May 21st, 2008

Bill Clinton says race card allegation 'revolting strategy'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.billc.ap.jpg caption="Bill Clinton had some tough words for the media and the Obama campaign."](CNN) - Bill Clinton says that he thinks most people in the media are in Barack Obama’s demographic, telling People magazine “There have been times when I thought I was literally lost in a fun house."

In an interview hitting newsstands Friday, the former president said his wife Hillary Clinton has been “outspent, dismissed, denigrated, declared dead” this primary season.

Asked whether he likes Obama, Clinton responded that he did not know the Illinois senator very well – but “I think I understand him. There are enough similarities in our childhoods and things that I think I get what he is doing.”

Clinton said the allegation that he and Sen. Clinton played the race card was a “cold-blooded, calculated, manipulated, and a revolting strategy,” and that his only campaign season regret was speaking “late at night when I was tired, ‘cause if you are tired or angry, you shouldn’t be talking.”

Clinton told People that after her mother lost the Iowa caucuses, daughter Chelsea “was upset, bawled, went to her employer and said, ‘Look, you got to let me go or give me an indefinite leave of absence. I’m not letting my mother go down like this.’”

Does the former president think Chelsea Clinton would consider a run for elected office? “I don’t know. If you had asked me this before Iowa, I would have said ‘No way. She is too allergic to anything we do,” responded Clinton. “But she is really good at it.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. David D Kollie

Is Hillary Clinton a law abiding person. Here comes January 20, 2009 supposedly when she takes the oath of office, "I soldenly swear that I will defend the constitution..." How will she feel when making such a promise/confirmation when in fact she can not honor the rules and regulations of the DNC?

Expectedly, this is the party she wants to be a candidate for. The rules were made for any state violation, she does not want to under the rules because things are not working in her favor. Bill Clinton said it is not about race but he and his wife are now seeking Hispanics' votes. when he was running in 1992, it was the African-Americans votes. Where was the blue-collars and Hispanic when Bill was running? Now these people matters most them any other group.

May 21, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  2. Sue, Bloomington, IN

How did we ever like this guy or believe anything either he or Hillary ever said!! I'm betting that America is just too smart to fall for this–at least, I pray we are.

May 21, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  3. Change We Need

To Aldon Black,

There is no way for Hillary Clinton to be on top of the ticket. What the people want is CHANGE.

The Clintons are not who you think they are. They are potraying themselves as servants–it's all about power for them.

People who want power, can't let go even when it hurting them and definitely if it is hurting someone else.

May 21, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  4. Over the Hill(ary)

Warren –

I couldn't have said it better myself!

May 21, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  5. amtFresno,CA

Bill Clinton YOU are the one who plays the race card. Hillary has LOST. in spite of your dirty tricks, now you are tying to blame the media, or anyone. I am sorry Bill but I am not moved one inch with your story. I do not believe a word you or Hillary say & do not care about you & your whole family playing the victim now. I do not buy it, not or a second. Your Dynasty is over. It did not work this time, Obama is the Winner.

May 21, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  6. Amazedr

Clinton supporters go ahead and come to grips that you can be loyal to her but it will be at a distance because she is not going to win!!! She needs to stop the foolishness and let Mccain and Obama do their thing for the general election. This is insane and she and her freakin campaigne are doing this on purpose!! They want to drag it out and destroy our party to allow Mccain to win. She knows that she cant win at this point but it seems to be a game to her. The longer this goes on, the worse off we will be. I guess since the "Clintons" cant be in the white house, they would rather have Mccain there. Her actions are enough to keep her out of the white house. As for a joint ticket, he should not put her on it!!! She has been very evil and has went beyond extremes to try to win and that does not get rewarded. As soon as anyone says anything about her, she blows it out of proportion and wants people to feel sorry for her. Well, its time to grow up. We are not in elementary school anymore and nobody has time for a pitty party.

May 21, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  7. Michigan Voter !!!

It Ain't Over Till It Goes To The Convention !!!!

Democrats NEED Hillary !!!!!!

HILLARY ALL THE WAY !!!!!!

May 21, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  8. Karen from Philadelphia

Bill--

Convince Hillary to run as an Independent-–her supporters are 17 million strong and will back her in November. She'll also take a lot of votes away from McCain leaving Obama with about 27%.

If she can't run as an Independent because of Party pressures, we
    will write her in.

Never quit.

May 21, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  9. Steve

Bill Clinton is right. He didn't go far enough. The move by the Obama campaign was gutless. Americans are getting sick and tired of these attempts to gain advantage because of race. It's a cop out.

May 21, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  10. D

Grace,

Keep donating your money to Hillary. I'm sure she really has your best interests in mind and will spend your money wisely.........Yeah right.........might as well throw your money in the toilet. Instead of wasting money, why don't you read up on Obama and not let the media or your misinformed friends make up your mind for you. It's silly to say you can't find anything about the man that you like, he is almost identical to Hillary on the one thing that matters, THE ISSUES!!!!

May 21, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  11. Pedeen

These guys are pathetic! they do anything or say anything in order to win!. Bill you were a good president! please stop tarnishing your legacy!!. With all respects please Just throw in the towel and tell Hillary its over. When will James carville stop giving you dead advice? after the Democratic Party has gone to the dogs?. Please do the noble thing STOP TEARING THE PARTY DOWN TO SATISFY YOUR EGO!!

May 21, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  12. Monique from NC

Keep fighting, Hillary. Our country needs you!

May 21, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  13. TPnTN

First, Bill said that he did not play the ‘race card’, and then he stated that his only campaign season regret was speaking “late at night when I was tired, ‘cause if you are tired or angry, you shouldn’t be talking.” Hmmm… he played the race card, denies playing it, and then in the same statement excuses what he said because he was tired and or angry. Simply put, once he played his hand, he knew that the African Americans (if no one else) could define the slur in his statement. With such a revelation, it was offensive to say the least when African Americans had in times past had vigorously supported Bill Clinton.

When I read comments that ‘Blacks’ are only voting for Barack Obama because he is black I have to laugh! I am certain you know of some intelligent African Americans; hence, you should know that African Americans can and do listen to what the candidates have to offer. After all, there have been struggles for African Americans in this country dating all the way back to slavery. If Hilary wants to know why so many African Americans have defected to Obama when they were in strong support of the ‘Clintons’, she does not have to look far. She first needs to look into her husband’s face, then pick up a mirror and look into her own face.

We have all been lied to, but most of those lies were identified after the governmental official was seated. Unfortunately for Hilary, no one made her lie! Can you say sniper fire? She lied about this with a smile on her face and told that same lie multiple times. She did it all on her own and why? Because she wants your votes and the nomination by any means necessary. I think that fact has been further exemplified over the last month.

The only thing I hope for now is that Democrats stick together in the general election, because we…yes even you can not afford to live with another 4 years of the Bush policies.

May 21, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  14. James in Ohio

Call it down the middle, Obama knew who he was stumping with. Proof is in he issued a press release saying he didn't agree with the performers views, before campaigning together. Much like many parts of Obama's campaign he does what is convenient, says one thing means another.

Sorry, but I think his lack of experience will be more damaging than a McCain presidency.

No words of appeasement will deter me from voting for Hillary in November either because she is on the ballot or because I write her name in.

Obama is a fraud, a charlatan, and I for one see him as potentially more damaging than Bush has been.

May 21, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  15. Lee

Enough already! Goodnight Irene. Time for Hilly and Billy to move along and let the next generation of political leaders have their day. These people have no dignity or shame.

May 21, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  16. Bitter Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

1926 May 21st, 2008 9:21 pm ET

Bill, I just adore Hillary and your daughter, and especially you. I voted for you both times, and I wish to heavens you were still there. We are in a mess now. It scares me to death to think Obama may go in. He is not the person we need now. Someone with some sense is needed now. I think the Democrat party has lost its bearings. What are they thinking? Please dont let Hillary stop. Maybe someone will come to their senses before its too late.
    Best wishes.

------------------

What do you mean? Obama is not much different than Bill himself was back in '92. Bill himself is even saying as much in this very article. What on earth are you so afraid of??? Well, I think the answer is obvious.

May 21, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  17. obamacrat

Michigan Voter!!!

didnt hillary say you votes would not count

May 21, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  18. Chris in Va.

I am amazed by how the Hillary supporters have bought in to her BS hook, line and sinker. Worse are the mental giants who are STILL sending her $$$$! P T Barnam was indeed correct, " There's a sucker born every minute."

May 21, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  19. Over the Hill(ary)

Chelsea's got herself a cushy 6 figure hedge-fund job, but that's not elitist. Chelsea bawled when her mommy lost Iowa. Bill was tired and mis-spoke, just like Hillary did in Bosnia. Where exactly does the truth end, and the lies begin? I won't even bother throwing in integrity into the equation. By the way, remeber when Chelsea was just that unattractive little red-headed first daughter back in the Clinton glory days? I must say, she has blossomed into a fairly attractive woman, even though she has her mother's enormous mouth, and her dad's squinty trailer-park eyes.

May 21, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  20. OMG

For heaven's sake Bill, stop sniveling and go away!!!!!!!!!!

May 21, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  21. Xdem

Odumbo and his people have been the ones to inject race. Especially, after his infamous race speech after he got caught attending a racist church...so, he had to turn the tables and talk about it, you know, typical white people! Even, here the supporters inject race all the time~ if you don't vote for him, you're a racist~Bull, how about the fact that he is not liked, not by the color of his skin (which, by the way he is bi-racial, not black). He will not get my vote along with many other Hillary supporters, which will keep him and his hateful wife from the white house~So, you can call me a racist all you want, I could care less~No white guilt here!

May 21, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  22. Roger from CA

WHEN did Obama ever accuse anyone in the Clinton camp of racism??? If he did, I missed it.

All these bizarre complaints from the Clinton camp of being accused of racism, of sexism, of Obama "stealing" the election (good God: He has locked down a majority of the pledged delegates!!!). Bill and Hillary have GOT to pull back on their attacks on Obama and even their yelling "amen" every time some Republican or other raises scurrilous non-issues about Obama. Doing that may give her a temporary bump, but–much worse–it gives legitimacy to the worst biases and prejudices that some of those "hard working white folks" may have been shy to act on.

They are destroying the party and its hopes in November.

I would have supported Hillary in a heartbeat had she and her followers not behaved this way (and there was NO reason for all this). But now I am more worried that she will sabotage Obama in the Fall, clearing the way for a run in 2012.

To that, I say to her and her camp: We are not idiots–if you undermine Obama for your own selfish political ends, it will NOT be lost on all of us, and you will be blackballed in 2012 if that is the case; also, you will only be 68 in 2016, so prove your loyalty to the principles that the Democratic party stands for now and in 2012, and I think you will find everyone will be VERY receptive to your candidacy in 2016.

May 21, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  23. MP_Pennsylvania

Bill says Hillary mispoke at 11.30 p.m. because she was tired

Bill says people should not talk when they are tired and angry.

I agree, for that reason I do not want Hillary to answer the phone at 3.00 a.m.

May 21, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  24. Ron

Aldon Black

Your post sounds and smells like a Clinton intern. Do they teach fuzzy math at campaign headquaters?

May 21, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  25. Striving for Truth In The U.S.A.

This is so revolting. For him to even try to say that he and Senator Obama have the same background is an insult. He has insulted African Americans, Latinos, Asians, Indians, Africans etc. Hillary and Bill need to be ashamed of themselves, from the time he became president and before he was sleezy and she lied in court and was not put in jail. They never said anything about Paul vs Clinton. They have not said anything about their child molesting Preacher, they are very, very, good friends with MCCain and Hillary use to be a Republican. The Clintons have and still are doing corrupt things and telling lies and not being called on the carpet about anything. It is as if the Democratic Party especially the Super D's are AFRAID of the Clintons. What do they have over most of them that they cannot boot her out of this campaign. The man has gotten more than the amount of delegates to win the nomination, so what is the problem?

Get it together Dems
    Put Bill/Hill out of this ugly cycle, they are making the Dems look terrible.

May 21, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |