So I would like to know why the double standard ? The world have gotten to small now for this color or race thing .

May 21, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  19. Elizabeth (MIchigan)

I was a Senator Clinton supporter (Morale and financial). However, what speaks volumes is the lack of class and the blatent abuse of my gender and my State to forward Senator Clinton's 'personal' agenda. My girlfriends and I are voting for Senator Obama.

May 21, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  20. Ilona Proud Canadian

Well folks,

What do they expect him to say in answer to the question "Playing the Race Card"? Yes? I don't think so!

But of course they played the race card! They had this tactic in their back pocket since "Day One" They just didn't think they would have to use it! It seems to me that since Super Tuesday things changed, then every time we turned around, Hillary would open her mouth, open her eyes, and point her finger, all the while bobbing that head, it was either he (Barack) cannot win the big states, I can, when this failed it was, he can't win the poor and uneducated white votes, then it was, he cannot win the "hard working white blue collar votes I can, it was even, he can't win the Latino votes. Give me a break Bill, you and your wife have both played the race card at both ends, and guess what? It only served to show that "Yes Some States Are Without a Doubt Racial" So now we know, and you two were responsible for pointing this out!

By the way, do any of my fellow Barack Supporters, know why the media have not paid any attention to Chelsea on the stump for her Mom? It would seem to me that if they have to mention that she gave her employer an ultimatum, (by the way, the apple does not fall far from the tree. How many of us can give our boss an ultimatum like she did) if they did not grant her a leave of absence. They should at least cover one of her rallies while she was stumping for said Mom.

They have shown us Michelle stumping, they have shown us Bill stumping, if Chelsea is such a wonderful speaker why the black out where she is concerned. The only time the media paid any attention to her was when she refused to answer questions about Bill/Hillary. What is the story here?

May 21, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  21. dirk

following the events it is clearer to me than ever:
    why dear clintons are you forever putting forward your opportunistic interpretations of the events that always make you the holy, honest misunderstood folks and the opponents the shrewd folks turning for inferior reasons against you....?
    if the race issue suits you, you bring it up and then suggest that others did.......
    if the gender issue suits you you use it and if you failed it is because they used gender against you........ (offensive for women!)

in spite of all your claimed experience, wasn't it you who was given all chances to reform healthcare: you failed because you wanted too much, did not listen to sound advice and took the risk: all or none. it became none

clintons, I hope you will continue to contribute where some of your strenghtes are but to replace a divisive bush by a divisive clinton, it should not happen.
    thank you for your contributions to this country, stop here and now to prevent further damage to you and this country

obama'08

May 21, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  22. Humberto

It's just disgusting. The Clintons are so ambitious that would do anything to be back in the White House.

May 21, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  23. Ed

Oh boo hoo...Hillary has been so abused...wah wah wah...Bill Clinton
    is such a phoney! I have to admit I appreciate the laughs! Clinons
    are a bunch of liars and thieves. Hillary has become a pathetic
    clown on TV. So concerned that every counts..she means the votes for HER should count!She didn't give a crap about FL or MI until she
    needed them! What a joke!!!!!!!!!

May 21, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  24. Mia

I love it. Only the Clintons can play the race card and convince their delusional supporters that the Obama campaign did it. I'll be glad when they're gone.

May 21, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  25. tj in fla

Xdem,

I am sure that HRC voiced her opinion to Bill In the White House on more than one occasion (i.e. Gennifer Flowers, Paula Jones, Monica).
    I for one, certainly don't want to return to thos nostalgic times.

May 21, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |