May 21st, 2008

Bill Clinton says race card allegation 'revolting strategy'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.billc.ap.jpg caption="Bill Clinton had some tough words for the media and the Obama campaign."](CNN) - Bill Clinton says that he thinks most people in the media are in Barack Obama’s demographic, telling People magazine “There have been times when I thought I was literally lost in a fun house."

In an interview hitting newsstands Friday, the former president said his wife Hillary Clinton has been “outspent, dismissed, denigrated, declared dead” this primary season.

Asked whether he likes Obama, Clinton responded that he did not know the Illinois senator very well – but “I think I understand him. There are enough similarities in our childhoods and things that I think I get what he is doing.”

Clinton said the allegation that he and Sen. Clinton played the race card was a “cold-blooded, calculated, manipulated, and a revolting strategy,” and that his only campaign season regret was speaking “late at night when I was tired, ‘cause if you are tired or angry, you shouldn’t be talking.”

Clinton told People that after her mother lost the Iowa caucuses, daughter Chelsea “was upset, bawled, went to her employer and said, ‘Look, you got to let me go or give me an indefinite leave of absence. I’m not letting my mother go down like this.’”

Does the former president think Chelsea Clinton would consider a run for elected office? “I don’t know. If you had asked me this before Iowa, I would have said ‘No way. She is too allergic to anything we do,” responded Clinton. “But she is really good at it.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Make Love, Not War

i love our first amendment. i love this country. and i love everyone on this blog. but can some of ya'll seriously chill with the hateful comments? i'm sick of it.

May 21, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  2. Dori in AZ

Hey, Bill, if you're reading. . .

If Chelsea ever considers a run for public office, she needs to get a good speech and debate coach. She lacks ability and maturity in those areas. Her voice is monotonous. She has a lot to learn about projection. Her cardboard wave is almost cartoon-ish. And, then there's substance.... The poor girl is just boring.

I've heard high school students give better speeches and make attempts, often successfully, to handle difficult questions. They didn't grow up in privileged homes and they have not yet been to college. So, if they can do it, maybe she can, too.

May 21, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. LT for Obama

My last comment on this one.

I was reading blog posts the other night on a different article and one of Clinton's supporters said, "Hey Boy..." Now, being African American I can read the racist tone in his comment. It was uncalled for. His name is Senator Barack Obama, her's is Senator Hillary Clinton.

As an AA, I have never used race in my posts and hate to see it when it is used. What makes me the most upset however is when Clinton supporters say that ALL Obama supporters do this. Guess, what? Many, not all, Clinton supporters also do it and far more blatantly than BO supporters.

And with that, I am off. Hope you all have a wonderful evening and a great rest of the week and let's all unite to oust the republicans and take our country back. Personally, pretty soon, I will not be able to afford to drive to work and I don't live close to my job so I have to drive.

May 21, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  4. craig

I used to respect and defend Bill Clinton but he played the race card in South Carolina and then played it again and again. Obama is not the one who said he represented the "hard working white Americans." The Clintons worked hard to paint Obama as "the black candidate" when he is so much more than that. Bill Clinton does not understand Barack Obama.

Lucky for the democratic party, it did not work. Lucky for this country it did not work..

OBAMA '08

May 21, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  5. The Truth

All of you Hillibots who "CLAIM" that you are for Sillary because she is a strong woman and believe she will fight for womens rights are a joke....

When you say "If not Hillary than McCain", Dont you realize that McBush and the Republicans are laughing at you......

He will take away ALL of the things you claim to be fighting for, starting with the Supreme Court!...You think you are going to hurt Obama but in the end you are only hurting yourselfs.......

OBAMA: THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!!!

May 21, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  6. cleareyes

Where is Obama's true "CHANGE"? He copies Hillary's plans, her words. What kind of "change" is that? He is pure puppet, behind him are those old ...old...white power men. They are the ones are really power hungray!

Less than four years government experence, Obama thinks he can CHANGE.....CHANGE... This kind of trademark is a big joke. It is from la la land.

BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY, support the right person for the country!
    Hillary can be a very good president for our nation. She has all the qualities that the nation needs.

Smart Americans, open your eyes, don't be fooled. It's not too late to wake up!

May 21, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  7. John

The Obama supporters see things in one dimension.It would take them years to accept some of Obama's mistakes! Obama has accepted making mistakes!The truth is Hillary is going to defeat Obama,and she will be the President.

May 21, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  8. D.

Yes, President Clinton is right. Obama played all the dirty tricks, including race card, but he just got free ride. I could not understand how people could think this man would be capable of leading the nation? Are you blind? He had done nothing in the senator (he's given time, three years!) before this election, shown no leadership, how suddenly he could do all those things that he couldn't in his 46-years of life?

To tell you the truth, at first, I was also touched at the first time when I heard his speech on TV, it was the one at the night he lost the New Hampshire Primary. I thought, Wow, this man is good. So I start to watch him and do some research about him, and found out he complished basically nothing. In the same time, the more I heard his speech, the more I felt his speech is just empty words, and gradually I just couldn't bear to hear his speech any more. His empty words now cannot inspire me but make me sick. So, I will certainly not vote for him in November.

May 21, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  9. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

What the hell is Bill whining about? Whatever happened to, "Politics ain't beanball?"

"If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!"

Can you say "Karma?"

May 21, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  10. Change We Need

Hillary has the attitude that she is in it to win it. The only problem is that she is fighting within her party. She is not as negative as she has been, but a lot of damage has been done.

I was once her supporter, but did not like the messages, tones or negativity.

One extremely negativity was the 3:00 a.m. phone call–it played into people's worst nightmare or fear of something happening in the middle of the night to their children. How horrible!

That's when I knew she was not the candidate for me.

May 21, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  11. wsu for obama

i can't believe some of the stuff i'm reading from hillary supporters... obama has won the nomination... get over it. on to november folks, time to unite the party behind our man.

May 21, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  12. kj

Susan you are obsessed with Hillary. You are on every post that comes up dealing with Hillary. Get a life!!!

Obama all the way!!!

May 21, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  13. Sharon Minnesota

Aldon Black, you just got a big gulp of the Obama Haterade. Your a sweet guy but working on a lost cause trying to reason with the Obama radicals. They just don't care how nice you are, they love think up silly and unrelated comments to keep their hopes alive.

You sound like a nice guy so try John McCain and Mitt Romney if Hillary doesn't make it. A much saner choice.

May 21, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  14. Jadyn

This is outrageous. Hilliary just can't accept the inevitable. The country has overwhelmingly selected Obama as the Democratic nominee.

This whining, complaining, conspiring and playing on the sympathy of supporters is tiring and destroying the party. If I have to put up with this much longer, I will vote Republican in November to make sure that Hilliary doesn't steal what is not rightfully hers. The party process for selecting a nominee was known from the beginning. You can't change the rules because you're losing. You also can't make consessions for states that refuse to obey the rules. They knew exactly what they were doing and likely had every intention of trying to derail this nomination if it didn't go their way. I made note of the fact that the Republicans are considering the Governor of the State of Florida as VP. Well, what do you know!!!!!!!.

It is time to retire and accept defeat. It's not very becoming for a woman to behave this way.

May 21, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  15. dan

it still amazes me to see Hilliary supporters claim the popular votes when

1) They count, two FLAWED, and ILLEGAL elections in the vote
    2) They count the election where obama wasnt on the ballot
    3) They dont count the 12 states (25 percent of america) who held caucuses.

Ya, thats really twisting and stretching things to make hilliary seem like shes winning. All you got to do is ignore 25 percent of the country because they held caucuses, and include two illegal elections and the Clinton BARELY comes out on top

Ya, you must be very proud......

May 21, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  16. sally

Robert in Toronto, ON
    before you atart acusing bill of using the race card first (in sc) you might want to educate yourself about the "race memo" that was written by an obama camp captain here in sc. she went to see bill speak and wrote down three statements that obama could interpret as being racist (even though they werent). the "race memo" was emailed to the campaign headquarters where it was decided that these 3 statements would be used against the clintons when the time was right. the obama campaign has pulled the card twice already. of course obama will use the race card and has. he wanted us to open up and talk about and now we are. does everyone feel "united" now? dont we all feel better knowing that we are racist? obama seems to think that we needed to admit and then feel the guilt. do we all have white guilt now? okay now we can move on.

May 21, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  17. joywinnebago

Do I wish she'd have talked about gender as much and as openly has Obama has about race? You bet.

Do I understand why she couldn't? Most definitely.

When a woman points out sexism, she risks being called a "whiner." Which, in and of itself, is a form of sexism. Sen. Clinton grew up in an era where you had to play like the men to win, but those characteristics and abilities are then used to paint you as a caricature of a person.

Why did it take the media this long to make this a story?

May 21, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  18. Go Away Clintons

Joyce in Florida – "The Clinton's have never started anything racist. The Obama camp started it from the get go and still continue to this day."

You really need to take your medication. Quote me ONE TIME the Obama camp has made a race tinged comment. One single factiod, not your babbling opinion. Come on, one single time they said anything remotely close to playing a race card.

You better bring the heat, because we have video proof of Bill belitting Obama as a marginal black candidate in South Carolina, we have Hillary saying that hard-working americans, WHITE hard working americans, and we have that crazy nutjob Ferraro saying that if he was white he wouldn't be in the race.

Come on – one single example based in fact.

May 21, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  19. Fed_up2

It's sad what the Clinton's have done during this primary process. The have shown their true colors. Old school, non progresive, I want it all and I want it my way, and I'll say anything to get it. Their exit from the headlines will be welcomed.

May 21, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  20. Ron R

Get ready people...THE CLINTONS TRUE COLORS ARE ABOUT TO SHINE!!!...........Do you really think Hillary is gonna bow out gracefully after the last primary???? She has been setting the media and the people of the US up for the past 2 weeks...trust me.

May 21, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  21. Dmitriy

So it is OK to throw the race card at Bill, but God forbid someone reminds that Michelle who went to America-hating church was never really proud of our country. This just sounds like a typical Obama tactic.
    Hillary should've told Obama and Clyburn "lay off my husband".

May 21, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  22. Dr.Kothary , Blaine, WA 98230

these words from the most revolting couple in the country ??

What they would do to get the nomination...sickening....

They are no longer allowed in our house....even on TV because we are teaching our kids to be honest, accept no discrimatory statements
    show integrity, tell no lies,respect defeats in good spirit, etc.....this couple made it too difficult to explain why Bill was being impeached, we had to explain what he did in the Oval office....not fitting for the highest office in the country !!

May 21, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  23. get with the program

"Anonymous May 21st, 2008 11:18 pm ET

Well finally something was said already concerning the media's attack on Sen. Clinton. I mean, it is perfectly clear how much the media constantly attacks. With the media's constant attacks on Clinton and strongly supportsObama is getting really annoying. I am still a Clinton supporter and hopeful she will win the nomination, but wouldn't mind voting for Obama for the 2008 election, I just don't want a Republican in office."

they're just doing their jobs reporting on the clinton's "foot in mouth" syndrome. This kind of gender/race baiting should not fly under the radar, and we are smart enough to know when she's playin' games.

May 21, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  24. After further review,Texas

She will fight for China,india and Walmart.

May 21, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  25. Reality

BYE BYE HILLIARY !!! Have fun staying in the Senate !!!

May 21, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |