May 21st, 2008

Carter: Obama-Clinton ticket unlikely

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/21/art.carter.gi.jpg caption="Carter says a joint Obama-Clinton ticket is unlikely."](CNN) - Hillary Clinton would accept the No. 2 spot on the Democratic ticket, but it's highly unlikely Barack Obama will offer it to her should he be the party's nominee, former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday.

Speaking during a question and answer session at an event in Houston Tuesday night, Carter said, in his view, it's not impossible the two could pair up for the general election. But the former president said Obama will most likely search for a different vice presidential candidate.

"I think it would be highly unlikely for Obama to ask her to take it," Carter said. "Because I don't see how it would help his ticket. I think he needs somebody like a [former Georgia Sen.] Sam Nunn, but I won't name others.”

"But I think if he asked her, she would take it," Carter added.

Carter also said a unity ticket would likely help the party come together after the prolonged and at times divisive primary race. But he stopped short of saying such a ticket would be the strongest Democrats could field

"That would be the ticket the republicans would favor I think," he said.

Carter, a Democratic superdelegate, has yet to formally endorse a candidate, but he has strongly hinted he is in favor of Obama.

1. Jean

There are many, many good candidates for VP for Obama including Sen. Jim Webb, Gen. Clark, Sen. Dodd, Gov. Richardson, Gov. Rendell. This is just a tiny bit of a long list. If Sen. Clinton wants to be on the VP list, she can take positive steps to support Obama.

May 21, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  2. Mike, NJ

A joint ticket would probably hurt the party more than anything. Clinton did nothing but attack and divide this party and does not deserve to be VP.

We don't want or need Clinton supporters who won't vote for Obama. We got this far without you and we'll be laughing all the way to the White House!

That and we don't want Billy Boy in the White House again, sneaking into the oval office for a session with an intern.

Obama '08

May 21, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  3. Carolyn

Richard what planet are you living on MARS!

You are just like all the other unecudate people who can't see past color

May 21, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  4. Alison B

It is a shame that people are so foolish that they would rather suffer for another four years rather than go with change.

Well all those who want to vote for McCain because they support Clinton and she is not the nomiee are so foolish.

Clinton and Obama are basically on the same page in terms of
    healthcare, education, economy but I guess that is not sufficient. All I can say I hope they don't complain when, their taxes are increased, still no proper healthcare, loose their homes and more of their jobs get shipped off somewhere else and of course the tax payers money that is spent for this Iraqi war continues and more of our children die in a war that should have never been waged.

I read all these comments and they are haters from both fronts Clinton and Obama yall need to just stop and band together to unify so that the Democratics can head to the White House come January 2009

May 21, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  5. Sick of the Hype

Jimmy Carter's comments are as sexist as any I've heard! Hilary Clinton would accept the second spot–where women have always been placed by egotistical males. Other countries have been governed well by women, but the good ol' USA has to stay macho!

Get a grip, America!

May 21, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  6. Miss Mary Mack

Everybody is cracking me up saying that Obama has no experience and can’t run the country. SURELY he’ll do a better job than Bush; shoots my 86 year old grandmother with Alzheimer can do better than Bush.

Give me a break! Stop whining and pouting. You bloggers are acting worse than my 4 year old daughter throwing a temper tantrum. Good grief!

May 21, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  7. nan-pennsylvania

CNN – LETS GET REAL, THERE IS AN OLD SAYING, "SORE LOSER"
    GET A GRIP HILLARY SUPPORTERS, FACE THE MUSIC, SHE IS
    RUINING THE PARTY, AS FOR "BILLY BOY" HER HUSBAND, I'VE
    HAD MY FILL OF HIS MUG. THIS WASN'T "HIS" CAMPAIGN, BUT
    SOME PEOPLE I HAVE TALKED TO (OVER 60) FEEL A VOTE FOR
    HILLARY MEANS ANOTHER FOUR YEARS OF BILLY BOY, WAKE
    UP DEMOCRATIC'S. REMEMBER ALOT OF THESE WIN'S ARE
    REPUBLICAN'S WANTING HILLARY SO MCCAIN WILL TAKE OVER
    WHERE BUSH LEFT OFF, WE ARE BEING BUSHWACKED BY THE
    REPUBLICANS. BE SMART VOTE FOR THE PEOPLE.

May 21, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  8. chris

the electoral maps (electoral-vote.com) shows Senator Clinton as the only Democrat who can win in November....

May 21, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  9. david levenick

President Carter hopefully is right. Picking Hillary Clinton as his VP would be a contradiction of everything Obama stands for. If you ever watched the show "Prison Break" the woman that makes it to the presidency there makes me think "Wow, that is Hillary Clinton" evil, deceitful, immoral, scheming and do anything to get and keep power. When anyone is caught in a lie and then they claim that they "Misspoke" this is utter rubbish. Hillary Clinton seems willing to say or do anything. Whether right or wrong, true or false nothing is to get in her way to satisfy her ego. When she claims she wants to serve the American people, it is only a fallacy as the only person she wants to serve is herself. If I was an American I would surely put all my efforts behind Obama.

May 21, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  10. Lance

Who cares what this fool has to say? He was one of the worst presidents in American history.

May 21, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  11. MA from La

Hillary, put on your boots, your ten-gallon hat and strap on your holster with your six-shooters. Meet with Obama and tell him you don't want to be his v.p. and you don't need his money because you will be running as an independent and that you will be writing a tell all book about all those you "know" since coming to Washingston! I bet you could tell some good stories and recup all of the money you had to loan your campaign!

May 21, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  12. No WAY!

I wouldn't trust her or her husband on Obama's ticket.
    They have done every thing in their power to render him unelectable including releasing the tapes of REV WRIGHT to drive a wedge between he and the so-called White Blue collar workers (Uneducated racist morons).

They would do everything in their power to undermine him, or even set him up so she could be crowned Queen of America...President.

The fact that she and her husband are happily accepting the votes of confessed BIGOTS and RACISTS really speaks volumes as to their moral fiber.

Obama does not need RACISTS in "Blue collar" clothing to win the Presidency, HE WILL WIN THE PRESIDENCY INSPITE OF THEM!

May 21, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  13. jed

Hillary Clinton would destroy Obama's chances in the GE.

The Republicans would come out in droves to keep the Clintons out of the White House.

I would not vote for Obama if he put Hillary on the ticket. The Clintons are criminals.

That is why the Republicans are pushing for Hillary on the ticket. That is their only chance to beat Obama.

May 21, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  14. Carolyn

If Hillary was so touch 'WHY CAN'T SHE BEAT OBAMA?"

May 21, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  15. chris

obama's bringing in the money and then giving it to the superdelegates who will decide the Democratic nomination.....does anyone else see a problem with this?

May 21, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  16. Jean

Richard, I have been following Obama for some time now, and I've heard him say what his agenda and policies are in his speechs, and in print. If you read a newspaper, if you listen to his speeches, you will hear what his policies are.

May 21, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  17. Sean T. from PA

If Hillary was the Governor of Ohio or Florida and not married to Bill Clinton, she'd be perfect. The only way she'd help Obama is by ensuring most of her people would support Obama. But she has claimed she will do all she can to help the nominee, anyway. Her publicly campaigning with him and his wonderful, party-mending speeches will help Democrats realize that this can be an easy win if they unite. If Obama plays that card and gets Nunn, former GA Gov, or Rendell (a Clinton supporter), or Sebelius (a female), he do much more for himself than suffice with a dysfunctional Obama-Clinton White House.

May 21, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  18. georgia

In the name of democracy ,Hillary has proven to be unfit for any elected office.Lies ,deceit,smoke screens, party & nation divisive tactics while engaging in much of the behavior she accuses her opponent of. She really hasn't done anything for NY . All her & Bill have ever done is a lot of lip service when you look closely. I'd like to hear more about her accepting donations from Iran supporters& their involvement in the situation w/ paul of Calif for starters.

May 21, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  19. A. Harrison in Georgia

"The former president also reiterated that he does not have direct contact with either campaign and is not privy to the VP deliberations. "

If you don't know please be quiet. These commentaries influence voters in the wrong way.

Thanks,

May 21, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  20. FactCheck

> when Bill left in 2001, he left the presidency a very comfortable one
    > including a huge $250 Billion surplus

Oh, I see... and the federal reserve, republican congress and the internet boom had really nothing to do with it? I must remember to go back and white-out all those darn history books.

May 21, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  21. chris

naivete = obama supporter

May 21, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  22. Tee

GREG FROM POTTSTOWN- saying obama shares the views of rev Wright is ridiculous, stop using this a an excuse not to vote for a black man. If we take that attitude the there shouldn't be anyone working for the government. I sure there has been influence on the part of their parents and grandparents. Martin Luther King was murdered only 40 years ago. A time when it was politically correct to hate African Americans who are also americans. How could you judge Rev Wright and not judge your own people.

May 21, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  23. Laura

I really hope Sen Obama does not consider HRC for VP. It would go against everything he has been saying about changing Washington. You will be getting 2 people in the VP spot. Not only HRC but her husband Bill as well. We are in deep trouble. I would not be suprised Hillary tried to run the show once she was asked. She did not enter this race to be 2nd. She will push Obama to seat certain people in cabinet positions and to handle certain issues. With all that "tenacity" she has where do you think it's going to go once she is on the ticket?

May 21, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  24. Susan

Clinton has disqualified herself from VP by her mean-spirited, racist attacks on Obama and his supporters.

Besides, she doesn't get him any states he couldn't get on his own in the general election – KY and WV will undoubtedly go Republican.

Let's get a VP who can nail down Ohio and the rust belt.

May 21, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  25. TXCIT

Obama and Hilary would make a great p & vp as it would ensure a Republic victory. On the other hand, if I was Obama and selected Hillary as my VP, I would have myself surrounded with security guards 24 hours a day, have a taste tester for my food and drink, and never never never turn my back on her. Too many mysterious deaths when her husband, and I sure the term loosely, was president. So the surest way for her to become president is accept the VP position, then Obama dies.

May 21, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |