May 21st, 2008

Bill Clinton says race card allegation 'revolting strategy'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.billc.ap.jpg caption="Bill Clinton had some tough words for the media and the Obama campaign."](CNN) - Bill Clinton says that he thinks most people in the media are in Barack Obama’s demographic, telling People magazine “There have been times when I thought I was literally lost in a fun house."

In an interview hitting newsstands Friday, the former president said his wife Hillary Clinton has been “outspent, dismissed, denigrated, declared dead” this primary season.

Asked whether he likes Obama, Clinton responded that he did not know the Illinois senator very well – but “I think I understand him. There are enough similarities in our childhoods and things that I think I get what he is doing.”

Clinton said the allegation that he and Sen. Clinton played the race card was a “cold-blooded, calculated, manipulated, and a revolting strategy,” and that his only campaign season regret was speaking “late at night when I was tired, ‘cause if you are tired or angry, you shouldn’t be talking.”

Clinton told People that after her mother lost the Iowa caucuses, daughter Chelsea “was upset, bawled, went to her employer and said, ‘Look, you got to let me go or give me an indefinite leave of absence. I’m not letting my mother go down like this.’”

Does the former president think Chelsea Clinton would consider a run for elected office? “I don’t know. If you had asked me this before Iowa, I would have said ‘No way. She is too allergic to anything we do,” responded Clinton. “But she is really good at it.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Larry Bevans, Ohiopyle, Pa.

What I would Like to see happen when Hillary gets royaly scwered over by the Democratic Party because of Florida and Michigan. Is that She and Bill would tell the Dems, to take a flying BLEEP. And, then accept a invitation from John McCain to become his VP running mate. Hillary And Bill Clinton dont need the Democratic Party at all. Its the Democratic Party that needs them. I would love to see the day the two parties could come together on one Presidential ticket.

May 21, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  2. Ito, Yokosuka Japan

So Bill calling himself revolting is interresting.

May 21, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  3. Crush Rush

It was reported today in the Jerusalem Post,that the U.S is planning an attack on Iran before Bushs term is up.This was an AP report but no one has the guts to report it.It was on page three of the Star Telegram here in the States.

May 21, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  4. steven

Lets not forget Bill Clintons Fun House. B jobs in the White house.

What A disgrace to America

May 21, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  5. Scott Struble

Practice saying this: President McCain.

May 21, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  6. breanna

so now clint eastwood is being called racist by a black man who says that clint needs to put more black people in his films? omg! see? who i ask who are the real racists? now that a black man is running for president i guess the black people have found their voice?

May 21, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  7. rw in ct

Oh, and Silly Obama above:

Likewise here, Obama, NEVER. Even with Hillary on the ticket. Why should a better, more experienced candidate take second place because she is a woman. Don't accept it Hillary.

I, and many I know, will vote McCain. The mistreatment of our most experienced candidate by the media, a sector or party bigwigs and the uneducated, rude, mean sexist, ageist Obama supporters have revolted us.

May 21, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  8. Charlotte

Obama has played the race card from the beginning and has managed to divide this country worse then I have ever seen. He has evoked MLK so many times it is unreal. He stole MLK's "the urgency of now." I have a dream was played in SC and Oprah was there talking about MLK and black people. He could not even give best wishes to Kennedy without mentioning Civil Rights. I have never heard so much about black people as I have this election. Bill was right about SC, anybody black could win that state. How many times have you heard Obama sound off about being a 46 year old black man being able to run for President? Michelles' "ain't no black people in Iowa." That was in the beginning so you tell me who played the race card.. Every speech he gives has racial undertones. The audacity of hope is all about race.

May 21, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  9. All for Clinton

How do people ever accuse the Clinton's of playing the "race" card when Hillary and Bill have done so much for the African-American. Bill and Hillary have made it a central part of each of their lives and political platform to serve the needs of African-Americans. Their support for civil rights has been unbelievable, and to think that some people would accuse them for the race card is unreal.

May 21, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Democrats Unite............behind Hillary Rodham Clinton. Yeah!!

Good Night, Sweet Dreams

May 21, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  11. Pat M

The Presidential Campaign has become so ridiculous it is just one step away from total lunacy! It's been and still is a three ring Media Circus from Newspapers, T.V. Blog Sites to coffee shops and small town bars!

The only certainty left is if John McCain wins this election and the Repbublicans take over the White House again, America hasn't got a chance of a snowball in, to ever regain their Image, Standing, or Credabilty on the World Stage. They are done. And the Mid East will
    be praising Alla or whoever they praise for next ten decades as all tall buildings fall !

Personally I just don't care. Keep on Keeping On Americans with the hate, racism, and indifference to what really matters. As I truly don't believe there is any hope in cracking through the shell of those who just don't GET the magnitude of this race and the world division, earth shattering, bomb blasting outcome that will prevail given the wrong choice (McCain) is victorious come November. Believe me Race and Gender ain't what's important. President Bush is the largest Attestment to that fact ! Just ask the OBGYN's that can't show their love to women.

May 21, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  12. Terry in Fl

You're our only hope for a democratic president Hillary! PLEASE don't abandon us to that racist man with a dark agenda!

May 21, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  13. Mikey

Sally

How do you know such detailed information about what is going on inside the Obama campaign? The answer is you don't. You're either just bold faced lying or you're casually spreading internet BS rumors.

This is just one of a number of charges I have read leveled against the Obama campaign by people who could never have such inside information. Do you people critically analyze anything? Or do you just swallow it whole as long as it supports your (totally incorrect) preconceived notions?

Is this the kind of crap that is spread around on HillaryClinton.com?

May 21, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  14. Juliemn

Lets all remember these comments AGAINST president Clinton,a candidates spouse, I hope we hear no more whining fromObama or his supporters when the comments are aimed at Michelle Obama.

May 21, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  15. Lea in MI

Bill Clinton doesn't have anything in common with Barak Obama and definitely doesn't understand anything about Obama or what he's doing. I must have missed the news when they reported that Obama cheated on his wife in the oval office, lied under oath and to the american people and then was kicked out of office. I wish the media would just stop talking to him. Both Bill and Hillary Clinton would say and do anything to get what they want and they have proven that to america over and over again. When Bill and Hillary go to the DNC to demand that they include the votes from Michigan and Florida I hope they throw them out on her can. I don't want those votes counted. I didn't vote in the Michigan primary because I knew it didn't count and my candidate wasn't on the ballot. We all knew it long before the Primary. Hillary signed the same agreement as everyone else that said that the votes wouldn't count. Both Bill and Hillary need to drop their claims of sexism, disinfranchised voters, the majority of the popular vote and any other excuse they can come up with and admit that they have damaged the democratic party and distroyed Hillarys political career. But what would you expect from a couple of liers and cheaters then to keep lying and cheating!

May 21, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Democrats Unite.............Behind Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Good Night God Bless and Sweet Dreams

May 21, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  17. Jerry in Fresno : )

That's what happens when you have a reputation for not telling the truth. And it sure as hell wasn't the devil that made you do it!

May 21, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  18. steven

If Obama and his wife had the garbage that's in Sen. Clinton and Bill Clinton life, this junk would of been a major issue on the canpaign trail from day one! There white so it's a none issue.

May 21, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  19. JoeSky

Thanks Bill. The race card is really a revolting strategy. I am sick and tired of being called a racist because I voted for the best candidate of my opinion.

May 21, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Good Night, God Bless and Sweet Dreams

Democrats Unite:

Hillary Clinton or John McCain

May 22, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  21. mr. accavano

BY HANGING ON, AGAINST ALL ODDS, HILLARY IS BEING MALICIOUS. SHE HOPES TO PHYSICALLY WEAR OUT OBAMA BY KEEPING HIM CAMPAIGNING, AND ALSO BLEED HIS SUPPORTERS FINANCIALLY. THERE IS NO NOBLE CAUSE THAT SHE IS CHAMPIONING, LIKE SHE CLAIMS. ALSO, SHE HAS NOTHING TO LOOSE, SO SHE'LL THROW EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING AT HIM. SHE'S TRULY DEVIOUS, MALICIOUS, EVIL.

May 22, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  22. Sharon Minnesota

Democrats Unite.............Behind Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Good Night God Bless and Sweet Dreams

May 22, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  23. tj

Bill Clinton never made a racist statement during campaign. Bill and Hillary have always done good for blacks and all races. Bill Clinton's word were difinitely twisted to make him sound racist for political gain. Bill Clinton only stated what the news media stated and continue to state about 90% of blacks people voting for Obama. That's not racist, that's factual.

May 22, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  24. FL Independant

This two are DISGUSTING and I used to ADORE Bill Clinton. What happened?

The only thing revolting is his aversion to the truth and the tactics he and his wife are employing to destroy it.

May 22, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  25. Larry Buchas

Keep talking, Bill.

He used to be the most desirable voice for the Democratic Party. Now he's the most desirable voice for Barack Obama.

"Change you can believe in!"

May 22, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |