May 21st, 2008

Bill Clinton says race card allegation 'revolting strategy'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.billc.ap.jpg caption="Bill Clinton had some tough words for the media and the Obama campaign."](CNN) - Bill Clinton says that he thinks most people in the media are in Barack Obama’s demographic, telling People magazine “There have been times when I thought I was literally lost in a fun house."

In an interview hitting newsstands Friday, the former president said his wife Hillary Clinton has been “outspent, dismissed, denigrated, declared dead” this primary season.

Asked whether he likes Obama, Clinton responded that he did not know the Illinois senator very well – but “I think I understand him. There are enough similarities in our childhoods and things that I think I get what he is doing.”

Clinton said the allegation that he and Sen. Clinton played the race card was a “cold-blooded, calculated, manipulated, and a revolting strategy,” and that his only campaign season regret was speaking “late at night when I was tired, ‘cause if you are tired or angry, you shouldn’t be talking.”

Clinton told People that after her mother lost the Iowa caucuses, daughter Chelsea “was upset, bawled, went to her employer and said, ‘Look, you got to let me go or give me an indefinite leave of absence. I’m not letting my mother go down like this.’”

Does the former president think Chelsea Clinton would consider a run for elected office? “I don’t know. If you had asked me this before Iowa, I would have said ‘No way. She is too allergic to anything we do,” responded Clinton. “But she is really good at it.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Sharon Minnesota

The Clintons being racists is ludicrous. Racists is when 90% of your own race supports you. If 90% of whites supported only a white candidate, there would never be a black president or a person of any color. Being a racist is when you stand in a pulpit for a lifetime and rant against another race. Racism is ugly and the Clintons have never spoken out of turn.

What a complete joke the Campaign of the first black man running for president has been. It's a real shame that it had to be Barack Obama.

Clinton and/or McCain 08

May 21, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  2. rexx

Well Bill the Democrats have been playing the race card against Republicans for 40 years so it flew back in your face. Sounds like the excuse train for why Obama loses in November is warming up " he must have lost because Americans are racist" ..... no he will lose because he is a Left wing nut job from the Peoples' Republic of Chicago and has only been a Senator for 2 freaking years.

May 21, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  3. Dan

Hillary doesn't constantly play the gender card? Really?

May 21, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  4. phil, philly

chelsey running for office. well, she does have her parents' willingness to lie right to peoples' faces. and most people are dumb and sadly uninformed, so i guess she does have a shot.

May 21, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  5. Raghu

Oh please, this is the exact same excuse Sen. Clinton used to explain the sniper fire.

May 21, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  6. Bob

Great stuff, you couldn't write this better if you tried. A country has to overcome it's latent racism to prosper or give in to it and watch the economy go down with the hapless, hopeless Republican party. Divine providence has put America between a rock and a hard place. This will be fun to watch 😉

May 21, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  7. Over the Hill(ary)

rock May 21st, 2008 10:29 pm ET

One of our greatest Presidents ever. I can't believe that the next Presidential candidate who will have slightly less years of qualifying experience than the current one running is a student who just comes out of school. If anything I would blame Bush for creating an atmosphere where Presidential quality no longer is a concern for the American public, at least on the Democratic side.
    --------------------------------
    Poor mis-informed Hillary supporter. Obama has been in public service for 20 years! Why do people, especially Hillary, try to legitimize her time as First Lady as credible experience? Does experience by proxy count? If that's the case, then Robin Givens (ex-wife of former heavy weight champ Mike Tyson) can say she was once the heavy weight champion of the world, or Elin Nordgren (Tiger Woods wife) can now say she is the best golfer in the world? This whole experience thing is a slippery slope if we dissect it enough. What Hillary might have in experience, she falls flat on her face when it comes to judgement.

May 21, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  8. Michigan Voter !!!

No One Has 2210 Delegates !!!! We're Going All The Way To The Convention !!! . Michigan NEEDS A STRONG PRESIDENT !!!! .

HILLARY Or John McCain 2008

May 21, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  9. tom

Bill, please do us a favor and just shut up. You no longer have relevance. This from a Republican.

May 21, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  10. Dave

Her supporters should help her pay her debts first before they ask her to stand up for them. LOL...

May 21, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  11. George Ennis from Toronto, Canada

There is a new book out called the "Great Derangement" by Matt Taibbi. It really helps explain how the Clintons have gone as far as they have in these primaries. It also helps explain how Bill Clinton can continue to make what can at best be described as comments totally detached from reality or blatant lies. The sad part is to see so many people accepting this as the truth. To paraphrase Taibbi: it's all a con that is done with the consent of the conned. Which is what gives it strength. If enough people agree to believe, it is real.

May 21, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  12. White female voter

Barack Obama took on the mighty Clinton machine and is winning this contest fair and square.
    I am 60, white and female and by all accounts should be voting for Hillary. However, both Clintons have played the race, gender and victim card too many times, their lack of integrity is a turn off. I don't like being lied to, she is not worthy of my vote (which she actually said didn't count anyway because it was given in one of the smaller caucus states).

May 21, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  13. Edwin, Fayetteville, NC

Mr. President (former) I once supported and voted for you twice, I'm not saying that you are a racist but you and Sen. Clinton has and are playing the race card. I am very disappointed in you and have lost respect for you and your wife as politicians. I have not heard Sen. Obama sat anything bad about her and he has always been polite to her. You started this mess in South Carolina whether you admit it or not, the two of you are doing all you can to discredit Obama so he can lose the November election. You and your wife have committed political suicide and if you are to change that, you need to begin now to help Obama unite the party and win the election. I do not think Sen. Clinton would be a good VP but she could do other things that could help Obama to become presided. If I were you, I would be careful what I say because YOU!!! Still have lots of dirt to answer for, Monica is still in the mines of voters.

May 21, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  14. A Canadian

I wish all you American's would see that if Hillary gets in, this is EXACTLY what the next 4 years will be like. If anything does NOT go the Clinton way, be prepared to endure the Clinton Spin machine....time after time after nauseating time.....again.

The world needs truth from the US President, for a change.

Canadians for Obama.

May 21, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  15. Candis

Most Arkansans know and understand the life and legacy of the Clintons. 2008 is the year of revealing. The #8 in Biblical numerics mean "new beginning" . The Clintons breed on the short – comings of people -seek ing people who are economically distressed. That is their reason for drawing Black and Hispanics in their circle. That is one of the reason for Hillary big victories in economically depressed areas such as WV and Kentucky. She and Bill Clinton do their demographics on economically distressed areas – areas where they know that certain demographics have problems with blacks or Hispanic. It is a divisive tactic Bill and Hillary Clinton are very divisive. To allow the Clintons back into the White House would destroy this country.

May 21, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  16. Sharon Minnesota

Fabulous speech by Clinton today. She needs to give it her all and get tough. Don't fall for all the accusations and intimidation from the DNC and Obama supporters. It's all a big act. Nothing to lose now, so go for it.

May 21, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  17. sally

i guess i just dont understand. it seems like i should, what with all of my education, but i just dont. why is it racist when hillary says that she gets the white vote and obama gets the black vote? why is it racist for white folks to overwhelmingly vote for clinton in a state that has less than say 7 or 8 percent black but its not racist to get 90% or more of the black vote? why are whites racist when they vote for obama (along with 90% of the blacks) but bolacks are not racist when they do not vote for hillary at all? see im confused about this because i know that obama gets the black vote but im not a racist person. this is a fact that everyone keeps bringing to my attention. so why is it racist when hillary gets the same amount of white voters? please help me to understand.

May 21, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  18. No McSame

I wonder why is she broke if she has so many people on her side?

May 21, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  19. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

Why all the Guilt Bill?
    Sour Grapes Bill?
    Would you Like some more Cheese with that sour grape Whine?

Hillary Loves those "Hard working people, White people.."

I guess Obama advised her to use that statement instead of leaving it where she found it...

LOL 🙂

May 21, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  20. Kaylee

These Clinton slimeballs will say anything to stay in power! Oh, and Chelsie! Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just demand from our employers an indefinite leave of absence! She wouldn't be doing that if mommy & daddy didn't have 110 MILLION in the bank!

May 21, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  21. mike

Yeah Bill, but it's not revolting when Hillary says "Obama is not a Muslim, as far as I know"? It's not revolting when Hillary goes on record stating her and McCain are qualified for the presidency, but she wouldn't say that of Obama? It's not revolting when Hillary lies to Ohio about NAFTA or Bosnia? C'mon Bill, we have been watching revolting tactics out of your camp ever since the loss in Iowa when the strategy suddenly became to attack and defame. Get Real.

May 21, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  22. Sharon

It isn't that she's a woman, Mr. President, it's that she's Hillary Clinton. Her going against her own written word on Florida and Michigan is enough to seal her fate for me, Mr. President (and I say this as a proud and native Floridian). Best of luck to her in the Senate but she does not belong in our highest office, woman or not. She is strong and she will continue the great fight in the Senate but she is not who America needs in our highest office.

May 21, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  23. Jen B

I am a Democrat who has a severe case of Clinton fatigue and know I'll never vote for them again.

May 21, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  24. Sharon Minnesota

Count all the votes or forget democracy. Hillary is right and should get all the votes cast for her. Obama doesn't deserve to have votes that were not cast for him. It's the American way one person, one vote. No one should be able to twist that around to suit themselves. (like BO).

May 21, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  25. Over the Hill(ary)

Michigan Voter !!! May 21st, 2008 10:44 pm ET

HILLARY Or John McCain 2008
    ======================================================

Couldn't agree with you more. We do need a strong president. That's why you should vote for Obama, instead of McAncient. Hillary is a non-factor at this point. She's dead to me.

May 21, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |